PDA

View Full Version : So My Wife Brings Home A Dog

ahc4353
08-23-2009, 09:28 PM
Like we need another as we have two. :bh Trouble is Alina has a heart the size of Klug's humidor. While showing a client a foreclosed home she found that a young women was living in the empty house. With this women she found a dog cowering in the corner. The women said that the dog was her boyfriends but that her boy friend was now "locked up" and she can't take care of the dog. The women told Alina that her boyfriend had "shocked" the dog while she was pregnant causing the dog to lose her puppies. She also told her that the dog had not eaten in at least three days. Alina asked the women if she could have the dog and was told she could.

We took her to the vet and got all her shots and blood tests done. We are treating her for fleas and worms. The vet said she in no more than two years old. We set her up in a kennel in my shed (I put in a window AC unit due to the heat) for a few days until all her tests come back before we introduce her to our current two dogs.

I am trying very hard not to get attached to this dog as I would really like to find her a good home where she can get the one on one attention she needs. However, it's very hard as she is so sweet. She has fantastic manners and other than being a little shy you couldn't ask for a nicer dog.

Alina has named her Sofie and she really seems to like her new surroundings. Wish us luck on finding her a good home.

I just can't understand how people can treat animals in such cruel ways. This dog is just so kind. It's amazing she trusts humans after what she has been through.

Please allow me to introduce, Sofie!
http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii201/ahc4353/IMG00006.jpg

yourchoice
08-23-2009, 09:35 PM
Props to Alina. That's a very kind gesture of both of you.

loki
08-23-2009, 09:37 PM
such a cute puppy good on you for taking her in

alley00p
08-23-2009, 09:38 PM
So you couldn't sell "Millie" or "Flora", huh, Al?

But god bless and good luck! :tu

We all know that Alina has to have a big heart, or she wouldn't be married to you! :D

:dance:

cle_smoker
08-23-2009, 09:41 PM
Very nice Al. Good luck on not getting attached to a looker like that. :D

larryinlc
08-23-2009, 09:46 PM
I get the feeling that you might just end up keeping Sofie. I think Sofie would like that too.:tu Dogs always know good people.

Larry

Waynegro1
08-23-2009, 09:48 PM
Very kind of Alina (and you to, Al).
Great, yet sad story, good luck not getting attached.
Let's see:
-Window unit AC, "I put in a window AC unit due to the heat"
-Vet Visit, "We took her to the vet and got all her shots and blood tests done"
-Named her, "Alina has named her Sofie"

Sounds like you've got yourself three dogs, my friend. ;s

On a serious note:
I'm with you 100%, I'll never understand how people can treat a dog like trash. I'd like to "Shock" that SOB. Sound's like he's where he belongs.

Glad to meet you, Sofie.
Keep us posted, Al. :tu

md4958
08-23-2009, 09:52 PM
This isnt the first stray Alina has taken in :r:r:r

alley00p
08-23-2009, 09:52 PM
Yep, Sofie looks like the kind of dog that would love to herf with you Al!

She's a very pretty pooch, and I wish you luck in NOT getting attached to her! :D

If I lived anywhere near Joisey, I'd be considering adding her to my family! of course, as much as my wife loves our dogs and cat's, I'm sure she'd be sending the boys out back to dig a big hole to hide my body! :r

:dance:

kelmac07
08-23-2009, 09:53 PM
Awesome gesture by Alina and you!!! Looks like Sofie might be staying awhile. Big props brother!! :tu

Kreth
08-23-2009, 09:55 PM
-Named her, "Alina has named her Sofie"

Sounds like you've got yourself three dogs, my friend. ;s
:tpd: That dog's not going anywhere. Kudos for taking her in. :tu

elderboy02
08-23-2009, 10:06 PM
I get the feeling that you might just end up keeping Sofie. I think Sofie would like that too.:tu Dogs always know good people.

Larry

:tpd:

I know you will keep her ;)

tobii3
08-23-2009, 10:06 PM
You NEVER name the dog, AL!!!!

sheesh!!!

Did you forget WHY you got in trouble for bringing home YOUR first dog??

http://www.ericdsnider.com/images/dinosaur.JPG

:r:r:r

Scottw
08-23-2009, 10:09 PM
Your ****ed Al, you're keeping her but welcome to your new doggie. You should name her Belicoso or Belicosa since it is a female.

Genetic Defect
08-23-2009, 10:11 PM
This isnt the first stray Alina has taken in :r:r:r

:r
read the title
"So My Wife Brings Home A Dog"
I thought she brought Al home
:lv

Don Fernando
08-24-2009, 03:11 AM
I am trying very hard not to get attached to this dog as I would really like to find her a good home

I think she already did find a good home Al

sepp
08-24-2009, 05:18 AM
Good for you all Al. Sophie will take good care of you.

massphatness
08-24-2009, 05:24 AM
Wish us luck on finding her a good home.

It sounds like you already have, buddy. :ss

ratpack
08-24-2009, 06:08 AM
Good for you guys. My wife decided to get the kids a dog ( because they needed one). I was not fond of that idea. But as it turned out, I think the dog likes me better than my own family. She is not a man's man dog though. An 11lb. Shi-tzu. And the little thing has an underbite which makes her tongue stick out a little all of the time. My buddy Wayne ( Waynegro ) likes to make fun of her a lot. Problem is, she loves her Uncle Wayne too. Good luck with the pooch. Sounds like she has a great home.

14holestogie
08-24-2009, 06:21 AM

You've allowed Sofie to move into your house and heart. I believe she's "home." Good for you and Alina. :tu

G G
08-24-2009, 06:35 AM

dunng
08-24-2009, 07:29 AM
I agree, she has found a good home... :tu

chippewastud79
08-24-2009, 07:31 AM
Nice work Al! :tu

Texan in Mexico
08-24-2009, 07:37 AM
I think your wife and my gf would get along very well Al! We have 5 dogs and 3 of the pups were adopted.

They got it right when they created the dog - truly man's best friend!

I hope you are able to keep her and add her to your happy family.

Let us know how it works out!

Travis

hotreds
08-24-2009, 08:45 AM
Lovely dog! Good on you and Alina to care enough to take her out of her horrible situation! I agree that there is a special place in hell for those that abuse animals! I wish you all the best with Sofie or perchance without her!

King James
08-24-2009, 08:48 AM
Awesome job getting Sophie out of a bad home. It still always amazes me how people can mistreat dogs, and always good hearing stories that take a turn for the better for the pups

icehog3
08-24-2009, 10:20 AM
Very nice Al. Good luck on not getting attached to a looker like that. :D

Yup....think you have a new dog, Al. Good one on ya. :tu

Blindjimme
08-24-2009, 10:39 AM
Yeah, I got to go with the main consensus here, you got a new dog Al! God bless Alina's big heart to rescue Sofie. :tu to both of ya!

ahc4353
08-25-2009, 08:36 AM
Good news / bad news update:

(Good News) The vet called and all tests came back negative!

(Bad News) She doesn't do well will my other dogs. Tried to introduce her to my lab and she showed her teeth and growled. Thing is she's indifferent to her as long as the lab is ten feet away. However, if she steps inside that ten foot mark she does not like it. She is just so scared of everything. Last night Alina tried to play catch with her and the darn tennis ball scares her.

I think she needs a home with no other dogs and an owner that can devote a lot of time with her.

Alina is sad as she was in hopes everyone would get along.

icantbejon
08-25-2009, 08:49 AM
Very nice Al. Welcome to the club of 3 dogs. My wife did the same to me not too long ago. She "volunteered" at a Humane Society for one day and we had another dog. He's cute as hell, and very loveable, but man! 3!!

Good stuff on taking in the dog and seeing that she gets the proper treatment. Regardless of whether you keep her or not, that was the right thing to do.

It may just take some time for the newbie to get comfortable around your other pups. Give her a few days.

tobii3
08-25-2009, 08:56 AM
It may just take some time for the newbie to get comfortable around your other pups. Give her a few days.

:tpd:x 2

TheTraveler
08-25-2009, 09:01 AM

I agree. She may come around after a few days. My wife and I have had a black lab named Winston for a while - he'll be 10 in January. While he's extremely friendly with people he's VERY agressive with other dogs. We've successfully brought two stray dogs into our home and he learned to live with them.

The first stray was a male black lab about 6 to 8 months old. Winston growled and showed teeth for about 4 or 5 days - we kept food and water separate for a couple of weeks and also separated them for an hour or so at a time to give them their "alone" time, and paid special attention to Winston for a day or so. Within a week he came around and a couple of months later they were inseparable. Actually the new dog, Franklin, thought that Winston was his new "girlfriend" and especially loved it when we gave Winston a bath! :r :r

The second stray was a little female mutt - Winston only gave her the mean face for a day or so, then she came into heat and he, uh, kinda liked her after that. ;)

Maybe a little TLC, some together and some alone time, separate sleeping and eating for a few days, and a gradual full-integration into the family may come sooner than you think! :tu

Oh, by the way, good job to both of you for bringing her out of a bad situation. Some people don't seem to realize that, while a dog technically could be left to fend for itself and probably survive in the wild, they really are domesticated animals. Taking on a pet is a big responsibility - they depend on you for everything!

taltos
08-26-2009, 03:40 AM
Well done Al. Thee dogs will probably bond after a short period of time.:tu

Coach Deg
08-26-2009, 03:47 AM
God bless on taking her in. And just like all creatures it will just take a few days before they are all rolling around together.

ahc4353
08-28-2009, 07:44 AM
Yesterday Alina took Sophie to a professional trainer. This guy trains police dogs etc and is highly respected. Friend of a friend kind of thing so he did the evaluation for free! Anyway, he said it's clear she has been abused and any aggression she shows is out of fear. Hence the introduction to our other dogs. He said she needs TLC and time to get past the fear however she may NEVER get past it. He said it's way to soon to try and get her in the mix with our other dogs. So, for now she lives in The Habana Cabana (my shed/smoking room). She is very comfortable there and really seems to like it. She will more than likely go to the no kill shelter when they have room. The people there seem to have experience dealing with dogs like this and getting them into the proper home.

I know I said I was trying not to get attached. To late for that. This morning I spent my time before work in the shed enjoying my coffee and Sophie's company. She REALLY is a sweet dog and is going to make someone a VERY good buddy.

Thanks for all the support and well wishes. I'll keep you posted.

kydsid
08-28-2009, 08:03 AM
Good luck Al, if I was anywhere near you I would gladly take Sophie home. Sounds like she is already a great smoking buddy.

icantbejon
08-28-2009, 08:08 AM
I don't know that I'd be able to send a dog to the pound after taking it in. They just manage to get under your skin so quickly.

ahc4353
08-28-2009, 08:12 AM
I don't know that I'd be able to send a dog to the pound after taking it in. They just manage to get under your skin so quickly.

I think you would do what you had to for the best interest of all involved. :tu

Sometimes the hardest choice is the right one.

cle_smoker
08-28-2009, 08:19 AM
Good luck with what you decide Al. I'm sure it will turn out fine.

ahc4353
09-01-2009, 10:13 AM
So last night I find out she can jump a 4' chain link fence with ease. :tt

My sons future father-in-law who is interested in her is stopping by tonight for a second visit.

She is getting much more trusting and even has learned to play catch, a little. :D

She is a doll.

Blindjimme
09-01-2009, 11:29 AM
Wonderful Al, I hope that works out.

68TriShield
09-01-2009, 11:59 AM
My offer is still in the background if needed.

ahc4353
09-01-2009, 12:00 PM
My offer is still in the background if needed.

You have no idea how much that means Dave.

Thank you again.

SmokeyJoe
09-01-2009, 12:51 PM
Just read the whole thread... really hoping things work out for Sofie! She is already fortunate to have found your family to receive all of that care.

You and Alina are just "good people." Blessings! :tu

Blueface
09-01-2009, 01:26 PM
Just read the whole thread... really hoping things work out for Sofie! She is already fortunate to have found your family to receive all of that care.

You and Alina are just "good people." Blessings! :tu

Couldn't have said it better.

Mark
09-01-2009, 02:11 PM
"You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to ahc4353 again."

SHUCKS!

icantbejon
09-01-2009, 03:04 PM
So what's the deal....did the future FIL decide to take her?

ahc4353
09-01-2009, 03:27 PM
So what's the deal....did the future FIL decide to take her?

He's coming over tonight for a second visit.

ahc4353
09-02-2009, 08:19 AM
Well it looks like Sophie is going to have a new home. The people interested came over and spent a couple hours with her. They took her for a long walk then we just hung out on the front porch talking. The lady never stopped petting her. :D

They wanted to sleep on it for another night. I think that's a great idea as I don't want they to take her out of impulse.

I think this will be a great fit as they are a couple with no other dogs and the man is semi-retired enabling him to spend a lot of time with her. AND, they live like 10 mins away so we will have visitation rights! :wo

I will post if they take her or not in the next couple of days.

Keep your fingers crossed. This dog deserves to have something good happen in her life.

14holestogie
09-02-2009, 08:22 AM
Fingers crossed that this works out and props once again to you and Alina for giving Sophie the chance to become a happy dog. :tu

icantbejon
09-02-2009, 08:22 AM
Excellent news.

TheTraveler
09-02-2009, 08:48 AM
Fingers crossed that this works out and props once again to you and Alina for giving Sophie the chance to become a happy dog. :tu

Nice move from both of you. :tu

elderboy02
09-02-2009, 08:58 AM

:tpd: Nice job Al!

dunng
09-02-2009, 09:00 AM
Hope that works out! :tu

taltos
09-02-2009, 02:50 PM
Al, this just proves that you make all of us better for having known you.:tu

SmokeyJoe
09-02-2009, 02:53 PM
Well it looks like Sophie is going to have a new home. The people interested came over and spent a couple hours with her. They took her for a long walk then we just hung out on the front porch talking. The lady never stopped petting her. :D

They wanted to sleep on it for another night. I think that's a great idea as I don't want they to take her out of impulse.

I think this will be a great fit as they are a couple with no other dogs and the man is semi-retired enabling him to spend a lot of time with her. AND, they live like 10 mins away so we will have visitation rights! :wo

I will post if they take her or not in the next couple of days.

Keep your fingers crossed. This dog deserves to have something good happen in her life.

Agreed... but Sofie has already had something good happen - running into your wife and family! :tu

LordOfWu
09-02-2009, 02:56 PM

Top notch

massphatness
09-02-2009, 07:48 PM

Did Al die? :D

Great news on the pup, buddy!
Posted via Mobile Device

ahc4353
09-06-2009, 06:52 AM
Update:

This is late as the hockey season has started and things are crazy. Anyway I wanted to tell everyone that Sophie has a new home!! Last Thursday she started a new chapter in her life. A life I'm sure will be filled with much nicer days then she was used to.

Alina and I were both sad and happy as we watched her leave. I kept telling her, "you did a good thing". She knows Sophie is better with her own home but it was still hard on her as she was very attached.

Good thing is she's close by and we will be seeing her from time to time!

Thanks for all the kind words and support.

massphatness
09-06-2009, 07:32 AM
Happiness reigns!
Posted via Mobile Device

G G
09-06-2009, 08:04 AM
Good ending for everyone Al.:tu

Coach Deg
09-09-2009, 07:30 PM
I have been offline for over two weeks and I kept thinking about Sophie's story. And looking forward to a happy ending. And it ended like all dog stories should.

SmokeyJoe
09-09-2009, 11:28 PM
Update:

This is late as the hockey season has started and things are crazy. Anyway I wanted to tell everyone that Sophie has a new home!! Last Thursday she started a new chapter in her life. A life I'm sure will be filled with much nicer days then she was used to.

Alina and I were both sad and happy as we watched her leave. I kept telling her, "you did a good thing". She knows Sophie is better with her own home but it was still hard on her as she was very attached.

Good thing is she's close by and we will be seeing her from time to time!

Thanks for all the kind words and support.

Glad it worked out so well... and you are right - your wife did a good thing. Nice to see a happy ending for Sophie!

icehog3
09-09-2009, 11:29 PM
Glad it worked out so well... and you are right - your wife did a good thing. Nice to see a happy ending for Sophie!

Can't say it any better than that, so I will just quote Joe. :)