PDA

View Full Version : Contractor hell? Do I have a 'F#$k with me' sign

mrreindeer
07-30-2009, 12:13 PM
Seriously, do I have this sign on my back?

Not going to go into this because it's ongoing but seriously, let's start a thread about contractors who have screwed you or are screwing you over...

What is wrong with contractors? No offense to you guys who are standup contractors but we're currently in hell. Seriously, I've heard nothing but horror stories (because they're oh so much more entertaining) about contractors and it's all come true...

So what's your beef? If you're in my shoes...

And hey, you contractors out there, why do some of them phuck us so?

Savor the Stick
07-30-2009, 12:16 PM
I don't know. But sorry your getting this trouble from them.
I'll be praying for you guys.

gettysburgfreak
07-30-2009, 12:18 PM
umm, I hope things get better. Maybe get yourself a good lawyer if things get out of hand?

Darrell
07-30-2009, 12:19 PM
Whiner. ;)

mrreindeer
07-30-2009, 12:22 PM
Whiner. ;)

Don't get me started bud... :r

thx Kev & Getty

kydsid
07-30-2009, 12:24 PM
Just fire the guy. Last I knew the housing market was in a slump which should mean plenty of contractors to hire. ;)

Sorry for your troubles though.

Darrell
07-30-2009, 12:24 PM
Don't get me started bud... :r

thx Kev & Getty

Don't go getting all upset and stressing MrsR out, I don't want my baby feeling the repercussions of your whining. :D

md4958
07-30-2009, 12:26 PM
Just fire the guy. Last I knew the housing market was in a slump which should mean plenty of contractors to hire. ;)

you would think that would be the case, but they are still asshats.

CigarDood
07-30-2009, 12:33 PM
I feel your pain.

Scottw
07-30-2009, 12:44 PM
Been through this David, our contractor told us in September of 2007 that our house would be ready in 16 weeks. He is coming back next week to finish the final touch ups, two years and $153,000 later.

mrreindeer
07-30-2009, 01:01 PM

Thanks man....yeah, yesterday, we gave him 2 options...one of which wasn't going to be good for him & he didn't even ask.

Don't go getting all upset and stressing MrsR out, I don't want my baby feeling the repercussions of your whining. :D

Seriously, been trouble ALL along...no good for her.... and ha ha ha. :D

mrreindeer
07-30-2009, 01:02 PM
Been through this David, our contractor told us in September of 2007 that our house would be ready in 16 weeks. He is coming back next week to finish the final touch ups, two years and $153,000 later.

omg omg omg

GKitty
07-30-2009, 01:22 PM

Don't spook the reindeer! :D

Sorry to hear about your situation. As someone who works with contractors everyday, let me assure you. There are good ones out there. Unfortunately, they don't advertise because the word of mouth business they generate keeps them busy (for the most part).

I wish I had advice for you, but the best thing I can probably say is: Deep breaths and stand your ground. It's your home and you get to say when it's right/done. (That is of course assuming all your requests are within the realm of possibility.)

Of course, I also deal with homeowners and can tell you some horror stories about those guys too. ;)

Best of luck, my friend. Stay cool. This too shall pass.

mrreindeer
07-30-2009, 01:54 PM
Thank you Crystal.

The thing that really kills me is that I KNOW that a time machine is possible and he refuses to build it.

Of course, I also deal with homeowners and can tell you some horror stories about those guys too.

Who me??? :confused:

:D

Scottw
07-30-2009, 01:56 PM
Thank you Crystal.

The thing that really kills me is that I KNOW that a time machine is possible and he refuses to build it.

Who me??? :confused:

:D

Yeah you Mr. Painintheballs. :dance:

Mugen910
07-30-2009, 01:59 PM
Fixed for ya...

Sorry to hear of your troubles dude...but life would not be life without some hassles :tu

rizzle
07-30-2009, 02:20 PM
Dude, I have to tell my wife every time we have something done, you know how it is when we deal with contractors. Just expect it.

They're not all bad, just most of them have no concept of time management or how to clean up after themselves. And they aren't good with making phone calls...unless they need money.

AAlmeter
07-30-2009, 04:43 PM
I get to deal with them every day. Only another 50-60 years until retirement!

BigFrank
07-30-2009, 05:37 PM
BBB-Better Business Bureau

More helpful than you may think.

GKitty
07-30-2009, 07:41 PM

:r

Maybe you're just not explaining it to him in enough detail. I recommend artist's renderings and schematics scribbled on a napkin. That should straighten him out.

At this point, I'm thinking about the homeowner who called me LIVID because his roofer did not hit the nail targets on the shingles he was installing precisely dead center. How did he know this? Well, because he got up there and examined the installation that minutely. He wanted the roofer to tear the whole roof off, buy new material, and do it again. At the roofer's expense, of course. As an employee of the manufacturer of said shingles, it fell to me to explain to this homeowner that the marks are a suggestion and sometime due to the specific situational requirements the marks have to be ignored. That's an hour of my life I'll never get back.

But I'm sure you're not that guy. :D

[/threadjack]

maxnmisty435
07-30-2009, 07:58 PM
I hope I am not being a jerk here but was he the cheapest?

If so you got what you paid for. Sorry:(

I own my own Fencing bussiness and I see it everyday......Homeowner gets bids and goes with the cheapest. Then call me later to fix what the jag off that was cheaper screwed up. Of course It always costs more in the long run.

Get references!!!!! Do not call those people......go and see the work that was done. I know a few contractors that use family members as references.

One other thing to keep in mind with alot of people being laid off or fired, there are more "contractors" on the market. When these people get laid off from the factory they pick up a hammer, slap a sign on their truck and they are a contractor.

I hate that you are going through this. This gives all legitimate tradesman a bad name.

RGD.
07-30-2009, 09:34 PM
. . .

Get references!!!!! Do not call those people......go and see the work that was done. . . .

And don't just ask for, or settle for a couple two or three references. Ask for 6 to 10 of them - and they should be of the same type of work that you are having done.

When people ask me for references I always give them at least 8 and ask if they need more.

Also, insist on performance pay schedules. Every contract that I write (for the company I work for) is based on that.

I've been in the trades for over 30 years now - 16 years running my own business (VA Class A).

And I could write a book on the subject: from stupid ass contractors to stupid ass customers.

Ron

kayak_rat
07-30-2009, 09:37 PM
I get to deal with them every day. Only another 50-60 years until retirement!

Beat me to it bud.......deal with them every day.

All I can say is document, document, document. I keep every email and log every phone call in my journal for each job. This sounds like overkill, but it is very usefull. Anything that I deal with on a job, I take 5 minutes to jot it down. This comes in handy when the "thats not what you said" is thrown out there. It also creates a timeline in case things are taken to court. I can almost guarantee most contractors do not keep records for every day stuff. This has been a life saver when we have had to go to arbitration.

Always prepare for the worst. Harsh way to look at it, but I am dealing with 5+ million dollar contracts on the low end. I recommend this whether it be a small home improvement or a large scale renovation.

Second, have a good lawyer on call. Contract law is different in every state, and as Max stated.....any joe blow can claim to be a pro. Again, seems like over kill and unnecessary, but can a price be put on piece of mind.

And for the record, I have dealt with contractors I wouldnt p*ss on if they were on fire and I have had contractors I contact when I know we have a large job coming up. There are good and bad....and for the most part, low bid is a bad idea.

cort
07-30-2009, 11:02 PM
Need any electrical work done?

I'm your man. :banger