PDA

View Full Version : Flor de Oliva Robusto - Why'd I wait so long!

mrreindeer
08-03-2009, 09:20 AM
I finally got around to trying this sucker that I received from doubledown on the newb PIF over on the other site when I first got started up back in September last year.

http://www.njsmokingjacket.com/Njs_smoking_jacket/Home/Entries/2008/10/24_So_your_wallet_is_tight__files/flor-de-oliva-close_350.jpg

Why'd I wait so damn long!

I'm putting this in the general cigar discussion because I don't know if this quick little blurb qualifies as a review but I thought I'd share anyway. And ask some ?'s.

This cigar was sweet on the lips in prelight, lit up well and smoked even all the way through. The thing retained its sweetness on the lips almost all the way through and the taste, well, it was pretty damn delicious & consistent all the way through. And not sweet in smoking it...just on the lips. Do you folks get the same with this one as I did? I also noticed a bit of a punch at the end...do they have a tendency to give you a nicotine smack or am I just crazy? (don't answer that)

And under $1.50/a stick? Are you kidding me???

So what's the deal with this cigar...I'm trying to find some info but not really coming up with any....is this Oliva's red-headed stepchild? Why isn't information on this cigar on their website? Everywhere else claims that this is the product of the Oliva family but then it's not on their website. What's the deal?

beamish
08-03-2009, 09:22 AM
cant beat them for the price but i prefer the maduro

Blindjimme
08-03-2009, 09:28 AM
Hey David,

Yeah, it's the Oliva's budget line. The one you got there is the Natural, it's an Equadorian Sumatra wrapper with a sweet cap. The Robusto is the best size on these. Tasty for cheap.

Mark
08-03-2009, 09:39 AM
cant beat them for the price but i prefer the maduro

:tpd:

Can't beat them, especially at two bucks a stick! Tanith got me hooked on the maduros. Great cigar! :D

Kreth
08-03-2009, 09:42 AM
I got bombed with a churchill in a corojo wrapper. I can't wait to try it. :ss

mrreindeer
08-03-2009, 09:44 AM
gonna have to try the maddie, thx for the tip!

bowhnter
08-03-2009, 09:50 AM
Shhhh! :ss

kelmac07
08-03-2009, 10:17 AM
Just pulled the trigger on a 5er of the maddies. I have been hearing so much about these sticks...thanks for the thread, it pushed me over the edge.

rizzle
08-03-2009, 01:13 PM
I had one that someone had gifted me and the wrapper blew up so bad I couldn't smoke it. Many people like them though.

Steve
08-03-2009, 01:17 PM
I had one that someone had gifted me and the wrapper blew up so bad I couldn't smoke it. Many people like them though.

They can be hit or miss sometimes. I have had trouble with the maddies in particular being very fragile. But that is what can be expected from a "bargain" line I guess. All in all, I usually keep a bundle iin the humi for an everyday smoke. I also don't mind putting one down if I run out of time for some reason, hey, they're like 2.00 right.

BORIStheBLADE
08-03-2009, 01:37 PM
I smoked one of the naturals and the wrapper was sweet, but the cigar seemed kind of mild to me. I forgot about the Maduro's.

kaisersozei
08-03-2009, 02:23 PM
David:

Are these Flor de Oliva's still for sale? If so, kindly delete the posting as am totally committed to buying from you to save cost...

:D

Actually, what I came in here to say is that I had an opportunity to smoke one in the BTT PIF thread (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showpost.php?p=375847&postcount=800)a couple months ago. As you could tell from the review, I was a little put-off by the sweetened tip, the rest of the cigar was just okay. Definitely not bad for the price, but I probably won't search them out.

Glad you liked it, though!

dannysguitar
08-09-2009, 12:51 AM
The Sumatra is the only sweetened cap no?

mrreindeer
08-10-2009, 07:00 AM
David:

Are these Flor de Oliva's still for sale? If so, kindly delete the posting as am totally committed to buying from you to save cost...

:D

:r I will send you my name, address, phone number, social security number, 5 credit card numbers and expect a cashier's check from you that will bounce in about 2 weeks after I've already given your 'shipper' the items.

The Sumatra is the only sweetened cap no?

Mike mentioned that it was the natural that had the sweetened cap.

REALMCCOY
05-17-2010, 08:19 PM
I figured a resurrected thread would be best for some questions about this particular cigar line. I am almost finished with the first bundle of these I have yet to try, the Sumatra blend. I was curious if any one else experienced any wrapper problems with them or noticed how delicate the caps can be. I have tried wetting the cap before cutting, punching the head, just carefully cutting the wrapper and leaving the filler intact, all with mixed results. I understand that these are "budget smokes" and also that wrapper appears to be particularly thin. I can live with that cuz I enjoy them for what they are. Should I consider storing them a little more humidified? I store them in a cabinet box I made from left over spanish cedar in a larger humidor that keeps 65% average humidity with beads and all the other cigars in this humidor, as well as these burn great. Are the corojo wrappers just as susceptible to cracking? I have only had a few that I had to pitch because they were unsmokable. Any thoughts or insights would be greatly appreciated. I am not in the least bit unhappy:rolleyes:,just curious what others have to say.

sikk50
05-18-2010, 12:20 AM
You can try storing them at higher rh but you'll start getting burn problems. It's just a supper thin wrapper. If youre carful with them and don't mind the occasional cracking they're a no brainer in my opion

RevSmoke
05-18-2010, 06:52 AM
They can be hit or miss sometimes. I have had trouble with the maddies in particular being very fragile. But that is what can be expected from a "bargain" line I guess. All in all, I usually keep a bundle iin the humi for an everyday smoke. I also don't mind putting one down if I run out of time for some reason, hey, they're like 2.00 right.

Fragile maduros? The doesn't even make sense. Are you talking the wrappers?

Huskysibe
05-18-2010, 07:25 AM
Sometimes I experience a cap issue but for the most part if you are careful they hold up well, and for the cost, you cant beat em!

Dunkel
05-18-2010, 07:43 AM
I need to try the maduros.

Steve
05-18-2010, 08:01 AM
Like I said in an earlier post, these are nice, inexpensive smokes; but I have had quality issues with them intermittently. They are hit or miss, but for the price, not too bad in my opinion.

KenyanSandBoa
05-18-2010, 08:36 AM
It's funny this post came up because I just had a buddy of mine have this revelation Friday night. He wanted to pick up some smokes for after dinner, but didn't want to spend a lot of money, so I told him to try Oliva. I was actually reffering to the V, O, and G lines, but he got the Flor de Oliva because it was only a few bucks and LOVED it.

I have a couple in my humi from a sampler I bought, so I'll have to give these a try...seems like a good cigar to have with a cup of joe.

MarkinAZ
05-18-2010, 08:50 AM
I purchased a bundle of the FdO 5.75 x 43 in Sumatra wrapper back in 02/2009, and have been sitting in my cooler between 68 and 70 RH. I still have a handful left and these have been friggin great sticks to smoke. Interestingly, I've had no burn or wrapper issues with these:tu