PDA

View Full Version : Leopard Gecko

smokeyandthebandit05
07-17-2009, 11:58 AM
I recently acquired a leopard gecko from a friend and was wondering if anyone else has one of these geckos or has experience. Ive read alot online and some of the stuff is conflicting.

What do you use in your tank?
What food do u give it?

Any other helpful advice is welcomed :tu

TanithT
07-17-2009, 12:05 PM
http://www.leopardgecko.com/emcare.html

Tremper knows whereof he speaks.

smokeyandthebandit05
07-17-2009, 12:23 PM
Thanks! :tu I havent read that one yet and it helped clear some stuff up lol

e-man67
07-17-2009, 12:30 PM
I had a male and he died 2 years ago...after 17 years! Ron Tremper has been in this stuff forever! I was big into herpetology back in the late 80's early 90's and he was writing stuff back then. I did use sand as a substraight, a heat rock, and dusted the crickets and mealies with calcium, vitamin C (with rose hips), and multi-vitamin. Great pet to have and beautiful! :banger

adampc22
07-17-2009, 12:46 PM
I had a male and he died 2 years ago...after 17 years! Ron Tremper has been in this stuff forever! I was big into herpetology back in the late 80's early 90's and he was writing stuff back then. I did use sand as a substraight, a heat rock, and dusted the crickets and mealies with calcium, vitamin C (with rose hips), and multi-vitamin. Great pet to have and beautiful! :banger

i wouldnt use a heat rock in my experience thay are nothing but trubble thay tend to burn the lizzard and can get way to hot if its a plastic or glass tank use a heat mat on the outside if its a wood tank mount a heat buld on the inside but u will have to thermostat that :2

Wanger
07-17-2009, 01:12 PM
Undertank heater is the way to go. You can get them at your local shop, or online. I'm friends with the people at the Beanfarm (http://www.beanfarm.com) and have gotten my heaters from them.

I also use sand with mine. I have used Calcisand for them, but there are many different types (and colors) you can get. make sure there are hiding spots on both the "hot" and cool sides of the tank, and one of them is a little "wetter" than the other (to aid shedding). Definitely dust the crickets, mealworms, waxworms (only as an occasional treat), or whatever you're feeding them with a vitamin supplement. I use Minerall for mine. Other than that, Tanith's link should be very helpful. Tremper is considered the foremost expert on these guys, as far as I'm concerned. :)

Have fun!

TanithT
07-17-2009, 01:26 PM
i wouldnt use a heat rock in my experience thay are nothing but trubble thay tend to burn the lizzard and can get way to hot

Seconded. Heat rocks are herp killers. Even when they don't get hot enough to fry the critter, they direct too much heat to the digestive areas which can cause fatal dehydration and impaction of fecal matter to the colon wall. Extremely common cause of death on necropsy in pet reptiles, FYI, even when it's not obvious on visual exam that the heat rock was the cause of death.