PDA

View Full Version : Cigar you smoked a lot of but now ignore?

weak_link
07-16-2009, 12:38 AM
In the '90's during the 'boom' I smoked a lot of Arturo Fuente 8-9-8's and enjoyed them very much. Every time I smoked a cigar, that was it. It really made cigar smoking easy. Go to local tobacconist, chat, grab AF 898, chat more, leave, then go enjoy a good cigar. I have pictures of me in my early 20's staining furniture and smoking an AF while drunk on tequila. Ahh good times. Years later, I'm 38 now, I ignore them. Not for any real reason other than I've branched out into other vitolas I think I enjoy more. Reading the 'candela' thread someone brought up the candela 8-9-8 and it reminded me of my old standby, the natural 8-9-8. I've decided I need to revisit these and see if they still have the old charm for me. My tastes have changed considerably in the past few years so I don't want to get my hopes up. None the less, I'm looking forward to grabbing a few to honor for introducing me to quality cigars during those 'booming' '90's in Los Angeles. With all the fly by night smokes being pumped out during that time it would have been easy to get lost but the Fuente always took care of business for me. I suppose I have to thank that tobacconist in Marina del Rey steering me straight as well.

Anyone one else have smokes like that? The ones that sucked you in but you now ignore for whatever reasons? I think think it would be interesting to go back to your old standby's and do reviews on them. Will I be wondering what the heck I was thinking or rediscover an old friend?

I'd love to hear others stories on this as well.

If I can't track them down locally I'll order up a fiver on the devil's site and post up my results.

I'd invite other folks to do the same, could be a fun thread of rediscovery.

Ratters
07-16-2009, 12:52 AM
When I first started smoking I smoked a lot of Chateau Fuente Maduros, now I can't stand the things.

And Eric, Little Havana had the 858s in stock last time I was there.

weak_link
07-16-2009, 01:00 AM
When I first started smoking I smoked a lot of Chateau Fuente Maduros, now I can't stand the things.

And Eric, Little Havana had the 858s in stock last time I was there.

Road trip? :wo Hope they don't suck, I really want to like them now.

bobarian
07-16-2009, 01:15 AM
Fuente for me too. Short Stories, I could not get enough of them! Now I cant remember the last time I smoked one, must be at least 6-8 months. I'll check the humi for 898's and bring them to the Barn if I have them. :tu

Darrell
07-16-2009, 01:17 AM
Fuente for me too. Short Stories, I could not get enough of them! Now I cant remember the last time I smoked one, must be at least 6-8 months. I'll check the humi for 898's and bring them to the Barn if I have them. :tu

Bob used to be a Short Story MONSTER!

I used to smoke a ton of DPG Black Labels, now when I try them and they taste completely flat and boring.

sikk50
07-16-2009, 01:23 AM
5 Vegas Gold and Classic

taltos
07-16-2009, 03:46 AM
I used to smoke a whole bunch of Maria Mancini Magic Mountains both natural and maduro. Still have half a box of maduros and smoked the first one in about a year last week. They still taste good but I have moved on to cigars that I prefer such as Olivas and DPG Blues.

Adriftpanda
07-16-2009, 04:18 AM
I use to smoke a lot RP, especially the Edge, and Vintage. I decided to smoke a RP the other week and realized why I stopped smoke them. Also Gurkha, I use to smoke a lot of Gurkhas but... they suck.

Dunkel
07-16-2009, 04:21 AM
I would imagine you smoking an 898 will bring back good memories if nothing else. I used to smoke Las Cabrillas cigars when I was in my 20's. I haven't had one in years, but I would imagine it wouldn't compare to some of my favorites today.

TripleF
07-16-2009, 04:24 AM
PUNCH GRAN PURO TUBO

Now I'm gonna have to smoke one........

JJG
07-16-2009, 04:58 AM
not one particular cigar I can think of but just maduros in general. When I first started smoking, all I bought were maduros. I'm not sure why now.

duckmanco
07-16-2009, 06:55 AM
was a maduro smoker only for the first 2 years or so. Then when I found Corojo and Sumatra, it all changed.

Emjaysmash
07-16-2009, 07:08 AM
Perdomo Lot 23s, and the first handmade cigar I ever had : Sancho Panza Double Maduro

Jcaprell
07-16-2009, 07:08 AM
I used to smoke a lot of Gurkhas when I first started smoking. I never buy them anymore. If I am given one I will smoke it and I always think, "well, maybe I will give them just one more shot. Maybe it will be good!" and time after time, I am reminded of just how undeveloped my pallet was back then.

md4958
07-16-2009, 07:09 AM
Oliva G... my go to cigar. I dont remember last time I had one, and have two boxes in the cooler. I'll have to revisit one soon.

aerochris
07-16-2009, 08:45 AM
Macanudo of every kind. I loved those things. Haven't smoked one forever.

icehog3
07-16-2009, 09:00 AM
La Aroma de Cuba Robustos....went through several boxes my first year or so of quality smoking...I doubt I have had one in 2 years now.

Java
07-16-2009, 09:03 AM
Don't laugh... Macanudos.

BigCat
07-16-2009, 09:04 AM
Cusano 18 double connecticut. I went through a couple boxes my first year smoking. Now when I find one in the humi I save it for when I need to give a non-smoker something mild. I just moved onto fuller smokes, as is usually the case.

BlackDog
07-16-2009, 09:14 AM
Back in the 1980's I only smoked occasionally, and only when I was going to be with certain friends. I usually bought them at a drug store that had a cigar counter. If I had decent money I bought Macanudo Hampton Courts. If not, I bought Marsh Wheelings. Once Tinder Box opened in the mall I tried Fuente 898's and Ashton classics. Loved both of those.

I also used to sometimes smoke a cigar from the Canary Islands, but I can't recall what it was now. I haven't seen a cigar from the Canary Island in a very long time.

TomHagen
07-16-2009, 09:22 AM
Truth be told...

Padron 6000

I don't know why I don't smoke them, I guess DPG and Illusione have my wallet at that price point.

I used to smoke all Padron x000 like they were going out of style, and infact didn't smoke much of anything else. When I had my first Tatuaje, a Regio, I just thought it to be a one-dimensional spicey Padron 3000 nat, ohhh I've come a long way baby. Now I can't smoke enough Tat's & DPG.

Also, Fuente, especially Short Stories. Used suck one down every evening. now... I actually revisited them a month ago and have to say I really liked it, though I really stopped liking Cameroon, due to the sour taste, but the Hemingway series always has that sweetness.

ps nice thread

ChicagoWhiteSox
07-16-2009, 09:28 AM
I used to smoke a ton of partagas black labels and CAO brazilias. I burned through those sticks like I was a dragon. I still have a couple each on hand but I just haven't had any disire to smoke them.

TomHagen
07-16-2009, 09:33 AM
Maybe also write what we are smoking now?

What have you replaced the ol' standby or ol' great smoke with?

(a lot will probably say CC's, but besides that...)

ChicagoWhiteSox
07-16-2009, 09:37 AM
Maybe also write what we are smoking now?

What have you replaced the ol' standby or ol' great smoke with?

(a lot will probably say CC's, but besides that...)

I have replaced the blacks and cao's with some Tats, DPG, Padrons, and CC's. I still smoke a variety of cigars, it just seems that those cigars take the place for the black label and cao's.

JJG
07-16-2009, 09:52 AM
I used to buy a lot of Padrons, mostly the 3k and 4k. I still enjoy them occasionally but not with any regularity. They taste great, but I finally just got bored with that one flavor.

tsolomon
07-16-2009, 11:09 AM
For the past couple of weekends, I have been pulling out old sticks that I haven't smoked in quite awhile to give them a smoke. There has only been 2 out of the whole bunch that I still enjoy. DPG Blues and Oliva G Cameroon, the rest are going out to Fred for the troops. DPG Blacks, Montecristo Media Noche, 5 Vegas Gold and Classics, Casa Royale. It's not that I dont like them, but I do find them to a boring smoke. :2

Mr B
07-16-2009, 11:09 AM
Macanudo Golds. Now they are like suckin air. I just perfer more spice and flavor now.

htown
07-16-2009, 11:12 AM
I smoked a lot of Padron and Padron Aniversarios and now I can take them or leave them.

alley00p
07-16-2009, 11:29 AM
LOL, I started with Macanudos - especially Hampton Courts and Fuente Curly Heads... :D

Haven't either in ages :ss

:dance:

e-man67
07-16-2009, 11:41 AM
Started in the early 90's with Macanudos and Monte Cristos...then went to all things Fuente and Romeo Juliet gold labels...smoked a TON of Partegas Black and Punch rare corojo's along with HDM excalibers in the early 2000's...have them all in my Humi and haven't looked at them in years (with the exception of 1 Partagas Black about a month ago)...now mostly I smoke Tats and DPG stuff...although I do have my CC moments.

Starscream
07-16-2009, 11:46 AM
I used to love Fuente Cuban Coronas. I haven't had one in a long time. Don't like them with natural wrappers anymore, but the maduros are still ok.

awsmith4
07-16-2009, 11:47 AM
RP 1990s and AF Hemingway's were the ones I smoked the most but now they don't even cross my mind

The Poet
07-16-2009, 03:01 PM
I used to smoke a whole bunch of Maria Mancini Magic Mountains both natural and maduro. Still have half a box of maduros and smoked the first one in about a year last week. They still taste good but I have moved on to cigars that I prefer such as Olivas and DPG Blues.

Funny thing there - I smoked a stubby MM, a DeGaulle I think they call it, for the first time in a loooong time just the other night. And I used to smoke these and those skinny little jobbies, whatever they call 'em, quite often - plus, I'm almost certain I have a sampler of MMMMs in the bottom of one of my coolerdors. As the man said, they taste good - different, but good - yet I've just let them slide.

darkninja67
07-16-2009, 03:06 PM
During the boom one of my mainstays were El Rey del Mundos (NC). I still want them but haven't scored any of late.

eber
07-16-2009, 03:11 PM
Cusano 18 double connecticut. I went through a couple boxes my first year smoking. Now when I find one in the humi I save it for when I need to give a non-smoker something mild. I just moved onto fuller smokes, as is usually the case.
:tpd:
I never bought a box of these but when I started smoking these were all I smoked at the B&M, I have just graduated to a more full flavor flavor profile

Bax
07-16-2009, 04:20 PM

I've got a few of these collecting dust myself.

wrench turner 85
07-16-2009, 04:54 PM
Its not that I ignore it, I just cant find it any more and thats Di Meola's. :dr

jerseystepup
07-16-2009, 05:00 PM
What I used to smoke religously? 5 vegas gold or perdomo lot 23's.....

What they've been replaced with? Besides psd 4's. Either 5 vegas miamis's or tat white labels.

flat6nut
07-16-2009, 06:04 PM
Used to smoke a ton of La Fontana. Way to mild for me anymore.

Jimbo14
07-16-2009, 06:53 PM
Great thread.

I used smoke alot of Montecristo #4. I still smoke them and enjoy them, but my palate has changed.

Skywalker
07-16-2009, 09:29 PM
Nice idea for a Thread Eric!!!:tu

As for me, I'm still too new to the whole thing!!! I'm still smoking anything and everything!!!

alfbacca
07-16-2009, 10:45 PM
I used to mainly smoke Macanudo's and 5 Vegas. Now I've been mostly smoking Tatuajes, Illusiones, any Nicaraguan tobacco. Along with the occasional Opus.

weak_link
07-25-2009, 11:19 PM
As an update to this thread, I was able to smoke a Fuente 8-5-8 natural thanks to Andy who hooked me up at last weeks Barn Herf. :thumbup Turns out I really enjoyed the smoke. To be honest I had pretty low expectations but I did enjoy the flavors it put out, especially the turns it took from the 2nd half down. I'd highly recommend revisiting some of your old flings, you just might find there is still a spark.

apNgb
07-25-2009, 11:29 PM
Smoked alot of Fuente Curly heads back in the day. Wow has the palate changed...

Boobar
07-26-2009, 10:11 AM
Started out smoking a lot of Onyx Reserves and now I just don't get the enjoyment that I used to.

ucla695
07-26-2009, 10:23 AM
I used to smoke a lot of Anejos and Opus. I stocked up and kinda gave up on the chase after a while. I'll have one or so a year, but I've moved on to the dark side. :)

yourchoice
07-26-2009, 10:37 AM
10 years ago or so I liked Macanudos. When first getting back into the hobsession (about 3 yrs) I tried tons of stuff and really liked Gurhka Doble Maduros and Coronado by La Flor. Don't care for Macanudos anymore and haven't had a Doble Maduro in years, but I still enjoy an occasional Coronado.

Cool thread.

tobii3
07-26-2009, 11:02 AM
In the '90's during the 'boom'

You DO realize that a LOT of the Inmates here were in diapers during the boom, right??

:r

bigloo
07-26-2009, 11:21 AM
CAO cameroons... for some reason stopped smoking these a few months back.

weak_link
07-26-2009, 11:23 AM
You DO realize that a LOT of the Inmates here were in diapers during the boom, right??

:r

:ss

damn kids. :fu

http://images.dailyradar.com/media/uploads/racing/story_large/2009/03/10/eastwoodmylawn.jpg

Homebrewer
07-26-2009, 12:28 PM
During the boom one of my mainstays were El Rey del Mundos (NC). I still want them but haven't scored any of late.

I used to smoke lots of these back in the day. I still have a few, but they're just not the same. I smoked hemmingways, Ashton aged maduros and la Gloria cubanas. Things have changed.

Pat1075
07-26-2009, 08:33 PM
RP Vintage 90's now I flat out hate em

GWN
07-26-2009, 09:57 PM
Like some of the other folks, I smokes maduros almost exclusively at first.
Unlike some of those above, I've never tried a Macanudo, though I've surely smoked a lot worse.

marge796
07-26-2009, 11:09 PM
Gispert Churchill " Natural "

:ss

Chris.....

klipsch
07-27-2009, 12:57 PM
I know that it can't be possible that in 3 pages of reply's I'm going to be the first to say ACID's exclusively. Roam's, Kuba's, Atom Maduro's, Blondie's, Wafe's, One's and 5's. I had no interest in traditional cigars for the first couple few months that I began smoking. I still have a 100 count humi with nothing but ACID in it...at least 60-70 sticks. The last time I smoked one, I had finished it fairly early, around 9:30PM or so. Since I was gonna be up for a while, I grabbed a VSG Enchantment out of the humi. After the Kuba Deluxe...I couldn't taste the VSG and was so pissed that I haven't smoked an ACID since.

Addiction
07-27-2009, 02:30 PM
ROcky Patels for me, any and everything they make. Now I can barely stand most of them.

gvarsity
07-27-2009, 03:18 PM
I used to really like the Punch Rothschild and HdM Excalibur #1 Naturals and neither really hold much interest for me anymore. I still like the Excalibur Maduros and the Punch Gran Puros but I don't even smoke those very frequently and the originals have lost there touch for me.

Da Klugs
07-27-2009, 03:42 PM
RP Vintage 90's now I flat out hate em

:tpd:

and Gurhkas of all ilk.. expedition toros being the most consumed.

CI buying addiction transfers to an addiction to flavor profiles once you hit the slope and learn the nasal exhale.

bigswol2
07-27-2009, 03:54 PM
For me Partagas black was like the invention of the wheel.... Now not so much so!

MajorCaptSilly
07-27-2009, 03:55 PM
Fuente 8-5-8's. Used to buy a couple boxes at a time. Haven't had one in years.

MCS

Doctorossi
07-27-2009, 05:56 PM
NC Partagas #10. Quality went way down on these, IMO.

BC-Axeman
07-27-2009, 09:52 PM
Macanudos here. I still like Macs as a yard-gar. Been a year since I smoked one.
I smoke a lot of brands. Cruzado is probably my favorite NC right now. AF Hemis are high on my lists too.

weak_link
07-27-2009, 10:11 PM
Fuente 8-5-8's. Used to buy a couple boxes at a time. Haven't had one in years.

MCS

You should buy a single or two or do I did and see if you can mooch from someone. :r I was actually surprised that I enjoyed it as much as I did, Especially the 2nd third on. I've come to the conclusion that there is a reason the 8-5-8 has been around as long as it has.

maconusmile
01-22-2012, 04:38 AM
I used to smoke a lot of Padron Londres, and CAO Gold Robusto's. I still love them both on occasion. Now one of my favorite smokes is Romeo Y Julieta Petite Coronas, and Behikes from Habanos!

RevSmoke
01-22-2012, 04:31 PM
AF Chateaus, AF Rothschilds, Punch Rothschilds, HdM Rothschilds, , El Rey delMundo Robustos. No that I don't like them, but I've been smoking a lot of other stuff the last 8 years.

14holestogie
01-22-2012, 04:34 PM
Perdomo Champagne were a go-to for me a few years back. Not sure what they did to the blend, but the last couple I've had just don't do it for me anymore.

longknocker
01-22-2012, 05:20 PM
5 Vegas Gold & Any Perdoma. Don't Enjoy Them Any More. :(

colinb913
01-22-2012, 05:39 PM
Back when I started it was probably the players club, Don Diego. I bought two bundles of them, and went through them quick! Now I smoke stronger smokes (everyday smoke: DL-700). I can't stand light cigars any more.

sikk50
01-22-2012, 08:30 PM
You sir, must be a thread archeologist

Skywalker
01-23-2012, 08:15 AM
You sir, must be a thread archeologist

There is some dust on this one!;)

Stevez
01-23-2012, 08:52 AM
Fuente Curly Heads, Onyx Reserve and more recently, RP Edge Maduro. Haven't had any of the first 2 in many years and just kind of grew tired of the Edge. Too one dimesional for me for some reason. I also use to buy a lot of the JR Alternatives, but now can't stand them. This hobby is getting more expensive!

kuzi16
01-23-2012, 09:28 AM
I used to smoke Sancho Panza Double Maduro all the time. got many many singles and a box or two.

now i dont even think i have a single one in my humidor.

theonlybear4CORT
01-23-2012, 01:22 PM
601 red and blue also the rp vintage 92 and taboo twist.