PDA

View Full Version : Staycation anyone?

jjirons69
07-31-2009, 09:19 PM
Something new this year - a staycation. Never heard of it until this year and now I'm part of it. It started yesterday and runs through 8/10. 11 days of no work!! Many reasons to do it. My job is solid, so same money as always. However in the past six months, we've been through an MRI, a colonoscopy, a root canal, a tooth crown, and a new 4 ton AC unit. Even with medical/dental insurance, those first four listings with dent your wallet. The AC unit is very nice, but doesn't come cheap either. My sister and brother-in-law usually vacation with us. She's back in school and he's working less hours, so they're doing it, too. I figure we'll go to the beach a few days. I'll try to work a couple of rounds of golf in. We can go bowling. Maybe a movie. The Wii will stay busy. Also gives me some time to do a little maintenance around the house. There will most definitely be cold beer and cigars every evening. Best of all, I get to sleep in my own bed every night. Not so bad, I guess!!

Anyone else trying it this year?

CigarDood
07-31-2009, 09:37 PM
I did it last year. I spent a whole week watching TV and smoking cigars. It was amazing.

DPD6030
07-31-2009, 09:46 PM
Staycation, new concept, I like it. :tu Enjoy your staycation Jamie

Yote
08-01-2009, 12:29 AM
It is a heck of a lot less stress when you think about it. No worries about schedules, what you can fit in, what you have to cut short just to get to the next thing. Sit back, relax, spend time with the fam and call it good.

And there is nothing wrong with looking around for what is happing local and kicking them all outa bed early one day and say we are going to go do this... and just go do it. No worries about where your going to have to check in. Because it is your own bed and house and your totally comfortable as soon as you walk in the door.

NCRadioMan
08-01-2009, 12:45 AM
Hell Jamie, you live where tons of folks vacation anyway. I think you're set! :tu

bowhnter
08-01-2009, 05:47 AM
I did one in June..I like it. Have a good one!

Tenor CS
08-01-2009, 06:23 AM
I am doing a staycation as we speak. I live in the Orlando area and I have family coming to visit. They are staying in their own timeshare, I am staying at home with my wife. But I get to experience all the touristy things in my current hometown. Plus, since I work part-time at Disney, park admission will cost me nothing for myself, and I can get my family discount tickets. Everybody comes out ahead. Bonus: I get to see my new first cousin once removed!

kelmac07
08-01-2009, 06:50 AM
Staycation...hellI do this every year...LOL!!! Wife has been tryong for years to get me to go on a cruise, etc...I am a homebody and prefer the comforts of home.

tsolomon
08-01-2009, 07:31 AM
We started doing them 2 years ago. We pick out 3-4 golf courses that we want to play and then golf every other day. When we get home after golf, we have a nice dinner and a bottle of wine. No airports or hotel rooms and no stress. Well maybe that long birdie putt. :rolleyes:

shilala
08-01-2009, 07:38 AM
I've made a living out of it. :)
I'm gonna go for a real weekend vacation in a week or two. One of those three day hurryup deals.

Sailkat
08-01-2009, 08:10 AM
Enjoy your staycation! It's a great way to enjoy the area you live in without rushing around. Great time to go to the local attractions during the week when there are less people. Play some golf, invite some friends over to BBQ, smoke cigars, sleep in.....

Enjoy!!

bigloo
08-01-2009, 08:19 AM
Hate travel so I do this at least once a year for my vacation. I love it. Sleep late, smoke cigars, spend 2 hours cooking amazing meals. I use the time to discover my surrounding like never before. One day I will choose bakeries, another day delis, etc, etc. I am a walking encyclopedia of food places around town... love doing it and you enjoy!