PDA

View Full Version : Rocky Patel The Edge Toro Maduro

Zanaspus
09-04-2009, 06:27 PM
As many of you know, I'm fairly new to the sweet science (sic), and unfortunately not a picture guy. Anyway, it's now two hours and ten minutes since I returned home from my local B&M with a few nuggets, and this among them. The two hours and ten minutes is significant, as I fired this stick up immediately upon my return and just laid it down with a good 1.75" left!

So onto my first review
Rocky Patel's Edge Toro Maduro
6"x52
Color: Let me just say it makes the neighborhood black cat look highly visible.
Prelight aroma: I thought chocolate bar, the wife thought untended stable.

First 1/3: A slight spicy pepper after toast and light which quickly subsides into dark chocolate and leather. Much the same initial profile as a Padron, and I LOVES Padrons! :dr

Second third: Leather kicks up seven notches and the dark chocolate moves towards more of a bakers' chocolate. At this point I'm starting to feel a nice nic buzz and quickly realized I need to switch from water to bourbon (a most splendid pairing for future reference).

Final third: Didn't make it too far into the final third. I had no interest in passing out, and the flavors were just the same but building exponentially.

Burn needed a few touch-ups, but nothing to adversely affect the enjoyment.

Final thoughts. One word to describe this stick....more. More taste, nicotine, smoke, you name it, than anything I've experienced.

Would I buy this again? I would and fully intend to. While smoking it daily could almost be seen as punishment, once a week or so, when you've had a long day and want to kick back with an even longer smoke and fine adult beverage, this would fit the bill quite well. I don't see myself ever buying a box as I sort of ignored all the advice and only bought a 100 ct humidor :tf. But the 5 spot here and there to always have on hand will be a definite must for me.

Value? At around $5 a piece online, even in fivers, I cannot recommend this cigar enough, even if you, like me raise more than a single eyebrow at Rocky's "if you like this stick of mine, try these other 600 variants" marketing strategy.

Starscream
09-04-2009, 06:36 PM
I used to love this cigar, but not so much now. I guess my tastes have changed. Great review. I think you were dead on with the flavors. Good cigar for the money.

yachties23
09-04-2009, 06:37 PM
Pretty much every RP is a solid smoke, and the Edge, regardless of wrapper, or size is an amazing smoke. Great review, smoke on man.

kaisersozei
09-04-2009, 07:29 PM
Nice job, that's a spot on review :tu You might also like the Edge Corojo, it's my favorite of the two.

I can only smoke the maduro on a very full stomach, they just hit me harder than any other ligero for some reason. Next time, try a chocolate milkshake to accompany this cigar--might sound gross, but it's surprisingly good!

BlackIrish
09-08-2009, 06:53 AM
Great review -- love the descriptions!