PDA

View Full Version : 5 Vegas Relic Perfecto

Kreth
08-30-2009, 03:06 PM
I snagged a single on cbid after winning another auction.

Humidor time: 3 weeks

Prelight: Another fugly wrapper, mottled and veiny. It looks old. No prelight draw due to the closed foot, but the cigar smells of coffee and leather.

Burn: Burn was uneven at first, an issue I often have with perfectos. It never got razor sharp, but evened out on its own and was reasonably straight from then on. Ash was flaky, but held on well. Draw was a bit tight, but loosened up as I got past the first inch or so. The burn time was about 65 minutes.

Flavor: Flavor was excellent, very creamy, with coffee, leather, cedar, and a faint touch of cinnamon taking turns. There was a fair amount of spice on the finish.

Summary: This is a great cigar if you can get past the looks. I think with a few months rest it would be amazing.
Posted via Mobile Device

leasingthisspace
08-30-2009, 03:10 PM
Sounds tasty.

BlackIrish
08-30-2009, 03:42 PM
Thanks for the review. I've been looking to try these at some point but I've spent too much on other smokes and have never gotten to buying any of these. And I really need to stay away from CBid.
Posted via Mobile Device

bigloo
08-30-2009, 05:03 PM
I did not care for this one at all. Actually, I have never smoked a 5 Vegas I did like. I got a fiver right when they were released. The cigar was super bitter. Maybe too fresh? Nice review, glad you enjoyed it.

dubnick
08-30-2009, 05:12 PM
With some rest, I enjoyed the Relic. Although I also had some burn issues.

The Relic is actually the only 5 Vegas I've ever enjoyed.

kenstogie
08-30-2009, 05:17 PM
WOndered about these, still looking for a 5ver on cbid or joecigar. These and the cask strength and the miami's too. Wish they had a sampler. Any way glad you enjoyed it sounds like it had some depth.

Kreth
08-30-2009, 05:33 PM
I did not care for this one at all. Actually, I have never smoked a 5 Vegas I did like. I got a fiver right when they were released. The cigar was super bitter. Maybe too fresh? Nice review, glad you enjoyed it.
I read a couple of reviews from when they first came out that complained about bitterness. I didn't get that at all. Maybe the tobacco was too young when they were released?
Posted via Mobile Device

Thrak
08-30-2009, 06:41 PM
I clip both ends before lighting, seems to fix burn problems and gives you better flavor at the outset. (for me anyway)

I like these, still have about 4 left from a 10-pk I got on Joe...

G G
08-30-2009, 06:50 PM
Thanks for the review.:tu

Kreth
08-30-2009, 07:32 PM
WOndered about these, still looking for a 5ver on cbid or joecigar. These and the cask strength and the miami's too. Wish they had a sampler. Any way glad you enjoyed it sounds like it had some depth.
I know CI has couple of different 5V samplers. I don't think they have one with both the Relic and CSII, though.
Posted via Mobile Device

kelmac07
08-30-2009, 09:09 PM
Thanks for the review!!

DPD6030
08-30-2009, 10:05 PM
I've been wanting to try one of these. The catalog sure shows neat packaging for a box.

MedicCook
08-30-2009, 10:07 PM
Nice review Jeff.

tuxpuff
08-31-2009, 07:38 AM
Thanks for the review!

bookman
08-31-2009, 08:05 AM
spot on review. I've got one left from a 5er and am going to give it a year.

kenstogie
08-31-2009, 08:13 AM
Cigars that benefit from aging can turn out to be fantastic sticks. Good luck.

BlackDog
08-31-2009, 12:41 PM
I'm a sucker for the perfecto shape. I'm going to have to try these. Thanks for the review. :tu

zitro_joe
08-31-2009, 09:59 PM
Smoked one the other day and I really liked it. I was bother by the tight draw at first. I think I am just gonna cut 1/4 inch off the foot to start off with

bookman
08-31-2009, 10:00 PM
Smoked one the other day and I really liked it. I was bother by the tight draw at first. I think I am just gonna cut 1/4 inch off the foot to start off with

Try a v-cut. Works great on perfectos and belicosos!!

Skywalker
09-02-2009, 04:53 PM
I was curious but now I will have to give them a try!!!

Thanks for the review!!!:tu

Titan410
09-24-2009, 07:52 AM
I tried this cigar last night. It had been resting in my humi for about 6 months.
Man, you're right, it is an ugly stick.
I have to say I couldn't get past the first eighth. It was horrible IMHO. I looked up a review of it and they said it tasted like buttery earth.
I couldn't continue, and I can count on one hand the number of sticks I couldn't fight past an unpleasant taste to see if it improved.

bigheadmark
01-06-2010, 08:06 PM
Titan, can I ask you what % RH you keep your humidor at?
Do u have a digital hygrometer??
judging by what you wrote, I suspect that the humidity in your humidor is too high...
If the RH is more than 65%, then it's too high...
I keep my humi at 65% and it's optimal

tenbaseg
01-07-2010, 05:01 AM
Thanks for the review Jeff. I've had this on my to-try list.

Kreth
01-07-2010, 06:01 AM
Thanks for the review Jeff. I've had this on my to-try list.
I could bring a couple to the herf, but you're gettin' your drink on that weekend... :r
Posted via Mobile Device

Lensjockie
01-07-2010, 06:09 AM
Sounds like a stick I'll have to pick up. True on the letting the sticks set for a while.
10 years ago I bought a box of Santa Rosa Maduros, which alas are no longer produced.
Well I have a smaller humi where I stashed leftovers and walla some were in there.
Yellow cello and all they were a much better smoke. So the aging is always a plus.

bigheadmark
01-07-2010, 09:39 AM
I will say this...the Relic I smoked tasted and smelled like it had been aged for a VERY VERY long time....I would rank it up there with BOUTIQUE cigars like padron Annis, Millenium etc, ....I have smoked $20 cigars (like Opus X) that were not as good as the relic....for the cost, they are a STEAL!

mariogolbee
01-07-2010, 09:58 AM
Thank you for the nice review Jeff. I was bombed one of these and have been curious about it. After reading your review I think I'll pull it out and smoke it right now with my morning coffee and Chemistry book.

Kreth
01-07-2010, 10:03 AM
Thank you for the nice review Jeff. I was bombed one of these and have been curious about it. After reading your review I think I'll pull it out and smoke it right now with my morning coffee and Chemistry book.
Coincidentally, I'm sitting at the B&M smoking that G2 Turbo you sent me a while back. Tasty, a little milder than I expected from a "Turbo," but a pretty solid medium. :ss
Posted via Mobile Device

Tredegar
01-07-2010, 01:07 PM
I bought a few fivers about 8-9 months ago and I must admit that they do get a bit better with age. Burn still is an issue but the flavors have settled down and have become more of a rich, earthy flavor.

tenbaseg
01-07-2010, 05:25 PM
I could bring a couple to the herf, but you're gettin' your drink on that weekend... :r
Posted via Mobile Device

Tease. ;)

Namerifrats
01-07-2010, 06:37 PM
Nice review! I enjoyed the two I'd had. The wrappers are rough looking, but the taste makes you forget about that wrapper.

bigheadmark
01-27-2010, 07:55 PM
Does anyone know who makes these?

kaisersozei
01-29-2010, 08:44 AM
Does anyone know who makes these?

http://www.cigars5vegas.com/

They're distributed by CI/cigar.com. I think they may be their house brand. :confused: In any event, I've not seen them anywhere else.

themoneycollector
01-29-2010, 09:34 AM
Thanks for the review. I'll have to pick up a single one of these days. I need to try this one and the cask strengths. I thought the Miami was incredible.

mariogolbee
01-29-2010, 12:16 PM
Coincidentally, I'm sitting at the B&M smoking that G2 Turbo you sent me a while back. Tasty, a little milder than I expected from a "Turbo," but a pretty solid medium. :ss
Posted via Mobile Device
:D

I tried it the day you posted this, I think. It was really good. Not my usual pick but good. I found another one in my humi and I'll be enjoying it soon also. I haven't had one of the 5 Vegas yet that I didn't think wasat least okay.

Kreth
01-29-2010, 12:28 PM
I haven't had one of the 5 Vegas yet that I didn't think wasat least okay.
I don't like the Gold. They're like smoking air to me. The rest are all decent smokes IMO.
Posted via Mobile Device

Starscream
01-29-2010, 12:30 PM
I'm not gonna knock it b/c I haven't tried it yet, but the Relic just looks like it's screaming the name "Gurkha" all over the place. Earthy and dirt flavors.

BTW, I like the A Series and the Miami, the Cask Strength II is decent, but the gold and red are not that great IMHO.

mariogolbee
01-29-2010, 12:40 PM
Haven't tried the Gold yet.

Kreth
01-29-2010, 12:46 PM
I don't like the Gold. They're like smoking air to me. The rest are all decent smokes IMO.
Posted via Mobile Device
Forgot about the A. Very inconsistent for me. Only 1 Triple A so far, but it was excellent.
Posted via Mobile Device

bigheadmark
01-29-2010, 04:54 PM
http://www.cigars5vegas.com/

They're distributed by CI/cigar.com. I think they may be their house brand. :confused: In any event, I've not seen them anywhere else.

wow thanks!:rolleyes:

Deputy
01-29-2010, 07:23 PM
I had my eye on this smoke for a while. Not very cute, or pretty but looks tasty. Thanks for the review.

kaisersozei
08-05-2010, 10:34 AM
Resurrecting this thread to post my own thoughts on this cigar. Kreth sent me one of these in a MAW last year :wo, and I just smoked it this past weekend. He had marked that it was an 08/09 stick, so I'm guessing it was from this same batch that he bought.

So after a year of humi time, overall Jeff's OP was still spot on regarding the flavor: "Flavor was excellent, very creamy, with coffee, leather, cedar, and a faint touch of cinnamon taking turns. There was a fair amount of spice on the finish." Had a nice sweetness, and I particularly enjoyed the baking spice/woody/creaminess of the finish. The spice wasn't that prominent, so maybe it settled down from the original review. I would add that it was even "Cubanesque," and I haven't said that about many DR puros. I thought this was actually a pretty good clone of the La Aurora Preferido. The construction was very good--no burn or draw issues--and the smoke itself was kind of gritty.

A tasty medium bodied cigar, good quality product from 5V. Thanks for the smoke, Jeff! :tu

Azaelius
08-05-2010, 10:46 AM
My single Relic i had went out 4 times, and FAST. This is after having it in a 65% humidor for 6 weeks. I wanted to enjoy the flavors... they were great! but the fact that i had to puff it every 15 seconds to keep it lit made me furioso. I'll try again when i feel a bit more masochistic.

Great review though!

Kreth
08-05-2010, 10:57 AM
A tasty medium bodied cigar, good quality product from 5V. Thanks for the smoke, Jeff! :tu
You're welcome, Gerard. Glad you enjoyed it, and nice follow-up review. It's been a while since I smoked one of these, might be time to get some more. :ss
Posted via Mobile Device