PDA

View Full Version : Oliva V -- Not a fan.

borndead1
07-16-2009, 12:20 PM
The Oliva V really just doesn't do anything for me. It's not a BAD cigar, just doesn't grab me like some of the other Nicaraguan ligero-bombs out today.

I initially smoked one and didn't care for it at all. Took a chance and grabbed a few more, letting them sit in the humi for almost a year to see if they got any better. They haven't. I even tried different sizes! :r

Oh well. More V's for you mofos. :D

ade06
07-16-2009, 12:26 PM
I haven't been overly impressed by the V's either. I think that the V lancero is the best out of the lot.

dunng
07-16-2009, 12:27 PM
More for us! :tu

sikk50
07-16-2009, 12:46 PM
Yea, can't say they really tickled my fancey either

GTsetGO
07-16-2009, 12:48 PM
one of my top 3 sticks. i will kindly smoke your allotment for you. :ss

TomHagen
07-16-2009, 01:04 PM
Enjoy them. They never changed my life. The lancero is very good - especially for the price. Had a Maduro V that was just spice after spice after spice, no balance, not even a good flavor.

shvictor
07-16-2009, 02:31 PM
The Oliva V really just doesn't do anything for me. It's not a BAD cigar, just doesn't grab me like some of the other Nicaraguan ligero-bombs out today.

I initially smoked one and didn't care for it at all. Took a chance and grabbed a few more, letting them sit in the humi for almost a year to see if they got any better. They haven't. I even tried different sizes! :r

Wanna trade? :D

WildBlueSooner
07-16-2009, 02:45 PM
More for us! :tu

:tpd: I have had several and really enjoy them!

darkninja67
07-16-2009, 03:14 PM
We all have different tastes but count me in as a V lover, especially the figurado.

Tarks
07-16-2009, 03:18 PM
Love the V's, although I have only had a few of them. Got another in the humi. Might hace to smoke it this week.

shvictor
07-16-2009, 03:36 PM
We all have different tastes but count me in as a V lover, especially the figurado.

Thats one I still have to try. Will have to get one this weekend :tu

GTsetGO
07-16-2009, 03:39 PM
i like the figurado and the double robusto.

Jbailey
07-16-2009, 03:44 PM
I haven't been overly impressed by the V's either. I think that the V lancero is the best out of the lot.

:tpd: I haven't tried them all since I stay away from large RG but the lancero is the best of the lot.

tsolomon
07-16-2009, 03:50 PM
I like them, they tend to be a very dependable good smoke when I drop by my local B&Ms.

gnukfu
07-16-2009, 04:08 PM
Thanks for saving them for the rest of us who enjoy em! :tu

Bax
07-16-2009, 04:19 PM
I enjoy these alot, but I prefer he older ones to the newer release. Not sure if it's different but I do.

NickyTeen
07-16-2009, 04:41 PM
Ther first 3 or 4 I smoked just didn't do it for me. Seemed flavorless. Gave a bunch away then deciced to fire one up. It was awesome! Not sure if the stick changed over 9 months or my palate, but its definately one of my favorites now.

Skywalker
07-16-2009, 04:46 PM
Thanks for saving them for the rest of us who enjoy em! :tu

:tpd:

Ratters
07-16-2009, 05:02 PM
Funny, I originallly thought the same as you, but then I pulled out one that I've had for well over a year and it was really good. Now I wish I wouldnta given away 80% of the box. :ss

Mr B
07-16-2009, 05:28 PM
I have really liked the handfull of Belisco's I have had.

skullnrose
07-16-2009, 08:05 PM

Not one of my favorite sticks but I do like the lancero. If I head over to the B&M for a smoke and they have the lancero I'll pick one or two up.

shemp
07-16-2009, 08:15 PM

dead1...right on the money! i had one yesterday, was hoping big things and was left very bland...bummer..oh for the days of the vhh 6 x 60...

massphatness
07-16-2009, 08:36 PM
I've smoked a fair number of these although not nearly as many recently, and I always liked them. The V's along with the 601 Green Labels were my two favorite ass kicking sticks.

Starscream
07-16-2009, 09:13 PM

They don't live up to the hype I hear about them here (IMHO). I do love the Oliva Gs, though.:tu

Waynegro1
07-16-2009, 09:50 PM
I love the 'V'. Especially the "Special V", one of my favorite NC's.

Steelergar
07-16-2009, 10:12 PM
I have a torpedo Oliva V thats getting smoked this weekend. And I only bought because there hyped up on here. Ones that I previously tried were OK and not too complex. If I dont care for this one or the oliva O that I picked up, I"m done with Oliva except for a try of a special S.

Starscream
07-16-2009, 10:15 PM
I have a torpedo Oliva V thats getting smoked this weekend. And I only bought because there hyped up on here. Ones that I previously tried were OK and not too complex. If I dont care for this one or the oliva O that I picked up, I"m done with Oliva except for a try of a special S.

Have you tried the G?

Steelergar
07-16-2009, 10:45 PM
i pretty sure I have, but I am not a fan of cameroon wrappers.

joeybear
07-17-2009, 11:22 AM
If you smoke slow, you'll never have a problem with the wrappers, but I don't. I smoke too fast and the wrappers blow-up on every single one I've had. I'll pass on them.

tchariya
07-17-2009, 12:23 PM
Lanceros are my favorites too...and they come 36 in a box!!! That's 50% more than most boxes. hehe...took me forever to enjoy the entire box. They did get better the longer they sat. I tried to smoke one every 1-2 weeks.

acarr
07-17-2009, 03:26 PM
I never had an Oliva that I didn't like

GHC_Hambone
07-17-2009, 03:46 PM
Different smokes for different folks I guess ;)

I really enjoy them.

G G
07-17-2009, 03:58 PM
I like the V's a lot, except I am bassackwards from a lot of yall. I didn't like the lancero much. I think it's me though cause I think I smoked it too fast and it went bad on me. I have had the double robustos, robusto, torpedo, and figurado and loved em all.

itsme_timd
07-17-2009, 04:07 PM
Wow, glad to see I'm not alone in not loving the V's. I've tried a few and fully agree with Mark - it's not a bad cigar, just not a great cigar. However I love the Oliva G's.

And... if I want a heavy ligero hit, the LFD Double Ligero has never let me down. :D

Steelergar
07-17-2009, 11:00 PM
I'm smoking a O Maduro robusto right now and I"m impressed so far. Taste similar to DPG JJ Maduro to me. I plan on checking my b&m tomorrow to pick up a G and a O natural to see how much I like those. Can't knock it if you haven't tried it.

borndead1
07-19-2009, 03:00 AM
I'm smoking a O Maduro robusto right now and I"m impressed so far. Taste similar to DPG JJ Maduro to me. I plan on checking my b&m tomorrow to pick up a G and a O natural to see how much I like those. Can't knock it if you haven't tried it.

Yep. I like the O nat and mad way more than the V. The G is OK, not something I would buy but would definitely smoke if handed one -- although I used to smoke a lot of the old "Grand Cameroon" blend robustos. Used to love those things. :ss

Steelergar
07-19-2009, 09:08 PM
I picked up my own oliva sampler the other day including the master blend 2 and 3. So far I like the O maduro but I dont care for the O natural or any of the G "s. the g's have too many stems in them and the flavor is nothing that I care for. next up is the special s and V belicoso.

bigboycigarman
07-19-2009, 09:12 PM
Really Enjoy them, but do think they need to be aged a little...

GTsetGO
07-20-2009, 08:16 AM
I like the V's a lot, except I am bassackwards from a lot of yall. I didn't like the lancero much. I think it's me though cause I think I smoked it too fast and it went bad on me. I have had the double robustos, robusto, torpedo, and figurado and loved em all.

i am with you on this one. I really didn't care for the lancero. The 3-4 that i have had went bad in the last 3rd.

Double Robusto and Double toro have never let me down.

sboyajian
07-20-2009, 08:43 AM
I like the flavor profile of the V.. sadly out of the 4 or 5 I have had (Robusto, Torpedo, Lancero) I have had major draw issues on every one of them. 1 from the B&M (bought and smoked there) and the rest sitting in my humidors (65%) ...

I've given up on the V's.

ZenSilk
07-20-2009, 08:46 AM
The G series got me into Oliva, and I've tried most of their sticks. the V is by fare the most complex, but I would say the G is the most enjoyable, to me. The V to me seems bland and times and a tad heavy on the leather. But, I have not had a V lancero that was anything but perfect.

tchariya
07-20-2009, 09:22 AM
I like the flavor profile of the V.. sadly out of the 4 or 5 I have had (Robusto, Torpedo, Lancero) I have had major draw issues on every one of them. 1 from the B&M (bought and smoked there) and the rest sitting in my humidors (65%) ...

I've given up on the V's.

The best thing to do with long skinny smokes like that is to dry box them a bit or have them humidified around 63% or so. Over humidified lanceros, like the ones from my B&M don't smoke well right out of their walk-ins because they are over humidified due to the nature of constant opening/closing of the doors.

That is just what I experienced.