PDA

View Full Version : Five Silly Blind Reviews

Starscream
07-18-2009, 08:45 PM
MCS contacted me earlier this month about doing some blind reviews. Little did I know that this was merely a ruse for getting my addy for a massive bombing run. I have let the five unbanded sticks rest in the humi for a week now, so I decided to go ahead with stick number one. So here goes:

Cigar #1

http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/picture.php?albumid=350&pictureid=2460
Pre-light Construction: 5x50 solid, natural (looks Cameroon?) veiny wrapper

Pre-light: smooth draw, strong cedar flavor

1st third: Upon lighting I immediately taste a sour/ammonia flavor. Uh-oh; hope this goes away. Ammonia/sourness has gone away. This cigar is smooth when exhaling through the nose. Faint hints of citrus are slightly noticeable, but with my unrefined palate, I can’t tell what the other flavors I’m picking up are yet. Spiciness (not peppery) is starting to kick in at the one inch mark; not too much, but it’s starting to have a little kick to it. Mixed in is some sweet flavor.

2nd third: Spice has disappeared. The smoothness has returned, along with a grassy flavor. Sweetness becomes more dominant. The smoke is very smooth when nose exhaling now. Very enjoyable at this point.

Final Third: It’s starting to get harsh, so I purged it. After purging, both nutty and cocoa flavors are discernable. Not as smooth as it was, but it’s still enjoyable. With about an inch left it starts to become slightly harsh and burns hot. I purge again, but to no avail. It’s still harsh, ad getting harsher.

Final Thoughts: The burn was true all the way down; completely even. The ammonia taste at the beginning scared me a little, but this cigar eventually mellowed and was quite smooth and enjoyable. A medium bodied cigar. The first and final third had NC qualities, while the second third had CC qualities. I thoroughly enjoyed this stick, although I have no guess as to what brand it is. Would I smoke this stick again? Yes.

I'm very curious to find out what this stick is. Thanks for the opportunity to do some blind reviews, Scott.:tu

MajorCaptSilly
07-18-2009, 11:10 PM
That was a Padilla Hybrid Robusto. A low-end Padilla offered at Cigars International. These aren't widely loved but I like them when I have a morning cigar. Great review!

MCS

MedicCook
07-18-2009, 11:13 PM
Nice review Andy.

lou2row
07-20-2009, 06:51 PM
That was a Padilla Hybrid Robusto. A low-end Padilla offered at Cigars International. These aren't widely loved but I like them when I have a morning cigar. Great review!

MCS

How much time did you have this stick before sending for the review? These really turn it on after about a year sitting. The review sounds like it was still young.

Love the blind reviews! Glad to see some people doing it. Great way to learn your tastes without the hype. :dance:

Starscream
07-20-2009, 10:02 PM
Cigar #2
http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/picture.php?albumid=350&pictureid=2468
Construction: 6x50 boxed-pressed, natural, slightly-veiny wrapper, solid

Pre-Light Draw: Draw is smooth, slight cedar flavor

First Third: Upon lighting, I detect an earthy flavor and it’s very peppery through the nose. Pepper is still there but not as strong; the earthy flavor is increasing. This cigar is bold and the pepper is strengthening. I know this cigar. I’ve smoked it before. This has to be Nicaraguan.

Second Third: I’m tasting dark chocolate/coffee on the tongue w/ pepper still in the nose. Pepper has subsided; it’s still there, but the nose exhale is smoother now. The dark chocolate is more semi-sweet now.

Final Third: The wrapper is not wanting to stay lit. It could be due to the high humidity out here tonight. Pepper is gone completely. Still a strong smoke, though. Dark chocolate/coffee has returned. The last inch became really strong, giving me a slight tingle in my head.

Final Thoughts: I liked this cigar. It was full-bodied, yet not too strong. One of my favorite sticks is the Indian Tabac Super Fuerte maduro. I’ve never had an ITSF natural, but this is what I think it is. The ITSF maduros have the exact characteristics of the cigar I just smoked, but with a bit more sweetness to it. I would definitely recommend this stick, whatever it may be.

MajorCaptSilly
07-21-2009, 06:12 AM
That was a 5 Vegas Cask Strength II. Pretty surprising huh? I really like these.

Great review!

MCS

Starscream
07-21-2009, 10:51 AM
That was a 5 Vegas Cask Strength II. Pretty surprising huh? I really like these.

Great review!

MCS

Wow! I've been wanting to try these. They taste just like the Indian Tabac Super Fuerte. I like this stick very much, but the ITSF's are similar and cheaper.;)

Scottw
07-21-2009, 11:48 AM
Keep em coming Andy, nice reviews.

Starscream
07-21-2009, 09:31 PM
Cigar #3
http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/picture.php?albumid=350&pictureid=2473
Construction: 5.5x50 maduro

Pre-light Draw: tastes of cedar, smells chocolatey, smooth draw

First Third: I immediately taste strong chocolate and coffee. A typical sweet maduro cigar. Slight hints of pepper are detectable through the nose near the end of the first third.

Second Third: Pepper is more dominant. Still has a chocolate flavor, but pepper is in the forefront. Dark chocolate and leather flavors are now detectable. Sweetness is gone.

Final Third: Dark chocolate is still there. Pepper has been replaced with spice. Leather is more detectable. The final third is full-bodied in strength.

Final Thoughts: I had issues with the wrapper not wanting to burn, but this is probably my fault (the last three that I've smoked from my secondary humi have had wrapper issues). I'll remember to dry box the next couple before smoking out of the secondary humi. This is a medium-bodied smoke until the end. Full-strength kicks in in the final third. I like this cigar. But I like most typical sweet maduros with a little kick to them.

MedicCook
07-21-2009, 10:53 PM

Great review!

MCS

Great review Andy. I have also been wanting to try one of these.

Starscream
07-21-2009, 11:42 PM
Great review Andy. I have also been wanting to try one of these.

Yeah, it satisfied my curiosity. I've really come to enjoy blind reviews. I've learned a lot by doing these.

MajorCaptSilly
07-22-2009, 04:24 AM
Cigar #3
http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/picture.php?albumid=350&pictureid=2473
Construction: 5.5x50 maduro

Pre-light Draw: tastes of cedar, smells chocolatey, smooth draw

First Third: I immediately taste strong chocolate and coffee. A typical sweet maduro cigar. Slight hints of pepper are detectable through the nose near the end of the first third.

Second Third: Pepper is more dominant. Still has a chocolate flavor, but pepper is in the forefront. Dark chocolate and leather flavors are now detectable. Sweetness is gone.

Final Third: Dark chocolate is still there. Pepper has been replaced with spice. Leather is more detectable. The final third is full-bodied in strength.

Final Thoughts: I had issues with the wrapper not wanting to burn, but this is probably my fault (the last three that I've smoked from my secondary humi have had wrapper issues). I'll remember to dry box the next couple before smoking out of the secondary humi. This is a medium-bodied smoke until the end. Full-strength kicks in in the final third. I like this cigar. But I like most typical sweet maduros with a little kick to them.

That was a NC Bolivar something-something that was in a glass tube. I got a couple of these from somewhere and smoked one. They didn't do it for me. I would consider this the "dog rocket" of the bunch but am glad you liked it.

MCS

Starscream
07-22-2009, 07:57 AM
I've had a Bolivar something-something in a glass tube before. One man's dog rocket is another man's treasure, huh?:D

MajorCaptSilly
07-22-2009, 06:38 PM
I've had a Bolivar something-something in a glass tube before. One man's dog rocket is another man's treasure, huh?:D

Yeah! Your review may make me try another!

MCS

Starscream
07-22-2009, 07:46 PM
Yeah! Your review may make me try another!

MCS

I bought the ones I smoked before at the B&M in Gatlinburg, TN. Only place I've ever seen 'em. I don't remember the name of 'em either. I do remember them being the only Bolivar (NC) that I've ever seen in glass tubos.

shemp
07-23-2009, 06:27 PM
great job on the reviews andy, and great send MCS

BlackIrish
07-24-2009, 05:37 PM
I bought the ones I smoked before at the B&M in Gatlinburg, TN. Only place I've ever seen 'em. I don't remember the name of 'em either. I do remember them being the only Bolivar (NC) that I've ever seen in glass tubos.

The only NC Bolivar in a glass tubo that I know is the Suntuoso. I did a review of it here (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showpost.php?p=334478&postcount=1)

Enjoying this thread!

ucla695
07-24-2009, 05:45 PM
I always love reading blind reviews. Nothing better than challenging ones palate with some blind tastings. Good stuff. :tu

Starscream
07-27-2009, 09:59 PM
http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/picture.php?albumid=350&pictureid=2493
Cigar #4

Construction: 5x42 natural wrapper This cigar looks great!

Pre-Light Draw: No discernible flavor, draw is a little tight

1st Third: Upon lighting, I immediately pick up a grassy flavor. A little spice is detectable through the nose. Sweetness kicks in. Grassiness is faint, spice is gone. Very smooth so far. I’m tasting something that I can’t quite define (champagne?). I’ll stick with the champagne description: smooth, sweet, and has a tingling feeling (like champagne bubbles). A little woody flavor is detectable (oak?). Sweet chocolate/caramel flavor is faint. Wood is the dominant flavor.

2nd Third: Woody flavor is now the only flavor detectable. Champagne flavor returns, but it’s not as strong as before. A tingling feeling through the nose is very enjoyable.

Final Third: The stick is becoming harsh, so I purge it and try to let it cool a bit. The stick ends with a musty, nutty taste.

Final Thoughts: I enjoyed this stick. I must have more. The end was a little lackluster, but the rest was quite tasty and enjoyable. I’d have to say that this is Cuban tobacco, a recent production. But then again, my CC experience is limited.

MajorCaptSilly
07-28-2009, 05:26 AM
Bolivar PC! You got the country right. The finish is usually the best part for me on these. I get the Oak flavor as well.

MCS

http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/picture.php?albumid=350&pictureid=2493
Cigar #4

Construction: 5x42 natural wrapper This cigar looks great!

Pre-Light Draw: No discernible flavor, draw is a little tight

1st Third: Upon lighting, I immediately pick up a grassy flavor. A little spice is detectable through the nose. Sweetness kicks in. Grassiness is faint, spice is gone. Very smooth so far. I’m tasting something that I can’t quite define (champagne?). I’ll stick with the champagne description: smooth, sweet, and has a tingling feeling (like champagne bubbles). A little woody flavor is detectable (oak?). Sweet chocolate/caramel flavor is faint. Wood is the dominant flavor.

2nd Third: Woody flavor is now the only flavor detectable. Champagne flavor returns, but it’s not as strong as before. A tingling feeling through the nose is very enjoyable.

Final Third: The stick is becoming harsh, so I purge it and try to let it cool a bit. The stick ends with a musty, nutty taste.

Final Thoughts: I enjoyed this stick. I must have more. The end was a little lackluster, but the rest was quite tasty and enjoyable. I’d have to say that this is Cuban tobacco, a recent production. But then again, my CC experience is limited.

Starscream
07-28-2009, 09:16 AM
I've heard great things about the Boli PC but never had one till now. It lives up to its reputation.:tu

Starscream
07-30-2009, 03:12 PM
Cigar #5

http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/picture.php?albumid=350&pictureid=2513

Construction: 5x50, light/medium brown wrapper, very solid

Pre-Light Draw: A smooth draw. A little sweetness is detectable.

1st Third: Upon lighting, this cigar is very peppery and harsh. The harshness quickly subsides, leaving behind a bit of sweetness. About a half inch into the stick, the sweetness takes control. Sweet and smooth with a slight bit of pepper through the nose. The cigar is very solid; the ash is firm and holds on past the two inch mark. Toward the end of the first third, the sweetness subsides a little and a harshness joins it.

2nd Third: The sweetness and harshness combine for a flavor that reminds me of toasted or burnt sugar (toasted marshmallow?). It's not bad, but not great either. A tangy flavor is detectable as well.

Final Third: Sweetness and burnt flavor continue. It's not bad, but I'm beginning to get bored with it. At the last inch, the cigar starts to get bitter.

Final Thoughts: This cigar was ok. Not spectacular, not bad, but just ok. I'd like it for a morning smoke w/ coffee, but it's not a good afternoon/evening smoke for me. This is something that I would enjoy and not worry about putting it down after smoking half of it (which is what I tend to do in the mornings if I'm rushed for time).

Starscream
07-30-2009, 03:17 PM
After completing these five reviews, I would like to say thanks to Scott (MCS) for contacting me and asking if I would do this (even if he was tricking me into getting my address:D). I have thoroughly enjoyed smoking and writing these reviews. I have learned a lot about my palate and the preconcieved notions that come with the bands (or knowing what cigar I'm smoking). This has been a fun and enjoyable learning experience.

Thanks Scott! You are a true BOTL!:tu
Somebody give this man a rep bump for me!

MajorCaptSilly
07-30-2009, 04:22 PM
Cigar #5

http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/picture.php?albumid=350&pictureid=2513

Construction: 5x50, light/medium brown wrapper, very solid

Pre-Light Draw: A smooth draw. A little sweetness is detectable.

1st Third: Upon lighting, this cigar is very peppery and harsh. The harshness quickly subsides, leaving behind a bit of sweetness. About a half inch into the stick, the sweetness takes control. Sweet and smooth with a slight bit of pepper through the nose. The cigar is very solid; the ash is firm and holds on past the two inch mark. Toward the end of the first third, the sweetness subsides a little and a harshness joins it.

2nd Third: The sweetness and harshness combine for a flavor that reminds me of toasted or burnt sugar (toasted marshmallow?). It's not bad, but not great either. A tangy flavor is detectable as well.

Final Third: Sweetness and burnt flavor continue. It's not bad, but I'm beginning to get bored with it. At the last inch, the cigar starts to get bitter.

Final Thoughts: This cigar was ok. Not spectacular, not bad, but just ok. I'd like it for a morning smoke w/ coffee, but it's not a good afternoon/evening smoke for me. This is something that I would enjoy and not worry about putting it down after smoking half of it (which is what I tend to do in the mornings if I'm rushed for time).

That was an Alec Bradley Harvest Selection Robusto. I really enjoy these for the price. I like the toasted marshmallow flavor you were tasting.

Great reviews, Andy!

MCS

MajorCaptSilly
07-30-2009, 04:25 PM
After completing these five reviews, I would like to say thanks to Scott (MCS) for contacting me and asking if I would do this (even if he was tricking me into getting my address:D). I have thoroughly enjoyed smoking and writing these reviews. I have learned a lot about my palate and the preconcieved notions that come with the bands (or knowing what cigar I'm smoking). This has been a fun and enjoyable learning experience.

Thanks Scott! You are a true BOTL!:tu
Somebody give this man a rep bump for me!

I actually had no ulterior motives when I first got your address. After I got it, the idea for Shemp's Revenge came up. I just like to pick on English teachers:ss

MCS

Starscream
07-30-2009, 04:27 PM
I just like to pick on English teachers:ss

MCS

:tg:)

Starscream
07-30-2009, 04:31 PM
That was an Alec Bradley Harvest Selection Robusto. I really enjoy these for the price. I like the toasted marshmallow flavor you were tasting.

Great reviews, Andy!

MCS

I read one of Don Fernando's reviews today and he mentioned toasted marshmallow flavor. If I had not read his review today, I probably wouldn't have been able to pick that flavor out. I would have just thought it was a sweet, yet burnt flavor. I learn new things about my palate just from reading other reviews.