PDA

View Full Version : Draw tested cigar makers

WyoBob
08-04-2009, 04:41 PM
I've amassed a too large collection of plugged cigars over the last couple of years. (Cigars stored at 67 degrees and 65% humidity)

I've read about companies that draw test cigars and would like to compile a list of those that do.

BTW, worst offender ever---R.P. R4's. I'm saving them in case I have some nails to pound. I've run into too many Obsidian's and Artisan's lately, as well.

WyoBob

Giant & 49er Fan
08-04-2009, 04:43 PM
RP - R4 is the only TERRIBLE cigar I have smoked (from RP) since working for the company. BLAH! Might be one of the worst cigars I have ever smoked.

WyoBob
08-04-2009, 05:08 PM
RP - R4 is the only TERRIBLE cigar I have smoked (from RP) since working for the company. BLAH! Might be one of the worst cigars I have ever smoked.

Good point. The ones that burned well weren't all that good. I wasn't wild about the Fusion double maduro's, either. But, I used to like the Famous factory selects and second's. Either torps or toros.

WyoBob

Sam Leccia
08-06-2009, 07:51 AM
Almost All companies Draw test Cigars.

However, NO company draw tests EVERY cigar. It would be near impossible.

Factory Supervisors take a sample of cigars per roller. If a roller has cigars that do not pass the draw test, a larger sample of his/her cigars are then draw tested.

It is done to get a cross section of quality from each roller.

ALSO, every cigar that IS draw tested, is NEVER sold. the cap gets destroyed from the machine, so it is only a way to ensure Rollers are rolling properly.

9 out of 10 draw problems are a result of humidity issues. I understand that you stated you cigars have been well kept. Maybe double check your homographer, or use two for accuracy.

I highly doubt that all of the plugged cigars that you have encountered are a result from poor construction.

shilala
08-06-2009, 07:58 AM
CAO draw tests their stuff, saw it in their video. :)

WyoBob
08-06-2009, 07:59 AM
9 out of 10 draw problems are a result of humidity issues. I understand that you stated you cigars have been well kept. Maybe double check your homographer, or use two for accuracy.

I highly doubt that all of the plugged cigars that you have encountered are a result from poor construction.
Thanks for the info, Sam.

I have several remote temp/humidity gauges and use Heartfelt 65% beads so am certain that I'm at 65%. I have dry boxed many of my plugged cigars and it makes no difference (and I live in a very dry climate). I've tried wrapping the cigar with a wet tissue to expand the wrapper and that didn't work, either. Even drilling a hole with a long drill bit will not salvage the cigars I have in my "plugged box". Many of the plugged cigars have been stored at 65% for over a year.

WyoBob

Buena Fortuna
08-06-2009, 08:34 AM
Almost All companies Draw test Cigars.

However, NO company draw tests EVERY cigar. It would be near impossible.

Factory Supervisors take a sample of cigars per roller. If a roller has cigars that do not pass the draw test, a larger sample of his/her cigars are then draw tested.

It is done to get a cross section of quality from each roller.

ALSO, every cigar that IS draw tested, is NEVER sold. the cap gets destroyed from the machine, so it is only a way to ensure Rollers are rolling properly.

Interesting...never heard that statistic before:confused:

Tabacalera de Garcia switched to making cigars by hand, it worried about draw problems. In 1984, the company began draw-testing its cigars, sticking the bunch in a suction machine to ensure that enough air could get through before the wrapper was applied.

"The first week we implemented the system, we rejected 35 percent of our production," says Seijas. "Now, we reject 2 to 3 percent." Cigar Aficionado - José Seijas May/June 2001

Patel also cut back on production. Cigar rollers in Central America are notoriously fast, some capable of making 400 or even 500 in a day. That seldom leaves room for superior craftsmanship.

"We slowed down the number of cigars they could make," he says, saying the new daily limit is 250. Before, they were "booked", simply put on top of one another. "Booking" is faster but creates a cigar prone to draw problems if packed too tightly with tobacco. To combat draw problems resulting from booking, cigar makers now limit the tobacco in each cigar. Cigar Aficionado - Rocky ll - Jan/Feb 2005

I spoke to Christian Eroia from Camacho and asked him why his cigars draw so well and so consistent and he said that every Camacho cigar is draw tested to make sure it meets standards before it can be sold. He stated that some manufacturers only batch test to save time, but it also affects draw consistency.

I'm sure that humidity exacerbates construction problems but is not the sole cause of draw issues 9 out of 10 times... From an educational standpoint, can you help me and others here in the Asylum understand a little better how you use proper humidity to overcome inconsistent/bad construction? Is it the brands you buy? Do you stay away from certain brands/sizes?

Sam Leccia
08-06-2009, 09:05 AM
Hey, Buena, appreciate the questions. below is my reply:

You cannot "overcome" bad construction with proper humidity.

I can't begin to tell you how many cigars I smoke a day, week, month. And I can't tell you the last time I had a plugged one. I'm serious.

The "9 out of 10" was not a stat but rather a generalization. Too often construction is to blame when in reality it is humidity. Whether the place of purchase or the end user. whether too wet, or too dry, or a drastic quick change in RH.

Draw testing cannot be done without destroying the cap. There is no way Camacho draw tests every cigar. No one does. There are over 100 rollers in a factory and usually only 2 - 3 draw testers. They could never keep up. Plus all of the cigars would have to go back to the rolling table to replace the cap. It just doesn't happen. Believe what you want, but i don't buy it. There is no need to. Plus, I have been to his factory, and last I was there, he had one draw test machine...again, I don't believe, there is a need to draw test every cigar anyway.

I have not heard of draw testing prior to the wrapper being applied. That almost defeats the purpose of draw testing, as a very snug wrapper could be the culprit. I also doubt that this is a common practice however, maybe there are advances in draw testing that I am unaware of.

I appreciate your follow-up questions and research my friend. If you have anything else, fire away, I'd be more than happy to answer anything you may have.

And to answer you last question, I only smoke Nub, and Cain :)

Buena Fortuna
08-06-2009, 09:30 AM
Hey, Buena, appreciate the questions. below is my reply:

You cannot "overcome" bad construction with proper humidity.

I can't begin to tell you how many cigars I smoke a day, week, month. And I can't tell you the last time I had a plugged one. I'm serious.

The "9 out of 10" was not a stat but rather a generalization. Too often construction is to blame when in reality it is humidity. Whether the place of purchase or the end user. whether too wet, or too dry, or a drastic quick change in RH.

Draw testing cannot be done without destroying the cap. There is no way Camacho draw tests every cigar. No one does. There are over 100 rollers in a factory and usually only 2 - 3 draw testers. They could never keep up. Plus all of the cigars would have to go back to the rolling table to replace the cap. It just doesn't happen. Believe what you want, but i don't buy it. There is no need to. Plus, I have been to his factory, and last I was there, he had one draw test machine...again, I don't believe, there is a need to draw test every cigar anyway.

I have not heard of draw testing prior to the wrapper being applied. That almost defeats the purpose of draw testing, as a very snug wrapper could be the culprit. I also doubt that this is a common practice however, maybe there are advances in draw testing that I am unaware of.

I appreciate your follow-up questions and research my friend. If you have anything else, fire away, I'd be more than happy to answer anything you may have.

And to answer you last question, I only smoke Nub, and Cain :)

I thought the same, but as it was explained to me by Christian, there are different types of draw testing processes and machines, some are capable of draw testing entire batches without damaging the cigar in any way, thus making it possible to test entire production runs.

He may have been blowing smoke (pun intended) but there was no benefit for him to do so as I am just a regular Joe cigar guy.

You need to expand your brands to experience more of the joys of plugged cigars;)

shilala
08-06-2009, 10:18 AM
I thought the same, but as it was explained to me by Christian, there are different types of draw testing processes and machines, some are capable of draw testing entire batches without damaging the cigar in any way, thus making it possible to test entire production runs.

He may have been blowing smoke (pun intended) but there was no benefit for him to do so as I am just a regular Joe cigar guy.

You need to expand your brands to experience more of the joys of plugged cigars;)
There's no mechanical reason a batch of cigars, or any cigar, can't be draw tested before they're capped.
Watch a cigar being rolled and you'll see why.
Like Sam says, it's hard to believe that most manufacturers would not waste the time, energy, or resources to draw test every cigar.
Where there's money, there's time.
It costs more money to make a perfect cigar than a box of 30% plugged cigars, like cc's. In many instances, there's no incentive for torcedors in cuba to make a well made cigar.

Then take Graycliff and Padron and Fuente.
They bust their ass to turn out a superior product and value thier skilled workers. They can because the money's there to do it. But the money is there because of their values, not because they pumped out junk to make dollars happen.
You can't spend two dollars to make a one dollar cigar, but you can sure spend two dollars to make a 10 dollar cigar. :)

My two cents, and it's only my opinion, so take it for what it's worth...
Some people make cigars out of tradition, pride, and love. The money is the last consideration. If you've ever learned anything of the Fuente family, you'll know what I mean.
Some just make them to make money and do the very least they can do to maximize profits.
I'm not saying that's bad, but it definately shows in the product.

csbrewfisher
08-06-2009, 10:43 AM
Although I can't speak specifically to methods of draw testing, I'd like to know what Perdomo does. I've never had a plugged Perdomo. Am I just lucky? I don't know, I've probably smoked about 50 of them, different blends and vitolas.

shilala
08-06-2009, 10:51 AM
Although I can't speak specifically to methods of draw testing, I'd like to know what Perdomo does. I've never had a plugged Perdomo. Am I just lucky? I don't know, I've probably smoked about 50 of them, different blends and vitolas.
I don't think I've ever had a plugged nc, but 20 or 30% of my cc's are like nails. I generally smoke cheap cc's, so that's part of the problem, I'm sure.
NC's are a whole different market with different standards to adhere to in order to be equitable. CC's sell cause they're cc's. nc's gotta be good or the maker won't be around long.
Hell is, there's always the "newb" niche that can be exploited. I could crank out poopsticks all day long and send them to Thompson's or CI and sell them. Rocky knows that. If a batch comes in that's junk, they'll move even if he has to take a hit. Then he just makes an adjustment as to where and how his cigars are made and he's back in good shape.
Make a new label, stick it on a shitty cigar, and someone's gonna smoke it. :tu