PDA

View Full Version : Beignet Recipie

Volt
08-12-2009, 04:58 PM
If your asking yourself "what's a Beignet"? It's a sad life you have lived :) Also called French Market Doughnuts. Fried up into a hollw puff type pastry covered in powdered sugar. Outstanding with coffee!

Basin Street Dough by Dickie Betar 1967

3/4 cups scalded milk
1 stick of oleo
1/2 cup sugar
2 teaspoon salt
1 egg
4 cups all purpose flour
2 yeast cakes dissolved in 1/2 cup warm water or the equivalent from a jar of yeast

add scalded milk to soft oleo and stir, add sugar and salt, beat egg and add to milk mixture, (be sure it has cooled some or will kill yeast) and yeast and flour. Place in frig over night.

Roll and cut up (roll faily flat and cut into 1" strips and then teh strip into 1.5" to 2" pieces) and fry (take out calories) and then eat and enjoy with coffee of course sprinkle powdered sugar

captain53
08-12-2009, 05:01 PM
[QUOTE=Volt;507206]If your asking yourself "what's a Beignet"? It's a sad life you have lived :)

AMEN!:tu

Emjaysmash
08-12-2009, 05:01 PM
My mom makes these for Hannukah along with latkes...

Yummm!

captain53
08-12-2009, 05:11 PM
And here is what goes best along side that Beignet:

http://www.cajungrocer.com/cdm-dark-roast-coffee-chicory-regular-grind-p-874.html

Volt
08-12-2009, 05:41 PM
Not sure what happened - but cleaned up:

Basin Street Dough by Dickie Betar 1967

3/4 cups scalded milk
1 stick of oleo
1/2 cup sugar
2 teaspoon salt
1 egg
4 cups all purpose flour
2 yeast cakes dissolved in 1/2 cup warm water or the equivalent from a jar of yeast

add scalded milk to soft oleo and stir, add sugar and salt, beat egg and add to milk mixture, (be sure it has cooled some or will kill yeast) and yeast and flour. Place in frig over night.

Roll and cut up and fry (take out calories) and then eat and enjoy with coffee of course sprinkle powdered sugar

Volt
08-12-2009, 05:42 PM
And here is what goes best along side that Beignet:

http://www.cajungrocer.com/cdm-dark-roast-coffee-chicory-regular-grind-p-874.html

:tpd: Listen to the man, he knows coffee :)

bowhnter
08-12-2009, 06:08 PM
I have never had one, but we are planning to go to New Orleans in Oct. That's on the to do list!

captain53
08-12-2009, 06:13 PM
I have never had one, but we are planning to go to New Orleans in Oct. That's on the to do list!

When you finish that breakfast treat go right down the street to the Central Grocery and enjoy a Muffuletta and a couple of cold beers for lunch, it is the real deal

Central Grocery Co
923 Decatur Street
New Orleans, LA 70116

(504) 523-1620

bowhnter
08-12-2009, 06:30 PM
Thanks for the tip Captain, putting it on the list!

joed
08-12-2009, 06:57 PM
thanks for the info

ain't nothing better for a late night than a Beignet and a good coffee

Volt
08-12-2009, 07:00 PM

BTW, less Katrina changed things... Cafe du Monde is open 24/7..... Nothing like a big ole plate and coffee at 0300 after partying.

captain53
08-12-2009, 07:23 PM
BTW, less Katrina changed things... Cafe du Monde is open 24/7..... Nothing like a big ole plate and coffee at 0300 after partying.

Proceed with caution after dark down there, lots of stray lead.:gn

Silound
08-13-2009, 09:44 AM
Proceed with caution after dark down there, lots of stray lead.:gn

Take cabs and stay out of the red light side of Bourbon and you'll be fine.

Mugen910
08-13-2009, 09:57 AM
had my first Beignet sampler at Brenda's French Soul Food in San Fran..I guess this little hole in the wall place made the best in the area...had a taste of an Apple Beignet , Plain Beignet, and Crab Beignet :dr

Tenor CS
08-13-2009, 10:38 AM
Although I'm sure they pale in comparison to real New Orleans beignets, one of the pluses of living in Orlando is being close to Disney, and therefore the Port Orleans resort. The wife and I have been known to head out there for Sunday morning breakfast of beignets, an omelet, and coffee.

Mister Moo
08-13-2009, 12:17 PM
Oh my. Beignets.

My my my...

Something about a plate of beignets, powdered sugar all over your shirt and a cuppa at CDM on a spring morning down around New Orleans. It's just one of those things that there isn't anything else to compare it to.

Thx for the recipe.

My my my my my....

http://meekmok.com/muaddib/images/blog/beignet.jpg

Volt
08-13-2009, 12:41 PM
:dr :dr :dr

Note to first time beignet eaters.... Only eat on the exhale or you WILL suck down the powered suger into the lungs .... makes life fun when you do that :D

Oh my. Beignets.

My my my...

Something about a plate of beignets, powdered sugar all over your shirt and a cuppa at CDM on a spring morning down around New Orleans. It's just one of those things that there isn't anything else to compare it to.

Thx for the recipe.

My my my my my....

http://meekmok.com/muaddib/images/blog/beignet.jpg

Cigary
08-13-2009, 02:05 PM
When you finish that breakfast treat go right down the street to the Central Grocery and enjoy a Muffuletta and a couple of cold beers for lunch, it is the real deal

Central Grocery Co
923 Decatur Street
New Orleans, LA 70116

(504) 523-1620

Amen to this,,,go there anytime we are in New Orleans.

Best coffee and beignets anywhere.

:dr :dr :dr

Note to first time beignet eaters.... Only eat on the exhale or you WILL suck down the powered suger into the lungs .... makes life fun when you do that :D

Good advice,,,Im one of those guys who try to suck em down as fast as I can get em into my mouth,,,have actually choked on all of the powdered sugar.:dr

captain53
08-13-2009, 06:37 PM
I have enjoyed this Thread, we got the coffee selected to go with the sweet beignets, lunch picked out and later we will work on dinner. But if we get up early and sit on the edge of the Mighty MS while watching the sunrise we need something to smoke with that fine first cup of CDM (always the best cup too). Suggestions for the perfect Coffee Cigar?

Volt
08-13-2009, 07:23 PM
Dinner.... too easy

10 lbs of mudbugs each, red potatoes and corn on the cob that were cooked in the boil. Ice cold beer of your choice and a bowl of red beans and rice to wash it all down with.

Damn I miss good food :(

Rocketmann
09-23-2010, 06:19 AM

Central Grocery Co
923 Decatur Street
New Orleans, LA 70116

(504) 523-1620

Amen to the Muff at Central Grocery, it's the best I have ever eaten. I think the secret is in the Olive Salad and the Round Bread.

Rocketmann
09-23-2010, 06:22 AM
Dinner.... too easy

10 lbs of mudbugs each, red potatoes and corn on the cob that were cooked in the boil. Ice cold beer of your choice and a bowl of red beans and rice to wash it all down with.

Damn I miss good food :(

Man, you know that cold beer has to be Jax or Dixie...;)

Volt
09-23-2010, 10:20 AM
Damn, I saw this thread get resurrected... I think I know what I am making Fri night. for Sat morning.

GolfNut
09-23-2010, 10:31 AM
We were there a year or two before Katrina and of course did the duMonde thing. It was awesome! also, take seriously the tip of Central Grocer! The Muffaletta was a high point of our trip. Also recommend Acme Oysters for some outstanding Oysters and great ambiance.

Have a great trip! We want to go back so badly. Even with the street scammers. Actually had someone pull the "Nice shoes" scam. Fortunately I was prepared for this, and a coach driver going passed yelled at the guy to leave us alone. LOL We had our young son with us on that trip so we were limited on what we could do. He did get an education there! Next time will be sans kids and lots of Jazz clubs!

LasciviousXXX
09-23-2010, 10:32 AM
One of the things I truly miss about the South.... great food. I miss Cafe du Monde :(

replicant_argent
09-23-2010, 11:00 AM
I now hate you all.....:dr

Love me some beignets and chicory coffee.

Volt
09-23-2010, 11:33 AM
I now hate you all.....:dr

Love me some beignets and chicory coffee.

Well, the recipie is here and some Luzziane or CDM is just a shopping trip away...

slickster81
10-05-2010, 12:36 PM
Yat! I stayed at the Royal Sonesta for a week while in training in NOLA, so beignets and coffee every morning at CDM was my daily routine.....lunch at the Brass Monkey (cheap!), and then to Ralph and Kacoos for their oysters Rockefeller, and bread pudding with bourbon sauce for dessert.....Too many wonderful memories of meals there, along with all the fine people I met while wandering the streets after training....hello to the guys at ACME! Shuck me a dozen and pop me a Turbo Dog!

markem
10-05-2010, 01:21 PM
This is the recipe for the beignets that we traditionally have at the annual motorcycle campout. Those that arrive early enough to set up the camp (for 150+ people) get these as a reward. Your quantities may vary.

1-1/2 c warm water
1 Tbsp dry yeast
1/2 c sugar
1 tsp salt
2 large eggs
1 c undiluted canned evaporated milk
7 c flour
1/4 c vegetable shortening or butter
Confectioner's sugar

Put the warm water into a large bowl, then sprinkle in the dry yeast and
stir until thoroughly dissolved. Add the sugar, salt, eggs and evaporated
milk. Gradually stir in 4 cups of the flour and beat with a wooden spoon
until smooth and thoroughly blended. Beat in the shortening, then add
the remaining flour, about 1/3 cup at a time, beating it in with a spoon
until it becomes too stiff to stir, then working in the rest with your
fingers.

Or, if you have a Kitchenaid or satisfactory substitute, combine dry
ingredients, add wet ingredients plus melted butter or shortening,
beat till smooth.

Cover the bowl with plastic wrap, and refrigerate at least overnight.
The dough will keep in the fridge for at least a week, if you beat it
down occasionally.

It isn't necessary to put it in a hot saddlebag and take it out for
a six-hour ride in the sun so the dough rises like an alien monster
and attacks the rest of the implements and has to be peeled off
and beaten back when you hit camp, but it does get an interesting
winey flavor if you do.

Roll the dough out on a floured board to a thickness of 1/8".
Cut it into rectangles with a sharp knife. Fry in 360 degree oil,
turning once or twice, until golden brown. Drain, sprinkle HEAVILY
with confectioner's sugar, and serve hot. Or toss into a large paper
bag with confectioner's sugar, shake, and serve.