PDA

View Full Version : Moral Dilemna...

BFallehy
08-20-2009, 12:16 PM
So I have a moral dilemna. Recently I made a purchase from an online retailer and received my package without an issue. All products were acounted for and the shipping was fast and in good condition when it arrived.

So here is the dilemna, I received another package from the same retailer with the exact same order. I checked and I was not charged a second time. The order number was the same as the one I already received, it just double shipped.

So what do I do? Do I keep the package and pretend nothing happend? or do I contact the retailer and let them know they made an error?

Inmates I need your help! :tf

ahc4353
08-20-2009, 12:18 PM
Well, if you were on the other end how would you want the guy in your shoes to handle it?

Send um back. :tu

markem
08-20-2009, 12:21 PM
Why is this a moral dilemma? Either you are ethical or you aren't.

IMO, you should be on the phone with the vendor explaining what happened and letting them decide what to do. They may decide that it isn't worth having it returned and merely thank you for the effort; ask you to return it at your cost; send you a shipping label; or something else.

At the end of the day, it IS NOT your package. Steal or don't, your call.

Starchild
08-20-2009, 12:21 PM
Personally, I would contact the vendor and let them know the mistake. Depending on the items involved, and the return shipping cost and hassle, they may tell you just to keep it.

It's nice to get free stuff, but I would make the call just to get it off my conscious.

:2

Tikihut27
08-20-2009, 12:23 PM
Personally, I would contact the vendor and let them know the mistake. Depending on the items involved, and the return shipping cost and hassle, they may tell you just to keep it.

It's nice to get free stuff, but I would make the call just to get it off my conscious.

:tpd:

Exactamundo.

Blindjimme
08-20-2009, 12:24 PM
What would you teach your kids to do? ;)

Doctorossi
08-20-2009, 12:28 PM
This is beyond a no-brainer. Get 'em on the horn, already!

Volt
08-20-2009, 12:39 PM
I guess it depends on who you are. No issue for me, I'd call. Still have to be able to look at my self in the mirror.

“No one will question your integrity if your integrity is not questionable.” – Nathaniel Bronner Jr

Skywalker
08-20-2009, 12:40 PM
I faced something like this a year ago:

http://img527.imageshack.us/img527/2111/backwoodszk2.jpg

I sent all twenty boxes back ASAP!!!

kelmac07
08-20-2009, 12:42 PM
I'd have to make that call. It's the right thing to do!! :tu

icurrie
08-20-2009, 12:44 PM

What he said.

hotreds
08-20-2009, 12:46 PM
Looks like you have the inmates' recommendation!

BFallehy
08-20-2009, 12:47 PM
Thanks everyone. :tu

I made the call and got it all worked out. As much as I would have loved to keep it I just couldn't do it. I appreciate the response from everyone. They are sending me a return ship tag and this lovely little package will be headed back home in a couple days.

Having morals can be a pain sometimes. :r

Texan in Mexico
08-20-2009, 12:48 PM
I think you have received some fair responses here.

Just give them a call and let them know what happened. Worst case scenario is they give you a credit for the cost of the shipping back.

Not worth the bitter taste of the smoking ill-gotten sticks IMHO.

BFallehy
08-20-2009, 12:49 PM

Did you send back the goofy smile aswell? :r:r:r

Skywalker
08-20-2009, 12:55 PM
Did you send back the goofy smile aswell? :r:r:r

Unfortunately they wouldn't let me!!!:(

icehog3
08-20-2009, 01:14 PM
Scares me that one person voted to keep them and say nothing.

68TriShield
I was shipped a box of VR Unicos once I didn't order.
A email was sent to the vendor and he told me to enjoy them :)

yourchoice
I think since you asked the question, you already knew what the right thing to do was.

ahc4353

:tpd: :sad

Scottw
08-20-2009, 01:16 PM
Re: Icehog's response.

Gotta agree with the big man here.

Darrell
08-20-2009, 01:16 PM
Do the right thing, Brian. :)

:tf

Starscream
08-20-2009, 01:43 PM

I posted in that thread a year ago when I was a noob! I acted like a douchebag in that thread (just ask Vic);s. Morally, it is your obligation to contact the vendor. It's awful tempting not to, but at this point in my life I would do what is right and call them. They may just tell you to keep them anyway (or look out for you in some way, shape, or form) depending on what you ordered.

EDIT: That pic is classic, BTW!

Cyanide
08-20-2009, 01:56 PM
1) Contact the vendor

2) convince the vendor that the best place for these cigars to is to "the troops"

3) find someone on the board that can fix you up with a "troop support network" and get those things to Iraq/Afghanistan

4) Include some recognition to the vendor in the package, so that maybe some new business is generated for the vendor (maybe the vendor can help you with this)

That's my answer to it.

Cy

Skywalker
08-20-2009, 02:00 PM
I posted in that thread a year ago when I was a noob! I acted like a douchebag in that thread (just ask Vic);s. Morally, it is your obligation to contact the vendor. It's awful tempting not to, but at this point in my life I would do what is right and call them. They may just tell you to keep them anyway (or look out for you in some way, shape, or form) depending on what you ordered.

EDIT: That pic is classic, BTW!

We have all come a long way since a year ago!!!:tu

Starscream
08-20-2009, 02:06 PM
We have all come a long way since a year ago!!!:tu

I'd like to think that I have matured since then (just a little bit) since then. I was a noob and thought someone was talking junk to me, when in fact they were in the right and giving sound advice.

GreekGodX
08-20-2009, 02:24 PM
You made the right choice by calling :tu

BarneyBandMan
08-20-2009, 02:36 PM

IMO, you should be on the phone with the vendor explaining what happened and letting them decide what to do. They may decide that it isn't worth having it returned and merely thank you for the effort; ask you to return it at your cost; send you a shipping label; or something else.

geesh--wow--gotta agree with Mark (and Tom)--and maybe not post a WTS or WTT for a while until your "morals" preclude this kind of thinking--just not sure its the CA way..my:2

Anthem
08-20-2009, 02:56 PM

I agree. I had a similar situation although the item in question was a 5 pack that I ordered and got the box instead. I contacted the vendor to see how he wanted to proceed, and asked if I was happy with the service. I told that I was happy and he said to keep the extra smokes. :tu

poker
08-20-2009, 02:56 PM

No kidding.

Scottastic
08-20-2009, 02:57 PM
geesh--wow--gotta agree with Mark (and Tom)--and maybe not post a WTS or WTT for a while until your "morals" preclude this kind of thinking--just not sure its the CA way..my:2

Query: was that directed towards BFallehey? Because imo we all have had moral delemnas like this. Life is all about temptation. If this was about a BOTL sending him an extra box, I'm sure he wouldn't have had any question what to do (although with the way our brothers go, it would probably be intentional:D).

No matter who you are, there is a mental differentiation between a vender and a person. We all know (with a little reflection) that there is not one, but I digress. If I made a purchase at Wal-Mart, I would have to think for a minute if I wanted to take back the extra box of cookies that wound up in my bag, as opposed to the girl-scout who gave me one too many.

The important thing is that he reached out for advice. The way I see it, it's less of a "what is the right thing?" question and more of a "what am I supposed to do?" inquiry. :2

The Poet
08-20-2009, 02:59 PM
I once got a shipment from a vendor that was not my order - as well as my order too. I called their service department and they sent me a return sticker, along with a free bundle of decent smokes. Morals? Karma? Whatever - as in "whatever goes around comes around."

Starscream
08-20-2009, 03:00 PM

I think that's a little extreme, but I see your point. I would gladly buy or trade from the OP if the price and product were what I was wanting. A person and corporation are two different things, even if the moral obligation is the same.

poker
08-20-2009, 03:07 PM
One time about 5 years ago, like 68TriShield, I too got a box of VR Unicos that I did not order. I called the vendor (who I used a lot back then). He said to keep them and thanked me for being honest enough to call him. On my next order from him he sent along with my order a very very nice thank you sampler of aged and vintage cigars. I never regret doing the right thing for the right reasons.

Sr Mike
08-20-2009, 03:14 PM
I had a similar incident happen with me. I gave them a call and told them I did not place the order for another box, though they did charge me. The retailer apologized and told me to keep the cigars and refunded my money. Be kind to our hobby.

Mr B
08-20-2009, 04:09 PM
Query: was that directed towards BFallehey?
The important thing is that he reached out for advice. The way I see it, it's less of a "what is the right thing?" question and more of a "what am I supposed to do?" inquiry. :2

Guys, let me just say that Brian is as honest as they come. I agree w/ what Scott said earlier and I have to say that flagging him on WTS & WTB is way extreme. He has been involved in good trades, granted MAW/PIF's and has given loads of good smokes to the troops. Give the guy a break. Sometimes the fingers just act a little quicker than the brain. We have ALL had that problem at one time or another.

:ss

Skywalker
08-20-2009, 04:16 PM

Query: was that directed towards BFallehey? Because imo we all have had moral delemnas like this.

I think that's a little extreme, but I see your point. I would gladly buy or trade from the OP if the price and product were what I was wanting. A person and corporation are two different things, even if the moral obligation is the same.

I remember when I posted about my mix up back at CS. I purposely posted without mentioning that I got twenty boxes of Backwoods! I was having fun with the post... just as I believe Brian was with this Thread!!!

Each of you quoted above - I concider you as true BOTL! I have interacted with each of you, just as I have with Brian, the OP! He is a good brother!!!:)

And for your information if he hadn't acted ethically... the BABOTL would have kicked his butt... right after we cleaned out his Humidor of course!!! :r

Martin
08-20-2009, 04:22 PM

Keep the package, sleep with your wifes sister n beat yur kids, it's a no brainer.

csbrewfisher
08-20-2009, 04:23 PM
I agree with the majority here. Don't you do the same thing at the cash register if they give you too much change?

The measure of character is what you do when you don't have to.

macpappy
08-20-2009, 04:33 PM
Thank you for doing the right thing.

Life is filled with temptations and moral dilemma's.

How we handle them is what separates the good people from the a$$hats.

BFallehy
08-20-2009, 04:39 PM
Just to let everyone know I did contact the vender and let them know. I have made arrangments to actualy keep them. (I called them back and said I wanted to keep them. they are already here after all.) So I paid for them and they are mine.

They were even nice enough to give me a discount on the package since they didn't have to pay to have it shipped back. So everything worked out great.

As for the WTT or WTS threads, I don't tend to post. I like hording. :r:r:r

But thank you everyone for helping me to beat temptation off with a stick. Otherwise my fellow BABOTL would have been cleaning out my humi according to Darrel. :su

alley00p
08-20-2009, 04:42 PM
I would imagine that smoking any of those sticks would've left a nasty taste in your mouth! Cuz, YOU would know deep down inside that they weren't really yours!

In the end, you are honest or not! I know most of us would be upset if they received 1/2 of their order, so treat the seller the way you would want to be treated :tu

:dance:

SmokeyJoe
08-20-2009, 08:23 PM
Glad you did the right thing...

Integrity is worth way more than a box of smokes.

Just to let everyone know I did contact the vender and let them know. I have made arrangments to actualy keep them. (I called them back and said I wanted to keep them. they are already here after all.) So I paid for them and they are mine.

They were even nice enough to give me a discount on the package since they didn't have to pay to have it shipped back. So everything worked out great.

As for the WTT or WTS threads, I don't tend to post. I like hording. :r:r:r

But thank you everyone for helping me to beat temptation off with a stick. Otherwise my fellow BABOTL would have been cleaning out my humi according to Darrel. :su

DrDubzz
08-20-2009, 08:38 PM
careful when beating off temptation :r

Cigary
08-20-2009, 08:47 PM
I had this happen years ago with a vendor who sent me out two extra bundles of cigars that were not boxed but were put in a bag with pillows. When I called him and told him the mistake he said if they were in a box that was sealed he'd want them back but since they were shipped in a bag that were already handled he couldn't "ethically" take them back because they were not a boxed item. He told me to keep them and I have been a customer ever since and that has been 15 years running. It's always a good idea to tell the truth and do the right thing.

GKitty
08-20-2009, 08:49 PM
**a$$hattery accomplished**

Nothing to see here, move along.

Thanks, Mark.

This is why Kitty shouldn't internet past her bed time.

markem
08-20-2009, 08:50 PM
Not to be an a$$hat, but which is it? :confused:

He said that he called them back. That's pretty plain to me.

Cenookie
08-20-2009, 08:56 PM
You did the right thing by contacting the vendor, there's nothing like going to sleep without guilt.

ucla695
08-20-2009, 09:31 PM
Gotta send'em back. It's the right thing to do. :)

G G
08-22-2009, 06:18 PM
You made the right choice by calling :tu
I have to agree.:tu

kaelaria
08-22-2009, 09:56 PM
DOH move one vote over my dumbass clicked the wrong one LOL!!

Darrell
08-22-2009, 10:11 PM
You're a good man, Charlie Brown.

adampc22
08-22-2009, 10:21 PM

what that bloke said

Genetic Defect
08-22-2009, 10:29 PM

not to tell mommy that I bought more cigars...

also I would be in contact with the vendor to see how they want this handled.