PDA

View Full Version : Who is Guillen Cigars?

AndyMadera
07-26-2009, 03:20 AM
This thread is for those of you that know me and dont know me alike. As many of you know I make cigars in Nicaragua and many of you have even smoked them. This is your chance to get to know more about me, the company, and the cigars. Feel free to ask me any questions and ill do my best to answer them. I know there are a few out there so lets hear them!!

adampc22
07-26-2009, 04:17 AM
i know u andrew dont wurry i wont forget lol

14holestogie
07-26-2009, 06:09 AM
Really enjoying the Goviado Connecticut. Great coffee companion first thing in the morning. :tu

Dunkel
07-26-2009, 06:31 AM
Do you have a website? I have tried looking around for some place to see the cigars and prices, but haven't turned up much. From what I've seen in other peoples posts you seem to be an honest and generous guy. I didn't vote as I don't know much about you.

elderboy02
07-26-2009, 07:17 AM
What is your position in the company?

:eevis
07-26-2009, 07:51 AM
Hi Andrew, haven't had a chance to meet ya, but I was wondering how you got into the buisness? I would imagine that it is quite an experience.

kelmac07
07-26-2009, 08:53 AM
Andrew...I have tried twice to obtain your Reserva Miraflor sticks and both times, we started dialogue...and then you just ignored me. What gives??

AndyMadera
07-26-2009, 02:02 PM
Andrew...I have tried twice to obtain your Reserva Miraflor sticks and both times, we started dialogue...and then you just ignored me. What gives??

This is something that would have been nice to see in a PM. My last PM from you was on the 14th, that same day I had sent you a few PM with continued Dialogue. I hardly think that constitutes ignoring someone. I would gladly get you the toros and if you would do a search of my threads I am always with something going on for sale. I even have one up for a Ten Toro Sampler that is listed in my signature. I have lots of PMs that come in and out every day and i can loose track of them if dialogue is not contiued on both sides. I apologize that we lost communications there. Some days I send up to 30 PMs/emails between all the places I visit and my 2 email accounts I used for communicating with shops/distributors/factory/reps and so on. If you are interested please check out the link in my signature for the Toros. If anyone else is in the same situation as Kelmac07 as in we lost communication through PMs please send me a reminder I will get back to you. Im sure Kelmac07 isnt the only one this has happened to but please dont assume that I forgot you or dont care. You are all important to me and the success of Guillen Cigars.

Andy

Wolfgang
07-26-2009, 02:05 PM
I love RMF and Andy is an upstanding guy. I highly recommend having some of the line.

kelmac07
07-26-2009, 02:09 PM
This is something that would have been nice to see in a PM. My last PM from you was on the 14th, that same day I had sent you a few PM with continued Dialogue. I hardly think that constitutes ignoring someone. I would gladly get you the toros and if you would do a search of my threads I am always with something going on for sale. I even have one up for a Ten Toro Sampler that is listed in my signature. I have lots of PMs that come in and out every day and i can loose track of them if dialogue is not contiued on both sides. I apologize that we lost communications there. Some days I send up to 30 PMs/emails between all the places I visit and my 2 email accounts I used for communicating with shops/distributors/factory/reps and so on. If you are interested please check out the link in my signature for the Toros. If anyone else is in the same situation as Kelmac07 as in we lost communication through PMs please send me a reminder I will get back to you. Im sure Kelmac07 isnt the only one this has happened to but please dont assume that I forgot you or dont care. You are all important to me and the success of Guillen Cigars.

Andy

Andy...my apologies for not sending this in a PM. Not meaning to stir up anything at all...stuff happens, PMs lost, etc. Still looking to get a fiver of the Reserva Miraflor only...robustos/toros. My intent was not to sound as though you didn't care...far from the case. Thanks for the response.

flat6nut
07-26-2009, 02:15 PM
bookman, RockonBigB, VirtualSmitty...

Perhaps you guys should check to see if it is a public poll before showing your true colors.

flat6nut
07-26-2009, 02:16 PM
I was gifted one of your cigars along with a few others by TripleF. I actually liked the cigar, but do not know much about them. I am guessing they are relatively new?

AndyMadera
07-26-2009, 02:17 PM
Do you have a website? I have tried looking around for some place to see the cigars and prices, but haven't turned up much. From what I've seen in other peoples posts you seem to be an honest and generous guy. I didn't vote as I don't know much about you.

Option 3: No, but would like to applies to you then! hehe. Thank you for the post and to those who have posted in the past that you have found. I had a frontpage to the website up but its down now as it was on my brothers server and he doesn't have it anymore. I have a few people from the CA crew that have offered to help me set one up and it should be running before IPCPR which is Aug 8th. I dont really know anything about this kinda thing so the help will be greatly appreciated.

I will be sure to post the site up here as soon as it is ready to go but the domain will be www.guillencigars.com

Thanks for the question and I hope to be able to answer any more that you may have.

awsmith4
07-26-2009, 02:23 PM

Perhaps you guys should check to see if it is a public poll before showing your true colors.

To be fair the option was given for them to respond honestly. As a company not everyone is going to like you or care about you. That dosen't mean Andy and I are gonna call it quits and stop selling cigars. The great thing about a group as large as the asylum is that you can get a feel for many different opinions not just positive. Without both positive AND negative feedback a company can never grow.

AndyMadera
07-26-2009, 02:28 PM

Perhaps you guys should check to see if it is a public poll before showing your true colors. .

I dont think so, its a poll and all honest opinions are welcome. I didnt realize when i made the thread that everyone would see the results... There is nothing wrong about NOT wanting to know about something or a company. The way the poll is worded the only dislike would be Option 2, saying yes they know us but dont like us. But even then that is a fair answer. I personally dont care for some companies either in the cigar industry or any other. But thanks just the same for sticking up for me :tu

As to your question, Yes we are a pretty new company. I will answer one of the other questions here about how we got into the biz. Its quite a long story but it will be up here in a few minutes.

AndyMadera
07-26-2009, 03:28 PM
Hi Andrew, haven't had a chance to meet ya, but I was wondering how you got into the buisness? I would imagine that it is quite an experience.

I met a good friend named Rafael Guillen at MHCC college in August 2005. He was one of the newest students to pass through a scholarship program funded by US AID called CASS. every year they bring in a group of central American and Caribbean students who speak little or no english. I had been involved with this program since 2001. It was a great way for me to meet new people from new places and at the same time share with them about our country and our language.

I spent alot of time with Rafael through out his 2 years studying natural resources and english. I was always there to help them learn some new words and practice what they already know. I was also picking up spanish little by little by listening in!! took me 5 years to get to the level im at now but I would easily say I have I higher spanish vocabulary that an 5 year old native speaker. Through our time together I also got to know about the students lives back in their home countries. Being I was good friends with rafael I grew really interested in what his family was doing and their history with tobacco and cigars. They had been working in fields and rolling from a very young age and grew a real passion for the work that they did.

In 2007 when it was time for Rafael to return home I went with him to meet his family. I had done the same thing in 2005 and took a 40 day tour from Guatemala - Panama visiting all the students and experiencing life as they know it. At times I crossed borders with hardly any money in my pocket not knowing when I would get more being travelers checks are not ass accepted as one would think... It was a hassle and a little scarey crossing with less than even 1$ from Guatemala to Honduras. In my 2007 visit however I was there with a mission. To meet his family and see what the possibilities were on making their dreams come true. To produce cigars for themselves. In Sept 2007 our business licenses and permission to produce and export were granted. It has been a tuff road so far working on limited resources and even more so... LIMITED EXPERIENCE. I have made a few mistakes and have learned from them. We also have taken a few lumps from people in the industry who wanted to do business with us and it ended up not working out in our favor... It wasnt until February 2009 that we started pushing cigars to retail. Before that it was just making cigars for a private company. Currently Reserva Miraflor is available in 13 states retail and a few stores in each state and Goviado in just 2 states as it is a newer blend and we have not pushed it as much, that is soon to change.

I have spent most of my time here on CA and been here since it was created and on CS for about a month before that. I was also a part of a few other forums for about a year before that trying to spark interest but didnt get anywhere near the support I have gotten here. I know there is much more detail I have not mentioned here that many of you may know already but keep in touch and you will learn more and more. And get to know me personally more and more. Thank you all for the questions I enjoy answering them.

MajorCaptSilly
07-26-2009, 03:33 PM
Good thread. Thanks for giving us some background, Andy. I'm looking forward to the Toro sampler you offered up.

MCS

AndyMadera
07-26-2009, 03:52 PM
What is your position in the company?

I do prettymuch everything that isnt directly involved in making the cigars. I do tell them how much of what I want and they make it. But i work on design, what is produced, arranging shipping, making sure taxes are paid, finding customers, managing reps, and finances... I do so much more though I end up putting in 18 hour days all the time. The hardest part is communicating with all the people as I had mentioned in a previous post. One of the hardest parts is working with limited inventory as well, budgeting where each cigar needs to go and for how much it is going to sell for, and what product to use as samples... It is really stressful but I am confident we will make it if we just hang in there.

AndyMadera
07-26-2009, 03:55 PM
Good thread. Thanks for giving us some background, Andy. I'm looking forward to the Toro sampler you offered up.

MCS

I think tomorrow you will be feeling it even more once you have them in your hands!!!

USPS - 01038555749783494444

icehog3
07-26-2009, 04:42 PM

True colors?

Andrew posted a poll and asked for opinions...if he didn't want to hear about people with opinion #4, he wouldn't have put it in the poll.

I smoke probably 400 cigars a year. Maybe 2 or 3 of them are non-Cuban, so if I were to vote, it would be "No, don't care", because I really don't care about NC cigars....just my opinion, my personal preference. But I might get called out if I say that? Thick skin is not a bad thing. :2

zemekone
07-27-2009, 12:09 AM
True colors?

Andrew posted a poll and asked for opinions...if he didn't want to hear about people with opinion #4, he wouldn't have put it in the poll.

I smoke probably 400 cigars a year. Maybe 2 or 3 of them are non-Cuban, so if I were to vote, it would be "No, don't care", because I really don't care about NC cigars....just my opinion, my personal preference. But I might get called out if I say that? Thick skin is not a bad thing. :2

:tpd: if your gonna get hurt feelings dont post the option...

AndyMadera
07-27-2009, 12:37 AM
:tpd: if your gonna get hurt feelings dont post the option...

No hurt feelings, I posted it because I wanted to know... its not negetive for them to say they are not interested. Lets leave it at that. Feel free to ask me anymore questions about me, the guillen family or the company!!! thats what this thread was really made for! :fu

poker
07-27-2009, 06:48 AM
I edited the poll so all the votes are anonymous.

mmblz
07-27-2009, 11:51 AM

thank god - now I can vote "Don't Care"
:r

sodomanaz
07-27-2009, 12:59 PM

honestly, it's sad it even got called out. It's not about having thick skin when you are running a business, it's seeing where you lie with your potential clients. We all try to play uber nice on this forum, but jesus, come on now, posting names who post negative responses? come on now.....

MajorCaptSilly
07-27-2009, 01:06 PM
Got my Toro sampler today. Looking forward to trying these.

MCS

TheTraveler
07-27-2009, 02:18 PM
I'm glad you found CA and I wish you good fortune in the cigar business. :tu

I'm gonna have to jump on one of those samplers when you offer them again. :)

See you around the boards and in chat Andy.

wayner123
07-27-2009, 02:21 PM
Who makes up Guillen cigars? And what is each person's role?

wayner123
07-27-2009, 02:31 PM
Also how do you pronounce the name Guillen?

AndyMadera
07-27-2009, 03:40 PM
Who makes up Guillen cigars? And what is each person's role?

the Guillen (Ghee yen) family is made up of...

first name/nickname
Rafael (Payo) - General Manger
Pulio - leaf expert/quality control
Jesus (Chungo) Master Blender

also not involved with the production of the cigars is
Daniel - mechanic/handyman
Delfina - Accounting
Leonel - he works for a non-profit environmental agency

kydsid
07-27-2009, 03:51 PM
Ya know when you get a website set up this will make an excellent FAQ section. ;)

Can you ellaborate more, without violating non-disclosure agreements, the manufacturers the Guillen family has produced tobacoo or cigars for?

AndyMadera
07-27-2009, 04:02 PM
Ya know when you get a website set up this will make an excellent FAQ section. ;)

Can you ellaborate more, without violating non-disclosure agreements, the manufacturers the Guillen family has produced tobacoo or cigars for?

we made cigars for a small company that then sold them to other companies. many of the cigars ended up as house blends. It wasnt much but it was enough to keep us in business. it probably wouldnt have been any of the shops you visit, nor do I know all the shops they went to.

The Poet
07-27-2009, 04:36 PM
I do not know these cigars, Andy, and only know you from the posts I've read on here. I cannot say I do not care since I do smoke NCs, but as most of my favorites are Hondurans I will say my curiosity is unlikely to move me to seek out your product just to satisify an itch for "theoretical" knowledge - especially as my cigar budget is too tight for experimentation. But by your posts I get the impression you are an upstanding gentleman, so I do wish you and your company all success.

AndyMadera
07-27-2009, 05:26 PM
I do not know these cigars, Andy, and only know you from the posts I've read on here. I cannot say I do not care since I do smoke NCs, but as most of my favorites are Hondurans I will say my curiosity is unlikely to move me to seek out your product just to satisify an itch for "theoretical" knowledge - especially as my cigar budget is too tight for experimentation. But by your posts I get the impression you are an upstanding gentleman, so I do wish you and your company all success.

Thank you, its good to hear.

Dooge
07-28-2009, 06:19 PM
yes, heard of them. Yes, like them.

BlackDog
07-28-2009, 07:00 PM
I'm not familiar with Guillen cigars, but based upon the comments in this and other threads, I think I'm missing something good. I'll have to get some soon.

jovenhut
07-28-2009, 07:15 PM
I had the priviledge to smoke all of these different brands with Andy and I can say you wont be disappointed. My favorites are the Miraflor Lancero and the Unnamed "Sampler" cigar. My wife really enjoyed the Casa Pineda. Andy is a Great BOTL!

Aldebaran
07-28-2009, 07:16 PM
I'll have to get my hands on some of these soon. Just need money ha! Well it may be weeks before I can try one but you are on my shortlist to try.

Ranger_B
07-28-2009, 08:02 PM
Had not heard of your company/cigars until recently when I found some posts here. I look forward to trying some. Great idea with the poll. Seeing that no one has said that they had heard and didnt care for your product has got to say something.

AndyMadera
07-28-2009, 08:11 PM
Thanks all for the positive words and your interest. My main reason for opening this thread was more of a Q & A thing to give you all a chance to ask any questions you might have about us as individuals or as a company. All questions are welcome!

Andy

Don Francisco
07-29-2009, 06:11 AM
Where are you located in the D.R. I have to go there again Aug. 14-18, maybe we could hook up.

AndyMadera
07-29-2009, 11:57 AM
Where are you located in the D.R. I have to go there again Aug. 14-18, maybe we could hook up.

I am actually in Portland at the moment and have been here a while. My Fiance is Dominican and lives in Santiago where you are most likely going to be working in the cigar industry and all... Have you ever been there? I know my way around pretty well now.

Emjaysmash
07-29-2009, 12:16 PM
Question; How many fingers am I holding up?

Ha. Real question: Are all your blends Nicaraguan Puros or so some of them have other elements as well?

Don Fernando
07-29-2009, 12:18 PM

One, my middle finger :p

Don Francisco
07-29-2009, 12:42 PM
I am actually in Portland at the moment and have been here a while. My Fiance is Dominican and lives in Santiago where you are most likely going to be working in the cigar industry and all... Have you ever been there? I know my way around pretty well now.

I know Santiago well, can't count how many times I've been there. I have dealings there, Tamboril, and Navarette. I own a farm in Piedra Blanca - Maimon and another in La Vega. I also have my residence in Santo Domingo.

awsmith4
07-29-2009, 12:49 PM

Ha. Real question: Are all your blends Nicaraguan Puros or so some of them have other elements as well?

The Reserva Miraflor, Goviado Black, and Don Fernando are all Nicaraguan puros. The Goviado Blue, Casa Pineda, and Don Payo are Nicaraguan filler and binder with an Ecuadorian Connecticut wrapper

Emjaysmash
07-29-2009, 12:57 PM
The Reserva Miraflor, Goviado Black, and Don Fernando are all Nicaraguan puros. The Goviado Blue, Casa Pineda, and Don Payo are Nicaraguan filler and binder with an Ecuadorian Connecticut wrapper

Thanks AL!

AndyMadera
07-29-2009, 01:07 PM
I know Santiago well, can't count how many times I've been there. I have dealings there, Tamboril, and Navarette. I own a farm in Piedra Blanca - Maimon and another in La Vega. I also have my residence in Santo Domingo.

So maybe it will be me having to visit YOU some day!

AndyMadera
07-29-2009, 01:09 PM

That is correct, as Albert has pointed out, that all our blends so far use 100% nicaraguan expect where there is a EC conny.

itsme_timd
07-29-2009, 01:17 PM
I know Albert (awsmith4) from our local cigar club and he was nice enough to share some of the Reserva Miraflor cigars with us at our 1st Anniversary herf. I smoked one at the herf and enjoyed it a lot. Had minor issues with the burn but I'm pretty sure that was caused by the hurricane-strength fan that was 3 feet from me. :D

I had a couple more cigars when I left and I've shared them with a some BOTL on other forums so they could try them. I'm also curious to try some of your other lines.

Best of luck!

JE3146
07-29-2009, 05:37 PM
I might have had one of andy's cigars once or twice. :tu
I
Website will be coming soon once I get back. :)
Posted via Mobile Device

Bill86
05-19-2011, 02:07 AM
No

mariogolbee
05-19-2011, 02:20 AM
Wow, this is an old thread. I voted anyway! Now what in the world is eyecoin talking about?

NCRadioMan
05-19-2011, 05:32 AM
I see i'm a little late to the conversation but I find it a little strange people are bragging about smoking so many Cubans. That is like bragging about drinking Budweiser when you live in the north west and access to endless micro brews.

All my Cubans sit untouched in my humidor. The best Cuban I ever had was a 1992 Partagas Lusitania Cabinet. Other than that, nothing stands out.

Many people I know all in the cigar manufacturing business rarely find Cubans interesting. It seems the more you really know, and get involved in cigar production, tobacco farming etc, the more you realize Cubans in the last 20 years are generally garbage.

Nice first post. :rolleyes:

Are you always this snobbish or is this your normal, sunny, disposition? I have a feeling the Cuban cigar industry, like Bud, will somehow go on without you.

Smoke what you like and like what you smoke.

Trent0341
05-19-2011, 09:18 AM
Andy,
I know this is an old thread but I'm curious to hear how things are going almost two years later. I thought the story of how you got started was great.

rizzle
05-19-2011, 09:36 AM
Aren't they finito?

whodeeni
05-19-2011, 12:08 PM
Aren't they finito?

I'm sure albert will chime in at some point!