PDA

View Full Version : House blends of discontinued blends

wayner123
08-24-2009, 09:46 AM
Hey all,

I was looking over some of the discontinued blends and wanted to try some of them. I keep losing (or don't catch in time) different auctions and what not to get some of these. I did however find a couple places selling their own house blends that are supposed to replicate these discontinued blends.

Have any of you tried these replica house blends? And how well do they compare to the original ones?

NCRadioMan
08-24-2009, 10:31 AM
Which blends are you looking for? C&D makes a few that are really close, imo.

alley00p
08-24-2009, 10:43 AM
Hey all,

I was looking over some of the discontinued blends and wanted to try some of them. I keep losing (or don't catch in time) different auctions and what not to get some of these. I did however find a couple places selling their own house blends that are supposed to replicate these discontinued blends.

Have any of you tried these replica house blends? And how well do they compare to the original ones?

Wayner, what were you trying to get? I don't have much of a cellar, but if I have something you are looking for, I'd be more than happy to share some! :D

:dance:

wayner123
08-24-2009, 11:11 AM
Which blends are you looking for? C&D makes a few that are really close, imo.

I had been looking for mostly Dunhill discontinued blends. Royal Yacht, Nightcap, 965.

Wayner, what were you trying to get? I don't have much of a cellar, but if I have something you are looking for, I'd be more than happy to share some! :D

Thank you kindly for the offer. If these house blends are anything like the original ones I'll be ok for now. No need to send anything :)

NCRadioMan
08-24-2009, 11:33 AM
C&D #965 Tuggle Hall is very good and a "knockoff" of 965.

Benwoo
08-24-2009, 12:11 PM
Sounds like I'll have to give it a try.

Noodles
08-24-2009, 12:35 PM
Are Dunhills pretty much gone now? I have a few Murray blends. Let me know what you are looking for.

Benwoo
08-24-2009, 12:47 PM
I think they are pretty much disco'd at least in the US. I think I inadvertently set Wayner off on a quest, so we've been poking around to find some.

wayner123
08-24-2009, 12:49 PM
I think they are pretty much disco'd at least in the US. I think I inadvertently set Wayner off on a quest, so we've been poking around to find some.

LOL, how true:tu

Right now, I would love to find decently priced Dunhill Royal Yacht, 965 and Nightcap. But they are rare to find in the USA. Especially any of the older tins.

alley00p
08-24-2009, 12:57 PM
Are Dunhills pretty much gone now? I have a few Murray blends. Let me know what you are looking for.

Actually, a few smaller shops or tobacco stores that sold tins of pipe tobacco sometimes have a tin or 2 of Dunhill.

I actually found a small rectangular tin of Dunhill Light Flake last Wednesday at smaller cigar & tobacco store near my house. The same exact tin was selling for $30 at auction a few days ago. I paid $10.95! :D

Now, everytime I pass a small tobacco store, stop in, just in case, they have some older tins of pipe tobacco. Most of them only have a few small packages and mainly sell cigarette tobacco for "roll your own" folks... :(

Mister Moo
08-24-2009, 01:30 PM
I had been looking for mostly Dunhill ... 965.
I have some bulk 965 on hand. It's not exactly like the tin but semi-close - maybe it's fake bulk - who'd ever know except the retailer? Be pleased to share; send me your address. Royal Yacht is a trick to duplicate but Peter Stokkebye Proper English, while gentler than Nightcap, is awfully nice. (I never thought to slip some perique in it....)

I think two claims 965 can make are:

1. it has very consistent flavor and quality; and
2. it's about the most mild english blend in the field.

Sometimes gentle is nice but PS Proper English is nice, too.

atlharp
08-24-2009, 04:00 PM
Supposedly the C&D Good Morning blend is a replica of Dunhill Early Morning Pipe. I was checking some reviews on TR and they say it comes in pretty close to the EMP.

http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend_detail.cfm?ALPHA=G&TID=3405

Junkyard Dawg is duplicate of Barking Dog. The best thing to is check through the C&D catalog and keep your eyes open.

http://www.cornellanddiehl.com/oldindex.html :dr

ATL

P.S. Here is a link to their Long Lost favorites page:

http://www.cornellanddiehl.com/tobacco_spotlight.htm

NCRadioMan
08-24-2009, 07:40 PM
It just so happens that I just got an email from McCranies and they now have some house blends to satisfy Dunhill lovers.

http://mccranies.com/tobacco_dunhill.html

Daybreak - Early Morning
Nine To Five - 965
Afterhours - Nightcap

wayner123
08-25-2009, 12:10 PM
Thanks for the great links and information. I guess I'll get a few and try for myself.

TheTraveler
08-26-2009, 06:39 AM
LOL, how true:tu

Right now, I would love to find decently priced Dunhill Royal Yacht, 965 and Nightcap. But they are rare to find in the USA. Especially any of the older tins.

Hey, the inmate drevin has some unopened tins for sale including Royal Yacht and Nightcap.

Here's the link: http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=20525

wayner123
08-26-2009, 06:46 AM
Hey, the inmate drevin has some unopened tins for sale including Royal Yacht and Nightcap.

Here's the link: http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=20525

Thanks so much. PM sent to him.

kayak_rat
08-28-2009, 07:38 AM
A little slow, but McClellands has an AMP(AM Pipe) which is a replacement for Early Morning Pipe. I really liked the Dunhill stuff and find replacements dont quite stand up IMO......this one does. Any shop who carries McClelland bulks should have this.

wayner123
11-17-2009, 11:20 AM
I have some bulk 965 on hand. It's not exactly like the tin but semi-close - maybe it's fake bulk - who'd ever know except the retailer? Be pleased to share; send me your address.

I am sorry I took so long to get back to this. Mister Moo was very gracious in sending me some of the bulk 965 to sample. I must say it was different. A good different but still different. I had not really tried any true english blends. I can definately see that it would be someone's everyday baccy as the blend states. I am anxious to try the nightcap, as it seems Dunhill's blends are made exactly for what they state they are made for.