PDA

View Full Version : Eagles Roll The Dice On Vick

blugill
08-13-2009, 07:05 PM
Yep, Philly took on the PR nightmare that is Michael Vick with a 2 year contract.

kelmac07
08-13-2009, 07:08 PM
I like this...and seeing him get a second chance.

WildBlueSooner
08-13-2009, 07:09 PM
I like this...and seeing him get a second chance.

:tpd: I think he will prove that he deserved an extra shot....plus he is a fairly good athlete ;)

Mark C
08-13-2009, 07:09 PM
Well that didn't take long. No surprise though, it is the National Felon's League after all.

blugill
08-13-2009, 07:10 PM
Well that didn't take long. No surprise though, it is the National Felon's League after all.

Not really, Stallworth has been suspended an entire season. I doubt if Pacman will ever play another down.

white_s2k
08-13-2009, 07:27 PM

Yep, let's sentence felons to prison and not allow them to rebuild their lives afterwards. Good thinking.

SeanGAR
08-13-2009, 07:30 PM
Yep, let's sentence felons to prison and not allow them to rebuild their lives afterwards. Good thinking.

Rebuilding their lives is one thing ... giving them millions to play a game is somewhat different. I think Vick would do a great job as a construction worker for $7.25 an hour.

tobii3
08-13-2009, 08:08 PM
:tpd:

okay, start him at $8.75 as a bonus.

dubnick
08-13-2009, 08:38 PM
As an Eagles fan, I'm still in shock, and not really shore how I feel about this yet

ucla695
08-13-2009, 08:42 PM
Phew, it wasn't the Steelers that signed him. :dance:

taltos
08-13-2009, 08:44 PM
The Eagles couldn't handle TO so this should be fun to watch.:D

dubnick
08-13-2009, 08:47 PM
Correction: TO couldn't handle playing for a team that didn't let him do whatever he wanted!!! :rolleyes:

yourchoice
08-13-2009, 08:49 PM
The Eagles couldn't handle TO so this should be fun to watch.:D

I think the Eagles handled TO perfectly. He made it about himself, so bye-bye.

dubnick
08-13-2009, 08:51 PM
Thanks for the back-up Joel... :rl

taltos
08-13-2009, 08:51 PM
I do wish you guys luck with this nut and with the protests outside the stadium. I would not have wanted him more because of the gambling than the thing with the dogs but I hope that it works out ok for the Eagles.:tu

AD720
08-13-2009, 08:53 PM
I said it in the philly banter but I think it's a great move by the Eagles front office. Anytime you can lock up talent for that little money you do it.

Imagine trying to set up a defense when you have McNabb, Westbrooke, Vick, Jackson all lined up. DC's are going to be pulling their hair out. WILDCAT baby!

dubnick
08-13-2009, 08:57 PM
The Wildcat was strong before, now it will be a VERY strong asset.

I'm watching an Andy Reid press conference right now, and he's seriously considering keeping 4 QB's on the roster.

yourchoice
08-13-2009, 09:00 PM
I do wish you guys luck with this nut and with the protests outside the stadium. I would not have wanted him more because of the gambling than the thing with the dogs but I hope that it works out ok for the Eagles.:tu

I agree the distractions could be substantial, that is definitely a concern. Although Reid has his faults, keeping things internal is typically one of his strengths. This will be a tough one though.

I think tactically waiting until training camp was over was important. No sense having a 24 hr distraction during camp. But still sign him early enough that you hope by week 1 it will be less of a distraction. The timing was right regardless if you think it's a good deal or not.

I've felt from the beginning he had should have the opportunity to play football in the NFL again. He served his sentence (IMO, maybe too long of one). I never thought he'd become an Eagle. I was truly shocked when I heard it.

Fingers crossed.

yourchoice
08-13-2009, 09:01 PM
Thanks for the back-up Joel... :rl

No problemo Lane. :tu

AD720
08-13-2009, 09:04 PM
He served his sentence (IMO, maybe too long of one).

That is quite true. No one can accuse him of getting off easy.

Cigary
08-13-2009, 10:09 PM
I don't have a problem with someone rebuilding their life after making critical mistakes in their life. Let's see, he went into the NFL where he received more money than most people in the world will ever see or earn. He takes that money and finances a ring where he trains dogs to kill each other for profit along with other unscrupulous people. Makes me wonder why those who choose to be so lenient with this scum feel that way? Oh, I know, because it wasn't their dog that was in there fighting for sport,,,getting torn to pieces so that others could make money on bets who would survive. Yes, it's hard to figure out why he just couldn't understand why this would be wrong to engage in this activity? He was only making millions of dollars and he thought he'd need a bit more money because it was a lucrative thing to do where he could conspire to bring in deviant people to train dogs to kill each other, bury them around the acreage of land he owned, host dog fights, bet on winners and continue this line of "sport" for as long as he could. Yes, Mr. Vick is an incredible addition to society because he's learned his lesson,,,don't get involved in dog fighting and sponser it and just use your "football talent" so others can appreciate your skills,,,never mind what a POS that you are or that your true nature is abhorrent to anything decent at all. We only care that you can quarterback a football team and win games,,,makes perfect sense to me.

cbsmokin
08-14-2009, 07:48 AM
Dec. 6, 2009 Eagles v. Falcons in ATL.

I'm a season ticket holder and I am very curious about the vibe in the stadium that day. Unfortunately, I think it will be packed with Vick supporters. Personally, even aside from the legal problems I like Matt Ryan much more. Bottom line is Vick is not a franchise QB, never has been, but playing him like "Slash" will likely be great for the team.

yourchoice
08-14-2009, 08:14 AM
Makes me wonder why those who choose to be so lenient with this scum feel that way? Oh, I know, because it wasn't their dog that was in there fighting for sport,,,getting torn to pieces so that others could make money on bets who would survive.

Who's being lenient? Do you think his prison sentence was too short, too long or appropriate? Do you feel he should have a lifetime ban from the NFL?

Should Ray Lewis have been permitted to play in the NFL after his issues? Should Plaxico Burress be permitted to play? Donte Stallworth? Leonard Little? Each of those guys have gotten, or will get another chance. What's the moral to the story here? That Vick would have been better off drinking and driving and killing a person? Or being out with some thug friends who stab someone and end up with an obstruction of justice plea deal? That seems perverse to me.

And, FWIW, all of this is coming from a dog lover.

AD720
08-14-2009, 08:21 AM

I've managed to stay out of this side of the discussion but the dude did his time. Yea he did a terrible, terrible thing. But he was sentenced (fairly harshly - no one can say he got off easy) , served his sentence, did/is doing his community service and went bankrupt. As far as football is concerned Goodall made his ruling and he went along with that too.

I think that if someone does all the stuff that courts tell them to do then they deserve a second chance so they can make things right. No one can judge him but the higher power, whatever that may be.

People are acting like he got away with something. I could understand the outrage if he walked. :confused:

coastietech
08-14-2009, 08:25 AM

I've managed to stay out of this side of the discussion but the dude did his time. Yea he did a terrible, terrible thing. But he was sentenced (fairly harshly - no one can say he got off easy) , served his sentence, did/is doing his community service and went bankrupt. As far as football is concerned Goodall made his ruling and he went along with that too.

I think that if someone does all the stuff that courts tell them to do then they deserve a second chance so they can make things right. No one can judge him but the higher power, whatever that may be.

People are acting like he got away with something. I could understand the outrage if he walked. :confused:

:tpd: As much as I would love to see him hung this is America. He did his time and has the opportunity to have a second chance. In this case the justice system worked he was punished. You can't punish him forever.

shilala
08-14-2009, 08:26 AM
I was surprised he was so stupid as to be involved in dog fighting in the first place.
Then I was surprised how much time he got.
The Eagles are a no bullshit organization, and he'll have a microscope so far up his ass he's gonna walk crooked.

I'm happy for him. I have to admit I'm a bit skeptical about his repentance, but time will tell. I did read up on all the hoops he'll have to jump through to keep his job, and he's got to pay so much money to so many people and places, he's pretty much working for nothing this year.
If he does well, stays on the up and up, he can have his life back in order in a very short time. I'm 100% behind him in that sense.

So far as what he did, I think he's paid (and will continue to suffer) for it for a good long time to come.
Time will tell. :tu