PDA

View Full Version : Box, Bundle, Fiver or Single?

Skywalker
10-21-2008, 03:52 PM
Which do you prefer when buy cigars?

Box, Bundle, Fivers or Singles?

Whee
10-21-2008, 03:58 PM
I probably buy more 5vers than anything, thanks to the devil site.

petewho
10-21-2008, 03:59 PM
I say depends on the price. With increase in price comes a decrease in the number I can buy at one time.

Right now I do singles of new stuff, fivers of ones I like, and I've only bought one bundle which was to share. I've yet to take the box plunge.

My next purchase is a cooler, so then the boxes will start.

I am officially done with samplers, I think...

ChicagoWhiteSox
10-21-2008, 03:59 PM
ill buy a box over a bundle, but i have to know that i like the cigar and that i wont be disappointed with it. I buy fivers and samplers of stuff i havent had. Ill pick up some singles at the B&M but same thing as the fivers and samplers, to try new stuff. Only get boxes of the stuff i like.:ss

nozero
10-21-2008, 04:03 PM
ill buy a box over a bundle, but i have to know that i like the cigar and that i wont be disappointed with it. I buy fivers and samplers of stuff i havent had. Ill pick up some singles at the B&M but same thing as the fivers and samplers, to try new stuff. Only get boxes of the stuff i like.:ss

I totally agree.

Scottw
10-21-2008, 04:05 PM
If I never had the stick before or are replacing some of my stock, a fiver is great because even if I don't like the stick the first time, I'll try it again and if I still don't love it, I will give it to someone who does or who wants to try. If I find something I LOVE (ie: Rocky Patel Decade) I will but boxes. I bought two boxes of them in the last few months. Never bought a bundle.

BlackDog
10-21-2008, 04:07 PM
I've been buying samplers and fivers, but am ready to buy some boxes now.

WyGuy
10-21-2008, 04:14 PM
For the most part all I buy are fivers, though if it's a pretty expensive cigar two or three normally suffice.

shemp
10-21-2008, 04:16 PM
because i'm a cheep bastage, i usually find a name brand smoke that i like at a B&M and then find a bundle that tastes like it, i am usually pretty satisfied.

jaymz
10-21-2008, 04:18 PM
generally my purchases fall into two categories these days
1) bundles from JoeCigar/CigarMonster/etc
2) Box splits

zmancbr
10-21-2008, 04:32 PM
When I first started it was 5ers all the way... but moving into the darkness has spurred me to start with the box hunt... I like to try singles to make sure I will like that stick and then I dive into getting a box(es). :D

Dino1450
10-21-2008, 04:37 PM
If I never had the stick before or are replacing some of my stock, a fiver is great

gotta agree :tu

poriggity
10-21-2008, 04:43 PM
Alot of 5 or 10 at a time.. If its a cheap on I like, then boxes...
Scott

boonedoggle
10-21-2008, 04:46 PM
If I love it, I'm gonna hit a box!:D

Spect
10-21-2008, 04:59 PM
If I love it, I'm gonna hit a box!:D

:tpd: Gotta go for the box

BlackIrish
10-21-2008, 05:01 PM
Start with a fiver if I haven't tried it before. If I like it enough, a box goes in the cooler.

chippewastud79
10-21-2008, 05:03 PM
All of the above.

I always find myself going through phases. At first it was 5'ers, then boxes, then singles, now back to boxes with the occasional singles mixed in. :tu

brigey57
10-21-2008, 05:11 PM
I said fiver but it really would depend on the cigar(s) and the number that I have in my coolador at the time. If the deal is good I would select any and all of those depending on the cigar. :hm

elderboy02
10-21-2008, 06:03 PM
Mostly 5'ers.

Ashcan Bill
10-21-2008, 06:32 PM
Boxes/cabs stack the best. :tu

Martin
10-21-2008, 06:34 PM
I usually buy 3's, thats how many boxes fit in one box :ss

REALMCCOY
10-21-2008, 06:34 PM
I buy singles for now when I see something that I like or would like to try. Still testing the water. I'll buy a couple boxes come tax return time when I am really sure what suits my taste. I also really enjoy trying new cigars all the time if they share similar profiles of my preferences.

Starchild
10-21-2008, 06:41 PM
I started with a few fivers and some samplers. Lately it's been a couple of singles and fivers here and there, trying to narrow down what I want to stock my humi with. I'm on the hunt for aforadable tasty smokes that I can justify a box purchase. If the 5'er price is comparable to to the box price, or if the box is too expensive, I'll stick with the fivers.

I started off heavy on the devil site, but lately it's too much trouble to get a good deal and I just order from CI with free shipping :tu

ucla695
10-21-2008, 06:49 PM
I like to sample singles when buying cigars I've never tried before. If I like them, I'll pull the trigger on a 5er for stuff that I want to smoke sooner or a box for sticks that I want to lay down for a while.

av8tor152d
10-21-2008, 06:51 PM
I almost always go for a box too afraid that if I like them I won't have anymore. And if I do like what ever it is I buy I want to be able to share :)

Beer Doctor
10-21-2008, 06:53 PM
Lately I've been buying 5ers to try. If I really like the first 3 of my 5er I'll put it on my box wish list. Sometimes it goes slower (i.e. Buy single and like it then buy 5er then buy box). I prefer to have a box if I like it. Although I just filled up my cooler so not much room left:hn

dunng
10-21-2008, 06:59 PM
5er is good to get going and then I hit the boxes... :ss

acruce
10-21-2008, 09:04 PM
Depends if I am purchasing something I know I like I go with a box. If I am trying something new I go 5ver

cigarmonkel
10-22-2008, 12:51 AM
I used to buy a lot of samplers, singles and 5ers. But now that i am a lot more picky then i used to be i'm buying a lot more boxes... :hn

Mystophales
10-22-2008, 01:47 AM
Well since doing a header down the dark side it's boxes all the way....to the detriment of my bank account. Thank god for overtime....:D

livwire68
10-22-2008, 02:07 AM
Box or bundle if online, at the B&M singles.

ScottishSmoker
10-22-2008, 03:50 AM
I buy almost everything in Singles, mainly because the B&M I go to the most often stashes a few of my favorite boxes away knowing that I will kill the box single handedly...
Last Month
1) Illusione ~4/2g~
2) Cubao #1
3) Tatuaje Reserva SW
Scary enough, this month is looking exactly the same thus far, with one addition...I did buy a box...I found a box of Padron Natural Ambassadors sitting on the upper shelf in the old 25 count box configuration...the cellos are YELLOW!!! AND DAMNED TASTY! (the cigars, not the cellos)

icantbejon
10-22-2008, 03:55 AM
Like most, I assume anyway, I started with samplers to find out what I like. I still buy samplers, but they are getting fewer and further between. I've started leaning toward boxes, because buying singles gets pricey. Once I'm home again, I'm sure that will change. It's easier to nickel and dime my collection together without drawing the wrath of my wif.

rsamos
10-22-2008, 04:22 AM
I've bought a couple boxes, but I still get most my stock through fivers.

troutbreath
10-22-2008, 04:38 AM
Start with a fiver, due to the value proposition over a single. But if it's good, I'll pick up a box -- even more value, plus a cool box.

silentjon
10-22-2008, 04:44 AM
If I am trying something new, I usually buy a fiver. Also I have no more room for boxes.

gnukfu
10-22-2008, 09:33 AM
I'm a box man ...having said that my next two purchases are a fiver and a three-er.

tsolomon
10-22-2008, 10:11 AM
Fivers first, then some boxes, and now several singles before buying more. I first started buying fivers and sometimes I liked them and sometimes I didn't. Then I started buying boxes usually after smoking a cigar that someone had gifted to me. I had a coolerdor and had to fill it, but then my tastes would change and I still had half a box left. I now try to get singles at the B&M and to smoke at least 2-3 before buying more of them. I really like boxes because they protect the cigars, singles and fivers are just loose in the humidors.

kayaker
10-22-2008, 10:19 AM
I'm still learning what I like, so 5ers offer up enough sticks of one type to give them an honest try, and maybe even have a stick or two left to trade or share.

However, once I find some that I really like, a box purchase would be the next step.

cigars_n_scotch
10-22-2008, 10:22 AM
I say depends on the price. With increase in price comes a decrease in the number I can buy at one time.

Right now I do singles of new stuff, fivers of ones I like, and I've only bought one bundle which was to share. I've yet to take the box plunge.

My next purchase is a cooler, so then the boxes will start.

I am officially done with samplers, I think...

Pete took the words right out of my mouth. I am the same way. I'm on the lookout now for a vino, but with the 28 bottle model being discontinued it's going to be hard. I checked a local target and they didn't even have Vino, they had Haier and something else.

Boobar
10-22-2008, 10:24 AM
I used to 5-packs but I tended to get to many cigars that I would try and not like and then have 3-4 left over. Lately I have been buying singles to try and then if I like them I buy 5-packs. I don't really buy any boxes because I don't have enough room to store them.

I know, I know, coolerdor. :D

Clampdown
10-22-2008, 10:25 AM
I tend to over research my buys and will go weeks reading reviews, talking with people who have smoked such and such ciger. Ill spend the week putting the box in my cart, taking it out, in etc. I have been very lucky, thanks to the internet you can pretty much get reviews on anything.

blckthree
10-22-2008, 10:54 AM
Fiver's to give something a try. If it is something I really like, I'll buy a box. However, since I have only two humi's and no Vino, I have to limit box purchases.

Mike :ss

Lucky_Hippo
10-22-2008, 10:57 AM
I prefer boxes, but have latley ended up with bundles for the cost difference.

rizzle
10-22-2008, 10:57 AM
I'd have to say a fiver to try them and if I like them enough my next purchase of that cigar will be a box.

Skywalker
10-22-2008, 12:51 PM
So far I am really surprised by this poll!!!

I really expected boxes to win out but it looks like more of you like fivers (30%)!!!

massphatness
10-22-2008, 12:54 PM
If you're buying, D, make mine a box.

MithShrike
10-22-2008, 12:57 PM
I like boxes.

Skywalker
10-22-2008, 01:15 PM
If you're buying, D, make mine a box.

Ha ha ha!!!:r

If I were a surgeon I would make yours a box!!!:r

AriesOpusX
10-22-2008, 02:45 PM
If I smoke something frequently and I like it, buying by the box is best. For new cigars singles. Hardly ever purchase any 5 packs.

doctorcue
10-22-2008, 05:57 PM
Like many things in life... I desire the box. ;)

hotreds
10-22-2008, 06:03 PM
Fivers unless I REALLY wanna spend big bucks on a box and I know I love the stogie. Usually one cigar is not enough to form a valid opinion- unless it's really horrible. Actually, I'll buy the fiver, keep three to try, and send two to the troops or put them in my "to bomb" humi.

DMK
10-22-2008, 06:41 PM
I didn't know how to vote 'cuz I buy boxes of CC's and usually 5ers of NC's.
After I tried and like the NC's then I will buy a box.:hm

G G
10-22-2008, 07:33 PM
Fivers followed by singles for me. I have rarely bought a box, due to the cost of most boxes that I like. I like to buy a lot of different smokes, so I can have a varied stash.:2

CHRONO14
10-22-2008, 08:35 PM
I'll normally buy 1-3 at the B&M to try a new stick and if I like it I get a box. However, I do have a crap load of singles from purchases of samplers on cs that I'm working through. I don't think I've smoked more than one of any stick (except the la riquezas:dr) in the last few months because of trying new stuff.

bobarian
10-22-2008, 08:41 PM
There is no option for all of the above! I'm not picky as long as the box has a little green sticker on the outside!:r:r:r

Totemic
10-23-2008, 10:51 AM
Oh wait. I thought this was a shopping list not a multiple choice...

Seriously, I buy all of them depending on the situation:

Singles - For those really expensive cigars that I want to try out (or those that interest me when I'm window shopping at my B&M).
5 packs - The ones I want to try that doesn't fit into the single category.
Boxes - For those that I like and come in boxes.
Bundles - For those that I like and come in bundles.

I figure there's a reason why my humidor is designed to hold both boxes and loose cigars. Far be it of me to go against the design of the humidor maker. :D

Wolfgang
10-23-2008, 10:53 AM
Unfortunatly i am a collage student and i only get to spend around 40 bucks every month on cigars. I guess you can say i have champagne taste with a beer budget! Oh i do love my RP Decades though :dr

Totemic
10-23-2008, 11:16 AM
If you like the Decade and are on a tight budget, I would suggest you head over the CI and check out the RP X-Out Liga 'D'. They are the decade "seconds". Meaning pretty much the same taste but supposedly a cosmetic defect kept them from being banded.

Personally, I can't tell any difference between the X-Outs and the banded ones. And I'm pretty sure with my glasses on, my vision is 20/20.

Edit: Bugger, they are backordered. My bad.