PDA

View Full Version : Headed to St. Petersburg, where do I wanna go?

Mark C
08-13-2009, 06:53 PM
I'm packing up the wife and baby and heading down to St. Pete in late Sep for a baptism, Im planning my fun time now before our schedule gets filled up with 'not fun time'. Assuming I have some time to kill Fri night or Sat, if I'm looking for cigars and/or rum, where should I spend my time/money? I hear Tampa's great for both, any places not to miss?

captain53
08-13-2009, 07:06 PM
I'm packing up the wife and baby and heading down to St. Pete in late Sep for a baptism, Im planning my fun time now before our schedule gets filled up with 'not fun time'. Assuming I have some time to kill Fri night or Sat, if I'm looking for cigars and/or rum, where should I spend my time/money? I hear Tampa's great for both, any places not to miss?

The Columbia Restaurant - a Florida tradition since 1905.

A Florida tradition since 1905, the Columbia Restaurant (in Ybor City) celebrates its centenary this year. The St. Petersburg location at the Pier downtown offers breathtaking waterfront views of Tampa Bay complimented by the family’s award-winning, century-old Spanish-Cuban recipes.

Address:
800 2nd Avenue N.E.
St. Petersburg, FL 33701

Telephone:
(727) 822-8000

http://www.columbiarestaurant.com/st_petersburg.asp

My Selection: Paella "A la Valencia"
Our version, prepared in a traditional paella pan, features clams, mussels, shrimp, scallops, calamares, chicken and pork, baked with Valencia rice, extra virgin olive oil, green peppers, Spanish onions, ripe tomatoes, garlic, spices and splashed with white wine.

I think St Pete has banned smoking in restaurants though.

$$$-$$$$

Coach Deg
08-13-2009, 07:20 PM
There is Blue Smoke in Clearwater. Scott(TripleF) is manager. Great smoking place. Not real smokey so if wife doesn't mind it she would enjoy also(or there is a mall across street.)

There is plenty of cigar shops, but actual bars is questionable. There is a place in St Pete Cigars on 3rd I believe. It looks neat,but service was horrible, cigar selection was avg, prices were outrageous. Tampa has a few neat places.

Really depends on where in StPete you are. The Trop even has a cigar bar that is open during Rays games. And every year after a Saturdy game(not announced yet) they have a smoker with players and coaches after the game.

If you want to PM me I could help you alittle better if I knew where in StPete you were staying. How far do you want to drive? Bringing wife/friends? Taking cab? Designated driver? Are cigars a must? Is beer and wine an option instead of Rum? A lot of variables. There is a lot of places you could hit.

Smokin Gator
08-13-2009, 07:44 PM
I could certainly be bribed to come down to Blue Smoke or Tampa Humidor!!!

TripleF
08-13-2009, 08:08 PM
What does it take to bribe you Brent? RS12's :D

Yeah bro comeone down to Blue Smoke Cigar bar in Clearwater, FL on Saturday night. I'll be working. We sell draft & Bottle beer and wine...sorry no rum.

BUCASmoker
08-13-2009, 08:18 PM
I thought this had to do with Russia and I came in here with a long list.... but that won't work anymore.

Mark C
08-14-2009, 05:30 AM
Thanks for the tips. I'm staying at the Treasure Island Residence Inn. I'll have a car, don't mind driving places. I can't remember what time I land Fri (25 Sep), but it's probably too late to grab anything more than a quick bite near the hotel and a smoke by the pool. Maybe I can sneak out to Blue Smoke Fri night depending on the flight :)

I'll probably have most of Saturday, 26 Sep free, but will have the baby with me so need daytime suggestions for what to do without smoking. Sat night I think we'll leave the boy with his grandmother and enjoy a rare 'grown up' date, need suggestions for good restaurants, something with 'local flavor'. I can find a steakhouse anywhere, what can I only get in Tampa/Clearwater/St. Pete?

As for rum, I'd settle for a good liquor store. Y'all can get a lot more down in Florida than we have in MD.

Coach Deg
08-14-2009, 11:02 AM
Salt Rock Grill in Treasure Island is awesome for date night. Has outdoor seating, indoor and outdoor bar. You can smoke cigars. At one point even had a very limited cigar selection. The food is excellent!!!!!! They have a sister restaurant in Clearwater called Island way grill. Island way is same indoor outdoor but Island way also has sushi bar. The Restuarants are owned by Mike Alstott, Dave Moore, and the head chef.

rizzle
08-16-2009, 11:13 AM
Dude, if you don't meet up with me for a smoke and a drink I'ma be pissed. Let me know when you're coming, we'll work out the details.
:tu

floydpink
08-16-2009, 12:29 PM
Grab a grouper sandwich at Frenchie's on Clearwater Beach at sunset.

Mark C
08-16-2009, 07:05 PM
Dude, if you don't meet up with me for a smoke and a drink I'ma be pissed. Let me know when you're coming, we'll work out the details.
:tu

Will do. On another note, does that countdown under your name correspond to a certain 8pm kickoff in Atlanta? :)

Grab a grouper sandwich at Frenchie's on Clearwater Beach at sunset.

I could go for fresh grouper. Y'all have any Marlin down there? Best fish I ever had was a marlin steak on my honeymoon in St. Lucia. That was 5 yrs ago and I'm still 'chasing the high'.

Smokin Gator
08-16-2009, 07:08 PM
What does it take to bribe you Brent? RS12's :D

That has been known to work.:tu I should be able to make this one work!

Stogieman
08-17-2009, 04:42 AM
Mark, if you're in area, you got to stop in Ybor City satuday night. It's party central and you'll get a few good deals on cigars as well....... :ss

kaelaria
08-17-2009, 07:15 AM
Tampa Humidor is not to be missed - 3x the size of everyone else!

rizzle
08-17-2009, 08:27 AM
Will do. On another note, does that countdown under your name correspond to a certain 8pm kickoff in Atlanta? :)
What makes you think that?
:wo

I could go for fresh grouper. Y'all have any Marlin down there? Best fish I ever had was a marlin steak on my honeymoon in St. Lucia. That was 5 yrs ago and I'm still 'chasing the high'.
Don't see much marlin around here.

Best grouper sandwich--Dockside Dave's
Best grouper sandwich with beach ambiance--Frenchy's Rockaway Grill
Best restaurant on the beach--Salt Rock Grill
Best liquor store--Total Wine
Best B&M--Tampa Humidor
Best cuban sangwich--La Ideal
Best beach bar--Undertow

Mark C
08-17-2009, 07:21 PM
Y'all keep throwing out these great recommendations and I'm going to need to add a day or two to my trip!

tedrodgerscpa
08-17-2009, 07:28 PM
I'm not from the area, but I HIGHLY recommend trying to connect with the Tampa/Clearwater/St. Pete area locals...

TripleF introduced me to the guys earlier this year, and he knows how to organize a great event.

Just my :2