PDA

View Full Version : Taking time to stop and smell the roses

Scottw
09-04-2009, 09:58 PM
Hey Asylum Buddies,

I had a few days this week to reflect on things that have gone both wrong and right in my life as well as spend time doing things that I always wanted to do but because I let life and superficial things get in the way, regrettably I never got around to. Things at work were going well and then took a turn for the worse when someone new who is best buddies with the CEO came into town. While I have a job, certain duties were taken from me by this individual resulting in my pay being reduced by close to $40,000 per year.

As a 33 year old single income earner with two kids, a wife at Harvard and a mortgage, this was not an easy pill to swallow. At first, I was positive but I let things stew to the point where I was becoming negative about everything going on around me, even the good things (After all, I have been blessed with good looks and a firm buttocks :r). Anyway, by Monday this past week, I had enough. I had a meeting on Tuesday and decided that I would take off afterward and take me a mini vacation and do things to clear my head and "smell the roses" a bit. First, I stopped at Ashes in Red Bank and met some friends over scotch, RS 11's and some great conversation. I then went down the Jersey Shore to my folks house to see them, my 88 year old grandmother and my 2 year old son who was down there all week. Wednesday morning, my 60 year old father and I went down to the bay and sat and watched the boats float by. He had a CAO gold Corona and I a Zino Platinum Shorty. It was peaceful. We talked about life, my past, his past, etc. He talked to me about my grandparents who died when I was 11 months old and about when he met my mother. It was really cool. Shortly after, we were headed to Long Beach Island. We stopped for a beer and then hit the water and went parasailing. We went together 350 feet in the air, looking down at the seagulls. I never felt so at peace with everything despite the chaos occurring in the world below. It was a great time and something that neither one of us will forget anytime soon (pics will follow once I get them).

The next morning. I went to the bay with my mother and talked about when she was a kid and what it was like raising me and my twin brother. We went to the farmer's market and shopped and planned a dinner menu for me to cook the next night. It was the most time I spent with my mother alone in the last 3 years.

Today, we had lunch on the island, me, dad, mom, grandma and Scott Jr. 4 generations of my family sharing a meal together while watching the boats, the birds and the waves. I was humbled by the fact that there are so many who have to go without family, without food and without quality of life.

Tonight, I cooked a meal for everyone in the house and we ate and laughed and all the sh*t that occurred over the last few weeks seemed like a distant memory. Dad and I even got a chance to spark up a couple of Padron's afterward and have a glass of wine while checking out the full moon and the stars.

I know I don't post that much here except for comments on others posts or to make a remark about a recent stick but I wanted to share this with you all. It hit me that no matter what, things will happen and life will go on, the measure of a man is how he handles it. I felt like a kid again this week and am greatful to have family and friends (the inmates here included) around me who I love and respect.

Open your eyes and look around, the world is wonderful and as you go through life, please, PLEASE don't forget to stop once and a while to smell the roses..........................they smell really good.

Thanks for your time,

Scott:tu

icehog3
09-04-2009, 10:30 PM
Thanks for sharing, Scott...some good insight for all.

TheTraveler
09-04-2009, 10:32 PM
There are a lot of things I could say about the fact that so many people look out for themselves and their friends to the detriment of other people but that would just be piling on more negativity and friends - even cyber friends - have to avoid adding to the problem.

I'm happy to see that you've come around the corner on those negative feelings and you're able to look ahead without the anger. :tu When life hands you blue skies and sunshine it's easy to keep going. Picking yourself up after a hard knock, dusting yourself off, finding your smile and plunging ahead again is a LOT tougher. Seems like you've got some toughness in you. I'd say you'll see your way through this one OK.

I'll be thinking of you and your family this weekend. Good luck to you .....

... and I hope that jackass has four flat tires tomorrow morning! There, I couldn't help myself! :D

pnoon
09-04-2009, 10:33 PM
Thanks for sharing, Scott...some good insight for all.

You said it, Admiral.
Thanks, Scott.

Skywalker
09-04-2009, 10:42 PM
Amazing what life looks like through someone else's eyes!!!

Thanks for sharing Scott!!!

Sometimes I slow down enough to have a cigar or a drink, but I never take time to slow way down!!!

kelmac07
09-05-2009, 06:13 AM
Thanks for sharing Scott!! Concentrate on what's important (family & friends) and don't sweat the small stuff...and it's all small stuff. :tu

shilala
09-05-2009, 06:20 AM
You had me at "good looks and a firm buttocks". :)