PDA

View Full Version : Michael Vick Reinstated to NFL

BlackDog
07-27-2009, 02:57 PM
The NFL has "conditionally" reinstated Michael Vick. My guess is that if he gets picked up by a team he's going to keep out of trouble.

Michael Vick Reinstated by the NFL
Monday, July 27, 2009

NEW YORK — Michael Vick was conditionally reinstated by NFL commissioner Roger Goodell on Monday and could play in regular season games as early as October.

Vick can immediately participate in preseason practices, workouts and meetings and can play in the final two preseason games — if he can find a team that will sign him. A number of teams have already said they would not.

MORE.... (http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,534970,00.html)

Starscream
07-27-2009, 02:57 PM
It's about time. Somebody's gonna sign him.

The Poet
07-27-2009, 03:01 PM
Do you think Al Davis is on the phone yet? :)

GreekGodX
07-27-2009, 03:03 PM
It is just too bad that he still might not play until week 6. I think he has served enough of a punishment and should get a full reinstatement.

bigloo
07-27-2009, 03:10 PM
Vikings is my bet... they need a QB and badly.

BlackDog
07-27-2009, 03:16 PM
Vikings is my bet... they need a QB and badly.
Wouldn't suprise me. I don't think all the Brett Favre talk is going to pan out into anything productive. I think Brett's ship has sailed.

St. Lou Stu
07-27-2009, 03:18 PM
He'd be a good fit with either, Vikings or Bengals.

The Poet
07-27-2009, 03:19 PM
Farve worked out fine for the Jets last year - half the season, anyway. So there's the plan for you - Brett the first half, then Vick to finish.

bigloo
07-27-2009, 03:19 PM
I think Brett's ship has sailed.

Only this year? :)

Vick may/probably has lost a step of two but with Peterson he does not need to run and I am sure his arm is still a massive gun.

kelmac07
07-27-2009, 04:08 PM
I was hoping for this outcome...NFL should not be different than anyone else...NO DOUBLE JEAPORDY!! He did his time...I trult believe that Goodell made the right decision. Now the hard part...who is going to sign him and put up with all the press?

dunng
07-27-2009, 04:28 PM
I'd like to see what Bill can do with him... :tu

bigloo
07-27-2009, 04:33 PM
I'd like to see what Bill can do with him... :tu

Dolfins? Parcells?

dubnick
07-27-2009, 04:38 PM
I've heard rumor of the Panthers

The Poet
07-27-2009, 04:39 PM
Dolfins? Parcells?

No, I think he means that other Bill - the one who thinks rules are made for him to break, as long as he wins. :r

bigloo
07-27-2009, 04:48 PM
No, I think he means that other Bill - the one who thinks rules are made for him to break, as long as he wins. :r

Ahhh,OK, Masshole... missed that. Yeah, that wont happen:)

icehog3
07-27-2009, 05:05 PM
Too bad his college eligibility is over, he could play for the Georgia Bulldogs, or the Northern Illinois Huskies, or the Easten New Mexico Greyhounds, or the ....Oh, OK. You get it. ;)

blugill
07-27-2009, 05:24 PM
I really doubt if anyone will want this PR nightmare.

tobii3
07-27-2009, 05:30 PM
:tg

yeah. Let him play.

No pads, no helmet.

Maybe for the Cleveland Browns so the Dawg Pound can videotape and make money off his ""fighting prowess"".

Whoever signs him is gonna face a PR nightmare.

bigloo
07-27-2009, 05:31 PM
Andy, he will play. There have been NFL stars convicted of crimes as serisou as manslaughter who have played when released. Take Leonard Little as a prize example.

tobii3
07-27-2009, 05:41 PM
all you gotta do is look at the Dallas Cowboys during the 90's for a list of criminals.

Pretty pathetic, really.

Mr. Ed
07-27-2009, 06:17 PM
I really don't think he is that great or can be a legit starting QB for anyone this season.

He hasn't played football for two years, and wasn't that great when he was playing. A lot of fumbles(a fact that never seems to be brought up), poor pass completion percentage, a lot of sacks, and a 1.4 to 1 TD/INT ratio. He sure could run the ball though...

http://www.nfl.com/players/profile?id=VIC311467

My prediction is that he wallows on the bench as a third stringer or doesn't get sign at worst, or becomes a guy that plays 3 or 4 plays a game in some Wild Cat Formation at best.

white_s2k
07-27-2009, 06:20 PM
all you gotta do is look at the Dallas Cowboys during the 90's for a list of criminals.

Pretty pathetic, really.

Nobody deserves a second chance. You're totally right.

tobii3
07-27-2009, 06:42 PM
Second Chance is a type of Body Armor.

LINK (http://www.secondchance.com/products/summit.asp)

NOT an approach towards athletes who piss their careers away.

Resipsa
07-27-2009, 06:44 PM
First thing that happenned in Atlanta after they dumped his azz as qb is they went to the playoffs. 'Nuff said.:2

blugill
07-27-2009, 06:55 PM
Andy, he will play. There have been NFL stars convicted of crimes as serisou as manslaughter who have played when released. Take Leonard Little as a prize example.

Barry Bonds is out of a job because no team wanted that circus anymore. He, thus far, isn't convicted of anything.

You are right that there have been lots of NFL stars convicted of crimes and have played afterward. Probably even more have never been convicted of anything and are more guilty than Vick. The fact of the matter though is that Vick is probably the highest profile athlete in the highest profile position and that commands tons of scrutiny.

I guess the major question would be would the fans accept Vick or shun the team because of Vick? If you were an owner would YOU take that chance?

I'm glad he is reinstated. He paid for his crimes, our country is very forgiving. That doesn't mean he is entitled to his old job again though.

I know if I had a slip up in my job I would be without a job and it would not be there waiting on me when I got released.

blugill
07-27-2009, 06:58 PM
I really don't think he is that great or can be a legit starting QB for anyone this season.

He hasn't played football for two years, and wasn't that great when he was playing. A lot of fumbles(a fact that never seems to be brought up), poor pass completion percentage, a lot of sacks, and a 1.4 to 1 TD/INT ratio. He sure could run the ball though...

http://www.nfl.com/players/profile?id=VIC311467

My prediction is that he wallows on the bench as a third stringer or doesn't get sign at worst, or becomes a guy that plays 3 or 4 plays a game in some Wild Cat Formation at best.

Or the UFL awaits (http://www.ufl-football.com/) Mr. Vick.

bigloo
07-27-2009, 07:02 PM
Nobody deserves a second chance. You're totally right.

Comparing pro athletes making millions to normal people is faulty IMHO. These guys are given the world and all they need to do it keep their noses clean. Additionally,they make their money due to support from fans and somehow confuse this for being above the law. I dont think kids should support any athlete who had commited a crime. I could go on and on. Do they deserve a 2nd chance? Sure... do they deserve our support... hell no.

Starscream
07-27-2009, 07:14 PM

I don't see where he'd fit in here, although I'd love to see someone come in and do a better job than Delhomme.

Starscream
07-27-2009, 07:18 PM
Do they deserve a 2nd chance? Sure... do they deserve our support... hell no.

Some of the most influential people in the world are/were reformed criminals. St. Paul comes to mind when reading the above statement. Not that I think Vick will become a saint by any means, but he has served his time (much more time than some NFL players who are convicted of manslaughter and only served 60-90 days). He may turn himself around (doubtful, but you never know).

Cigary
07-27-2009, 07:35 PM
Second chances? What about all of the animals that never got a second chance? What about his bankrolling and producing everything about what he got nailed for? He knowingly went in to that enterprise with the intentions of causing harm and to make money at the expense of the lives of a huge number of dogs,,,,and then burying them like casual garbage. To say he has served his time is subjective at best,,,that is like telling a child to go to "time out" and then pat him on the head and saying " good boy" and go back and play and have fun. Serving time is not the equivalent of learning his lesson or bearing the consequences of those actions. Football is something I enjoy as a fan and as a player myself but when I played the game it was about who you were in association with those you played with and the man you are. Michael Vick is a person who is out for Michael Vick alone,,,not the NFL, not the fans and certainly not for those he has hurt in his lifes journey. For any person with a criminal background who wants to redeem himself in life,,,do it because you want to change yourself but not because you can be an athlete and do things on the field,,,,,this is not a barometer for who you are as a human being. A real man will change his life and behavior and "fix" that which he has broken,,,not just served time in a prison cell.

ucla695
07-27-2009, 07:37 PM
I really doubt if anyone will want this PR nightmare.

:tpd: I wouldn't take a chance on a marginal QB with all of this baggage. Plus, he's been away for two year. The one thing he might have going for him is that he's hungry. :2

taltos
07-27-2009, 07:37 PM
I guess that I am on the other side of things from most of the posters in this thread. If it had only been the dogs, I could accept him coming back into the league but he financed and ran a gambling operation. This is the one thing that could destroy the credibility of the NFL if he were in a game and threw a poorly timed pick-6. I realize in the past that Paul Hornung and one of his team mates served a shorter suspension for gambling but gambling is far more pervasive now. This is the one sin that I personally am unable to forgive. I wish him well and hope that he becomes a contributing member of society but I doubt it. A couple of days after he got out and met with the Commissioner, reports are that he met with Alan Iverson and went to a titty bar. Does not sound like the rehab has gone too far.

tobii3
07-27-2009, 07:38 PM
Some of the most influential people in the world are/were reformed criminals.

That's just wonderful.

Who speaks for their victims??

Oh that's right, the victims don't get a second chance.

Starscream
07-27-2009, 08:24 PM
Second chances? What about all of the animals that never got a second chance? What about his bankrolling and producing everything about what he got nailed for? He knowingly went in to that enterprise with the intentions of causing harm and to make money at the expense of the lives of a huge number of dogs,,,,and then burying them like casual garbage. To say he has served his time is subjective at best,,,that is like telling a child to go to "time out" and then pat him on the head and saying " good boy" and go back and play and have fun. Serving time is not the equivalent of learning his lesson or bearing the consequences of those actions. Football is something I enjoy as a fan and as a player myself but when I played the game it was about who you were in association with those you played with and the man you are. Michael Vick is a person who is out for Michael Vick alone,,,not the NFL, not the fans and certainly not for those he has hurt in his lifes journey. For any person with a criminal background who wants to redeem himself in life,,,do it because you want to change yourself but not because you can be an athlete and do things on the field,,,,,this is not a barometer for who you are as a human being. A real man will change his life and behavior and "fix" that which he has broken,,,not just served time in a prison cell.

This statement is very true, but if it applies to him, it should apply to all players in the league. Why are there murderers who served a mere 90 days in prison and are still playing in the NFL, and Vick is being judged more harshly than these people? Killing dogs is nothing compared to killing humans IMHO. Not that what Vick did was right (if I had my way, none of these people would be playing right now), but if people who do worse things than Vick are still playing, then he deserves a chance to play as well.

Starscream
07-27-2009, 08:25 PM
Who speaks for their victims??

Oh that's right, the victims don't get a second chance.

I wholeheartedly agree.

taltos
07-27-2009, 08:29 PM
This statement is very true, but if it applies to him, it should apply to all players in the league. Why are there murderers who served a mere 90 days in prison and are still playing in the NFL, and Vick is being judged more harshly than these people? Killing dogs is nothing compared to killing humans IMHO. Not that what Vick did was right (if I had my way, none of these people would be playing right now), but if people who do worse things than Vick are still playing, then he deserves a chance to play as well.Maybe if Goodell was commissioner, some of these players would not have been reinstated as soon as they were under the previous commissioner.

bigloo
07-27-2009, 08:31 PM
Andy,

You are not incorrect. Guys like Little should never be allowed into the NFL. The problem is children look up to these guys, they are heroes of sorts. If you want that role and want the millions, you have to live up to those standards. Also, by saying a murderer got less time therefore Vick is OK is moving towards the lowest common denominator... we should reject both players, not except the one based on the others actions. Pro sports has no conscious and probably never will. If Vick wins a superbowl all will be forgotten, that I promise you.

Starscream
07-27-2009, 08:52 PM
Andy,

You are not incorrect. Guys like Little should never be allowed into the NFL. The problem is children look up to these guys, they are heroes of sorts. If you want that role and want the millions, you have to live up to those standards. Also, by saying a murderer got less time therefore Vick is OK is moving towards the lowest common denominator... we should reject both players, not except the one based on the others actions. Pro sports has no conscious and probably never will. If Vick wins a superbowl all will be forgotten, that I promise you.

I completely agree with that statement as well.:tu

NCRadioMan
07-27-2009, 08:58 PM

They singed Del-homy to a 3 year extension. Yay! He sucks! :r

No way he comes to Charlotte.

NCRadioMan
07-27-2009, 08:59 PM
Maybe if Goodell was commissioner, some of these players would not have been reinstated as soon as they were under the previous commissioner.

I would bet money on it.

SeanGAR
07-27-2009, 09:04 PM
Vick is a booger eating moron.

I agree that others should have been banned before him ... but I still have trouble seeing him raking in millions after what he did and would never watch him play, not even on TV in the superbowl.

Screw him.

Starscream
07-27-2009, 09:05 PM
They singed Del-homy to a 3 year extension. Yay! He sucks! :r

No way he comes to Charlotte.

:tpd:
Delhomme sucks!:mad:

blugill
07-28-2009, 05:57 AM
Andy,

You are so right!
The personal conduct policy should be revised yet again.

Cigary
07-28-2009, 01:49 PM
This statement is very true, but if it applies to him, it should apply to all players in the league. Why are there murderers who served a mere 90 days in prison and are still playing in the NFL, and Vick is being judged more harshly than these people? Killing dogs is nothing compared to killing humans IMHO. Not that what Vick did was right (if I had my way, none of these people would be playing right now), but if people who do worse things than Vick are still playing, then he deserves a chance to play as well.

Because the world is not a fair place to live,,,it's imperfect and things that are wrong will always be wrong no matter who gets to skate around the obvious. Just because somebody else is not held to the same standards and gets away with their responsibilities does not mean we just let everyone skate. All of the other people you mentioned should never have been allowed to return to football,,,,,but they were because it is a system that is flawed and you have business people who don't give a $hit about what is right or wrong,,,they only care about how much money it brings into the system. Vick is monster at best and when you say that killing dogs is nothing compared to human beings you displace the sheer act of "killing" like it is something that can be measured as to how wrong it is. Had Vick killed a human being by running a red light vs having dogs trained to kill each other means that he is responsible for each act. He does not get a "pass" for what he did. I don't see the reasoning for letting him play just because other people did worse things,,,sometimes you get justice,,,sometimes you don't and that is what we get for living in an imperfect world.

darb85
07-28-2009, 01:51 PM
Should have been banned forever. Dispicable act.

themoneycollector
07-28-2009, 02:03 PM
Should have been banned forever. Dispicable act.

:tpd: I think he should never have been reinstated IMO. You can't just take away what he did, regardless of the time he served, he just doesn't deserve to go back to the NFL.

I hope whatever team signs him gives him a pittance salary and goes through a PR nightmare so that criminals don't get signed onto their squads in the future.

shilala
07-28-2009, 02:05 PM
I got five bucks says he goes to Dallas.
There's a reason why they're the most hated team in America. They need him.
Gotta fill seats in the new 1.3 billion dollar stadium. :tu

goalie204
07-28-2009, 02:06 PM
Hi, I don't wish harm on people normally, but hope someone shanks him!

mugwump
07-28-2009, 06:30 PM
I kind of want to see him play again just to see how creative the fans can get with the abuse they'll pour down on him from the stands. Should be quite a show.