PDA

View Full Version : bachelor stuff you used to do

JJG
09-20-2009, 08:25 AM
well, my lady is moving in with me this month, buying me clothes and generally cleaning up the place lately. I think you can see where things are headed. Don't get me wrong, I'm happier than I've been in a while and look forward to being a married man. but it got me thinking about all the bachelor habits I used to have that would make the ladies turn and run.

to start it off, I used to never buy shampoo. For several years I just washed my hair with bar soap. I also had like 2 bath towels which only got washed probably twice a month. I would eat "little smokies" sausages for breakfast lunch and dinner. If I was feeling fancy I would wrap them in croissant dough. My futon frame was held in the upright "couch" position by an old guitar stand. Had a Kung-fu party when I decided to get rid of my old entertainment center where we basically just kicked the thing to bits and carried it to the dumpster piece by piece. I had a "wifi satellite dish" hanging from the ceiling, constructed from an old vegetable steamer so I could steal internet from the coffee shop next door, similar to this one: http://www.instructables.com/id/Uni-Directional-WIFI-Range-Extender/

After my grandmother passed away I moved into her house for a while to fix the place up. First task, pull up all the old carpet and padding. Unfortunately it was few months before I could put down new carpet, so I just moved my bed and furniture into the house while it still had bare concrete floors. I also had my drumkit set up in the middle of my bedroom.

When I first got out of college, my daily routine was: get off work, buy six-pack, read the internet and play drums until six-pack was gone, go to bed, repeat.

so let's hear it, what's the most bachelor stuff you used to (or currently) do?

gettysburgfreak
09-20-2009, 08:36 AM
golf when I want
go see my friends when I want
watch what I want on TV

RGD.
09-20-2009, 08:36 AM
I've been married for so long (30+ years) that I don't even remember being a bachelor - much less what I even did last week.

:ss

Ron

White97Jimmy
09-20-2009, 09:06 AM
I use my futon as a place to put all of my clean laundry. It's all folded and nice and neat, I'm just lazy to hang it in my closet or put in my dresser. I'm on the road so much and I figure why the hell should I put it away? I'm just gonna wear it again and wash it.

Best of luck with living with the GF. I did it for 5 years before we split. Glad I did it though. You'll learn a hell of a lot about each other, and yourself.

coastietech
09-20-2009, 09:15 AM
My children killed my bachelorhood more so than the my ex-wife or current girlfriend. I was married prior to my first son and still did things "my way". Could be why I'm divorced. :r

The things I miss being able to do are, going to the gun range whenever I wanted, go to the movies, go out to a bar without days of planning before hand.

I don't mind being tied to someone and tend to think I'm a better person with my current girlfriend. I do miss being able to do whatever I want when I want to and that's more due to my responsibility to three children then it is to my responsibility to the "better half"

Don Fernando
09-20-2009, 09:18 AM
Have friends over whenever I (or they) want to, smoke cigars inside the house, spend all my money on cigars, watch soccer when it's on TV, sleep in when I want to, leave the laundry lying around on the spare bed instead of folding it up when it comes out of the dryer, do the dishes once or twice a week.

Hey, still do that, still a bachelor.

JJG
09-20-2009, 09:27 AM
For the record, I don't miss any of the stuff I mentioned in my first post. It was more like a "habits I had to give up in order to not scare off the ladies" post.

Luckily, my lady enjoys the same things I do so I don't feel like I'm losing any of my freedom, but I'm guessing that's also because I don't have any kids yet.

dunng
09-20-2009, 10:00 AM
I miss it all... :sad

Slavac
09-20-2009, 10:37 AM
You guys should have a girl like AmyElizabeth (not her specifically, I keeeel you).

"Babe, I think I want a humidor and to start smoking more cigars."
(response) "Cool! What kind? I've been reading up on these! Let's get you this"

<3

The only thing I really miss is my small waistline. She's a damn good cook.

JJG
09-20-2009, 11:05 AM
You guys should have a girl like AmyElizabeth (not her specifically, I keeeel you).

<3

:tpd: never get any grief for cigar smoking, buying, etc. My girl loves cigars, good food and stiff cocktails. :tu You guys are making me sad though. My intention was to start a thread about the things you don't miss about being a bachelor.

shvictor
09-20-2009, 11:32 AM
I used to have fun :D

Don Fernando
09-20-2009, 11:39 AM
My intention was to start a thread about the things you don't miss about being a bachelor.

That's not what I read in the topic title :ss

kelmac07
09-20-2009, 01:30 PM
<3

It took me 20+ years of marriage to gain this belly...I'm keeping it!! :r:r

BigFrank
09-20-2009, 01:35 PM
I miss so much from my non settled down days.

-cases of beer empty and full littering the place.
-pizza boxes everywhere.
-sink full of dishes.
-I had my favorite drinking cup which, i only rinsed out and drank everything out of.
-magazines everywhere. why put them away.
-I also did the clothers laying everywhere deal.
-I didnt know what a "bodyscrubber", face soap or bodywash was. Irish spring was all I needed.
-no bath mats, or fancy shower curtains. I had good ole plastic warrior shower curtain.
-4 computers randomly arranged on the floor and my table, which I did not eat on.
-about 10 jugs of protein powder in the kitchen
-freezer full of chicken and steak, no stupid lean cuisine meals.
-no fancy hand soaps for the sink, or kitchen. I just had another bar of irish spring.
-shoes scattered unorganized at the door.
-full set of weights in my living room. to have "bench offs" while friends drank 30 packs of light beer.
-tv propped up on milk crates.

Dux
09-20-2009, 02:39 PM
Took all the shelves out of my fridge once, "Insert keg" :banger

gettysburgfreak
09-20-2009, 03:16 PM
I'm sure I would trade some freedoms for sex

pnoon
09-20-2009, 03:20 PM

:r :r :r

Starscream
09-20-2009, 04:21 PM
I moved out of my parents house when I was 19. I never lived the bachelor's life, b/c I moved out of their house and into a house with my fiancee. I'm envious of some of you.

DPD6030
09-20-2009, 04:32 PM

<3

Trade ya ;) :r

Tazziedevil
09-20-2009, 08:30 PM
Wake up in the middle of the night, have a snack, watch SportsCenter and fall asleep in front of the TV again.

I don't miss being single...

MajorCaptSilly
09-20-2009, 09:03 PM
I don't miss the green furniture I bought from a tag sale to furnish my first apartment. I do kinda miss killing hookers, though.

MCS

JJG
09-20-2009, 09:13 PM
I don't miss the green furniture I bought from a tag sale to furnish my first apartment. I do kinda miss killing hookers, though.

MCS

oh man, I'll never stop killing hookers. My kids are going to be all embarrassed because I'm gonna be that old guy still killing hookers when he's 50.

BC-Axeman
09-20-2009, 09:33 PM
This is so funny it bears laughing at again.
:r:r:r

rizzle
09-21-2009, 09:20 AM
I used to chase the wimmenz. Now, not so much. Married life kinda put a damper on that.
:ss

GreekGodX
09-21-2009, 09:32 AM
There is a thread for this stuff already Bachelor Banter (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=14621)

HK3-
09-21-2009, 10:10 AM
Rub the NUB Connecticut in the shower. :r

rack04
09-21-2009, 10:13 AM
As a bachelor I had money and a beer belly.

BlackDog
09-21-2009, 10:15 AM
Used to wash the bed sheets about once per season whether they needed it or not. :r

Steve
09-21-2009, 10:17 AM
I've also been married too long to really remember pre- bride days. However, my daughter was gone quite a bit over the summer to camps and such and I had to remember that when she came home I needed to put clothes ON!!! Kinda got used to running around the house naked. I had a couple of close calls :D

Col. Kurtz
09-21-2009, 10:18 AM

"Those who would trade freedom for sex deserve neither."

Ben Franklin, 1781

ade06
09-21-2009, 10:29 AM
Play golf!

White97Jimmy
09-21-2009, 11:26 AM

Get locked up...No freedom, and all the sex you want :D

ir13
09-21-2009, 11:31 AM
As a bachelor I had money and a beer belly.

And what changed when you got married?

:fu

coastietech
09-21-2009, 11:37 AM
As a bachelor I had money and a beer belly.And what changed when you got married?

:fu

Now he has no money.. Duh!:r:r

BeerAdvocate
09-21-2009, 11:40 AM
I miss having money and buying what I want, when I want it!

gettysburgfreak
09-21-2009, 01:16 PM
Get locked up...No freedom, and all the sex you want :D

Ill pass on that

Dux
09-21-2009, 01:47 PM
I miss having money and buying what I want, when I want it!

Amen :tu

icantbejon
09-21-2009, 02:12 PM
My children killed my bachelorhood more so than the my ex-wife or current girlfriend.

While I just have the wife, I can't agree more to the kids thing. When it was just the wife and I, we'd smoke cigars whenever...Mon nights at a bar drinking beers and watching football....season tickets to the Bills....downtown drinking in Savannah at stupid hours of the night....no concerns.

Enter Kiera

Can only smoke after the kid is asleep or I'm mowing the lawn...Mon nights walking the kid at 830pm to get her to sleep...season ticket to the zoo....downtown to Baby's 'R Us for diapers....constant worries.

Oh well, I love every minute of it. :ss

jledou
09-21-2009, 02:23 PM
I miss only having to cook, clean and do laundry for one person and doing it when I felt like it.

SchizoFilly
09-21-2009, 03:11 PM
Wake and bake while watching ****...my wife hates ****