PDA

View Full Version : Relocating to Denver...

Geppetto
08-25-2009, 05:40 PM
I need some help in a decision to relocate to Denver due to employment. After plugging away online looking at fact/myths, I'd like to hear from locals.
If all goes right, I'll be working in Commerce City.
Daily commute can be 45+ minutes if necessary.
We will rent for awhile to get the "lay of the land", but where?
Taxes and such? I understand there is some sort of personal property tax involving renewing your auto registration each year? $$$

Not looking into city living, I want the earth at my feet.

Any help? Thanks...

Geppetto (James) in Cincy

elderboy02
08-25-2009, 06:19 PM
Say it ain't so James...

You can't leave us :sad

Good luck to you sir!

James, have you checked out the gun laws in CO?

Geppetto
08-25-2009, 07:21 PM
Yeah, our CHL doesn't apply there. Go figure...

Smokin Gator
08-25-2009, 07:30 PM
It has been a long time since I live in CO but I used to love to Morrison/Golden area. Anything on that west side of Denver was nice IMO. Best of luck on your decision!

XTRazzer
08-25-2009, 08:05 PM
You'll come running back to Cinci after the first snow season. Never, ever in my life have I seen a city (Cinci) shut down for 3" of snowfall.

For what use I am, here's a site I use when considering relocation: http://www.city-data.com/forum/

captain53
08-25-2009, 08:08 PM
Visited there a few times seemed ok but pretty high cost of living. I have a friend who moved there about 8 months ago from Nashville. He lives in Lakewood (west side almost out to Golden) and he likes it real well.:2

macms
08-25-2009, 08:22 PM
I'm in Denver. PM sent.

mhailey
08-25-2009, 08:29 PM
when you say "earth under your feet" do you mean you want small town, or you just don't want to live in a loft in the downtown area? Congrats on the move, you will never regret it. I have never been anywhere that even comes close to being as great as Denver.

Matt

kgoings
08-25-2009, 09:08 PM
I would LOVE to live in Denver, I tried to make the move last year but I couldnt find 'the right' place to work.

elderboy02
08-25-2009, 09:55 PM
Yeah, our CHL doesn't apply there. Go figure...

If you get a Pennsylvania Non-Residence license like I do, you can carry in CO.

I hope this helps :tu

colimo
08-27-2009, 02:44 PM
I need some help in a decision to relocate to Denver due to employment. After plugging away online looking at fact/myths, I'd like to hear from locals.
If all goes right, I'll be working in Commerce City.
Daily commute can be 45+ minutes if necessary.
We will rent for awhile to get the "lay of the land", but where?
Taxes and such? I understand there is some sort of personal property tax involving renewing your auto registration each year? $$$

Not looking into city living, I want the earth at my feet.

Any help? Thanks...

Geppetto (James) in Cincy

born and raised in Denver, where we get 300 days of sunshine a year....great place...although commerce city can be questionable, although they do have some nicer newer areas....

there is a personal property tax involved in getting your car registered here.

if you want rural and easier commute to com city, look at brighton or thereabouts....pm me with any additional questions.

we have a great group of herfers here...:tu

zmancbr
08-28-2009, 02:51 AM
born and raised in Denver, where we get 300 days of sunshine a year....great place...although commerce city can be questionable, although they do have some nicer newer areas....

Doug is spot on... I live within 10 minutes of Commerce City and I would highly suggest steering clear of living there... there are some nicer areas out north of the city, but still too far away from the good stuff IMO. I have lived in CO for my entire life as well and know my way around pretty well... although I will admit not knowing southern Denver as well as I would like.

if you want rural and easier commute to com city, look at brighton or thereabouts....pm me with any additional questions.

we have a great group of herfers here...:tu

Once again he hits the nail square... Brighton is nice and is close to Commerce City, so is Thornton (where I live). There is a lot of newer development all around the northern parts of Denver and many places in different prices ranges to choose from. If you need any help or suggestions please feel free to PM me and I will do my best to make you feel welcome in our lovely state! :tu

Oh and the herfers here enjoy herfing to the fullest extent... we have quite a few guys scattered all around and have herfs quite often (I would say average is 3 times a month you will find a good herf)! :D

Geppetto
08-28-2009, 11:05 AM
You'll come running back to Cinci after the first snow season. Never, ever in my life have I seen a city (Cinci) shut down for 3" of snowfall

Well the good part is I work in the snow equipment industry!

Geppetto
08-28-2009, 11:21 AM
when you say "earth under your feet" do you mean you want small town, or you just don't want to live in a loft in the downtown area? Congrats on the move, you will never regret it. I have never been anywhere that even comes close to being as great as Denver.

Matt

Yep, small town, some land for the Greyhounds, and NO concrete jungle. I love my old home and block here in Cincy, but it comes with $, and I don't mean money. I am so tired of the "penguin walking, donk driving, nasty attitude, Section 8, "gangsta" wanna be's" in this area" JUST MY OPINION

XTRazzer
08-29-2009, 09:43 AM
Well the good part is I work in the snow equipment industry!

...my old home and block here in Cincy, but it comes with $, and I don't mean money. I am so tired of the "penguin walking, donk driving, nasty attitude, Section 8, "gangsta" wanna be's" in this area" JUST MY OPINION

Well, my apologies on the snow remark. Being from NE Ohio I was definitely baffled when in Cinci it snowed 3" crippling the city (sometime late 2005). From that point on, at any mention of snow I went home early and worked from there for the day.

I was only in Cinci for roughly three years (2005-2008) for work. Not sure what part you're in but I can definitely relate to your comments. When I left I swore up and down I'd never return. Now with the economy the way it is I'm changing my tune.

As much as I hate the idea, from someone who's relocated a few times, it's almost good to go for six months and rent a place until you get to know the area. Or if you do try to find a place over a week or weekend trip I would highly suggest getting someone who knows the area very well so you don't regret the move later.