PDA

View Full Version : Victim of the economy

forgop
07-16-2009, 06:41 PM
I've feared it for a few months now, but my position was determined to be worthy of cutting, so I have been let go from my job. It really sucks because in 10 full years after college, this was the first job I'd ever had that I felt like I was one of the dumbest people in there. I mean, the people I dealt with were top notch and I grew a lot professionally having worked with them.

I was being separated because they had nothing open that fits my experience thus far, but it just so happens they have a manager training position in California that I really want. I've wanted to pursue that career path for a year now, but when I interviewed for the job 2 years ago, I gave my word that I would commit to 3 years with them before moving on in the world. This position would interview people with vice presidents and an executive vice president for the job. I want to land an interview because I really enjoyed the company and the work I was doing.

Granted, my termination had nothing to do with work performance. It was merely a formality of cutting heads and how they are reorganizing virtually every department out there as the company has cut approximately 30% of its workforce in the last 9-10 months.

I want to contact the hiring VP and land the interview for the job. One of my strategies will obviously be that I know how the company works and my previous role would be valuable in the new position. In addition, my thoughts were to show I wanted to prove myself enough that I would be to pay me $0.01 for the first 30 days to let me prove myself (provided they paid my expenses obviously). If after 30 days I haven't proven that I'm worthy of keeping, I'll come back home no questions asked. I'd also be leaving my wife and 3 kids behind during the period, so that's another sacrifice I want to prove to them.

Does that offer seem to you to be the type of attitude they'd want in a candidate or do you think it's a move they would view of desperation? Your thoughts???

kelmac07
07-16-2009, 06:51 PM
Duane,

Although you seem very passionate in your convictions about staying on with this company. Do not sell yourself short. Noone works for free!!! If you are fortunate to get the interview and the job, it is because you were the best person for the job...not because you will work the first 30 days for $ 0.01. Leaving family behind for 3 days is, alone, worth a hell of lot more than $ 0.01. Good luck!!

ade06
07-16-2009, 07:28 PM
Duane,

Although you seem very passionate in your convictions about staying on with this company. Do not sell yourself short. Noone works for free!!! If you are fortunate to get the interview and the job, it is because you were the best person for the job...not because you will work the first 30 days for $ 0.01. Leaving family behind for 3 days is, alone, worth a hell of lot more than $ 0.01. Good luck!!

:tpd:

Toasted Coastie
07-16-2009, 07:40 PM
Sorry to hear it Duane. Good luck....

lightning9191
07-16-2009, 08:47 PM
Sorry to hear it Duane. Good luck....

:tpd: I'll keep you in my prayers. I'm sure it will work out.

Starscream
07-16-2009, 08:50 PM
Thoughts and prayers sent, Duane.

AAlmeter
07-16-2009, 08:58 PM
Duane,

I was in a similar situation last year (was laid off on Halloween). You're worth a hell of a lot more than that...everyone should know that. Prove to them that you can provide what they need to turn them around, not that you're willing to work for nothing. There are tons of people out there who are willing to work for less just to have employment. Ask for more and back it up with past performance and follow through with it. In my experience, it will demand more attention than groveling for a chance. I ended up with 20% raise after my layoff last fall.

Bust your ass and there are always people willing to pay you for your services.

longknocker
07-16-2009, 09:02 PM

I was in a similar situation last year (was laid off on Halloween). You're worth a hell of a lot more than that...everyone should know that. Prove to them that you can provide what they need to turn them around, not that you're willing to work for nothing. There are tons of people out there who are willing to work for less just to have employment. Ask for more and back it up with past performance and follow through with it. In my experience, it will demand more attention than groveling for a chance. I ended up with 20% raise after my layoff last fall.

Bust your ass and there are always people willing to pay you for your services.

:tpd: Best of luck, Brother!:tu

awsmith4
07-16-2009, 11:31 PM
I actually like that strategy, being a victim of cuts last fall I know how hard it is to land something new so a creative approach may be the best solution. You are not working for free if it lands you a great job.

Good luck and my prayers will be with you :tu

MedicCook
07-17-2009, 12:55 AM
Sorry about the job Duane. I hope everything works out for you.

Barteur
07-17-2009, 04:26 AM
Duane,

SeanGAR
07-17-2009, 05:17 AM
Prove to them that you can provide what they need to turn them around, not that you're willing to work for nothing. There are tons of people out there who are willing to work for less just to have employment. Ask for more and back it up with past performance and follow through with it. In my experience, it will demand more attention than groveling for a chance. I ended up with 20% raise after my layoff last fall.

This is great advice.

You're better off showing them why you're the best person for the position based on your qualifications and past performance with the company than anything else.

Best of luck .. I know this is not easy. Hopefully, you'll be like AA and be better off afterward.

e-man67
07-17-2009, 06:47 AM
When I graduated with my IT degree the bubble had burst. The only thing I had were a few degrees but no work experience in the field. I was told to volunteer that maybe that would help...only problem is noone would take me up on it. You are more likely to get contract work so go hire a headhunter or go to a temp service and you will get a job. Get that interview and sell yourself! Be persistant and good luck! :tu

Chris.
07-17-2009, 06:57 AM
yea nowadays a degree means squat. It used to guarantee a job, but now employers want the ones with 5+ years of experience and a degree.