PDA

View Full Version : Fun times on Sunday

GoldnGT
08-18-2009, 02:30 PM
Was coming home from shopping the other nite and heard a clunk sound under the car.. typical sound if you hit a rock and threw it up under the car.. just bouncing through the wheel wells. about a mile later, i heard it again and decided that it wasn't a coincidence.

I hit the brakes to pull off on the shoulder and heard an awful... bam! from the front right side. I hit the brakes and they were very spongy. I hit them again, and they were solid and slowly went down, hit them again same thing, finally got off the side of the road and heard another loud bam!

i got out and went around to the front passenger side where the air was leaking out of my tire, and i noticed a funny thing. The caliper was in FRONT of the rotor, leaking brake fluid of course.

I had to get it towed and dropped it off at one of the tire and brake shops I use.

Got a call from them yesterday and i've gotta get the backing plate and caliper replaced... as well as the rim, where the caliper cracked the inner wall (pic below) and since the tire was flat and pretty well locked up, gotta replace the tire as well, where it was drug accross the ground and up onto the flatbed =( So i'm probally looking at close to a grand in repairs... so much for new cigars in the next few months /sigh :td:td

Starchild
08-18-2009, 02:45 PM
Ouch!! Did the caliper bolts just come loose or what?

Steve
08-18-2009, 03:20 PM
Dang man...glad you weren't hurt!

MedicCook
08-18-2009, 03:24 PM
Wow, pretty impressive. Glad you got pulled over before something worse happened.

68TriShield
08-19-2009, 05:58 AM
A Caliper coming loose never ends well.Good thing you stopped.

GoldnGT
08-19-2009, 08:01 AM
Ouch!! Did the caliper bolts just come loose or what?

I couldn't get a good enough look at the damage to say. It was pouring rain and by the time I got over to the shop the next day, they already had it taken apart. I've gotta drop by there later today to see if they have an answer for me on that.

I'm glad traffic was no heavier than it was, b/c i was in the far left lane running about 75 and had to come accross 3 lanes to get to the shoulder.

What really made me nervous was that about 20 minutes after I had been sitting there in my friend's car behind mine, there was an accident on the other side of the interstate from where my car was... so not only did I have to worry about the "accidental" someone swerving off the road, but now, onlookers and such trying to look at the wreck on the other side of the interestate and not paying attention to the cars in front of them.

Everything worked out though and everyone is safe... even the people in the wreck on the other side of the road.

elderboy02
08-19-2009, 08:04 AM
I am glad to hear you are ok. :tu

BFallehy
08-19-2009, 08:16 AM
Sorry to hear that man. Atleast no one got hurt. :tu

GoldnGT
08-19-2009, 11:56 AM
Final hit - $395 from the repair shop, $160 for the new rim and $130 for the tire. :bh:bh

Could have been a lot worse though. I was estimating a lot more in repairs.

kelmac07
08-19-2009, 12:12 PM
Sorry to hear...thanks goodness noone was hurt.