PDA

View Full Version : Shipping To Canada/Customs rules?

kzm007
07-30-2009, 05:03 PM
I've got a friend in Halifax, NS who's a big fan of HBO's TRUE BLOOD thanks to me :D. I was looking online today, and I saw that they've created a TruBlood beverage knockoff for sale.

I was going to have her order a four-pack and send me two, and then I'd pay her for it via PP. I thought it'd be easier sending it directly to her, rather than having me fumble with packaging and all that. However, shipping to Canada is $25.95 US compared to it being $10 cheaper shipping it to me instead.

What's the best course of action? Could I save money by having it sent to me, and then mailing her her half, or is it going to be about the same either way?

And what're Customs' rules for marking an item as a gift, what does that guarantee, if anything?

Thanks all.

http://store.hbo.com/detail.php?p=105736&v=hbo_shows_true-blood

bobarian
07-30-2009, 05:29 PM
You would have to ship by courier(UPS, FedEx, etc) Liquids by USPS are a no-no.

shaggy
07-30-2009, 05:32 PM
no promises on the gift thing but usually they dont bother with them from a house to a house and under 20 bucks. cant be labeled as alcohol or tobbacco tho

prolly just as cheap and easy to have it shipped direct to them

kzm007
07-30-2009, 05:32 PM
Right, I think HBO uses FedEx for these :) thanks.

And it's not anything, just a soda I guess, but I'll keep that in mind. Thanks.

kzm007
07-30-2009, 06:22 PM
Looks like they're shippable to US only, anyway. Sigh...oh well, thanks all.

kzm007
07-30-2009, 06:41 PM
One more thing. Would these go flat shipping from me to her? I'd think it wouldn't make a difference, they ship to me after all, but I'd hate for her to get them and not even be able to drink them.

RBOrrell
08-01-2009, 06:54 PM
My only advice is to not use UPS.... they charge a customs/brokerage fee that is huge. I have bought things from the US and when they are shipped UPS the customs/brokerage fee is over the original cost.