PDA

View Full Version : Someday someone new

Da Klugs
10-22-2008, 08:51 AM
....is going to look at the member list join dates and say... hmmm how the heck did that happen?

Did aliens release captive smokers back into the asylum?
Is this an elaborate scheme set-up to get me to send first?
Are these really individual members or just one hyperactive guy with a personality disorder?

;)

mikeyj23
10-22-2008, 08:59 AM
I've thought about this too. I always thought it was fun to look through the members list on the old board by date and see who was still around, etc. 11 years from now when some young asylum member is doing the same thing they'll say "what the hell, all these people joined the same day? bizarre."

Mr.Maduro
10-22-2008, 09:05 AM
Wait til all the anniversary threads start popping up.... :hn :D

leasingthisspace
10-22-2008, 09:05 AM
I think it a good thing. In 10 years when I am a FOG on the site we will be look back to the start of this wonderful home we have now.

yourchoice
10-22-2008, 09:07 AM

Oh my! I hadn't thought of that. :r

Beer Doctor
10-22-2008, 09:07 AM
....is going to look at the member list join dates and say... hmmm how the heck did that happen?

Are these really individual members or just one hyperactive guy with a personality disorder?

;)

Everyone that joined up in Oct 08 will be considered the original refugees. We're CS expatriots:tu The story will become legend like the origin of the word "herf."

I can't click on your sig line, I think it's broke:confused::r

livwire68
10-22-2008, 09:12 AM
Thought about this the other day also. Will they think it was some massive cult following (it was :ss), is the FBI checking us out now? Maybe I need to re-inforce my tin foil hat. Glad to be part of it. Thanks to all who made it happen!

poker
10-22-2008, 09:16 AM
It will be a testament as to how many folks sought refuge during October 2008 due to various reasons, but one reason in particular.

loki
10-22-2008, 09:20 AM
well fr you dave the last point in your post it could be true

massphatness
10-22-2008, 09:25 AM
elaborate scheme

Just a guess, but I'm hypothesizing there may be one person who would use these exact words.

Sancho
10-22-2008, 09:26 AM

Perhaps a yearly herf will need to be thrown in October to comemorate new beginnings....

JKim
10-22-2008, 09:27 AM
11 years from now forums as we know them today won't exist. Prepare yourself for something completely different.

macms
10-22-2008, 09:30 AM
This is a rare phenomenon it seems to me, at least in my life experience. I can't think of a time where a large group made a collective decision and acted decisively like us. And so effortlessly. There have always been splinter groups who break away from organizations, but this is atypical and amazing to witness.

icehog3
10-22-2008, 10:39 AM

Oh, Crap! :r

I think it a good thing. In 10 years when I am a FOG on the site we will be look back to the start of this wonderful home we have now.

You all are Charter Inmates....I think it's cool. :)

Ironman
10-22-2008, 10:40 AM
It will be a testament as to how many folks sought refuge during October 2008 due to various reasons, but one reason in particular.

I think it's more a testament to the team of 11 and the amount of us that they have touched and the respect that they have built throughout the years!

King James
10-22-2008, 10:42 AM
This is a rare phenomenon it seems to me, at least in my life experience. I can't think of a time where a large group made a collective decision and acted decisively like us. And so effortlessly. There have always been splinter groups who break away from organizations, but this is atypical and amazing to witness.

Well said.

I said before it happened, Jon or anyone for that matter can't take 'CS" from the members....all he can take is a web addy.

mrreindeer
10-22-2008, 10:43 AM
11 years from now forums as we know them today won't exist. Prepare yourself for something completely different.

Yeah, I'm with Scott, we're going in on www.2girls1puff.com now.

You all are Charter Inmates....I think it's cool. :)

Agreed! :tu

Hey Kelly - Did you see my post about the Gurkha event in Pedro this Friday? I'll probably be there...

poker
10-22-2008, 10:46 AM
Hey Kelly - Did you see my post about the Gurkha event in Pedro this Friday? I'll probably be there...

I have a dinner date Friday, but I "may" be able to swing by. If I bring her with me, hands off! LOL!:r

ahc4353
10-22-2008, 10:49 AM
I think it's more a testament to the team of 11 and the amount of us that they have touched and the respect that they have built throughout the years!

(Insert, I'm With Stupid Guy here)
I'm so happy we have guys here that can put to words what I fail miserably at.

GKitty
10-22-2008, 10:55 AM

I've been touched?!?!?! Should I make a report? :hn

Seriously though, this is what I see as the motivation for a group of random people to act in concert.

funnymantrip
10-22-2008, 11:49 AM
I have to say this has re-vitialized me. The last year I hardly participated in the boards, aside from a few threads/themes. I did not even bother to go into most of the cigar rooms. So thank you.

G G
10-22-2008, 12:12 PM
It is nice to have a place where we can be excited about it.:D

GrtndpwrflOZ
10-22-2008, 12:31 PM
JEEZ LOUISE !!! Listen to all of you, you're all noobs. I joined here in.........OH,......Nevermind.

Actually all of the relplies in this thread make me feel pretty good about you guys letting me in :D
Thanks

OZ

MajorCaptSilly
10-22-2008, 12:32 PM
I think it's true that people want to go where the good guys go.

MCS

mrreindeer
10-22-2008, 12:32 PM
I have a dinner date Friday, but I "may" be able to swing by. If I bring her with me, hands off! LOL!:r

Just to be clear, hands off the girl or the gars??? :r:r

okierock
10-22-2008, 12:48 PM
I agree that it is a testament to the team of 11. A lot of forums I've been on, the mods were the worst part. To see everyone leave and go with the mods shows that the general populace felt the spirit they loved at CS was cultivated by these select few and would be likely to continue wherever they went.

Skywalker
10-22-2008, 01:10 PM

Viva la Revolution!!!:chr

DrDubzz
10-22-2008, 01:11 PM
feels good to be in on the ground floor, everyone here will help to shape this community for a long while. here's to the future of CA, and to the 11 who made it possible for us to be a part of it

kayak_rat
10-22-2008, 01:12 PM

;)

Stogiefanatic182 ????

croatan
10-22-2008, 01:23 PM
Stogiefanatic182 ????

:r:r:r

AriesOpusX
10-22-2008, 03:07 PM
Well I'm glad to be a noob with all of you fine noobs. :)

CeeGar
10-22-2008, 04:09 PM
I agree that it is a testament to the team of 11. A lot of forums I've been on, the mods were the worst part. To see everyone leave and go with the mods shows that the general populace felt the spirit they loved at CS was cultivated by these select few and would be likely to continue wherever they went.

I agree. These folks have imparted quite a bit of cigar knowledge and general good will. Hats off!

BC-Axeman
10-22-2008, 04:17 PM
It seems like over here no one has missed a beat and things just smoothly carry on. It's just like somebody told you to move your card game to another table.
There will probably be more than 1000 members started in Oct. 2008! Lets see how long it takes to get to 10,000.

Texan in Mexico
10-22-2008, 04:39 PM
To the Team of 11 and all of you, all I can say is thank you!

And to the fellow reading this in 2018 on his big toe - look behind you!

Ashcan Bill
10-22-2008, 05:31 PM
I'm a member of another board (non-cigar) that also started with a mass migration in 2002. Attrition has taken care of things - those of us with '02 join dates are in the small minority now.

Course, cigars smokers are rumored to have better staying power. :ss

TonySmith
10-22-2008, 05:57 PM
Alot of interesting things happened on October 8th

October 8

October 8, 1871 - The Great Fire of Chicago broke out. According to legend, it started when Mrs. O'Leary's cow kicked over a lantern in her barn on DeKoven Street. Over 300 persons were killed and 90,000 were left homeless as the fire leveled 3.5 square miles, destroying 17,450 buildings. Financial losses totaled over $200 million.

October 8, 1918 - During World War I, in the Argonne Forest in France, U.S. Sergeant Alvin C. York single-handedly took out a German machine-gun battalion, killing over a dozen and capturing 132. He was later awarded the U.S. Medal of Honor and the French Croix de Guerre.

October 8, 1993 - The U.N. General Assembly lifted economic sanctions against South Africa following the end of racial apartheid. The sanctions had been imposed since the 1960s.

October 8, 1996 - Palestinian President Yasser Arafat made his first public visit to Israel for talks with Israeli President Ezer Weizman at his private residence.

October 8, 1998 - The U.S. House of Representatives voted 258-176 to approve a resolution launching an impeachment inquiry of President Bill Clinton. It was only the third time in U.S. history the House launched a formal impeachment inquiry of a sitting president. (The other two - Andrew Johnson and Richard Nixon).

October 8, 2008 - The "gang of 11" started a new forum dedicated to fun and truth in cigars. Upholding the principals of stoogie freedom, with regard to race, creed, or geographical location. Their motto being, be true to your brother(or sister) and for God's sake keep it clean.

Birthday - American war ace Eddie Rickenbacker (1890-1973) was born in Columbus, Ohio. He commanded the first U.S. aero unit to take part in World War I and was credited with 26 victories, becoming America's leading ace. He was awarded the Congressional Medal of Honor. He later got involved in auto racing and headed Eastern Air Lines from 1934-63.

Texan in Mexico
10-22-2008, 06:45 PM
To the Team of 11 and all of you, all I can say is thank you!

And to the fellow reading this in 2018 on his big toe - look behind you!

Aladdin Sane
10-22-2008, 07:23 PM
Thanks to the Team of 11 a whole community of characters, despite their differences, decided to begin again at a new home for reasons obvious to us all.
People I never had any direct conversations with suddenly seemed like old friends.

I hope to post on this board years from now and wish these same characters the best and hopefully show some new Brothers the way as it has been shown to me.

......Now I'm off to post some mindless gibberish in the General Discusion forum. :D

:al BURP!!

The Korean
10-22-2008, 07:31 PM
It is amazing how many people got in within such a short amount of time.

white_s2k
10-22-2008, 07:39 PM
Is there a way to see our member number?

Starscream
10-22-2008, 07:44 PM
Course, cigars smokers are rumored to have better staying power. :ss
My wife might say differently:(:D

SmokeyJoe
10-22-2008, 07:44 PM

:r You are right, Patrick!

But it does also say something about the brotherhood of the guys and gals here at Cigar Asylum. :ss

DonWeb
10-22-2008, 09:04 PM

;)

Could be mass hysteria, or mass hypnotism.
(Just keeping in the theme of the 'sylum)

icehog3
10-22-2008, 10:52 PM

Near the bottom of the home page...Currently 895. :)

Da Klugs
10-22-2008, 11:03 PM

It's not displayed anywhere I can see. Some boards have it displayed on the member list, the sequence of joining, we could but it seems to serve only to divide vs unite, so we didn't. However, sorting the member list by join date puts them in order.... 1st =1, etc. :)

Near the bottom of the home page...Currently 895. :)

Number of members you are/were correct. :) Wait what was the question? (he he)

icehog3
10-22-2008, 11:27 PM
Number of members you are/were correct. :) Wait what was the question? (he he)

I'm such a douche bag.... :r

DrDubzz
10-22-2008, 11:30 PM
Everyone that joined up in Oct 08 will be considered the original refugees. We're CS expatriots:tu The story will become legend like the origin of the word "herf."

I can't click on your sig line, I think it's broke:confused::r

I agree with the spirit of this post, but who here joined oct 8th?

even the 11 didn't "join" until the 10th

Da Klugs
10-22-2008, 11:32 PM
I'm such a douche bag.... :r

I always loved the "Mr Obvious" skits on Bob and Tom! :)

How you been my brother?

ucla695
10-23-2008, 07:11 AM

:r:r:r

Oh man, they might have to creat a subforum for those threads. :r

BC-Axeman
10-23-2008, 07:17 AM
Your member number shows up in the URL bar as "u=###" when you click on your "Welcome,username" in the top right. I think it was also in the confirmation email.

white_s2k
10-23-2008, 07:53 AM
Your member number shows up in the URL bar as "u=###" when you click on your "Welcome,username" in the top right. I think it was also in the confirmation email.

Thanks! #144 :ss

Texan in Mexico
10-23-2008, 08:07 AM
Maybe the noobie reading this in the future will also wonder whether Cigar Asylum is a place for mentally ill cigar smokers or a place of refuge for orphaned cigar smokers?

I guess my living in Third World countries over the past decade makes me lean more towards a refuge and it seems apt considering what happened though there seems to be a bit of both in this community!

Travis

Old Sailor
10-23-2008, 08:46 PM
The 11 are Plank Owners!!:D

Da Klugs
10-23-2008, 09:09 PM

Cool! I'm a WWII German submarine. :D

ahc4353
10-23-2008, 09:27 PM

Not a big deal but if I do what you say I'm number X. However, if you sort the members list by join date it's different.

Beer Doctor
10-23-2008, 10:00 PM
I agree with the spirit of this post, but who here joined oct 8th?

even the 11 didn't "join" until the 10th

08=2008:tu

ahc4353
10-24-2008, 07:17 AM
Could be mass hysteria, or mass hypnotism.
(Just keeping in the theme of the 'sylum)

Just as long as it's not massPHATNESS ;)

BC-Axeman
10-24-2008, 07:19 AM
Not a big deal but if I do what you say I'm number X. However, if you sort the members list by join date it's different.
I'm anal-itical enough to figure this out but not OCD enough to care.:D