PDA

View Full Version : Who has the best price on this?

N2Advnture
08-19-2009, 06:12 PM
I'm looking at getting a blu ray player and settled on the LG BD390 but the best price I could find is $300 which seems a little lofty.

Who do you use for best buys when buying electronics?

Thanks for looking

~Mark

shilala
08-19-2009, 06:19 PM
You can get a ps3 with bluray for $275.
Aside from that, there's a lot of better deals out there.
There's a sony bluray surround system at my sears under 300 bucks on clearance.

coastietech
08-19-2009, 06:21 PM
I tend to use google shopping when I'm looking for a good deal. I believe it's www.froogle.com

dunng
08-19-2009, 06:22 PM
PS3! :tu

sodomanaz
08-19-2009, 06:51 PM
I'm looking at getting a blu ray player and settled on the LG BD390 but the best price I could find is $300 which seems a little lofty.

Who do you use for best buys when buying electronics?

Thanks for looking

~Mark
To those suggesting PS3:
PS3's HDMI transmitter chip does not support bit-stream output of next gen audio codecs, so keep that in mind when choosing a PS3 as your end all be all Blu-Ray player. This means you wont have DTS HD, nor any bitstream output, which leaves you out of TrueHD as well.

Mark:
The LG BD390 is your best choice as it covers all of that, so unless you plan on multitasking, skip the PS3. :) At one time the PS3 was the end all be all for Blu-Ray, but time has passed it by.

For purchasing, I would say keep an eye on slickdeals.net's Hot Deal forum if you have time. Generally can find decent deals there (Amazon does some very good player + disc combo sales) if you are willing to look for them.

Otherwise, I would say go with Amazon if you like online no pressure situations, or just walk into Best Buy and get harassed to death into buying a $200 Monster Cable you don't need (Monoprice.com is your friend for all cable needs). Just don't be fooled by the gimmick and be ready to say no.
:)

Scimmia
08-19-2009, 06:53 PM
To those suggesting PS3:
PS3's HDMI transmitter chip does not support bit-stream output of next gen audio codecs, so keep that in mind when choosing a PS3 as your end all be all Blu-Ray player. This means you wont have DTS HD, nor any bitstream output, which leaves you out of TrueHD as well.

True, but it will decode those formats and output them in PCM, which is no different than if the receiver decoded them.

kydsid
08-19-2009, 07:02 PM
I would suggest two sources of finding the best price on that player: www.slickdeals.net and www.avsforum.com

N2Advnture
08-19-2009, 07:11 PM
The main reasons why I chose this particular unit is:

1.) Very good reveiws
2.) Has Netflix streaming
3.) Built-in WIFI

Thanks for the tips on where to look!

Sodo - I agree on the Monster cables and usually get 'em from blue jean cables with very good results but I'll give Mono a try, thanks!

I thought about the PS3 but have a Wii that I've never taken out of box (had a PS3 a while ago but spent so much time on it that I sold it - They are EVIL! :))

WildBlueSooner
08-19-2009, 08:40 PM
To those suggesting PS3:

Mark:
The LG BD390 is your best choice as it covers all of that, so unless you plan on multitasking, skip the PS3. :) At one time the PS3 was the end all be all for Blu-Ray, but time has passed it by.

For purchasing, I would say keep an eye on slickdeals.net's Hot Deal forum if you have time. Generally can find decent deals there (Amazon does some very good player + disc combo sales) if you are willing to look for them.

Otherwise, I would say go with Amazon if you like online no pressure situations, or just walk into Best Buy and get harassed to death into buying a $200 Monster Cable you don't need (Monoprice.com is your friend for all cable needs). Just don't be fooled by the gimmick and be ready to say no.
:)

PS3= Awesome :tu

shilala
08-19-2009, 08:41 PM
The main reasons why I chose this particular unit is:

1.) Very good reveiws
2.) Has Netflix streaming
3.) Built-in WIFI

Thanks for the tips on where to look!

Sodo - I agree on the Monster cables and usually get 'em from blue jean cables with very good results but I'll give Mono a try, thanks!

I thought about the PS3 but have a Wii that I've never taken out of box (had a PS3 a while ago but spent so much time on it that I sold it - They are EVIL! :))

Brother, just go get it. :)
I use Groogle for pricing, I check ebay too.
If it'll make you happy, and it's what you like, it's definately the right decision. :tu