PDA

View Full Version : What are these streaks on my cigar?

Chingo
09-17-2009, 04:21 PM
Hi all, I finally received a long awaited package of Olivia Serie G sticks. I noticed there was a few light colored streaks/blotches on the wrapper. Does anyone know what they are or if I should be worried? I smoked one and nothing tasted out of the ordinary (then again, I'm not sure what "ordinary" should taste like since it's the first time I tried it). I have a few pics I can try posting if anyone really wants, but I don't think they show up too well.

Great quick smoke BTW :ss

bigloo
09-17-2009, 04:23 PM
Water stains?

Chingo
09-17-2009, 04:25 PM
Water stains?

That was my first guess since it looked like what I imagine water stains to look like. Is it normal? Or would it be something to email the retailer about?

T.G
09-17-2009, 04:36 PM
So long as you can't rub the streak/blotch off with your finger, most likely it's nothing to worry about: sunspots, waterstains, rub marks. If you can, it could be mold.

But could you please post a photo? It would help alot.

Chingo
09-17-2009, 04:52 PM
So long as you can't rub the streak/blotch off with your finger, most likely it's nothing to worry about: sunspots, waterstains, rub marks. If you can, it could be mold.

But could you please post a photo? It would help alot.

Let's try this:
http://lh6.ggpht.com/_CJr2P7Hqcu4/SrK9CgGR6bI/AAAAAAAAACg/abhX0kMegfY/s288/DSC01433.JPG

It actually shows up better than I thought it would. Thanks everyone for the help!

earnold25
09-17-2009, 05:14 PM
looks like dried up pectin to me. can't tell for sure as the pic's kinda small though.

bigloo
09-17-2009, 05:16 PM
Those are sun spots/water strains... smoke em pal! (suprised how many their are on an oliva though).

Chingo
09-17-2009, 05:21 PM
Those are sun spots/water strains... smoke em pal! (suprised how many their are on an oliva though).

Great, thanks for the reassurance! It was a good smoke, a bit strong for what I'm used to especially not having smoked in a few weeks. Had to time my draws too, got hot quite easily (which I guess is no surprise for a small stick).

T.G
09-17-2009, 05:25 PM
Let's try this:
http://lh6.ggpht.com/_CJr2P7Hqcu4/SrK9CgGR6bI/AAAAAAAAACg/abhX0kMegfY/s288/DSC01433.JPG

It actually shows up better than I thought it would. Thanks everyone for the help!

I'm sorry bro, I'm not sure I can see what you are referring to by that photo.

If you mean the discoloration around the veins in the wrapper, that's not uncommon on the darker wrappers. I'm not positive as to why it happens, but I have an idea- and that is that because of the vein in the wrapper, it creates a slightly larger air space in the fermentation pylon, and that airspace results in a lower tempratue or less fermentation, either of which are going to result in a different color. It's also possible that the different cellular structure of the vein might be the cause of the discoloration.

I don't think you have anything to worry about though.

BTW, Looks like an Oliva band... no?

Rabidsquirrel
09-17-2009, 05:46 PM
The G's are turning into my favorite smoke. I need to grab a few boxes of them soon, everytime I open my humi up, I look for one that may be hidden in there.

DonniePaul
09-17-2009, 06:36 PM
The G's are turning into my favorite smoke. I need to grab a few boxes of them soon, everytime I open my humi up, I look for one that may be hidden in there.

I'm with you on this one. I have been loving the Oliva Gs lately. The Oliva G Robustos have been my go to smoke.

I just got some Oliva G Special Gs in the mail today. Smoked one at lunch and they are great too. Perfect lunch time smoke.:ss

Kreth
09-17-2009, 06:41 PM
That really looks like swine flu residue. I've got a buddy with CDC. If you send them to me I'll see that they're disposed of properly.

:r
Posted via Mobile Device

Jimbo14
09-17-2009, 09:02 PM
That looks fine mate, just some discoloration, maybe from waterspots. Nothing at all to worry about.

Doom
09-17-2009, 10:53 PM
That looks fine mate, just some discoloration, maybe from waterspots. Nothing at all to worry about.

Word for word what I would tell you too.