PDA

View Full Version : Leaving your Son/Daughter - College Support Thread

ahc4353
08-23-2009, 08:14 AM
We had one of these last year and it help me being a "first timer".

I'm off to drop Jr. at Penn State. Not as much anxiety as last year but it still sucks that he won't be around to shoot the chit with. He's come a long way and been through a lot since last October.

I hate today.

He will be fine, me not so much. :sad

Zanaspus
08-23-2009, 08:21 AM
I miss those college days. Take solace in the fact that he'll be enjoying a lot of good "blunts." :ss

Skywalker
08-23-2009, 08:41 AM
First day of kindergarten or going off to college, it all sucks for a good parent!!! Bitter sweet because we want them to succeed but we want them to stay with us!

Our kids know we love them but they have no idea what these milestones do to us!!!

Hang in there Al. Have a nice cigar and maybe write him a letter telling him how you feel!:2

BTW - I have three out of the house now, two of which are in college! My youngest starts Preschool tomorrow! Mom is all torn up over it!

BlackDog
08-23-2009, 09:22 AM
My daughter starts her freshman year on Tuesday. I'm glad that she'll be going to a local college for her basics. She wants to go into nursing, but will do her basic courses nearby and live at home to save some money.

Smokin Gator
08-23-2009, 09:24 AM
I feel your pain brother... I took my youngest off to college August 7. He has been good about calling every couple of days and letting me know how his soccer practices are going so that has helped... but I still miss the knot head!!!

captain53
08-23-2009, 09:33 AM
I so well remember moving mine into his first College House 4 years ago this month and Mom crying all the way home but that is life and it goes forward. You will not quit missing them but it will get better quickly, with cell phones it is so easy to stay in touch and know they are safe. It is also a test of how good a job you did and can make you feel very good when they succeed.

My son finished last week and just moved back home yesterday so now there is a new world to deal with as the job market is really tough for new graduates now. So there is stress on both ends starting and finishing but we will all survive. Enjoy one of your finest cigars and your best liquor relax to the memories of growing up!

ahc4353
08-23-2009, 09:51 PM
Well it's done. Jr is all settled in and I'm home.

I was hoping it would be easier this year.

It wasn't.

Smoked two cigars on the ride home. They helped.

:sad

alley00p
08-23-2009, 10:08 PM
It's really tough to see them leave when they go, and it's a big adjustment for Mom and Dad! Especially after this past year, with all of the recuperating that Jr. had to go through!

But, look on the bright side, Al... a number of months ago, you were besides yourself with worries that Jr. would be injured a long time! Now, he's doing well enough to head off to college and get on with his life! :D

I'm sad for you and Alina, but I'm tickled to hear that Jr. is doing great! :tu

:dance:

GHC_Hambone
08-23-2009, 10:08 PM
Can we get a support thread for the students too? LOL

Seriously, its hard on both ends. I hate leaving home and leaving friends and family. Its tough but you just gotta keep on truckin.

Thanks to the supportive parents out there, I know I couldn't make it without mine.

Eleven
08-23-2009, 10:12 PM
I have had 2 move out and 1 still at home. The youngest one at home is just 10, so we have a few more years before we can truly become 'Empty Nesters'.

I got a feeling my wife will take it MUCH worse than I will :)

alley00p
08-23-2009, 10:19 PM
First day of kindergarten or going off to college, it all sucks for a good parent!!! Bitter sweet because we want them to succeed but we want them to stay with us!

Our kids know we love them but they have no idea what these milestones do to us!!!

Hang in there Al. Have a nice cigar and maybe write him a letter telling him how you feel!:2

BTW - I have three out of the house now, two of which are in college! My youngest starts Preschool tomorrow! Mom is all torn up over it!

Darrell, all of those little milestones, are the things that parents worry about the whole time the kids are growing up!

My "Baby" just started driving a few months ago, on his learner's permit. I can't believe it. This "Baby" is now 6'-4", and it kills me sometimes!

But, we've got through 3 others, somehow, so I know we'll be able to do it again! :D

:dance:

replicant_argent
08-23-2009, 10:45 PM
Well it's done. Jr is all settled in and I'm home.

I was hoping it would be easier this year.

It wasn't.

Smoked two cigars on the ride home. They helped.

:sad

Not so sad at all, my friend.

Look at the relationship you have with your son and imagine some of us are envious of the relationship you have with him.

Darrell
08-23-2009, 10:58 PM
I wish my Dad felt something when I left home. I walked into a hotel and from there went to a bus which took me to Lackland AFB for Basic Training. 6 months later Sept 11th erupted and I never even got a phone call.

I'm envious of the kind of father you're Al, you're all good in my book. :)

Ahbroody
08-23-2009, 11:42 PM
Take pride in the fact you did it right Al. In my talks with you I know how much you love your boys and how much pride you take in what they have done and who they have become.

I am just starting down this road and can only imagine the mess I will be when this time comes.

ahc4353
08-24-2009, 11:42 AM
Thanks guys for all the support. Some very eye opening posts.

Thanks again!

:l

Wanger
08-24-2009, 12:03 PM
The youngest in my house will be starting kindergarten after Labor Day. I'm looking forward to him going to school (he says he wants to learn :D ) and making new friends, yet at the same time am a bit sad seeing my little boy growing up so fast.

GoatLocker
08-25-2009, 12:01 AM
My little girl is off to college in September. It's gonna be strange with just me and the missus, and I'm going to miss her dearly. It's bitter sweet, as I'm so excited for her and the adventure she is about to embark on, but sad that she is leaving. It's gonna be tough to say goodbye. At least it's only 5 hours away, and at a beautiful location on the coast, so we can drop in and say 'hi' between breaks.

cbsmokin
08-26-2009, 11:25 AM
I miss those college days. Take solace in the fact that he'll be enjoying a lot of good "blunts." :ss

WTF? :td

Zanaspus
08-27-2009, 08:11 AM

To the mods: Can we just delete this comment made by this idiot? He assures me it was made in a less than lucid moment.

ahc4353
08-27-2009, 08:20 AM
To the mods: Can we just delete this comment made by this idiot? He assures me it was made in a less than lucid moment.

I received a very nice PM from this guy this morning. He's far from an idiot, actually, based on that PM he's a stand up guy in my book.

I think I might have made one or two posts I wish I could of had back in my time here. :hm

cbsmokin
08-27-2009, 08:46 AM
I received a very nice PM from this guy this morning. He's far from an idiot, actually, based on that PM he's a stand up guy in my book.

I think I might have made one or two posts I wish I could of had back in my time here. :hm

I'm a jokester myself. Just didn't see the need / appropriateness in this thread.

Man up approved. :tu

kgoings
07-07-2014, 06:02 PM
Found this old thread, I was thinking of starting one myself. My oldest daughter left for school yesterday. I thought I was going to be the solid parent, while my wife was a mess...guys don't cry. We took her to the airport and dropped her off...I was right mom was a mess. And I was good...till I got home. I'm a mess. Its much better today, but still it hurts. One of the things I keep going over, are the missed opportunities. My wife says don't beat yourself up..but I look back and I feel like I wasn't the Dad that I set out to be...at least the last few years. And it hurts. Too many times I was selfish or lazy and didn't take opportunities to do something with her.

I am debating sending her some letters, and maybe care packages. Not that it will make up for those missed opportunities, but I remember when I went to school and the Army .. I liked getting the letters...and emails are too blah.

icehog3
07-07-2014, 08:07 PM
There will be lots more opportunities throughout your lives, Kirk, and I know you'll take full advantage. :)

azar
07-07-2014, 08:25 PM
Kirk I will be going through this on the 25th of this month our first one to leave and scares the hell out of me! Mom and Dad both will be a mess pretty sure of that and to add to the pot her "boy freind" is moving with her.
At this point all we can do is hope that we have done our best we could.
Good luck
Mack

pnoon
07-07-2014, 08:34 PM
we have done our best we could.
Once they become young adults, our influence as parents is pretty much done.
We do our best to provide them with a start in life. What they do with it is up to them and beyond our control.

We still worry and hope they make wise choices but it's in their hands.