PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Advice on a Treadmill

Sancho
08-03-2009, 02:27 PM
Hello,
My Wife and I were at Sams and passed by the treadmills, seem reasonable cost. Does anyone have any insight on what a "Good" treadmill is? Any suggestions for cnet type websites that might have reviews etc? Took a quick look through google but nothing is sticking out to me as far as a comprehensive review website.

Thanks!

GreekGodX
08-03-2009, 03:01 PM
I would say that it is all up to the individual. At my gym I will never touch the one type of treadmill they have because my knees ache when I use that one. The treadmills I like are made by lifefitness. You can get treadmills with all kinds of options and fancy stuff(ie tv, fans). I would definitely consider one that runs quietly since you will be using it at home. Hope that helps some Chris..

Commander Quan
08-03-2009, 03:16 PM
I have no advice on treadmills since I can't run on one without aching, but have you also considered an elliptical?

Rabidsquirrel
08-03-2009, 03:18 PM
Plastic clothes hangers are much cheaper.

IMHO.

icehog3
08-03-2009, 03:25 PM
Most treadmills which are less than "commercial quality", or gym treadmills, are junk. The motors aren't worth the materials they are made with. I would suggest looking at one of the chains that sells commercial gym quality equipment or you will likely have a useless waste a space in your house a year from now, Chris.

fxpose
08-03-2009, 03:29 PM

IMHO.

I was going to say the same thing...:D

RGD.
08-03-2009, 05:57 PM
Treadmills are like boats - the two happiest days are the day you get them and the day you get rid of them.

If you must get one - the most important thing to look for is to make sure the damn thing has wheels under it - that way it's easier to shove out of your way while you are cursing at it.

Seriously though - if you really want one - check Craigslist. You can get a new one for next to nothing, virtually unused with just a layer a dust on it - :D

Okay, really serious - I'd suggest an elliptical machine instead. Got rid of my treadmill and went with the elliptical. A ton less noise, a ton easier on the knees, shorter workouts - and - you may actually use it like I do mine.

Ron

G G
08-03-2009, 05:58 PM

IMHO.
:tpd:exactly what i was thinking. I have a $800.00 clothes hanger myself.

chippewastud79
08-03-2009, 06:03 PM
We have a treadmill that we bought at Dick's Sporting Goods. Can't say I do much on it but walk on it to try to help out my knee and sweat a little, but my wife runs on it almost daily. She loves the damn thing. We chose the one that was one step below 'top of the line'. It is intended for users up to 350 lbs and it handles my height and weight no problem. It came with a 12 month warranty on everything and we bought the lifetime warranty for around $160 I believe. Would be well worth the money if anything happens to it like our elliptical (well over 6 visits by the tech to get that working, a whole other story). All-and-all I think it cost a little over $1200 for everything and if you used it fairly recently for two or so years it would be well worth it. I know my wife has gotten the money back out of the elliptical already. :2

I believe this is the model we have: http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3313767&cp=2367438.2367453

And they go one sale about every other month for $999-1099 and we got a free "workout TV" delivered with ours. Oh and unless you are using it on the same level as the door it is coming through, I would recomend inside delivery :tu

Resipsa
08-03-2009, 06:28 PM
Most treadmills which are less than "commercial quality", or gym treadmills, are junk. The motors aren't worth the materials they are made with. I would suggest looking at one of the chains that sells commercial gym quality equipment or you will likely have a useless waste a space in your house a year from now, Chris.

:tpd: the motor is the most important thing. Anything less than 3-3.5 chp is not going to last.

Www.treadmilltalk.com is a good site to check out

kelmac07
08-03-2009, 07:09 PM
I bought an Image 10.0 about five years ago (not even sure if they still make them). I walk on mine and the wife and I have used are quite a bit. Used to be in the garage and now upstairs in front of the 52" LCD (mostly Sportcenter on when I use it). Works like a champ and have not had any issues with it at all. I believe we paid around $400 for it when we did buy it. Althought, I must say...mine has been used as a cltohes hanger quite a bit...LOL!!!
Here's a review of it... http://www.trainersecrets.com/treadmill/image/Image_100.htm

captain53
08-03-2009, 07:14 PM
Use the space for a beer cooler and a humidor and walk back and forth, you will get far more use out of those than a treadmill.

elderboy02
08-03-2009, 07:17 PM
I work for a physical therapist. He does not own a treadmill. He says that it is harder on joints than an elliptical. He does all therapy on an elliptical. Just my :2

Rabidsquirrel
08-03-2009, 07:21 PM
To be serious for a moment, if you've never tried an elliptical, try it. It'll take about a week to get used to it, but it will be worth it.

chippewastud79
08-03-2009, 07:24 PM
I work for a physical therapist. He does not own a treadmill. He says that it is harder on joints than an elliptical. He does all therapy on an elliptical. Just my :2

Ellipticals are lower impact, but todays treadmills offer very cushioned running decks that are far better than running on concrete. I will admit that I used ellipticals much more early in my rehab than a treadmill, but an elliptical changes your stride pattern and when you go back to running it can feel akward. Eventually, a good physical therapist will have to put a rehab patient on a treadmill to work on walking/jogging/running. Unless you have a restrictive problem, like surgery, treadmills are a great option for cardio. It sounds like the OP is a runner, or would like to be, and a treadmill would be a better option than an elliptical. You have to be willing to use any piece of equipment though. :tu

elderboy02
08-03-2009, 07:27 PM
Ellipticals are lower impact, but todays treadmills offer very cushioned running decks that are far better than running on concrete. I will admit that I used ellipticals much more early in my rehab than a treadmill, but an elliptical changes your stride pattern and when you go back to running it can feel akward. Eventually, a good physical therapist will have to put a rehab patient on a treadmill to work on walking/jogging/running. Unless you have a restrictive problem, like surgery, treadmills are a great option for cardio. It sounds like the OP is a runner, or would like to be, and a treadmill would be a better option than an elliptical. You have to be willing to use any piece of equipment though. :tu

I agree. To be fair, my boss doesn't do much traditional physical therapy. He does fitness for duty exams and disability exams, etc.

I don't think you can go wrong with a treadmill or an elliptical.

Barteur
08-03-2009, 07:39 PM
Check your PM I sent you all the ''Consumer report'' in regards to Treadmills

Frenchie

White97Jimmy
08-04-2009, 06:37 AM
Sancho, if you want an elliptical, I've got one that you can have for let's say...$25.

Seriously...come pick this thing up. It's taking up space in my office next to my drum set and DJ equipment.

Buena Fortuna
08-04-2009, 06:56 AM
Hey! With all of the out-of-work auto suppliers around here, I'm sure we can find you a dynometer that isn't being used...:r:r