PDA

View Full Version : Bill Hohn needs to be SUSPENDED!

Darrell
08-11-2009, 11:32 AM
I’m still pissed about “Veteran” Umpire, Bill Hohn. Last night he was 1st base Umpire during the Giants first game of the series against the Los Angeles Dodgers. I was so blinded by anger from two HORRIBLE calls he made last night, I almost turned off the game.

Last night, I believe it was Freddie Sanchez was headed up the first base line after a nice hit and his front foot hit first base and Hohn called him out. Everyone was like WTF, even John Miller a Veteran sportscaster said he made a bad call. Giants Manager Bruce Bochy went out to talk to him and he refused to overturn his call. Of course.

Shortly after that Rich Aurilla was headed to first base after a hit and LA’s first basemen tried to catch the ball and it bounced out of his glove, by that time Aurilla had passed the plate and when LA’s first basemen scooped the ball and stepped on the plate, Hohn called Aurilla out. Manager Bruce Bochy went out to talk to Hohn again and was ejected from the game.

I know Umpires are there to make the calls on plays, but if you flat out make a wrong call -- suck it up and overturn it. It’s not that big of a deal, humans make mistakes. One thing I really hate about Umpires is ALL seem to be on a high horse, I can understand to a degree because the MLB has made them the “King Dick” on the field, but you don’t need to ALWAYS be an asshole. If a Manager approaches you about a play, you don’t need to yell and then eject them. If anyone should be ejected at that point, it’s the Umpire.

Bill Hohn needs to be suspended, this is not the first post on the internet *****ing about his style of officiating. I think that dead caterpillar on his upper lip is clouding his judgment and impairing his vision.

dubnick
08-11-2009, 11:36 AM
I feel your pain...

In the Phillies vs. Marlins game on Sunday, the Home Plate umpire tossed CF Shane Victorino from the game, while he WAS IN CENTER FIELD. Apparently he threw his arms up in the air following a bad Ball / Strike call at Home Plate.

First time I've ever seen anything like that :td

Darrell
08-11-2009, 11:41 AM
I feel your pain...

In the Phillies vs. Marlins game on Sunday, the Home Plate umpire tossed CF Shane Victorino from the game, while he WAS IN CENTER FIELD. Apparently he threw his arms up in the air following a bad Ball / Strike call at Home Plate.

First time I've ever seen anything like that :td

Ed Rapuano was wrong for that, but it was not smart for Shane to charge him either. He should have just walked off the field.

dubnick
08-11-2009, 11:44 AM
I agree... he should not have charged him.

And who knows what he said on the way out to the field. I'm sure it had something to do with the bad strike call on Howard the inning before

Darrell
08-11-2009, 11:47 AM

And who knows what he said on the way out to the field. I'm sure it had something to do with the bad strike call on Howard the inning before

It's a good thing Shane is a good player. As a good player can get away with a couple of ejections a year and not feel the pain - if it becomes too bad the team releases em and nobody wants them.

dubnick
08-11-2009, 12:21 PM
Very true... I believe it was his first ejection

kelmac07
08-11-2009, 12:34 PM
MLB needs to re-look at the current umpire situation around the league. Granted, these guys take a load of $hit from some of the players. But last night in the Giants game, I think Bochey said three words and he was tossed. Now, who knows what those three words were? But come on, the ejection rates are going through the roof this past few weeks. Ask for help if you blew a call...man-up!!! I believe umps do go through a grading system and it effects who gets playoff games/World Series games, etc. Let's start sending umps "down" for consistent bad calls.

yourchoice
08-11-2009, 12:36 PM
A similar thing happened to Jimmy Rollins last year in a game when I was there. Joe West absolutely blew a call at first...the throw was bounced to first and the first basemen made a nice pick. The umps typically watch the runners feet and listens for the ball to pop into the glove...the only thing I can think of is he heard the ball bounce off the dirt and he thought it was the sound of it going in the glove. Rollins was safe by more than a step (it was very very obvious).

Whatever it was I gave West hell (all in good fun, bellowing "You blew it Joe!" over and over). I was 11 rows up on the first base side and I know he could hear me. At one point he actually looked (leered) over. I settled down so as not to get tossed myself.:lv

The Poet
08-11-2009, 12:59 PM
On the one hand, I feel your pain. There are hundreds of bad calls in baseball every season, and the umps act like little tin gods. On the other hand, there are hundreds of bad calls every season, and it has been so for well over a century. It's all part of the game. You don't always like it, I don't always like it, but we all just have to suck it up.

That's baseball, baby. Just my :2.

:ss

WildBlueSooner
08-11-2009, 07:23 PM

I would have charged his ass too...what a ridiculous call.

Starscream
08-11-2009, 07:57 PM
Let's start sending umps "down" for consistent bad calls.

They already do this, don't they?

MedicCook
08-11-2009, 11:35 PM
I can't remember the last time I saw a call over turned (excluding the new HR replay) by an umpire.

dubnick
08-12-2009, 09:49 AM
I can't remember the last time I saw a call over turned (excluding the new HR replay) by an umpire.

The lack of replay, with the exception of the HR rule, is part of the game I guess. But at the same time, some of the bad calls lately, have been REALLY bad. Maybe it's time to reexamine the umpire situation, including training.

Cigargal
08-12-2009, 10:04 AM
I’m still pissed about “Veteran” Umpire, Bill Hohn. Last night he was 1st base Umpire during the Giants first game of the series against the Los Angeles Dodgers. I was so blinded by anger from two HORRIBLE calls he made last night, I almost turned off the game.

Last night, I believe it was Freddie Sanchez was headed up the first base line after a nice hit and his front foot hit first base and Hohn called him out. Everyone was like WTF, even John Miller a Veteran sportscaster said he made a bad call. Giants Manager Bruce Bochy went out to talk to him and he refused to overturn his call. Of course.

Shortly after that Rich Aurilla was headed to first base after a hit and LA’s first basemen tried to catch the ball and it bounced out of his glove, by that time Aurilla had passed the plate and when LA’s first basemen scooped the ball and stepped on the plate, Hohn called Aurilla out. Manager Bruce Bochy went out to talk to Hohn again and was ejected from the game.

I know Umpires are there to make the calls on plays, but if you flat out make a wrong call -- suck it up and overturn it. It’s not that big of a deal, humans make mistakes. One thing I really hate about Umpires is ALL seem to be on a high horse, I can understand to a degree because the MLB has made them the “King Dick” on the field, but you don’t need to ALWAYS be an asshole. If a Manager approaches you about a play, you don’t need to yell and then eject them. If anyone should be ejected at that point, it’s the Umpire.

Bill Hohn needs to be suspended, this is not the first post on the internet *****ing about his style of officiating. I think that dead caterpillar on his upper lip is clouding his judgment and impairing his vision.

I was watching that game Darrell and the calls were terrible. His performance behind the plate last night wasn't much better, but the game was a blowout. I hope the umpires association cull the bad ones.

shilala
08-12-2009, 10:39 AM
On the one hand, I feel your pain. There are hundreds of bad calls in baseball every season, and the umps act like little tin gods. On the other hand, there are hundreds of bad calls every season, and it has been so for well over a century. It's all part of the game. You don't always like it, I don't always like it, but we all just have to suck it up.

That's baseball, baby. Just my :2.

I been playing ball or coaching ball all my life.
I've had exactly one incident with an umpire, who happened to be a good friend of mine.
He ejected a kid for saying something she didn't say. Everyone on both teams and the stands agreed. When he told me I was next, I stopped the game, peeled his ass royal, and he didn't toss me. I got a standing O. :D

The refs or umps are part of any game. Bad calls are always going to happen. My philosophy has always been that a team, and myself, need to play that much better.
I have never, and will never, believe a bad call "lost the game" for anyone at any time. There's always opportunity to do better before, during and after the game so that I'm never in a position that one "bad call" is going to decide the game.

I will agree that it sucks when you're on the short end of the stick, but that's the way she goes. I never had a tantrum when we won a game because of a bad call, that's for sure. :D

St. Lou Stu
08-12-2009, 10:50 AM
Agree with most of the above with one little piece of input.

If your team has a game that is decided by a call.... well, they weren't playing hard enough.

I've seen my team lose games because of a call. Also seen them win games under the same circumstances.

It sucks at the moment the call happens, but it is a part of the game.
Until they have audio/visual computer controlled umps that is.
That would detract from the game though.
*****ing about a perfectly called game is no fun.

Starscream
08-12-2009, 10:59 AM
I been playing ball or coaching ball all my life.
I've had exactly one incident with an umpire, who happened to be a good friend of mine.
He ejected a kid for saying something she didn't say. Everyone on both teams and the stands agreed. When he told me I was next, I stopped the game, peeled his ass royal, and he didn't toss me. I got a standing O. :D

The refs or umps are part of any game. Bad calls are always going to happen. My philosophy has always been that a team, and myself, need to play that much better.
I have never, and will never, believe a bad call "lost the game" for anyone at any time. There's always opportunity to do better before, during and after the game so that I'm never in a position that one "bad call" is going to decide the game.

I will agree that it sucks when you're on the short end of the stick, but that's the way she goes. I never had a tantrum when we won a game because of a bad call, that's for sure. :D

Is he still your friend after that?:)

shilala
08-12-2009, 11:40 AM
Is he still your friend after that?:)
Yup.
And he apologized.
Then he apologized to both teams and the crowd the next time our two teams came together.

Starscream
08-12-2009, 11:49 AM
Yup.
And he apologized.
Then he apologized to both teams and the crowd the next time our two teams came together.

:tu
I'm impressed!

Darrell
08-12-2009, 12:18 PM
Let's start sending umps "down" for consistent bad calls.

Let's send Hohn to Girls 6-9 tee ball.

Darrell
08-12-2009, 02:08 PM
Gary Darling just tossed Bochy after Darling made a BS call at first base with juice head Manny.

The Poet
08-12-2009, 02:14 PM
What? What, are you cryin'? There's no cryin' in baseball! THERE'S NO CRYIN' IN BASEBALL!

Darrell
08-12-2009, 02:18 PM
What? What, are you cryin'? There's no cryin' in baseball! THERE'S NO CRYIN' IN BASEBALL!

No, not crying. I'm just tired of the constant terrible calls this series.

Tenor CS
08-12-2009, 02:30 PM
No, not crying. I'm just tired of the constant terrible calls this series.

Not terrible when you got money on it. :)

The Poet
08-12-2009, 02:35 PM
Not terrible when you got money on it. :)

What's the over/under on bad calls? :)

Tenor CS
08-12-2009, 02:42 PM
What's the over/under on bad calls? :)

I WISH my bookie would gimme a line on that. I'd take the over. Always.