PDA

View Full Version : New Cigar from Illusione

D_A
07-21-2009, 08:57 AM
Nosotros, made by Drew Estate (http://www.cigaraficionado.com/Cigar/CA_Features/CA_Feature_Basic_Template/0,2344,2824,00.html) :confused:

uptown_isy
07-21-2009, 09:25 AM
Good for Dion in going with Drew. Knowing Drew and what their capable of, I think this will be a great stick. Their quality control is second to none.

darkninja67
07-21-2009, 09:38 AM
Anyone think they look like a couple of gang members rolling cigars in the backyard?
I hope this new line is good. I like the one Illusione I have had.

Mark
07-21-2009, 10:28 AM
I didn't believe it when I saw the post, but I guess its true!

Drew estate certainly has great quality control, but I have never had a DE that I have liked. Hopefully this will change my feelings towards the company!

bigloo
07-21-2009, 10:35 AM
I think the Liga Privada is delicious and the Chateau Real has always been a favorite in the mornings for me. This will probably be very very good.

vankleekkw
07-21-2009, 10:40 AM
The Liga was a real shocker for me. It wasn't a thing like I was expecting. I think that they are priced way too high for what you get though.

Clampdown
07-21-2009, 10:42 AM
For the most part I think of DE and their crappy cigars as a complete joke. Good luck to them on them in the future though.

skibumdc
07-21-2009, 10:58 AM
It's a strange move. I would have chosen a better name to use as a larger manufacturing plant....oh well.

Hopefully they don't wind up tasting like the flavored sticks

adampc22
07-21-2009, 11:26 AM
For the most part I think of DE and their crappy cigars as a complete joke. Good luck to them on them in the future though.

the cigars may be crappy but thay sell millions of them and thay are getting very big

kelmac07
07-21-2009, 11:39 AM
I have seen this...and must say, I am very curious to try one!!

uptown_isy
07-21-2009, 11:40 AM
Very true Adam....say what you want about Drew, ACIDs are the #1 selling cigar right now. Remember who was first for many years? Macanudo! While I don't smoke ACIDs, Drew has brought many people into the cigar culture by introducing them to ACIDs. Some are still smoking ACIDs, and some have moved on to other smokes. But Drew has done a lot for the industry in bringing in new smokers.

Mr. Ed
07-21-2009, 05:32 PM
La Vieja Habana the Early Years Silencio is a great smoke by Drew Estate. Illusione, meh, haven't been too impressed recently.

Ratters
07-21-2009, 10:09 PM
Yep, The Early Years was a great smoke for the money. And yes, I've never seen a DE cigar with a bad roll. Interested to see what they'll come up with.

Skywalker
07-21-2009, 10:17 PM
Sign me up to try 'em!!!:tu

T.G
07-21-2009, 10:45 PM
Here's the full text of the article for those interested:

--BEGIN

DREW ESTATE TO MAKE NEW ILLUSIONE
By Gregory Mottola from Cigar Insider 7/7/09
For the first time in the history of Drew Estate, the company best known for making infused and flavored cigars will be making a non-flavored, premium national brand for a third party—namely Dion Giolito, the man behind illusione cigars.

The new illusione Nosotros, which translates to “us” in Spanish, refers to the collaboration between Giolito and Drew Estate founder Jonathan Drew. While this is not Drew Estate’s first foray into the world of non-infused premium cigars (Chateau Real, Liga Privada No. 9), this is the first time that Drew Estate will be making a traditional premium mark for someone else. “Moving into the traditional market for us was a real challenge because many cigar smokers had a preconceived notion about Drew Estate,” said Jonathan Drew. “They thought of us as the ACID guys or the infusion guys. It was really the opening of our factory Gran Fabrica Drew Estate that moved us towards all areas of tobacco, including the non-flavored traditional market.” Giolito, who has all three of his brands made at the same factory in Honduras, had been seeking a new factory since 2007 in hopes of diversifying his brand portfolio. “Originally, Cruzado was supposed to made in the Joya de Nicaragua factory,” said Giolito. “I went down to the factory in December of 2007 and blended a cigar. At about that time, Drew Estate went into negotiations to distribute the Joya de Nicaragua brand. Subsequently, I wasn’t part of the deal and got kicked to the curb. No biggie.” According to Giolito, Drew approached him the following year at the 2008 IPCPR trade show and invited him to the Drew Estate factory in Nicaragua to brainstorm.

“Quite honestly, I had no intention of making a brand for anyone or with anyone,” said Drew. “Then I met Dion and my attitude changed. It is well known that I have been a personal consumer of his brands, but I knew nothing about the man who made them, other than his avant-garde marketing and conspiracy theory rhetoric. I also knew that the tobaccos in his brands came from well-celebrated farms in Nicaragua controlled by Aganorsa…I pursued working with Dion because his vision is original and raw. He understands that a great-tasting cigar need not be jam packed with ligero.” Drew said he has set up a “micro-factory” within his factory dedicated solely to the construction of illusione Nosotros cigars. It was designed to reflect the spirit of the brand with Nosotros murals on the walls and rollers wearing branded T-shirts.

Nosotros will be introduced at this year’s trade show and will come in eight sizes:
Corona 4 x 46
Corona Larga 6 x46
Robusto 5 x 50
Robusto Larga 5 ½ x 54
Toro, 6 x 52
“660” 6 x 60
Torpedo 6 ½ x 54
Churchill 7 x 48

Although prices have yet to be officially determined, the brand will retail in the range of approximately $7.95 to $11.95 per cigar and, unlike other illusione brands, will be available to Internet and catalog vendors. The brand draws its flavors from a Nicaraguan Corojo ’99 wrapper, Nicaraguan filler, and Connecticut Habano binder grown in Connecticut.

“I’ve never used these filler and binder tobaccos before, and they create a flavor profile that I crave but seldom get to smoke,” Giolito said. “Spicy and clean on the palate with richness and power that really sneaks up on you. The blend is well out of my comfort zone and very nonpareil to my other lines. As it turned out, the first combination of tobaccos that we experimented with wound up being the final blend.”

--END

Link to rehosted press release in pdf format
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=56B8ASED

Anyway, I can't wait to try this cigar as I like how both Dion and Jonathan blend their cigars (Jon's traditional stuff that is - not an ACID fan, but I do respect the cigars).

SmokinApe
07-22-2009, 07:53 PM
It's a strange move. I would have chosen a better name to use as a larger manufacturing plant....oh well.

Hopefully they don't wind up tasting like the flavored sticks

I disagree, I think that would be something intriguing about a cigar that tasted like bacon or Miller Lite... :2

Not that the current flavored cigars taste like that...

KidRock
07-22-2009, 08:16 PM
I disagree, I think that would be something intriguing about a cigar that tasted like bacon or Miller Lite... :2

Not that the current flavored cigars taste like that...

Miller lite taste nothing like bacon :fu

SmokinApe
07-22-2009, 08:22 PM
Miller lite taste nothing like bacon :fu

Yeah, but it's the two great tastes that taste great together...

itsme_timd
07-22-2009, 08:28 PM
I'm very excited about this cigar!

I've never tried an illusione that I didn't like and if you try some of DE's non-infused sticks they are excellent as well - the Liga Privada #9 is a great smoke.

I know a lot of people that wouldn't touch the LP9 because it was a Drew Estate stick and they can't get past the idea of those darn Acids. I think these 2 guys have a lot of potential in making a stick together. I guess we'll see....

McLovin
07-23-2009, 07:40 AM
I'm sure this will be a hit like the privadas. Dion has some great taste in tobacco. I'm still looking to try that cuchillos (?) cigar. One thing I also admire about him is the release of the smaller cigars. (tres petit, PC's...). I hate it when a cigar is released in nothing but a robusto or larger.

Skywalker
07-25-2009, 10:35 PM
Dion handed me one when I visited his shop!!!

I can't wait to try it!!!:tu

kaisersozei
07-26-2009, 09:44 AM
I'm very interested in trying these. I love the illusione line and have respect for what Jonathon Drew has done with his business. An intriguing combination...

heavyd
01-18-2010, 11:33 AM
Has anyone heard more about a release date for Nosotros?

Adriftpanda
01-18-2010, 11:41 AM

I heard March now but who knows. It was suppose to be November but now I guess it could be sometimes in March.

NCRadioMan
01-18-2010, 11:42 AM

The official worldwide release is scheduled for April 23rd at Empire Cigars in Raleigh, NC.

elderboy02
01-18-2010, 11:43 AM

How was it?

Skywalker
01-18-2010, 12:25 PM

How was it?

It was delicious!!!

The review is posted here:
http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=19922

itsme_timd
01-18-2010, 12:53 PM
I asked Dion on Twitter a few days ago and he said these will release in March.

papichulo
03-01-2010, 01:48 PM
Like the rest of us I am anxious. If they can blend the MK and T-52 then game on-(P

wayner123
03-01-2010, 01:54 PM
Not to start the whole argument up again, but it seems he, himself has been drinking the koolaid. Wanting to go with No. 1 in sales to get "out there"?

papichulo
03-01-2010, 02:06 PM
Hmmm, perhaps, but if he can maintain the quality of his lines he will go far. I find his quality in the standard line close to Padron.

TheRiddick
03-01-2010, 02:46 PM
... and, unlike other illusione brands, will be available to Internet and catalog vendors...

HUH!?

T.G
03-01-2010, 09:18 PM
Yeah, I know, kind of odd that they would write that into a press release when the rest of the illusione line and the cruzado line are both available all over the net already.

*shrug*