PDA

View Full Version : Cigar Caddies in a Vinotemp

Tenor CS
07-31-2009, 06:21 PM
Seeing this thread (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=19285) about keeping a humi in the fridge over the weekend got me thinking.

So, here's a hypothetical for you.

I put 10 properly humidified cigars in a 10 ct cigar caddy. I keep the caddy, closed in the vino. How long will it be ok for? Forever? Don't do it at all? Somewhere in between? Is this a good idea for long-term storage?

I have 5 ct, 10 ct, 15 ct, and 18 ct cigar caddies. Which one I use depends on the length of the trip.

Please bear in mind I am looking for info that will take into account the difference between a wood humi and a cigar caddy. Since the caddies are supposed to be water and air tight, I was wondering how that would affect things.

What about possible ammonia build-up, considering the airtight seal on the caddies?

Note: the 18-ct is the only caddy I have that has the "release" screw-out valve.

Tenor CS
07-31-2009, 06:40 PM
PS, in the caddies, as far as humidification:

I have NEVER wet the floral foam in the caddies. I use the 5-ct for a day out, so I don't bother humidifying it. For the bigger ones, I will use a drymistat stick or some of the heartfelt humidity sheets.

DPD6030
07-31-2009, 08:08 PM
I have a caddy in my vino as well. Mine isn't sealed so it will get the humidity from the sticks and the beads in the vino. When I travel I put a small shilala bag of beads in my caddy (it fits in one cigar slot). If they are closed I would not say they would be good forever but probably 3-4 months.

Tenor CS
08-01-2009, 04:05 AM
bump for more advice?