PDA

View Full Version : Weekend In Chicago: What to do?

s15driftking
09-21-2009, 08:14 PM
I'm taking my new bride to Chicago in late November (19-22) for a long weekend.

We are staying at the Silversmith Hotel on "jewelry row" (IIRC).

What are the "must do's", the "must eats", the "must tours", and the "must smoke here" places in that area? I'd be one block from Michigan Ave and one block from Millenium park.

So far, all i know is that I want to take a souble secker bus ride and also want to hit a couple art museums.

I know there are 1,000,000 things to do in Chicago... but I just want opinions to maximize my trip!

- Bobby

md4958
09-21-2009, 09:10 PM
A chicago must do:

Get tasered/tased by Tom (Icehog3) :tu

theonlybear4CORT
09-21-2009, 09:18 PM
A chicago must do:

:tpd:

:r:r:r

icehog3
09-21-2009, 11:37 PM
A chicago must do:

I will warm 'er up. ;)

HK3-
09-22-2009, 06:59 AM
Never met the guy but I'd like to see a youtube video of you fist fighting him? ;):r:r

Ok, the taser will do. :D

King James
09-22-2009, 07:00 AM
Seeing blue man group at night is really fun. Otherwise during the day the aquarium and museums are nice to hit, or navy pier. As far as food goes some of the chicago area guys can be of more help

mmblz
09-22-2009, 07:04 AM
What are the "must do's", the "must eats", the "must tours", and the "must smoke here" places in that area? I'd be one block from Michigan Ave and one block from Millenium park.
Must smoke here is easy - either in a B&M, or out on the street, away from any doorway. :td

As far as B&Ms, you'll be close to Iwan Ries
http://www.iwanries.com/
Keep in mind they are closed Sunday, as is most of the stuff in that neighborhood (it's really weird).

As far as art museums, the Art Institute is pretty cool. You could spend a lot of time there.

If I had to choose two restaurants for dinner in Chicago they would probably be North Pond and Dorado (get the Duck Nachos). Neither is close to your hotel, so you'd need to drive, cab, or el.

icantbejon
09-22-2009, 08:53 AM
You must go to Ditka's resaurant. Chicago---->Da Bears---->Ditka---->Ditka's Restaurant. It's simple.

The waterfront is great too, they have a nice fair right on the water.

If you go to Ditka's, ask if they have my sunglasses still. I lost them there about 4 years ago and I've missed them ever since.

BTW...Chicago is my favorite city in America.

14holestogie
09-22-2009, 09:04 AM
Harry Carey's restaurant, Hard Rock, and John Hancock building for the view.
All within walking distance from Michigan Ave.

icantbejon
09-22-2009, 09:08 AM
Harry Carey's restaurant, Hard Rock, and John Hancock building for the view.
All within walking distance from Michigan Ave.

John Hancock building was a good stop. Lots of city facts on the top floor.

icehog3
09-22-2009, 10:08 AM
For seafood I would recommend Hugo's Frog Bar.

http://www.hugosfrogbar.com/

Pizza, my personal fave is Giordano's.

http://www.giordanos.com/

If you have access to a car (or maybe even the train), Cigar King is a great B&M.

http://www.cigarking.com/catalog/dir/section/15

King James
09-22-2009, 10:19 AM
You can walk out into a little glass box on the sears tower now....unless it is closed down???? That seems pretty awesome

vankleekkw
09-22-2009, 10:24 AM
Daytime - Museums, tours, sporting events
Nightime - Bars, B&M's, sporting events
Food - find a non-chain restuarant to enjoy. There are plenty. Get some dawgs from a local store and real deep dish from Giordanos. Get some Chicago popcorn from Nuts on Clarke (Half cheddar/half caramel).
B&M - Get one of the locals to meet you at one. There are plenty in whatever area you want.
Stay away from the magnificent mile if you want to keep your money. Your financee may go crazy at watertower place (8 floor mall)

s15driftking
09-23-2009, 10:31 AM
thanks gents, keep em coming!!

s15driftking
10-06-2009, 10:11 AM
bump for B&M suggestions??

mmblz
10-06-2009, 10:37 AM
umm...

As far as B&Ms, you'll be close to Iwan Ries
http://www.iwanries.com/
Keep in mind they are closed Sunday, as is most of the stuff in that neighborhood (it's really weird).

If you have access to a car (or maybe even the train), Cigar King is a great B&M.

http://www.cigarking.com/catalog/dir/section/15

ChicagoWhiteSox
10-06-2009, 12:08 PM
+1 for Iwan Ries

IMO, the best Italian in Chicago.---- http://www.italianvillage-chicago.com/
The have a great wine list to say the least. There are 3 restaurants that make up the Italian Village, all in the same building, go to the original Village which is upstairs. Here is more of a visual- http://www.italianvillage-chicago.com/video.php

Capital Grille has great steaks. I think they are on N. St. Clair, just off Michigan ave.

Blueface
10-06-2009, 01:29 PM
If you were to ask a Floridian what it is you can do in mid to late November in Chicago, specially a Floridian who has had the opportunity to go there many, many times, there is only one answer he can give you:

FREEZE YOUR A$$ OFF!!!:r

However, I would do Giordano's Deep Dish Pizza as Tom suggested.
As others have also said, the Hancock building is cool to go up to.
For me, it would be all about food. That city has awesome food to be had anywhere you turn to.

Old Sailor
10-06-2009, 01:37 PM
I will warm 'er up. ;)

I wanna see that video too;)

forgop
10-06-2009, 06:22 PM
If you were going the weekend prior, I'd recommend going to see Skillet at the House of Blues like me.

s15driftking
11-19-2009, 08:13 AM
You must go to Ditka's resaurant. Chicago---->Da Bears---->Ditka---->Ditka's Restaurant. It's simple.

The waterfront is great too, they have a nice fair right on the water.

If you go to Ditka's, ask if they have my sunglasses still. I lost them there about 4 years ago and I've missed them ever since.

BTW...Chicago is my favorite city in America.

coudl someone please explicate on this, where in particular is it?

Whee
11-19-2009, 08:15 AM
I believe he is referring to Navy Pier.

icehog3
11-19-2009, 10:48 AM
I believe he is referring to Navy Pier.

Not the greatest of weather for it at this point, Bobby. :2

Sauer Grapes
11-19-2009, 11:26 AM
I highly suggest meeting up with Tom for a day filled with Gurkhas. I wasn't able to, unfortunately due to scheduling conflicts, but will make it a point to do so next time I'm there. Hopefully it's sooner than the five years it took me to get back this time.

s15driftking
11-19-2009, 02:22 PM
I just challenged Giordanos..... and lost, AMAZING PIZZA!!! Got through 1 piece.... shucks.

icehog3
11-19-2009, 03:11 PM
I just challenged Giordanos..... and lost, AMAZING PIZZA!!! Got through 1 piece.... shucks.

Giordanos Rocks, Bobby! :dr :tu :wo

ChicagoWhiteSox
11-19-2009, 03:13 PM
Giordanos Rocks, Bobby! :dr :tu :wo

:tpd: Very good stuff:dr

tchariya
11-19-2009, 03:38 PM
I hear Jimmy Figs is a bar that allows smoking.
They bought the adjacent building and use the basement as the smoking place.
You can pass through to it using a stairwell, but you have to migrate you beverages to a plastic cup.

tchariya
11-19-2009, 03:41 PM
Go visit JackSchwartz in the Board of Trade building. They have a really nice place there.

They are also retailers here on CA.

tchariya
11-19-2009, 03:43 PM
Oh and you will be here for the Mag Mile lighting ceremony...I think that is the 21st.

s15driftking
11-20-2009, 06:44 AM
Fesival of lights starts tomorrow, i will there for it.

UPDATE:

Went to Golden leaf tobacco, Owner was Very very nice, he gave me a cheapo cutter for free so i tipped him with an 03 Partgas Churchill, then he retaliates with a San Cristobal La Punta. We talk about the other shop he is affiliated with called Tesa Cigars. He then Tells me about Jimmy Figs and another place called the erie cafe.

Great time so far, Giordanos destroyed me!

Going to the Signature room on the 95th tonight.

What should i do for sightseeing today?

I hear good things about China Town,
I hear good things about the boat tours,
i hear good things about the bus tours,
i hear good things about the art museum.

Lemme know what you think??

marge796
11-20-2009, 07:58 AM
Mike Ditka's restaurant at the Tremont Hotel has a really good steak, he has his own line of cigars too. I bought one last time I was there it didn't blow me away but neat to add to one's stash.

JackSchwartz
11-20-2009, 08:38 AM
Oh man, how did I miss this thread? Sounds like you're having a great time in Chicago. I think the temps are supposed to push into the 50's today so you might want to think about the Chicago Architecture Boat Tour.

The Italian Village gets my vote for a place to eat. If you don't see what you're looking for on the menu just ask them to make if for you (I've never been denied). When cigar manufacturers or guys from Cigar Aficionado come to the shop the boss always goes to the Italian Village with them.

We'd love to have you stop by the shop if you get a chance. We're in the lobby of the Chicago Board of Trade building on the corner of LaSalle and Jackson. The toll free number here is: 888-733-5225 If you need directions or anything please feel free to give me a buzz.

Take care,
Eric

vankleekkw
11-20-2009, 10:22 AM
While you are in town, you have to check out the field museum. It is my favorite and I go every year and still find new things.

Also, the festival is alway nice. You have to get there an hour or two early to see anything. Once the first 15 minutes go by, the floats start to become really dull really fast. All that matters is when the fireworks go off and the lights turn on.

s15driftking
11-20-2009, 05:44 PM
Went to JAck Schwartz today and met Eric, A super great guy BTW, He hooked me up with an LFD El Museo, one of Litto's premier sticks. I was speechless.

Picked up a couple of padrons and a LGC and then the wife and i went shopping. Wish i could have stuck around the shop for a while.

We also went to navy pier and ate at Billy Goats, Heck of a meal!

Earlier we went on the architectual cruise as well as a cruise of the harbor. Finally we ended up going around Millenium park. And now we are meetign some friends we made on our honeymoon for dinner.

Any good bars in the North Michigan area that dont cost an arm and a leg?