PDA

View Full Version : Some advice please :)

systm
07-20-2009, 09:51 AM
I just won a 5 Vegas Limitada '08 Belicoso (6.2" x 52) - Box of 25 on CI via the MMO. I want to take out 5 and leave them in my humi, but what would be the best way to store these guys, should I leave them in the box or put them all in my humi?
Here's A link for those that wanna check it out. (http://www.cigarsinternational.com/proddisp.asp?item=CS-5UA&stext=5%20Vegas)

grawk
07-20-2009, 09:54 AM
I'd think with a box like that, you'd want to take them out of the box and put them in the humi, unless you have room to have the box open inside the humi.

PeteSB75
07-20-2009, 09:55 AM
I just won a 5 Vegas Limitada '08 Belicoso (6.2" x 52) - Box of 25 on CI via the MMO. I want to take out 5 and leave them in my humi, but what would be the best way to store these guys, should I leave them in the box or put them all in my humi?
Here's A link for those that wanna check it out. (http://www.cigarsinternational.com/proddisp.asp?item=CS-5UA&stext=5%20Vegas)

Just throw the box in. I've got a box of 06 Limitadas that have been sitting in a cooler since I got them about 2 years ago. You might get a little out-gassing from the varnish/paint on the box for the first day or so after you unwrap it, but after that it will be fine. In general, the way I receive them is the way I store them.

NCRadioMan
07-20-2009, 10:02 AM
Just throw the box in. I've got a box of 06 Limitadas that have been sitting in a cooler since I got them about 2 years ago. You might get a little out-gassing from the varnish/paint on the box for the first day or so after you unwrap it, but after that it will be fine. In general, the way I receive them is the way I store them.
:tpd: If you have room, why not put the box in the humidor if you don't want to use the ashtray lid. You don't need to have the "box" open. Less air exchange is always best but with that, I imagine you would get quite a bit anyway.

mrreindeer
07-20-2009, 10:09 AM
I'm with Chutney Lovebusciut (hi Greg) on the 'use the ashtray' part. Why not take 'em out and keep the ashtray for your use while smoking!

Dunkel
07-20-2009, 10:17 AM
So you're the no good so and so that won them! LOL Congrats!

kydsid
07-20-2009, 10:20 AM
If you can fit the thing sure why not but it's huge. There isn't any box inside of the ceramic bottom and ashtray top it is just a cedar partition sitting on top of the first row. I would say the whole thing is 12" x 12" x 8".

BTW what was the winning bid?

systm
07-20-2009, 10:44 AM
I think i need a larger humidor :| Thanks all for the input and im definately going to use the ash tray, I have an old crystal on from my grandfather who passed away some years back, but I dont think its as well suited for the job..

Dunkel I think we have similar tastes, all but the blue label from your sig
Cuba Libre, El Mejor Espresso, Tierra del Sol

BTW what was the winning bid?
Something between 80 - 100, I was surprised

tchariya
07-20-2009, 11:29 AM
bah...just go get yourself a 150QT cooler! IF you are going to start a collection of cigars in whole boxes, might as well do it in style....for a super reasonable price!

ok so...150QT might be a bit big...but you will grow out of the smaller ones. Trust me.

14holestogie
07-20-2009, 11:38 AM
bah...just go get yourself a 150QT cooler! IF you are going to start a collection of cigars in whole boxes, might as well do it in style....for a super reasonable price!

ok so...150QT might be a bit big...but you will grow out of the smaller ones. Trust me.

:tpd:

This is a wise man. :)

PeteSB75
07-20-2009, 11:41 AM
I think i need a larger humidor :| Thanks all for the input and im definately going to use the ash tray, I have an old crystal on from my grandfather who passed away some years back, but I dont think its as well suited for the job..

Dunkel I think we have similar tastes, all but the blue label from your sig
Cuba Libre, El Mejor Espresso, Tierra del Sol

Something between 80 - 100, I was surprised

They are going for 125 retail off CI, so that sounds about right for cbid.

Totemic
07-20-2009, 12:46 PM
At least for me, almost as a rule, if the silly box is overly large (and thereby taking up valuable humidor space) or oddly shaped, I remove all the cigars from the box and place them on my trays instead.

Since my coolers are so well regulated in terms of humidity and temperature, I don't worry too much about keeping things in their boxes. Usually, I even remove the cello from the cigars since that seems to speed up the process of getting their moisture level stablized.

The only boxes I keep in my cooler/humidors are those which are reasonably sized (just a thin cedar box with no frills around it).

The only exception to this are the clear cigar jars. I love those things. They take up a bit more room, but one nice thing about the clear jars is that if you have cigars which you're not 100% certain about it's origin, you can isolate them in the jars in the case of a beetle break out--at least I'm reasonably certain that the little buggers can't eat through those jars nor their seals.

Waynegro1
07-20-2009, 12:54 PM
I store most of my sticks just as I get them. Box and all, go into cabinet. If you have room, put the box in your humi. If room is an issue, get a bigger humi, or just put the singles where they fit. :tu
Congrats on your pick up!! :ss

systm
07-20-2009, 12:59 PM
The only exception to this are the clear cigar jars. I love those things. They take up a bit more room, but one nice thing about the clear jars is that if you have cigars which you're not 100% certain about it's origin, you can isolate them in the jars in the case of a beetle break out--at least I'm reasonably certain that the little buggers can't eat through those jars nor their seals.

I Like this idea!

Again I like the idea, but i need to save up a bit before i go out and get a big one, Like This (http://www.tampahumidor.com/sd4/product/the-napoli-3210.cfm) I like this one (http://www.tampahumidor.com/sd4/product/display-cabinet-1790.cfm) as well

Totemic
07-20-2009, 01:25 PM
For coolers, it's not very expensive.
I found a 150qt Coleman from Walmart for $80 (with $1 shipping). I ordered three. :)

(Although, you do need to account for the cost of trays, the ones from Bargain Humidor were $10/tray and you can fit them in the Coleman quite nicely).

systm
07-20-2009, 01:38 PM
For coolers, it's not very expensive.
I found a 150qt Coleman from Walmart for $80 (with $1 shipping). I ordered three. :)

(Although, you do need to account for the cost of trays, the ones from Bargain Humidor were $10/tray and you can fit them in the Coleman quite nicely).

I completely missed what you were saying. My dad has numerous coolers of various sizes, and that is a great idea for temporary storage. I think I should be good to wait, although I also just ordered 2x of the gurka status combos as well, one with the Padilla Achilles Solomons and a 5 Vegas Relic Perfecto, I've liked the other 5 Vegas, so I think this will fit in quite well

Thanks Totemic

oldforge
07-21-2009, 10:37 AM
and if it turns into permanent storage it is OK too. :ss

that is a great idea for temporary storage.

systm
07-21-2009, 04:42 PM
and if it turns into permanent storage it is OK too. :ss

Oh, of course, I'd just like something I could show off to people, rather then an iced chest. Can I get a brew? Nope, but your sure can grab a stick :)

I think I may be getting a better position at work. Heres to hoping

ucla695
07-21-2009, 07:37 PM
I'm with the others. If you can spare the room, throw the box in. Otherwise, take 'em out.