PDA

View Full Version : I want to hear your desperation CA

sikk50
08-18-2009, 07:29 PM
After work we had a bonfire at the lake last night. Of course everyone looks to me to hand out cigars which is fine I don't mind. Then it hits me I don't have a cutter on me, no worries my gf happened to have one I left in her car. Then Noone has a lighter since one of the bone heads threw the bic used to light the fire in the fire to see it pop! This is where it got fun! 5 guys trying to light cigars off of those car cigarette lighter dealies.

So CA I thought this could be fun. I want to hear your stories if desperation whether be for lack of lighter or cutter! What'd you do?

Texan in Mexico
08-18-2009, 07:39 PM
Neat idea for a thread.

As for the cutter I have never really had a problem as I tend to bite the end off of most of my smokes these days.

Once I was on a small boat working for a couple days and no one had matches. So me a buddy longingly looked at the flares for a while and decided that was not a good idea.

The captain had a small coffee maker and we were able to get some paper towels to catch fire and we lighted our cigars that way one night. Its a messy proposition and not the smartest thing to do while on a vessel but it worked ok haha.

Addiction
08-18-2009, 08:26 PM
I bit off the end of a cigar once, it was horrible. I would never do that again. Threw the cigar away and ended up spitting out tobacco for three hours.

uncballzer
08-18-2009, 08:47 PM
I keep a cigar punch keychain on my keys at all times, which stay in my pocket at all times.

Just for the hell of it--I've lit cigars using burning "torches" from the bon-fire! It does impart an extra taste though I admit. Sometimes good, sometimes bad.

Skywalker
08-18-2009, 08:51 PM
I used a box of B&M matches one time!!! To light two cigars!!!

That sucked!!!

groogs
08-18-2009, 08:55 PM
The cutter is no problem, I always have a pocket knife. I also keep a lighter with me at all times. My wife always wants to know why I have a lighter all the time, and I tell her if I am ever stranded on a desert island I will be able to light my cigar and enjoy the view.:ss

Les Nessman
08-18-2009, 08:56 PM
As opposed to actually biting off the end of cigars, you can moisten the head and kind of scrape off the cap with your teeth. That works for robustos, toros etc. at least.

mugwump
08-19-2009, 12:44 PM
I once spent the better part of a wedding reception trying to light cigars off a car lighter and never did get it to work. Still beat sitting around at the boring reception.

cbsmokin
08-19-2009, 01:20 PM
No cutter = smoke it back wards. No lighter, well that just sucks.

LockOut
08-19-2009, 02:04 PM
No cutter = smoke it back wards. No lighter, well that just sucks.

done this a handful of times, slightly difficult to light it at first though.

The Poet
08-19-2009, 02:06 PM
I have used a golf tee as a punch, and have used the crappy scissors of my crappy "working" pocketknife as a cutter, as well as the straight blade of my Old Timer. As for fire - well, just rub two sticks together, then both are lit.

:ss

JJG
08-19-2009, 03:03 PM
I have used a golf tee as a punch

:tpd:

haha I've had to do this a few times. It's not pretty but it works.

SmokinCozy
08-19-2009, 03:32 PM
Yard gar...bite it and light it....by any means...Any of my premiums....put away for another day

RevSmoke
08-19-2009, 03:58 PM
Hmm.

Used last match to light the 7th night's campfire, butane gone, lighters empty. Oh yeah, smaller twig makes a good lighter.

Or, the time I was at a friends and lit my cigar by firing up the gas stove and using the flame.

No cutter? I've used so many different things for that - filet knife, any knife, and even my teeth.

sodomanaz
08-19-2009, 07:03 PM
I use my fingernail and try to work around the cap. It generally isn't too much of a problem unless it is a really dry stick.

kgraybill
08-20-2009, 06:43 PM
On a hunting trip, my lighter ran empty. After some thinking, I took the 6 volt battery out of a lantern grabbed a paper clip and a pair of pliers. I held the paperclip with the pliers and touched the end to each spring on the battery. Once ot got red hot I was able to light my stogie. A bit unever but lit non the less.

poriggity
08-22-2009, 11:02 AM
I can honestly say I've never been without a lighter. If I don't have a cutter, then I bit the end off, as I usually smoke robustos or toros. I carry TWO lighters in my pocket, in case one fails, and I have at least 1 in every vehicle I own, along with butane in each glove box. I am fully prepared LOL.
Scott

Bluce
08-22-2009, 12:39 PM
The trusted leatherman always attached to my hip is the back up cutter.
But one time fishing, i let the other guys light with matches first, they burned through 3 full boxes, it was a bit windy mind you but not that bad. They left me with one. Got the job done, burnt it down till I fried my fingers, but enjoyed that smoke.

alley00p
08-22-2009, 01:23 PM
I can honestly say I've never been without a lighter. If I don't have a cutter, then I bit the end off, as I usually smoke robustos or toros. I carry TWO lighters in my pocket, in case one fails, and I have at least 1 in every vehicle I own, along with butane in each glove box. I am fully prepared LOL.
Scott

I invested in one of the little Xikar flat cutters that now resides in my wallet at ALL times! I normally have at least 2 lighters in my pockets, and each vehicle has an emergency Ronson, under the seat.

I tend to fill my lighters at night before going to bed, just to make sure that they won't run empty... :D

The mini-mancave has a couple of tabletop lighters, so I never have to interupt a pleasurable smoke! :ss

:dance:

poriggity
08-22-2009, 03:18 PM

I invested in one of the little Xikar flat cutters that now resides in my wallet at ALL times! I normally have at least 2 lighters in my pockets, and each vehicle has an emergency Ronson, under the seat.

I tend to fill my lighters at night before going to bed, just to make sure that they won't run empty... :D

The mini-mancave has a couple of tabletop lighters, so I never have to interupt a pleasurable smoke! :ss

:dance:

Glad to know I am not the only crazy person :)
Scott

Kreth
08-22-2009, 04:29 PM
Wow! I can usually go 2-3 weeks on my Ronson before I need a refill. Do you smoke a couple at a time? :r

BlackDog
08-22-2009, 04:29 PM
I once had SWMBO glare at a cigar until it ignited. :rolleyes:

Cenookie
08-22-2009, 07:29 PM
i once had swmbo glare at a cigar until it ignited. :rolleyes:

ouch!!!!!

Kreth
08-22-2009, 09:00 PM
I once had SWMBO glare at a cigar until it ignited. :rolleyes:
Yeah, but was the burn even? :r