PDA

View Full Version : Wireless Network Help

BeerAdvocate
08-04-2009, 06:55 PM
I just got a new Asus Netbook but it will not let me connect to the internet wirelessly. It keeps saying "limited or no connectivity". I have called Asus and downloaded new drivers. I took it to BestBuy and they changed some setting from "nod" to "hybrid" and still nothing. My wifes old piece of crap HP laptop doesnt have a problem connecting to our Netgear router, but I get nothing out of this brand new laptop.
I sure hope someone can help me.

dunng
08-04-2009, 07:02 PM
What kind of wireless router?
Posted via Mobile Device

BeerAdvocate
08-04-2009, 07:03 PM
What kind of wireless router?
Posted via Mobile Device

Netgear

theant
08-04-2009, 07:06 PM
It means that you are not getting a proper address from the router or the WEP key (authentication) was not entered correctly. I would disconnect from the wireless and reconnect it should prompt you to reauthenticate.

kgoings
08-04-2009, 07:14 PM
It means that you are not getting a proper address from the router or the WEP key (authentication) was not entered correctly. I would disconnect from the wireless and reconnect it should prompt you to reauthenticate.

I think if your authentication key was wrong, you would just get disconnected (almost 100% sure) but your right about not getting a proper address.

Go into Control Panel>Network Connections and right click the Wireless connection and select properties.

In the properties there is a box under "This connection uses the following items" in the box select Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) and click properties again.

Make sure "Obtain an IP address automatically is selected.

Another think is the make sure your using DHCP on your router, if your not and your wifes laptop has a static IP then you will need to configure your laptop with a static IP too. I am not at home else I could walk you through checking that.

theant
08-04-2009, 07:18 PM
I have seen vista or even some built in wireless programs show they connect but without the correct key the pc will not pass DHCP traffic. I battled a form of this at a clients office the other day and it drove me nuts and it turned out the key was incorrect.

BeerAdvocate
08-04-2009, 07:24 PM
I think if your authentication key was wrong, you would just get disconnected (almost 100% sure) but your right about not getting a proper address.

Go into Control Panel>Network Connections and right click the Wireless connection and select properties.

In the properties there is a box under "This connection uses the following items" in the box select Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) and click properties again.

Make sure "Obtain an IP address automatically is selected.

Another think is the make sure your using DHCP on your router, if your not and your wifes laptop has a static IP then you will need to configure your laptop with a static IP too. I am not at home else I could walk you through checking that.

"Obtain an IP address automatically is selected. And my key is correct.
How do I check and see if I am using DHCP(?) on the router?
Let me know how I can check and see if I am using a static IP.

kgoings
08-04-2009, 07:35 PM
"Obtain an IP address automatically is selected. And my key is correct.
How do I check and see if I am using DHCP(?) on the router?
Let me know how I can check and see if I am using a static IP.

First lets try Start>Run and type in cmd and hit enter

in the window that opens type "ipconfig /all" and post that here

do this on your wifes laptop and post it too...

BeerAdvocate
08-04-2009, 07:56 PM
Im unable to post the screen shots from my wifes and Is laptop. What am I looking for?
I do see that it says DHCP is enabled on both of ours.

kgoings
08-04-2009, 08:04 PM
Im unable to post the screen shots from my wifes and Is laptop. What am I looking for?
I do see that it says DHCP is enabled on both of ours.

what are the ip addresses, default gateways, dhcp server, and dns servers for both

dunng
08-04-2009, 08:06 PM
Step 1 would be to update the firmware on your router... :tu
Posted via Mobile Device

BeerAdvocate
08-04-2009, 08:11 PM
Wifes:
IP Address

Gateway and dns Server

Mine:
IP 169.254.38.120
I do not see a gateway and dns server on my cmd screen

kgoings
08-04-2009, 08:16 PM
Wifes:
IP Address

Gateway and dns Server

Mine:
IP 169.254.38.120
I do not see a gateway and dns server on my cmd screen

Okay you are not connecting to the router, are you sure you have selected the correct wireless network??

That 169.254 address means your laptop is not hitting the router, and the laptop is assigning itself an IP.

Highlight the wirless connector in your Notification Area (lower right hand of the screen) and it will say Connected to "Blah"

Then do it on your laptop, make sure your connected to your router and not your neighbors.

BeerAdvocate
08-04-2009, 08:21 PM
It tells me that my signal is Excellent so it is reading my router, I assume. But it says limited or no connectivity. It asks for my key and I enter it. Still limited or no connectivity

skullnrose
08-04-2009, 08:23 PM
I had this problem with mu asus 1000he. What I did to fix it was to go into the router settings and make sure it accepts wireless N which I beleive the asus is set to run on if not you need to change the setting of the asus itself to run on G. You can find more info on this and a better explanation by doing a search on the asus forum. http://forum.eeeuser.com/viewforum.php?id=55 or eeeuser.com. Sorry I'm not tech enough to explain it more clearly.

kgoings
08-04-2009, 08:28 PM
I had this problem with mu asus 1000he. What I did to fix it was to go into the router settings and make sure it accepts wireless G which I beleive the asus is set to run on if not you need to change the setting of the asus itself to run on G. You can find more info on this and a better explanation by doing a search on the asus forum. http://forum.eeeuser.com/viewforum.php?id=55 or eeeuser.com. Sorry I'm not tech enough to explain it more clearly.

that could verywell be the problem.

The only other thing I can suggest is to goto the router and set it to no security. See if you can connect them.

Are you running XP? Which service pack? It might not support WPA2.

skullnrose
08-04-2009, 08:52 PM
I also had this saved on my PC reguarding that problem if it helps here it is.

Asus Eee PC 1000HE Wireless N problems
Posted on May 1st, 2009 by ElectroGeek

I purchased an Eee PC 1000HE 2 months ago and have got to say it’s been a great little netbook to take on the road. I’ve been using the Eee PC on WiFi networks connecting to wireless G routers without a problem. I decided to test the Eee PC on a Netgear WNDR3300 wireless N router. Much to my surprise the Eee PC would not connect in N mode at 5 ghz. After a call to Asus I was informed I should send the Eee PC in to be repaired. Asus tech support did not have a clue what the problem was and I had already updated the BIOS, chipset and wifi card drivers without success. I was not going to take the chance of sending my Eee PC into Asus only to get it back a month later with no results.

I decided to do a bit more research and discovered that the wifi chip in the Eee PC will connect to wireless N but only at 2.4 ghz and using AES encryption. If you set your router at 5 ghz (optimum performance) the Eee PC won’t see the network at all. Unfortunately since I am using a dual band wireless router, unless I choose wireless N 2.4 ghz mode I will not be able to use the Eee PC on an N network. This would also disable wireless G mode rendering any wireless G capable devices unable to connect.

Bottom line is: If you own an Eee PC 1000HE with wireless N capability be sure to set your wifi router to wireless N 2.4 ghz mode and use AES encryption. If you need to use wireless G devices on your network at the same time as N devices then you will have to either use 2 routers (1 N and 1 G) or select a dual band router that is capable of using both N and G bands @ 2.4 ghz at the same time. The Netgear WNDR3300 will not.

BeerAdvocate
08-05-2009, 03:15 PM
I ended up just getting a new router. I went with a Linksys N and everything is working great now.

bowhnter
08-05-2009, 05:22 PM
Too late now, but on my Netgear router, I had it setup that I actually had to login in to it and input the MAC address to any device that I wanted to have access...that helps to keep the neighbors and any others out.
Just wondering if that may have een the problem

kgoings
08-05-2009, 06:36 PM
Too late now, but on my Netgear router, I had it setup that I actually had to login in to it and input the MAC address to any device that I wanted to have access...that helps to keep the neighbors and any others out.
Just wondering if that may have een the problem

I do something similar, on my network you have to configure your own IP, default, and DNS servers to get on. That way I dont have to log onto the Router each time I have a guest. In my range of IP's I allow 2 more than I have computers, so I can have two guests at the house (or 2 other PC's) and not mess with teh computer.

Plus the IP range is not the default that ships with the router, so someone couldnt just drive by and configure 192.168.1.100 and get on.