PDA

View Full Version : Love of small cigars

gvarsity
10-21-2008, 03:34 PM
When I first started smoking cigars I loved the big Churchills. My first favorite cigar was the Hoyo De Monterrey Excalibur #1 natural. That was my go to for quite awhile. Then over time I started moving toward rothschilds and robustos and there I stayed for many years.

IMHO the US market moves toward larger and larger both length and RG cigars. It weird that my 50-52 ring gauge robustos now seem skinny in the world of 60+ rg smokes. About a year ago I had a Perdomo Cuban Parejo Rosado that was a 60 rg and I was almost embarrassed to smoke it in public.

Oddly enough in this time of cigar expansion I have started dabbling in coronas and petite coronas and have found real joy in the shorter smaller ring gauge smokes. What sparked this post was I picked up some Fire by Indian Tabac Maduro mini coronas on C-Bid. They came in today and I decided to take a break at work and went for a walk. Lying on my desk next some robustos they looked tiny. Uncelloed in my hand it looked quite respectable and well... cigarlike. For 22 minutes I enjoyed a rich full cigar, did not feel rushed, did not waste and had the whole cigar experience. It was quite tasty and a pleasant diversion for the work at hand.

Small cigars are a little trickier to smoke in some ways. Particularly that you cant just puff through them without turning them into a firecracker. Still if you are willing to be attentive you get as much or more flavor, smoke and experience without the commitment. One of my favorites was a ERDM petite corona from 91' that was given to me as a gift. Sweet and tasty and lasted around 20 minutes carefully sipping. The fire was more robust and needed less attention than the ERDM but the experience of the SIZE was not dis-similar.

I will always have a place for the 1-2 hour smokes for those occasions I have 1-2 hours to smoke. Those occasions are pretty rare and for me right now and the small cigar is a treat for it's own merits as well as the time benefit.

Any other folks love a small cigar?

Skywalker
10-21-2008, 03:39 PM
My preference has changed as well!

I am enjoying smaller and thinner cigars more and more!!!

The flavor and complexity is what I enjoy without having to smoke for two hours!!!

jjirons69
10-21-2008, 03:42 PM
I like them for the weeknight quickies. Still like the big smokes for outings, when time permits.

gvarsity
10-21-2008, 03:45 PM
I have been experimenting with the lanceros as well which is interesting also. Still you run into the time issue. I remember someone talking about cutting a fundadore in half and I about cried. I'm not that desperate for shorter time but small rg is good and short length is also good. Who knew?

NCRadioMan
10-21-2008, 03:54 PM
I find it interesting that that cubans are making more and more larger rg cigars and nc's are coming out with more and more samller rg cigars like lanceros.

petewho
10-21-2008, 04:01 PM
I find it interesting that that cubans are making more and more larger rg cigars and nc's are coming out with more and more samller rg cigars like lanceros.

The average Cuban mouth is expanding :hm

shemp
10-21-2008, 04:19 PM
i started out with the big guages and a good brother, SMOKINAPE, turned me on to some petite corona, that were delicious, now i try em big and small.

BlackDog
10-21-2008, 04:20 PM
I'm trying to balance my cigar selection between large and small cigars. My collection seems weighted towards larger vitolas, so I'm trying to add more smaller selections.

Pipe&Cigar
10-21-2008, 04:20 PM
The average Cuban mouth is expanding :hm

LOL.. I find it hard to believe that the average NC mouth is getting smaller in that case.

I was at my local B&M and was amazed at all the new Laceros available!

Costa
10-21-2008, 04:24 PM
I like them for the weeknight quickies. Still like the big smokes for outings, when time permits.

:tpd:

Spect
10-21-2008, 05:12 PM
I never rush a cigar, if I don't have the time to dedicate I don't do it. That said I really am liking my smaller cigars. PC's and Lanceros are awesome. :ss

Starchild
10-21-2008, 06:56 PM

Same here :tpd: I really like PC's and robustos, but my favorite are the small perfectos :ss

Can we get one of those smileys with a smaller cigar please ^ :D

Mystophales
10-21-2008, 09:22 PM
I am with ya brother...every box I have purchased over the last year has been in the corona sized group...46 to as low as 38 RG and am loving it. I just find I get to the "sweet spot" earlier and have it for a longer time. I actually have to force myself to smoke anything larger.

cigarmonkel
10-22-2008, 12:38 AM
My preference has changed as well!

I am enjoying smaller and thinner cigars more and more!!!

The flavor and complexity is what I enjoy without having to smoke for two hours!!!
:tpd::tpd::tpd:

livwire68
10-22-2008, 02:24 AM
I have been smoking more lanceros and shorter smokes. But also smoking more than one. :hm

dmoby
10-22-2008, 03:25 AM
Anything over a 49 rg is a waste.

Sancho
10-22-2008, 07:43 AM
I tend to agree, most of what I smoke regularly is in the mareva, lancero, corona, PC category. I do enjoy a robusto from time to time but my heart lies with the thinner ring gauge sticks. In the end its all about variety for me, there a times Im in the mood for a churchill as well, even if those times are few and far between.

Benwoo
10-22-2008, 07:52 AM
To be considerate of the GF I've started adding smaller stix to the Vino. Haven't had the chance to run through anything smaller then a robusto as of yet. I did have a Lancero a couple weeks back and that was pleasant. I still tend to gravitate towards the larger (length wise with a moderate RG), but I'm givin the little guys a chance!

Beer Doctor
10-22-2008, 08:02 AM
In the past two years I've been slowly gravitating towards smaller cigars. 50 rg and below are where the majority of my sticks are.

Cigarmark
10-22-2008, 09:00 AM
I too have gravitated to smaller cigars, coronas. pc and even some of the handmade mini's. The LFD Canajos are awesome. Before turning to the dark side, I loved the 50+ rg. Now I tend to get bored with the 2 hour cigar. A good pc or conona can give me a pleasureable hour of smoking. I still enjoy a robusto or toro, but much bigger than that and I tend to put it down early unless its an awesome smoke. I have not really got into lanceros much. They are awkward feeling to me.

Starscream
10-22-2008, 09:01 AM
I remember someone talking about cutting a fundadore in half and I about cried. I'm not that desperate for shorter time but small rg is good and short length is also good. Who knew?

I didn't mean to make you cry. Sorry about that:D

Scimmia
10-22-2008, 09:08 AM
One of my favorites was a ERDM petite corona from 91' that was given to me as a gift. Sweet and tasty and lasted around 20 minutes carefully sipping.

Wow, 20 min for a PC? You really smoked the crap outta that thing.

skyhigh340
10-22-2008, 09:11 AM
The Cohiba black pequenoes are getting to be my regular cigars. When I'm in my local B&M I still like the bigger rg sticks but the pequenoes are becoming my regular smoke. They are like CRACK to me.:tu

Boobar
10-22-2008, 10:29 AM
When I first started I smoked robusto size stogies. I switched from that to corona's and petite coronas. Now I find myself going mostly for a 46 to 50 RG cigar. I mostly keep in my humi corona gordas, robustos and toros in the 46 to 50 RG range.

Lucky_Hippo
10-22-2008, 11:09 AM
As soon as I get my humi filled with "perfect sized/profie" cigars I end up looking for "change of pace" smokes and it starts all over again.:confused:

As the weather gets colder, I find myself reaching for smaller sticks though.

Joan
10-22-2008, 11:30 AM
Very interesting idea...

Used to be only the small ones in public for me. Exquisito, pequenos, corona, 45 rg was my absolute limit! Of course in private it was all robusto all the time...

Now it depends on what I'm wanting to experience at the moment and the time to enjoy it.

I have absolutely no qualms over pulling out and thoroughly enjoying in front of anyone a tiny pencil thin work of art OR a 64+ monster.

But I must say, taking a larger rg stick into my mouth gets my attention more. Just because of the size, I mean. Parting my lips for a corona is like getting ready to pop some peanut M&M's. No special effort required. But the luscious big ones, uh... the phrase "relax and open wide" comes to mind. And I find myself actually salivating in antici

pation.

Yeah. Like that. :dr

jquirit
10-22-2008, 12:15 PM
Hahahahahaa... gotta love Joan. She loves them nubs! :D

AriesOpusX
10-22-2008, 02:56 PM
I try to mix it up although I seem to always fall back to robustos.

Skywalker
10-22-2008, 03:02 PM
Very interesting idea...

Used to be only the small ones in public for me. Exquisito, pequenos, corona, 45 rg was my absolute limit! Of course in private it was all robusto all the time...

Now it depends on what I'm wanting to experience at the moment and the time to enjoy it.

I have absolutely no qualms over pulling out and thoroughly enjoying in front of anyone a tiny pencil thin work of art OR a 64+ monster.

But I must say, taking a larger rg stick into my mouth gets my attention more. Just because of the size, I mean. Parting my lips for a corona is like getting ready to pop some peanut M&M's. No special effort required. But the luscious big ones, uh... the phrase "relax and open wide" comes to mind. And I find myself actually salivating in anticipation.

You made me blush!!!:o

Joan
10-22-2008, 03:12 PM
You made me blush!!!:o

Shhhh! Get a grip on yourself, SweetBD! :ss

hdroadglide
10-22-2008, 04:18 PM
the little la riqueza or a nice tatualje noella are tops of the short list for me.

troutbreath
10-22-2008, 05:50 PM
Just finished a Tat Unicos. Wish it had been a Noella, because it was COLD outside.

WyGuy
10-22-2008, 06:53 PM
I tend to smoke a lot of the smaller cigars during the winter months, since I don't find smoking a cigar in the extreme cold to enjoyable. Though the smaller cigars have been growing on me, since I don't seem to have as much time to smoke anymore.

gvarsity
10-24-2008, 09:00 PM
I didn't mean to make you cry. Sorry about that:D

Was that you. :D The fundadore is such a treat. I didn't actually cry but I may have misted up a bit.

One of my favorites was a ERDM petite corona from 91' that was given to me as a gift. Sweet and tasty and lasted around 20 minutes carefully sipping.

It took some doing. I had been advised to sip very slowly and carefully on that one to fully appreciate it and I did. Really at that one small puff a minute type pace.

You are cruel :) but yeah that is why I felt self conscious smoking a 60rg in public.

I really do believe that there is a time for every cigar and a cigar for any time. Fortunately (or unfortunately depending on your taste), for me lately the cigar for the time is usually a smaller smoke.

Jimbo14
02-20-2010, 01:36 AM
I really prefer smaller cigars. I find that the flavour profile is much nicer and alot more consistant.

My favorite cigar is probably the CAO MX2 Dagger at the moment. Im also a big fan of the Partagas Short and the La Gloria Cubana Minutos Maduro (NC).

I would highly recommend maduro lovers to try a CAO MX2 Dagger - that taste alot stronger than the rest of the MX2 line.

Ferrari5180
02-20-2010, 05:36 AM
I never really got into smaller guage cigars, as I usually stick between 50-54, but I am intrigued to do so. A friend of mine smokes some small punch cigars and tells me they are good. Maybe I might have to give them a try.

Razorhog
02-20-2010, 07:44 AM
I never really got into smaller guage cigars, as I usually stick between 50-54, but I am intrigued to do so. A friend of mine smokes some small punch cigars and tells me they are good. Maybe I might have to give them a try.
I've got a Punch London Club resting that I'm looking forward to burning.

JJG
02-20-2010, 02:57 PM
Most of my cigars are 45 and lower these days, but when I first started smoking, everything was 50+

Making the switch from NCs to Cubans was the revelation for me. Now I would say that 42 looks just about average.

hotreds
02-20-2010, 03:59 PM
In fact, time is the consideration in my moving from large to medium/small sizes. I still smoke bigger cigars at herfs, but my daily cigar is a robusto or corona/lonsdale size. I spend about 1 hour watching 2 1/2 hour TV shows I taped, and find myself puffing too quickly when I light up a large cigar during that time period. A robusto/lonsdale/corona size is just right for a slow, leisurely smoke that will last me about one hour.

Noomis
02-20-2010, 04:26 PM
I'm normally a pretty slow and deliberate smoker––e.g., about 1 hr. 45 min. average length for me for coronas, corona gordas, and robustos––so when I go to my smaller smokes it isn't to smoke something when I don't have the time––it already takes me about 45 - 50 min. to smoke a Padrón Corticos, which, as you know, is quite a small cigar. I make sure to allot enough time to smoke the kind of smoke I want that day––sometimes it's a double corona, sometimes it's a toro, sometimes it's a corona, and sometimes it's a demi corona. I don't always feel like sitting down and having a smoke for three hours, so I like having a variety of good quality sticks in as many vitolas as possible (not to mention the fact that the size and shape can have a great influence on the way the stick tastes). Having said all that, I rarely smoke anything with a +54 ring gauge––they're just not comfortable to smoke and hold.

RevSmoke
02-20-2010, 08:18 PM
I have 60 RG sticks in my humidor because I enjoy the Oliva Double Toro and the Taboo HSG Toro Grande - rich, velvety, smoke.

Of course, just got some more Cabaiguan Petites, at 32RG, a rather small stick.

It all depends on what I want to smoke at the time that will drive my choice for what size stick to grab. Sometimes it might be driven by time element.

I must admit though, there is something about just sitting back with a couple friends and enjoying a long smoke and a couple pints.

Peace of the Lord be with you.

Col. Kurtz
02-20-2010, 08:24 PM
Most of my cigars are 45 and lower these days, but when I first started smoking, everything was 50+

Making the switch from NCs to Cubans was the revelation for me. Now I would say that 42 looks just about average.

:tpd:

And yet HSA is going towards the jawbreakers....:rolleyes:

njstone
02-20-2010, 08:25 PM
I agree with you guys in both ring and length. I started out "the bigger, the better!" but now I'm leaning towards thinner rings (love lanceros and coronas) due to the higher wrapper content in the smoke. I'm also tending toward shorter smokes (in terms of smoking time) because with babies in the house, I often just don't have a large chunk of time to commit to a big cigar. Sometimes I do need a nice big sucker, though.

This reminds me ... I need to get some more Petite Tatuajes, those puppies are good!

njstone
02-20-2010, 08:28 PM
It all depends on what I want to smoke at the time that will drive my choice for what size stick to grab. Sometimes it might be driven by time element.

I must admit though, there is something about just sitting back with a couple friends and enjoying a long smoke and a couple pints.

Peace of the Lord be with you.

Right there with ya, brother! Except for the pints, not much of a beer guy. But I love lighting up a cigar with friends and sharing life ... passing the Peace Pipe as it were. I think that's why God created tobacco.

rhmalone
03-06-2010, 07:13 PM
I'm taking the smaller RG plunge tonight, lighting up a CAO Mx2 Dagger. I generally gravitate toward either a toro or robusto but don't really have anything against lager or smaller sizes for that matter.

I'm anticipating a great smoking experience... after all it is a CAO.

systm
03-06-2010, 08:24 PM
I love the smaller ring gauges, Robustos and lanceros seem to be my favorite sizes, for time and flavor. Petite Robustos are a close second but its not a widely made size, as far as i can see.

I thought all cigar sizes were rolled to have the same body and flavor?

CigarNut
03-06-2010, 09:15 PM
I have been smoking some smaller ring gauges lately and have noticed that I need to smoke them a little differently. Smaller, less forceful puffs otherwise they overheat.

Once I learned this I started enjoying the smaller RG's more.

Mpython24
03-06-2010, 09:48 PM
i'm with you man. Gimme somethin about the size of a permanent marker and i am happy.

pitbulljimmy
03-07-2010, 07:33 AM
I've said right from the beginning that I prefer my sticks in the 42- 50 RG size and not much bigger at all. I still think the Corona is the perfect cigar size. Ideal balance of wrapper to filler/binder. It amazes me that Habanos S.A. is gravitating to these giant RG cigars. You won't find me smoking many.

Salvelinus
03-07-2010, 01:54 PM
With winter fading away I will be a lot more likely to puff away on some of the bigger sticks in my humidor. Found myself smoking mostly robustos this winter.

TheGentleman
03-07-2010, 04:15 PM
I love a great churchill or torpedo, however, I'm in the camp that just doesn't have a couple hours to dedicate to that kind of smoke. Lately, I picked up a box of Epernay Le Petite's and Cruzado Avalitos. They both have been fantastic and very satisfying. Both smoke close to an hour.

gvarsity
03-08-2010, 01:21 PM
Mmmm the time to smoke any cigar right now would be nice. I'm to a point where anything bigger than a corona gorda seems huge. Years ago I started on robustos and for a long time a robusto or rothschild was my go to cigar. Then I went through a big Churchill, toro and large perfectos phase. Now I enjoy petite coronas, corona gordas and lanceros. I do feel like smaller ring gauges have a cleaner or more precise flavor profile than their corresponding large rg brethren. I have a couple of very large cigars I wish I had time to sit and enjoy. I have a couple of Litto Gomez Small Batch I I can't wait to try. They are some of the bigger cigars I will have ever smoked.

Razorhog
03-09-2010, 08:58 AM
Robusto 5x50 seems to be the best size for me - generally lasts about 1 hour, and has enough RG to keep the smoke cool. I do love some petite coronas though, the Pepin Black 1952's are a go to smoke for me.

rack04
03-09-2010, 09:04 AM
Wow! Not one post by DBall. :r

I smoked a jaw breaker last night. I have no clue what it was since it was gifted and unbanded but it had to be close to 52RG. It smoked very good so I couldn't have cared less about the RG. -(P