PDA

View Full Version : Found a Sleeper - Puros Huerfanos

Giant & 49er Fan
09-14-2009, 06:29 PM
Came across these on CM a few weeks ago and just smoked one. Box on the way as I found them in Lancero! MMMMmmmm! :dr Anyone else familiar? Discuss...

BlackDog
09-14-2009, 07:14 PM
I saw those on CM a few days ago. I'm curious about them. Will have to watch this thread.

Cigary
09-14-2009, 09:06 PM
Never heard of em but am interested. How about a review on it?

Giant & 49er Fan
09-14-2009, 09:08 PM
Never heard of em but am interested. How about a review on it?

Stay tuned!

Cigahs
09-15-2009, 06:43 AM
3 different blends in this brand..
All made in Nicaragua

PH 143 = Strong, bold, full bodied cigar. Only available in Lancero.
PH 52X = Mild and sweet yet flavorful. Great morning smoke with coffee. Available in 4 sizes.
PH 681 = Full flavored and rich but bot overpowering. The most popular blend of the three.

These are 'orphaned' cigars from the same manufacturer. Originally, these cigars were produced to be incorporated into other well known brands but, for whatever reason, these particular sizes were removed from the lineup and re-packaged into this new brand exclusive to Famous, at literally a fraction of the 'name brand' prices. Unfortunately, we've been asked to keep a lid on the brands they were to be a part of and the manufacturer who makes them. We've complied with that request. I will say, though, that the three brands in question have been smoked and enjoyed by many on this board.

Cheers!!

Humberto

TripleF
09-15-2009, 06:47 AM
Hmmmmmm....curiousity is engaging me. Smoke one and let us know Jaime.

Giant & 49er Fan
09-15-2009, 09:02 AM
3 different blends in this brand..
All made in Nicaragua

PH 143 = Strong, bold, full bodied cigar. Only available in Lancero.
PH 52X = Mild and sweet yet flavorful. Great morning smoke with coffee. Available in 4 sizes.
PH 681 = Full flavored and rich but bot overpowering. The most popular blend of the three.

These are 'orphaned' cigars from the same manufacturer. Originally, these cigars were produced to be incorporated into other well known brands but, for whatever reason, these particular sizes were removed from the lineup and re-packaged into this new brand exclusive to Famous, at literally a fraction of the 'name brand' prices. Unfortunately, we've been asked to keep a lid on the brands they were to be a part of and the manufacturer who makes them. We've complied with that request. I will say, though, that the three brands in question have been smoked and enjoyed by many on this board.

Cheers!!

Humberto

Thanks Humberto! I look forward to my box of Lanceros :dr

dannysguitar
09-18-2009, 11:11 AM
Up on Cmonster for another 50 minutes!

dannysguitar
09-18-2009, 11:13 AM
I'm really curious to try these, they are the same size as the Victoria's in the Tatuaje Havana VI line. I really love those Victoria's!

Giant & 49er Fan
09-22-2009, 11:13 AM
http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=21931

See the review...

duckmanco
09-22-2009, 02:40 PM
there was a slight frenzy over these over at HP when a few members surmised that the 681 blend COULD be Liga Privada #9 seconds/blend ideas gone wrong/over runs etc.... (albeit with a 1/2" of cigar +/-)

I didn't pull the trigger but the ad copy about the broadleaf wrapper and brazilian mata fina binder damn near spell it out:

"Puros Huerfanos 681 cigars are rare, ultra-premium treats available only in a 5 1/2 x 52 Robusto. Presented in boxes of 25 cigars, this full-bodied blend consists of select Honduran and Nicaraguan Cuban seed longfiller tobaccos with a Brazilian Mata Fina binder, flawlessly rolled in an ebony Connecticut Broadleaf. The smoke is creamy and complex, offering rich earthy layers of sweet wood and spices. The outstanding quality and low price make Puros Huerfanos one of our best values. A MUST-TRY!" - as taken from Famous Smoke

Also a pic from the box showed some text that called the smokes "ligas".... consider the bush beaten around if'n you ax me.

madwilliamflint
12-29-2009, 01:45 PM
I encountered these early on and absolutely love them. Yesterday I bought a box of (25) 681s from CigarMonster at $69.95.

Previously I'd only bought them in 5-packs when they've shown up on monster. I recently found a couple in the bottom of my humi, hiding from me. They must have been sitting there for a couple months and the benefit of some box time was really quite something.

Pick up a 5 pack if you're interested. They're a top 5er for me.

Razorhog
03-06-2010, 09:21 AM
These are up on the monster now.

madwilliamflint
03-06-2010, 09:26 AM
At the risk of being a pest I HIGHLY recommend them again. I just had my first one out of the box I bought in December and they're much more smooth and rich than the 5-packs I fell in love with a few months before. Really.

No no, really really.

Razorhog
03-06-2010, 09:28 AM
Sounds good. Need to keep my eye out for a 5er.

mcmoyer
03-06-2010, 10:39 AM
At the risk of being a pest I HIGHLY recommend them again. I just had my first one out of the box I bought in December and they're much more smooth and rich than the 5-packs I fell in love with a few months before. Really.

No no, really really.

Are you SURE???

:tt

Smokin Gator
03-13-2010, 11:00 AM
Some gifted me one of these in about a toro size. I had been staring at it in the humi for a while and decided to smoke it this morning. Man it was good!! I am definitely going to try to find some more.

Adriftpanda
03-13-2010, 11:05 AM
Haven't tried it yet, but I do have one from a while back that you sent me Jaime. It looks good.

neoflex
03-13-2010, 11:07 AM
You bastids, these are up on CM what I feel like almost daily. Now you summabeaches have me curious. Dammit, and I told myself no more buying for a while.

Smokin Gator
03-13-2010, 11:24 AM
I just ordered a 5er from Famous. If they are as good as the one I smoked this morning I will be checking out the Monster!!!

To give you an idea... I was out on the tractor dragging the field and I actually stopped a couple of times just to look at it and say DayUm!!! I really wish I would have just been sitting and enjoying it.

madwilliamflint
04-27-2010, 04:43 PM
I finally did a side by side and while they are in the same family, they are NOT Drew Estates Liga Privada #9s. They just aren't.

The mystery continues.

(obsessed much?)

neoflex
04-27-2010, 08:53 PM
Funny this thread popped back up today as I just ordered a box of the 681s yesterday after realizing they are a great smoke after snagging a 5er on Famous' auction site. Wasn't advertised but they came with a free 5er and free shipping so that's 30 smokes delivered for $99. That's Diesel money and honestly they kick the Diesels a$$ and I really enjoy the Diesels.

madwilliamflint
04-27-2010, 08:57 PM
Yeah I loved the extra 5'er I got with my last box. I may be picking up another box of these just to put away and see what happens. I love these things too much to ever worry about running out.

Ogre
04-27-2010, 09:03 PM
CM is posting all sales for the day, they are available again.

NTA_Ben
05-26-2010, 08:06 PM
There is a fiver of the robustos up on CM right now. Think I will try these and see if they do taste like the LP #9.

Cigary
05-26-2010, 08:15 PM
There is a fiver of the robustos up on CM right now. Think I will try these and see if they do taste like the LP #9.

Thx Ben...I'm sold and just bought the 5 pak. LP#9 ya say? This will be so much cheaper if they even taste half as good.

Ogre
05-26-2010, 08:35 PM
Just ordered some myself. Thank guys for the heads up

whodeeni
05-27-2010, 04:18 PM
I smoked the Lancero (or Panatela in my book) the other night
with a beer and it was great! I would like to try this in a robusto....

Anybody workin on more information as to what these are
supposed to be? This may be a job for SkinsFanLarry!

Larry where you at bruh?:r

neoflex
05-27-2010, 05:56 PM
Not sure about the Lancero but the Robustos are supposed to be Liga 9s

Cigahs
05-27-2010, 06:31 PM

Just a quick reminder...

http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showpost.php?p=550190&postcount=5

Carry on!!

madwilliamflint
05-10-2011, 02:46 PM
Alas! Gone forever!

If anybody's got a line on a box of the ph681s they're willing to part with (or, erm... 10) I'd make it worth your while.

Why WHY didn't I buy 10-15 boxes when they were around?

Harrumpf.

madwilliamflint
05-10-2011, 02:48 PM

Spoke with a Drew Estates guy. They're a blend they made rather a long time ago (definitely not the LP9) and they became "681s" long after Drew stopped selling them.

Cigahs
05-10-2011, 03:04 PM
Spoke with a Drew Estates guy. They're a blend they made rather a long time ago (definitely not the LP9) and they became "681s" long after Drew stopped selling them.

http://www.fireemblemempire.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/whistle.gif

madwilliamflint
05-11-2011, 07:13 AM
http://www.fireemblemempire.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/whistle.gif

*bangs head on desk*

but...but... :p

Cigahs
05-11-2011, 07:16 AM
*bangs head on desk*

but...but... :p

Just curious... Who's your Drew Estate guy?

madwilliamflint
05-11-2011, 07:29 AM
Just curious... Who's your Drew Estate guy?

No can say.

Cigahs
05-11-2011, 07:30 AM
No can say.

Fair enough...

madwilliamflint
05-11-2011, 07:36 AM
Not someone I know well enough to out. Could be they were speaking out of turn.

Cigahs
05-11-2011, 07:41 AM
No worries...

I'm probably speaking out of turn myself, anyway.

It's not likely we'll ever get PH 681s again. However, we're still trying. For that reason, I'm not confirming nor denying anything.

madwilliamflint
05-11-2011, 07:46 AM
I see. I've only been smoking for a bit less than 2 years and came across them early. Just one of my favorite smokes of all time. I was stoked when people started saying it's the LP9 since at least they're "in production." Price be damned as long as they're available. But after side-by-siding them a couple times it's just not true.

I have a few kicking around, but when they disappeared from the site I nearly had a heart attack. So now I'm starting to really forage around the internet for any I can find.

Plus now I'm starting to cast a wider net to fill that flavor spot. It's gonna be tough. I've smoked a lot of things that could be called "in the same family" that just didn't come close.

Cigahs
05-11-2011, 08:08 AM
I see. I've only been smoking for a bit less than 2 years and came across them early. Just one of my favorite smokes of all time. I was stoked when people started saying it's the LP9 since at least they're "in production." Price be damned as long as they're available. But after side-by-siding them a couple times it's just not true.

I have a few kicking around, but when they disappeared from the site I nearly had a heart attack. So now I'm starting to really forage around the internet for any I can find.

Plus now I'm starting to cast a wider net to fill that flavor spot. It's gonna be tough. I've smoked a lot of things that could be called "in the same family" that just didn't come close.

Well.. If it helps any, I polled a few people here..

Some cigars with similar (not identical) profiles:

Perdomo Habano Toro Maduro (http://www.famous-smoke.com/perdomo+habano+toro+cigars/item+26018)

Pinar Del Rio Oscuro Toro (http://www.famous-smoke.com/pinar+del+rio+habano+oscuro+toro+cigars/item+33120)

Final Blend toro (http://www.famous-smoke.com/final+blend+toro+cigars/item+30807)

La Floridita Fuerte Toro (http://www.famous-smoke.com/la+floridita+fuerte+toro+cigars/item+31292)

Famous Nicaraguan Selection 5000 (http://www.famous-smoke.com/brand/famous+nicaraguan+selection+5000+cigars)

Rocky Patel Signature Toro (http://www.famous-smoke.com/famous+signature+series+by+rocky+patel+toro+cigars/item+32372)

My votes go to Final Blend or Pinar Del Rio. But that's just me.

Humberto

whodeeni
05-15-2011, 05:59 PM
No worries...

I'm probably speaking out of turn myself, anyway.

It's not likely we'll ever get PH 681s again. However, we're still trying. For that reason, I'm not confirming nor denying anything.

Probably due to the lack of tobacco available for them to make the regular No. 9's. Boy I wish they WOULD release some more... I for on would be all over them!

@ Madwilliamflint My sentiments exactly! I'd love to find some of these!:tu

madwilliamflint
07-18-2011, 01:45 PM
Gotta say, I don't mind the number 9s, but I wouldn't buy them unless they were startlingly cheap.

I'll tell you what though. I made the mistake of going into Barclay Rex down past Wall st. during lunch on Thursday and I picked up a couple Alec Bradley New Yorkers, which I'd never heard of before. I paid just under $14 (each) for them which, given where I bought them, is probably not as awful as it could've been.

These things are delightful.

But why mention them in this thread, you may ask.

Because I couldn't quite put my finger on what they tasted like. My buddy and I smoked a pair of them on the front porch on Saturday morning and we both looked at each other wide eyed. "We've smoked this!" We agreed. It was the spitting image of something we were both very familiar with.

On a hunch I went in to the house and brought out a 681 (Yeah, I still have 4 boxes :p ).

So no, it's not "exactly the same thing." But I'll be damned if an Alec Bradley New Yorker doesn't taste like I'd imagine a 681 that's been sitting for about 5-6 years.

I'd be interested to get a second opinion on this, but as it stands these sticks have vaulted on to my short "have a couple boxes kicking around" list.

billybarue
07-18-2011, 02:20 PM
I'd like to help. I've got the 681's on hand, but no way am I dropping $14 to make the comparison to the Alec Bradley.

681's are great sticks - I'll be sorry when mine are gone.

neoflex
07-18-2011, 02:24 PM
I doubt that they are the same stick as I have had a pretty reliable source tell me the 681 were in fact out of the DE factory.

Dunkel
07-18-2011, 02:33 PM
I thought the 681 I smoked was awful. I never got halfway through and pitched it.

madwilliamflint
07-18-2011, 05:30 PM
I'd like to help. I've got the 681's on hand, but no way am I dropping $14 to make the comparison to the Alec Bradley.

681's are great sticks - I'll be sorry when mine are gone.

I probably purchased that stick at the single worst place to buy it. I'm gonna look around for a reasonable price.

madwilliamflint
07-18-2011, 05:31 PM
I doubt that they are the same stick as I have had a pretty reliable source tell me the 681 were in fact out of the DE factory.

Indeed. I don't contend they are. In fact, if you scroll back a bit in this very thread... :-)

neoflex
07-18-2011, 05:46 PM
Indeed. I don't contend they are. In fact, if you scroll back a bit in this very thread... :-)

Sorry about that one.:D I read your post while on a conference call and misread it. That's multi-tasking I tell ya.:r I should be back in NY next month so I will have to keep an eye out for the NYer. I'm down to 2.5 boxes of the 681.:D-(P

madwilliamflint
07-18-2011, 06:15 PM
Yeah I got 3.5. I've gotten to where I don't reach for 'em any more. At least the Jaime's I can get more of ;)

MrOneEyedBoh
07-19-2011, 09:05 AM
These are back on cigar monster now. ItS the 52x toro size. And it says right in the description that they are drew estate over runs...

neoflex
07-19-2011, 09:19 AM
The 52X is a different stick than the 681. The 681 is closer to the Liga 9 blend. Not real sure what the 52x is but looks like it may be something from either the Natural or La Vieja Habana line.

MrOneEyedBoh
07-19-2011, 09:27 AM
Ahh thanks neo. I just read that first few posts on the different X and the 681 blends.