PDA

View Full Version : Car Audio install question

doctorcue
08-20-2009, 11:20 AM
Hey all,

I'm finally replacing my blown amp in my car. Essentially my crappy wiring kit prior shorted & fried my amp. So I replaced all of the wiring with StreetWires gear. I'm basically doing the same setup as below; just only with one amp.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v213/doctorcue/wiring.jpg

So my question is that I bought a 1 farad capacitor. My only question is charging the thing. I have read that I need to wire everything up and then replace the main fuse with the resistor. Yet... I'm dual fused from the distribution block (carry-over from the prior cheap crap shorting and melting) and I'm not sure where to put the resistor. Also, should I wire everything up except the amp then charge the capacitor?

I'm hoping there are some car audio fans here that can help me. Otherwise I'm going to have to sit on the phone for a bit with streetwires.

dubnick
08-20-2009, 11:24 AM
Wire everything up, then remove the fuse under the hood, and replace with the resistor.

Shouldn't have any problems!!

FWIW, I never used the resistors provided. I used a test light (put the clamp to one side of the fuse holder, and the probe to the other. When the light goes very dim, or out, the cap is charged)

Hope this help!!!

BTW, I'm a MECP Certified installer

doctorcue
08-20-2009, 12:14 PM
So wire everything up including the amp? Or should I wait until the cap is charged?

dubnick
08-20-2009, 12:16 PM
Wire up the Amp as well. Charging the Cap should be the last step.

doctorcue
08-20-2009, 12:18 PM
Awesome, thanks man.

Still want some Tat Especiales? Hit me up with your addy!

dubnick
08-20-2009, 12:24 PM
No Problem :tu

PM Sent