PDA

View Full Version : The air is getting chilly, so that means ...

cricky101
10-23-2008, 07:55 AM
it's time for a batch of Steel Cut Oats! Woo-hoo!

I'm going to make some in the slow cooker this weekend. :tu

shaggy
10-23-2008, 07:15 PM
oh no.....here we go again

Nimbus
10-23-2008, 07:47 PM
What is that? :confused:

cricky101
10-23-2008, 08:11 PM
oh no.....here we go again

Oh no?? OH YEAH! :D

Stog-a-Boy
10-23-2008, 09:34 PM
:r I remember this. Might have to find out how to make some!

cricky101
10-24-2008, 06:49 AM
What is that? :confused:

Breakfast fare

http://www.slashfood.com/2006/01/23/slow-cooking-breakfast-steel-cut-oatmeal/

shaggy
10-25-2008, 07:48 AM
made the first batch of the year this mornin......yummmmmmy with a nice hot cup of cuban coffee fresh ground and pressed....best weekend ever so far this week

livwire68
10-25-2008, 10:34 PM
I may have to get some of these to make some oatmeal creme brulee.
Ingredients
1 cup McCann's Steel-Cut Oats
6 cups water
Fruit Compote:
(can be done in advance)
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup water
2 cups of fresh seasonal berries, such as diced strawberries, blueberries, blackberries or raspberries.

Preparation
To prepare oats, bring water to a boil, add the oats and simmer for 40 to 45 minutes, stirring occasionally. Adjust with water to desired consistency. For compote, bring water and sugar to boil; add berries and turn off heat. Combine fruit compote with cooked oats, stirring gently together. Divide among 4 cereal bowls and coat top of each with 1 tablespoon of granulated sugar. Place under the broiler until the sugar is brown and caramelized or use a TORCH like a real man would do! :rolleyes: (of course thats my way of doing creme brulee so I added it) And while you have the torch fired up, whip out a stick, cut and use the torch to feather it until lit! Also can be used to solder, fly swatter and general fire starter.

It never fails!!!!!!!!!
http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q139/livwire68/flamethrower006.jpg

anyhow recipe stolen, but wanting to make!

Mister Moo
10-29-2008, 05:08 AM
Oats! I LOVE steel cut oats with crispy bacon!

http://i28.tinypic.com/35871ww.jpg
(last years oats)

I like the sound of them bubbling on a cold morning.

http://i34.tinypic.com/1z2dnkp.jpg
(this mornings oats)

Famous Steel Cut Oats Recipe from Syekick - drop-dead good breakfast:

Fuzzy Logic Rice Cooker Steel Cut Oatmeal Recipe

1 Cup steel cut oats
3 Cup milk
2 Teaspoon vanilla extract
2 Teaspoon ground cinnamon
Pinch salt
4 Tablespoons ribbon cane syrup
½ Cup cup cranraisins
¼ Cup chopped pecans
1 Tbs Butter

Place all ingredients in cooker and stir gently.
Close the cover and start Porridge cycle.
Note 1: The brand of your steel cut oats may require adjustment to the amount of liquid. I usually just reduce the milk by a 2/3 cup if there is too much liquid.

Note 2: People of the northern persuasion typically prefer Maple Syrup, Raisins, and Walnuts. “Ain’t that weird?” so saith Brother Dave Gardner

Nimbus
11-06-2008, 04:40 PM
I am not a fan of oats in general, but damn that looks good! Especially the bacon. :dr

drunkensailor
11-06-2008, 08:17 PM
Mister Moo, you have created 3 addicts in my house and we shall make you proud. I can't even say steel cut oats without my son responding "with crispy bacon". You and tzaddi have caused me alot of cooking, thank you.

gnukfu
11-07-2008, 07:24 PM
I love steel cut Irish Oatmeal....have to pick some up now that it's getting cold. I put some maple syrup and butter in there.mmmmmmmm

Ron1YY
11-07-2008, 08:47 PM
Oats! I LOVE steel cut oats with crispy bacon!

http://i28.tinypic.com/35871ww.jpg
(last years oats)

I like the sound of them bubbling on a cold morning.

http://i34.tinypic.com/1z2dnkp.jpg
(this mornings oats)

Famous Steel Cut Oats Recipe from Syekick - drop-dead good breakfast:

Fuzzy Logic Rice Cooker Steel Cut Oatmeal Recipe

1 Cup steel cut oats
3 Cup milk
2 Teaspoon vanilla extract
2 Teaspoon ground cinnamon
Pinch salt
4 Tablespoons ribbon cane syrup
½ Cup cup cranraisins
¼ Cup chopped pecans
1 Tbs Butter

Place all ingredients in cooker and stir gently.
Close the cover and start Porridge cycle.
Note 1: The brand of your steel cut oats may require adjustment to the amount of liquid. I usually just reduce the milk by a 2/3 cup if there is too much liquid.

Note 2: People of the northern persuasion typically prefer Maple Syrup, Raisins, and Walnuts. “Ain’t that weird?” so saith Brother Dave Gardner

And that recipe, my friends, is what hooked me last year!!!!!!!

since this, I have tried it with, Sausage patties, Canadian Bacon, Ham, and Sausage links..........

But I keep going back to the Crispy BACON!!!!!!!!

Darrell
11-08-2008, 11:37 AM
Is this a good rice cooker for making oats?

http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html/189-6611203-6389568?ASIN=B000B2YLSE&AFID=Froogle&LNM=B000B2YLSE|Elite_Pro_Fuzzy_Logic_Rice_Cooker_1 0_Cup_B801T&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=B000B2YLSE&ref=tgt_adv_XSG10001

:tu

taltos
11-16-2008, 12:02 PM
Has anybody used Honeyville Grain Company's steel cut oats (www.store.honeyvillegrain.com)? Compared to the price of McCann's, they are one third the price.Thanks for any feedback.:ss

TripleF
11-16-2008, 12:05 PM
Never heard of steel oats before, but it sure looks tasty and it is getting a little cooler here in the south.......forecasted lows in the 40's this coming week!

taltos
11-18-2008, 07:21 AM
Just cooked up a double batch overnight in the slow cooker. For those with a large slow cooker, here are the ratios used:

2 cups steel cut oats
9 cups water
1 cup milk

Set slow cooker on low and cook for 7 to 8 hours. Early on stir about 1 time per hour. I have been spraying the crock with Pam prior to filling and it has eliminated sticking. Left overs will keep for a week if stored in the refrigerator in a container with a tight fitting cover. To keep the cooked oatmeal from forming a skin on the top, I press a piece of plastic wrap over the top of the oatmeal. Enjoy the colon cleansing goodness.:ss

variable
02-02-2009, 06:19 PM
Just cooked up a double batch overnight in the slow cooker. For those with a large slow cooker, here are the ratios used:

2 cups steel cut oats
9 cups water
1 cup milk

Set slow cooker on low and cook for 7 to 8 hours. Early on stir about 1 time per hour. I have been spraying the crock with Pam prior to filling and it has eliminated sticking. Left overs will keep for a week if stored in the refrigerator in a container with a tight fitting cover. To keep the cooked oatmeal from forming a skin on the top, I press a piece of plastic wrap over the top of the oatmeal. Enjoy the colon cleansing goodness.:ss

Did you try the Honeyville oats? Anyone?

I have the McCann's any like it very much. I'd be very interested if this is the same taste & quality.

TIA

taltos
02-02-2009, 06:45 PM
I tried them and have been buying them all winter. They cost me $2.99 for 20 oz at Trader Joe's and 28 oz of McCann's is around $6.00. I can't taste any difference.

karmaz00
02-02-2009, 06:56 PM
now thats a propane torch lighter...lol

variable
02-04-2009, 05:00 AM
I tried them and have been buying them all winter. They cost me $2.99 for 20 oz at Trader Joe's and 28 oz of McCann's is around $6.00. I can't taste any difference.

Thanks for the info! I'm going to order some of their oats and dried fruit :dance:

Geppetto
02-04-2009, 05:22 PM
Steel Cut Oats?

Best used in the following Cincinnati tradition - Goetta (say "getta") :dr

Kid Rich's Goetta

INGREDIENTS:

3 quarts water
2 tablespoons salt
2 teaspoons black pepper
2 teaspoons dried savory
1 teaspoon garlic powder
5 cups steel cut or "pinhead" oats
2 lbs ground beef (80/20)
2 lbs ground pork sausage (half of it "hot")
2 large onions, diced

DIRECTIONS:

1. Heat water, salt, pepper and spices in slow-cooker/crock-pot set to "high" for 30 minutes. Add oats, cover, and cook for 90 minutes.

2. Mix beef, pork, and onions in large bowl. Stir meat into cooking oats, reduce heat to low, and cook for 3 hours, stirring occasionally. (Watch for lumps or clumps of meat.)

3. Pour mixture into five or six aluminum bread pans and allow to cool until firm.

4. Slice goetta loaves into 1/4" slabs and cook on oiled skillet set to 325 degrees for approximately 30 minutes until evenly brown. Serve with eggs, toast, and good coffee. Freeze remaining loaves.

bazookajoe
03-01-2009, 07:36 PM
Just a head's up - you can get a six pack of McCann's 28 oz. tins from Amazon right now for $21.20, or about $3.54 a tin.

McCANN'S Traditional Oatmeal, 28 Ounce Tins (Pack of 6) (http://www.amazon.com/McCANNS-Traditional-Oatmeal-Ounce-Tins/dp/B001DIM8K8)

Choose "Subscribe and Save" to save 15% (don't forget to cancel subscription after order goes through)

Use promotional code OATMEA98 to save another 15%

Total should be $21.20 with free shipping.

Sailchaser
03-01-2009, 07:45 PM
I like mine mixed with 1/3 cream of wheat and topped with dark brown sugar:dr:dr:dr

taltos
03-02-2009, 08:18 AM
Great bowl of steel cut oats this morning with butter and cinnamon sugar. Side of thick cut crispy bacon and a Bud. My reward after the first wave of clearing snow in the neighborhood.:tu