PDA

View Full Version : Do all cigars taste like **** after relighting?

Bryan
07-24-2009, 07:42 PM
I occasionally smoke half a cigar and put it out. I then will come back to it after a few hours or sometimes, even the next day. I always notice they don't taste as good. Is this normal? Is there a proper way to relight after they sat around for a extended length of time?

thanks. :dance:

hotreds
07-24-2009, 07:45 PM
Unless it's within a few minutes- cigar is kaput!

pnoon
07-24-2009, 07:45 PM
I occasionally smoke half a cigar and put it out. I then will come back to it after a few hours or sometimes, even the next day. I always notice they don't taste as good. Is this normal? Is there a proper way to relight after they sat around for a extended length of time?

Relighting after a few hours (and definfitely the next day) is bound to taste like crap. The only proper way is to pitch it and light a fresh one.

If only an hour or two, you could try purging the cigar (after it goes out, blow gently thru the stick to push out any lingering smoke). Aside from that, there isn't much you can do.

MedicCook
07-24-2009, 07:46 PM
The few times I have tried to re-lite a cigar after it sitting for an hour+ it was never a good experience.

GreekGodX
07-24-2009, 07:50 PM
Yes.
Simple.
Easy.
Painless.
Get a new cigar out of the humi :D

darkninja67
07-24-2009, 07:54 PM
Always make the time to sit and enjoy a cigar. They turn real stale if you try to relight after some time.

BC-Axeman
07-24-2009, 08:46 PM
Yep. Toss it. Sometimes you can purge it and cut it back behind anything burnt. Then if you get back to it within a couple of hours, you may be OK. Some great cigars have been lost this way. /cue sad bugle tune/

acruce
07-24-2009, 08:53 PM
Maybe try a smaller cigar that doesn't take a long time to smoke.That way you can avoid having to put it out.Save the bigger ones for when you have ample time to enjoy it.:2

Skywalker
07-24-2009, 08:53 PM
Yep. Toss it. Sometimes you can purge it and cut it back behind anything burnt. Then if you get back to it within a couple of hours, you may be OK. Some great cigars have been lost this way. /cue sad bugle tune/

And for goodness sake never put one back in the humi once it has gone out!!!:2

SilverFox
07-24-2009, 08:58 PM
And for goodness sake never put one back in the humi once it has gone out!!!:2

Someone would do that?

Isnt that kinda like putting half a peace of toast back in the bread bag?

lightning9191
07-24-2009, 08:59 PM
Maybe try a smaller cigar that doesn't take a long time to smoke.That way you can avoid having to put it out.Save the bigger ones for when you have ample time to enjoy it.:2

:tpd: There are tons of good little smokes out there and save the bigger ones for when you know you have time to savor them.

Wolfgang
07-24-2009, 09:02 PM
Happens to me occasionally. I will re-light purge then let it sit untill its about to go out. then purge again and smoke. Some times works, sometimes doesn't.

MedicCook
07-24-2009, 09:07 PM
Someone would do that?

Isnt that kinda like putting half a peace of toast back in the bread bag?

You just gave me a great idea for a prank. :D

Wolfgang
07-24-2009, 09:10 PM
Not just toasted toast, burnt beyond recognition toast.

ucla695
07-24-2009, 09:31 PM
Yes, rarely a good thing. The only advice I have besides pitching the cigar is to light it and purge it (a lot) and hope for the best.

St. Lou Stu
07-24-2009, 09:32 PM
I agree.... I had to let my Mag 50 go out very early into it tonight for something far more important.... It just didn't finish the same... :(

Old Sailor
07-24-2009, 09:35 PM
I agree.... I had to let my Mag 50 go out very early into it tonight for something far more important.... It just didn't finish the same... :(

:hm:hm:D

shilala
07-24-2009, 09:39 PM
A friend of mine taught me to purge my cigar BEFORE I let it go out.
Now, every time I set my cigar down I blow all the smoke from it before I set it down, just in case it goes out and I can't get back to it for some reason.
I can pick it up the next day and relight it and it tastes just like it did before it went out. I've picked them up days later when I left them in the shed, and they're fine.
It's one of the greatest cigar tricks I've ever learned, and it was a kid that taught me cause he used to do it with his cigarettes.
It's saved a lot of good cigars that would have been wasted. :tu

G G
07-25-2009, 06:40 AM
Thanks for that info Scott.:tu

Steve
07-25-2009, 07:00 AM
Now, every time I set my cigar down I blow all the smoke from it before I set it down, just in case it goes out and I can't get back to it for some reason.
I can pick it up the next day and relight it and it tastes just like it did before it went out. I've picked them up days later when I left them in the shed, and they're fine.
It's one of the greatest cigar tricks I've ever learned, and it was a kid that taught me cause he used to do it with his cigarettes.

I've done this with success before as well. It's never as good as it was fresh, but...

shilala
07-25-2009, 08:18 AM
I've done this with success before as well. It's never as good as it was fresh, but...
...it doesn't taste like a wet ashtray. :D

SmokinApe
07-25-2009, 08:50 AM
I have seen many people do it... I have a neighbor who claims to have smoked a Churchill on three different days...

streetglide
07-25-2009, 09:25 AM
Thats a good trick. Have to try it sometime. Thanks :tu

The Poet
07-25-2009, 10:29 AM
That pre-purge sounds interesting. As I have no life, I have no problem finishing a cigar, but I need keep this in mind, just in case. On topic, a friend gave me a "Cigar Savor" some years back - a hard plastic tube that supposedly "saves" an unfinished smoke. I have never used it, but if anyone here has I would be interested in hearing your experience.

:ss

GoldnGT
07-25-2009, 10:39 AM
I've seen them at the local shops, but never tried one. I'd be interested in if it works as well. I've done the pre-purge many times with success, but you sometimes get the bad apple that you can't pre purge and pick up later.

shilala
07-25-2009, 12:27 PM
...but you sometimes get the bad apple that you can't pre purge and pick up later.
If it's really humid out or raining and I leave a purged cigar in the ashtray and come back to it the next day, there's nothing gonna save that poor sucker. :)

shilala
07-25-2009, 12:34 PM
One more thing I can say about purging (blowing all the smoke out of my cigar often) is that it helps keep the cigar cool. The cooler I keep the cigar, the better it tastes.
When I smoke real fast, it just seems to ruin a cigar for me. It's taken a long time to slow down and learn to let the cigar tell me how to smoke it.
When I purge often, like when I set my cigar down, I usually get to smoke the whole cigar without it going south in the last 1/3rd.
I think it helps avoid the buildup of burned up squank that makes the last third taste like the skids in Mean D's skivvies.

Aldebaran
07-25-2009, 02:31 PM
Don't think I've ever relit if it has been out more than a half hour or so and even then it tastes a bit different.

Homebrewer
07-25-2009, 07:20 PM
I purge and resmoke all the time. Don't waste that stogie! It might not be the same, but be a trooper.

kelmac07
07-25-2009, 08:41 PM
I have tried this twice...and both times were unsuccessful. I dislike that ashy taste and ended up tossing both sticks, and lit a new one.

RGD.
07-25-2009, 08:43 PM
I relight all the time. Sometimes they are purged before going out - sometimes not. In any case I knock off as much ash as possible - use a soft flame to heat and light with out drawing on it at first. After it's lit - I gently blow out a few times and then let it set for a minute. Then continue smoking as normal.

If the smoke is more than half way done, I normally toss them.

Been doing this out of habit now for over 30 years.

Ron

floydpink
07-25-2009, 08:48 PM
I keep a cigar outside in my work smoking area and smoke it and let it go out and repeat about 5 times throughout my day every day.

GHC_Hambone
07-25-2009, 08:51 PM
When I first started smoking cigars, I tried a few times to relight them the next day. Never could enjoy them after sitting that long. I can smoke a cigar that just went out and it tastes fine, but after sitting a while I just can't do it.

sodomanaz
07-26-2009, 02:47 AM

Only one cure: Buy smaller cigars.

BlackDog
07-26-2009, 10:11 AM
If I am coming back to the cigar within a couple hours I'll purge it, knock the ash off, and let it go out. Cut it back when you're going to light it. Trying to do it overnight never works well.

mugzy
07-26-2009, 11:09 AM
I have tried to cut off a bit and let teh cigar sit overnight however its never near the same ..

Cigary
07-26-2009, 11:54 AM

Been doing this for years as I smoke mostly churchill size cigars. Every once in awhile I will be interrupted and have to put the cigar down but before I do I will purge a couple of times and then make a clean cut of the burnt end about a 3/4 of an inch and I'm good to go after that. Will pick it up the next day without any appreciable degredation of the quality of the cigar.

Starscream
07-27-2009, 06:10 AM
I think it helps avoid the buildup of burned up squank that makes the last third taste like the skids in Mean D's skivvies.

Thanks for putting that picture in my head, Scott.:(

Caymus
07-27-2009, 08:55 PM
I was going through a period where I just didn't have the time time to finish an hour+ cigar. I bought a bunch of smaller ones (petite coronas, AF Hemingway short story, mini-belicosos, etc) and I think they fill a valuable role. Now I have cigars in sizes to match my mood and opportunity.

joed
07-27-2009, 09:11 PM
yeap

without fail

jjirons69
07-28-2009, 09:11 AM
As many have said...purge, purge, purge. It'll get better, especially if the cigar hasn't been out very long.