PDA

View Full Version : ABT Recipe (BACON!)

itsme_timd
07-28-2009, 01:42 PM
Oh man, are these things good.

I found these mentioned by a few others here and tweaked the recipe a bit. They have a silly name - Atomic Buffalo Turds, guess that's why they get called ABT's!

INGREDIENTS
10-12 Jalapeņos
1 lb of bacon
8 oz. cream cheese, softened
1 cup cheddar cheese
3 fresh chorizo links
Barbecue dry rub
Garlic powder to taste (I would have used fresh but I didn't have any)
Onion powder to taste

This was a great use for some of my homegrown jalapeņos! I didn't have enough on my plant so I had to get some from the store, mine look much better than the ones I got at the store... but I digress.

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa247/tgdennis1971/Junk/ABTs/ABTJalapenos2.jpg

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa247/tgdennis1971/Junk/ABTs/ABTIngredients1.jpg

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa247/tgdennis1971/Junk/ABTs/ABTIngredients2.jpg

PREPARATION
This part is pretty easy, nothing too crazy here.
- Skin the chorizo and brown it
- Sliced the jalapeņos lengthwise and remove the seeds and veins
- Spread the bacon out and sprinkle it with the dry rub.
- Get your grill or smoker heated up to about 250F.
- Once the chorizo is browned, drain it to remove excess fat. If you don't have the time to let this cool to room temperature then rinse it with cold water.
- Mix the chorizo, cream and cheddar cheeses, garlic salt and onion powder together. If you like you can add some of the dry rub here as well.
--- The cream cheese acts mostly as a binder here, the bulk of the mixture should be chorizo and cheddar.

ABT ASSEMBLY
- Take a jalapeņo half and a load it with a heaping teaspoon of the mixture. The size should be about the same as if the pepper wasn't cut in half.
- Wrap that sucker in a piece of bacon. Some recipes use a half a piece per ABT.
- Repeat until you're out of cheese mixture, bacon, or jalapeņos.
*NOTE* I ran out of bacon first and had some of the cheese mixture left. This will makes a killer cheese spread for crackers! You could dice some of the jalapeņo and mix that in as well. Nom.
- Some of the rub may come off of the bacon, once these are all assembled you may want to dust them up again.

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa247/tgdennis1971/Junk/ABTs/ABTReadyfortheGrill.jpg

COOK 'EM!
- Place these over indirect heat if you are using a grill!
- In my gas grill I turn on one side of the burners and I had an aluminum pan with mesquite chunks over the flame.
- Close it down and smoke these for about 2 hours.
- WARNING! Do not take a knife and fork to the smoker and eat these off the smoker like that's your plate. That's rude. You will want to... but try to restrain yourself.

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa247/tgdennis1971/Junk/ABTs/ABTReadytoEat.jpg

SOME VARIATIONS
- Eliminate the chorizo and use another cup of cheddar cheese then place 1 little smokie link inside the jalapeņo before covering with cheese.
- I saw a lot of recipes that put a bit of honey in the cheese mixture.. whatever floats your boat.
- Mince fresh garlic and onion and use those in place of the powders.
- Use poblano peppers.
- If you have leftovers and you refrigerate them you could probably slice them up and make an omelet for breakfast the next day. At least I think you could - not that I made an ABT omelet. But if I did I bet it would be delicious, especially with some whole wheat toast.

Enjoy!

Doctorossi
07-28-2009, 01:50 PM
Nice! Sounds like an American variation on Devils On Horseback. Thanks for sharing!

TheTraveler
07-28-2009, 02:02 PM
:dr :dr :dr

OK, I'm definitely trying this recipe. That looks NICE!

icehog3
07-28-2009, 02:09 PM
Bacon...jalapenos....chorizo....cheese?

I'm IN, Baby!! :dr :dr

itsme_timd
07-28-2009, 02:28 PM
If anyone else makes these I'd love to see your tweaks and how it turned out for you!

I can't wait to make some more myself. :banger

Smokin Gator
07-28-2009, 03:12 PM
I make them a lot and they are always a hit.

I usually only use cream cheese for the stuffing, but have put all kinds of things in there. Two favorites are chopped little smokie sausages and chopped cooked shrimp.

I also use the whole jap. I cut of the stem end and clean out the seed/veins with a vegetable peeler.

Two more tips... wear gloves. The more of these you do the more sensitive it seems you will become. Now if I don't wear gloves by hand swell and get really stiff. Another is to use thin sliced bacon and kind of stretch it as you put it on. It will get much crispier that way

Here are some I made over the 4th of July:

galaga
08-08-2009, 09:54 AM
Made these from memory last night. I forgot the onion and garlic, but remembered everything else. Old Bay seasoning works great! These are addicting belly-bombs!! Thanks for putting the recipe up :tu

ucla695
08-08-2009, 10:02 AM
Those look incredibly delicious!! :dr :dr :dr And with home grown jalapenos to boot. :tu

pnoon
08-08-2009, 10:03 AM
Made these from memory last night. I forgot the onion and garlic, but remembered everything else. Old Bay seasoning works great! These are addicting belly-bombs!! Thanks for putting the recipe up :tu

That was some good $hit, Maynard. :D

captain53
08-08-2009, 10:13 AM
I have made similar treats but this has some interesting new twists for sure and I plan to try it soon. Thanks for sharing!

fxpose
08-08-2009, 11:14 AM
Try wrapping bacon around a small piece of chicken thigh topped with creme cheese, pineapple, and jalapeno. They're as good as ABT's.....or better...

itsme_timd
08-08-2009, 06:52 PM
Try wrapping bacon around a small piece of chicken thigh topped with creme cheese, pineapple, and jalapeno. They're as good as ABT's.....or better...

That does sound mighty tasty!

Scothew
09-20-2009, 08:20 PM
I made these yesterday with some buddies over to watch in support of my attempt. They turned out DAYUM GOOD!

I did a variation however. I didnt use chorizo, i used deer sausage from a deer my father in law killed about 2 miles from my house. Just thought that was cool :p

Also I didnt use any garlic, or onion powder, mainly because I forgot. I did however use in my creamcheese, venison, cheddar cheese mixture; lots of Tony Chatchere's creole seasoning, some of the BBQ dry rub (also used heavily on the bacon), and for more smokey/spicey kick, i threw in a decent amount of fresh ground chipotle powder.

Threw em on the pre-heated electric smoker with a nice chunk of hickory thrown on the coil. 2 hours later, this is the result. 10min after this shot, all but 4 were left :D

http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/attachment.php?attachmentid=3913&stc=1&d=1253499612

skullnrose
09-20-2009, 08:31 PM
Guess I know what I'm cooking up tomorrow.

itsme_timd
09-21-2009, 12:36 AM
I made these yesterday with some buddies over to watch in support of my attempt. They turned out DAYUM GOOD!

I did a variation however. I didnt use chorizo, i used deer sausage from a deer my father in law killed about 2 miles from my house. Just thought that was cool :p

Also I didnt use any garlic, or onion powder, mainly because I forgot. I did however use in my creamcheese, venison, cheddar cheese mixture; lots of Tony Chatchere's creole seasoning, some of the BBQ dry rub (also used heavily on the bacon), and for more smokey/spicey kick, i threw in a decent amount of fresh ground chipotle powder.

Threw em on the pre-heated electric smoker with a nice chunk of hickory thrown on the coil. 2 hours later, this is the result. 10min after this shot, all but 4 were left :D

Very nice, Scott! I've made these a couple more times over the last month with different variations - I think they taste better every time I make them!

kelmac07
09-21-2009, 12:42 AM
Looks very tasty!!!

Scothew
09-21-2009, 07:18 AM
Biggest note I learned about this. Make double everything than you did last time. Xcytez son was over and he ate all the left over sausage/cheese dip while the ABT's were on the smoker. I wondered why he kept sneaking off to the kitchen :p

Red
09-21-2009, 07:19 AM
man i want that..Tim..why dont you fly up here and cook some up for me..i got the light beer and black and milds

Poe
09-21-2009, 07:20 AM
I had a chance to try the ones Scothew cooked and I can't wait to try to make these myself. They were excellent!

itsme_timd
09-21-2009, 07:22 AM
man i want that..Tim..why dont you fly up here and cook some up for me..i got the light beer and black and milds

These are the best, Red. Scott is right about doubling up, the filling works great as a dip with veggies or a spread on crackers.

Come to ATL and I'll hook you up! You can leave the Black & Milds and MGD 64 at home... :D

Scothew
09-21-2009, 07:23 AM
I had a chance to try the ones Scothew cooked and I can't wait to try to make these myself. They were excellent!

Guess you'll have to since you wouldn't dare come watch football at my place would you :r

Scothew
09-21-2009, 07:26 AM
These are the best, Red. Scott is right about doubling up, the filling works great as a dip with veggies or a spread on crackers.

Come to ATL and I'll hook you up! You can leave the Black & Milds and MGD 64 at home... :D

I only made a dozen ABT's this time, thats what I meant by doubling up. But you are right, the dip was excellent on tortilla chips

Xcytez
09-21-2009, 09:21 AM
Yeah, my son is a walking garbage disposal at 16... he will eat everyting in site...lol

GoldnGT
09-21-2009, 09:27 AM

I second this. =) They were excellent.:dr:dr

Steve
09-21-2009, 09:32 AM
I have made these quite a bit as well. I have also done it with habenaros. I have also done similar things with small portabello mushrooms. I save some of my pulled pork from my last cook to mix in as well.

Two more tips... wear gloves.

X2

One time I didn't wear gloves and had to stop while prepping the peppers to use the rest room. Now, I guess I'm a bit slow, because while I always wash up after going, I didn't before I went. Lord almighty! NOT fun! 2nd degree chemical burns on a VERY tender part of the anatomy is NOT recommended!!!

That is something that you will only do ONCE in a lifetime, I guarantee that!

Scothew
09-21-2009, 09:51 AM
Oh geez. Yeah I washed frequently while prepping the peppers.

TripleF
09-29-2009, 06:57 AM
Man, does this look good. :jd

captain53
09-29-2009, 01:53 PM
Made some up and took them to a party recently, party host called the next day to request the recipe. They were great, thanks again for sharing!:tu

Scothew
09-29-2009, 02:42 PM
i made these a 2nd time in my electric smoker. First ones turned out perfect. 2nd ones not quite as good mainly because all i had was some deer hamburger meat, so not as fatty as the sausage and i also didnt have any hickory to throw in the smoker on the coil.

I think the hickory the first time brought some extra heat and smokey flavor that set them off perfect. I smoked the 2nd batch for 2 hours like the same and i think they could have used another 30min or so.

mrreindeer
10-04-2009, 10:58 AM
Holy sweet Jesus, those look amazing!

Paint
10-04-2009, 11:06 AM
Great pics Timmy!Makes me hungry for some of those tasty treats.

gorob23
10-04-2009, 11:20 AM

I can't believe

A. I never saw this recipe before and

B. YOU DIDN'T INVITE ME !!!! :mad:

Good stuff
Rob :tpd:

itsme_timd
10-04-2009, 11:53 AM
Glad to see folks are loving these, they really do rock!

The cool thing is, like galaga said, you don't have to stick to a solid recipe. Add your own personal touches at there's still a 99% chance they're going to be awesome. :D

scoot
10-31-2009, 03:30 PM
Could these be done in an oven, or do you need a smoker?

captain53
10-31-2009, 03:37 PM

I tried it in a time crunch and they were marginal at best but they edible. :td They are some kind of good smoked or grilled though.:tu:tu:tu

itsme_timd
11-01-2009, 08:01 PM

Here's the trick to doing these in the oven. They come out pretty good but not 'quite' as good as on the grill. I've done ribs and brisket this way as well.

Preheat the oven to 250F.
Arrange the ABT's on rack that you can set over a pan of water.
Add some liquid smoke to the pan of water.
-- You can also add onions, apples, fruit juice
Put 'em in there for about 1 1/2 hours - 2 hours.

That's it! It works pretty well if a grill or smoker is not available.

jwintosh
11-01-2009, 08:38 PM
gonna try this, for sure!! excellent recipe!!

BengalMan
04-09-2010, 10:02 AM
Just skimming threads and saw this thread. I've made these time and time again at our tailgate and are always a huge hit, however, I always run into the same problem, the mixture I fill them with (cream cheese, shredded cheese, pulled pork) always ends up melting all over the place before the bacon can finish cooking. I usually can get the heat side down cooked, but the top part of the bacon (also where the filling is) is undercooked, and flipping them causes a huge mess. By the time they come off the grill, they're a sloppy and uneatable without a fork. How can I get the bacon to cook evenly while keeping the filling inside each piece?

itsme_timd
04-09-2010, 10:06 AM
Just skimming threads and saw this thread. I've made these time and time again at our tailgate and are always a huge hit, however, I always run into the same problem, the mixture I fill them with (cream cheese, shredded cheese, pulled pork) always ends up melting all over the place before the bacon can finish cooking. I usually can get the heat side down cooked, but the top part of the bacon (also where the filling is) is undercooked, and flipping them causes a huge mess. By the time they come off the grill, they're a sloppy and uneatable without a fork. How can I get the bacon to cook evenly while keeping the filling inside each piece?

Easy fix (hopefully) for this...

Cook them on lower temp (250) with indirect heat rather than 'grilling' them. When I do them I light 2 burners on my grill and put the ABT's on the opposite side - with a pan of soaked mesquite over the flame. Get the temp to about 250 and they should cook nice and slow and get the bacon done without oozing out and without the need to flip them. HTH. :banger

BengalMan
04-09-2010, 10:17 AM
Gotcha. Will try this next time. Will have to get the grill started earlier next football tailgate season :)

raisin
04-09-2010, 10:19 AM
There are several rack and holder design solutions to your problem readily available on the net, try searching here:

http://virtualweberbullet.com/

BigAsh
04-09-2010, 10:44 AM
Here's some ABT's on one of the racks I have....along with some "fatties"....

http://i313.photobucket.com/albums/ll369/kdos66/BDS%20Smoker/KeithDoSantos-YardleyPA-07.jpg
http://i313.photobucket.com/albums/ll369/kdos66/BDS%20Smoker/KeithDoSantos-YardleyPA-04.jpg

Mmmmm.....now I know what I'll be doing this weekend

Superbad
05-16-2010, 08:38 PM
Thanks for the recipe. I have the stuff to make these waiting in the fridge now.

Prozac_Puros
09-01-2010, 08:39 AM
My son had a birthday over the weekend, He asked me to make a batch of ABTs

40 homegrown jalapeno peppers
2 types of bacon
2 packages of cream cheese
1 cup of sharp chedar cheese
4 cloves of garlic, minced
1 package of little smokies

I didn't cut the jalapeno peppers in half, I just cut the stems off and cored the peppers with an old peeler. I stuffed the peppers with the mixed cream cheese, chedar cheese and minced garlic.. pop in a lil smokie, wrap with bacon.....

Mmmmm, bacon

On the grill

I would have taken a picture of the finished product.... They didn't last too long. :dr

BigAsh
09-01-2010, 09:23 AM
My son had a birthday over the weekend, He asked me to make a batch of ABTs

40 homegrown jalapeno peppers
2 types of bacon
2 packages of cream cheese
1 cup of sharp chedar cheese
4 cloves of garlic, minced
1 package of little smokies

I didn't cut the jalapeno peppers in half, I just cut the stems off and cored the peppers with an old peeler. I stuffed the peppers with the mixed cream cheese, chedar cheese and minced garlic.. pop in a lil smokie, wrap with bacon.....

Mmmmm, bacon

On the grill

I would have taken a picture of the finished product.... They didn't last too long. :dr

Mmmmmmmmmmm.....been awhile since I fired up a batch of ABT's....:tu