PDA

View Full Version : Gift Suggestions

bigloo
09-11-2009, 03:35 PM
I need suggestions for gifts for my dad. He loves tech stuff. It needs to be small and portable. I give him a camera every 2 years, so thats not an option. I just got him the top of the line netbook, so thats not an option. He does not do cigars and is overseas so any food/alchohol is not practical. I am at a total loss for the first time in years, usually he is easy and shite and my mom is the trouble shopping for. Any suggestions of cool gifts? It does not have to be expensive, just something... cool and useful.

Thanks,

Lu

ahc4353
09-11-2009, 03:40 PM
I think those digital picture frames are really nice. As a dad I would love to have one loaded with family pics. Best part is you can add and change with whatever you want whenever you want! Old pics news events etc...

fishstix
09-11-2009, 03:42 PM
New ipod. they just announced video capture abilities on the nano.

dubnick
09-11-2009, 03:44 PM
+1 for the Video Picture Frame... Always a nice gesture

aich75013
09-11-2009, 03:45 PM
I got my dad a Harmony remote recently.
I got tired of seeing 3 remotes lying around.

markem
09-11-2009, 04:00 PM
Does he have a nice portable GPS with the maps for his region?

Scothew
09-11-2009, 04:01 PM
iphone?

itsme_timd
09-11-2009, 04:06 PM
iPod, iPhone, GPS were suggestions I was thinking of.

Or... a portable photo printer? I've got one by HP that has a battery pack and I take it to parties and other family events - even did a wedding once. People were THRILLED to be able to take pics of the wedding with them when they left the wedding.

Here's a link to one very similar to what I have - http://bit.ly/1GvHms

captain53
09-11-2009, 04:20 PM
Got one of those digital picture frames for Christmas last year and just got around to getting it loaded and running this week. I now have it loaded with special pictures (one reason it took me so long to load was finding all my picture files) and I really enjoy it. Definitely a top choice but suggest it would be better if you preload some special pictures on there he would enjoy, sort of "prime it".:)

Now as a father myself and having lost my Mom and Dad in the past few years I will pass on some of the best advice anyone ever gave me on this very subject: When your parents get older the best thing you can give them is your time. I truly believe this and even though I gave a lot of it I wish I could give more now.:2

ahc4353
09-11-2009, 04:37 PM
Got one of those digital picture frames for Christmas last year and just got around to getting it loaded and running this week. I now have it loaded with special pictures (one reason it took me so long to load was finding all my picture files) and I really enjoy it. Definitely a top choice but suggest it would be better if you preload some special pictures on there he would enjoy, sort of "prime it".:)

Now as a father myself and having lost my Mom and Dad in the past few years I will pass on some of the best advice anyone ever gave me on this very subject: When your parents get older the best thing you can give them is your time. I truly believe this and even though I gave a lot of it I wish I could give more now.:2

That's what I was thinking. Load up some pics of you "back in the day". Some favorite pics of your mom, siblings etc...

Trust me you will want a pic of the smile on his face when he watches that.

bigloo
09-11-2009, 04:53 PM
Here is the problem, my dad has three sons who buy him tech gifts all the time. Digital Picture frame, check, smart phone check, ipod (my dad is hard of hearing so this is not for him), GPS was my gift to him two years ago when I met them in Puerto Rico... I think between my brothers and myself we have just overloaded the guy. I love the harmony remote idea but they live in South Africa and I have no idea if their sat. systems are supported. I will check it out though because that is something I know he does not have!

Scothew
09-11-2009, 07:08 PM
Sounds like the remote would be a good way to go then.

Or maybe a new kick *** surround system, so you can make sure he hears it :)

BORIStheBLADE
09-11-2009, 08:56 PM
I don't know if your dad has one yet, but maybe a weather station?

Something that will tell him the indoor and outdoor temp at the least. I have a Oregon syentific thats about 3 years old and love it. Something about being able to see what the temp is outside... I don't know. Sometimes mine will say its supposed to rain , but it might have something to do with humidity level outside.

http://www2.oregonscientific.com/shop/default.asp?cid=2

AAlmeter
09-11-2009, 09:12 PM
Kindle or the Apple version?

skullnrose
09-11-2009, 09:16 PM
Kindle or the Apple version?

Exactly what I was thinking.