PDA

View Full Version : Tobacco Used by Don Pepin

Mr. Ed
07-15-2009, 04:28 PM
I know that Pepin uses his own tobacco for My Father. However, I was wondering the other day where he gets the tobacco from to make the Blue, and Black Labels, Tatuaje, etc.?

Skywalker
07-15-2009, 04:51 PM
100% Nicaraguan tobacco is utilized!!!

That's what the adds say!!!

NCRadioMan
07-15-2009, 04:58 PM
If I am not mistaken Ed, Pepin uses tobacco from Eduardo Fernández's Aganorsa farms. (García and Fernández established Tabacalera Cubana de García y Fernández S.A. in Estelí.)

Aganorsa has several large farms in Esteli and the Jalapa Valley. They have over 500 acres of Cuban-seed shade-grown wrapper leaf and 320 acres of sun-grown Habano tobacco, under cultivation in Jalapa, Nicaragua. In nearby Esteli, they grow powerful ligero leaf, on another 150 acres.

DougBushBC
07-15-2009, 05:05 PM
You know who else uses all Esteli Tobacco? Andy Madera and Guillen Cigars (Reserva Miraflor, Goviado, Don Fernando, Casa Pineda)

Mr. Ed
07-15-2009, 05:15 PM
If I am not mistaken Ed, Pepin uses tobacco from Eduardo Fernández's Aganorsa farms. (García and Fernández established Tabacalera Cubana de García y Fernández S.A. in Estelí.)

Aganorsa has several large farms in Esteli and the Jalapa Valley. They have over 500 acres of Cuban-seed shade-grown wrapper leaf and 320 acres of sun-grown Habano tobacco, under cultivation in Jalapa, Nicaragua. In nearby Esteli, they grow powerful ligero leaf, on another 150 acres.

Does he actually oversee the farming of this tobacco or simply buy it from Fernandez? I've always been under the impression that he bought his tobacco from farmers and other manufacturers.

NCRadioMan
07-15-2009, 05:18 PM
I think he is just so close to Fernández the he trusts him to provide the best quality available.

Mr. Ed
07-15-2009, 05:21 PM
I was thinking becasue he makes so much stuff he cherry picked from other guys, had no idea it all came from one place. Do you think he's planning to use more of his tobacco in future releases besides My Father?

NCRadioMan
07-15-2009, 05:25 PM
Yes, his fields are very large and will provide tons and tons of baccy. He may get some tobacco from other sources but that is the only one that I know of.

Mr. Ed
07-15-2009, 05:27 PM
Yes, his fields are very large and will provide tons and tons of baccy. He may get some tobacco from other sources but that is the only one that I know of.

Thanks for the info Greg!:tu

duckmanco
07-15-2009, 10:19 PM
used to be, from what I knew was mostly as mentioned above, from Aganorsa or Tropical. Which, if you dig Pepin blends, SOME of the Tropical smokes are very similar in profile for MUCH less.

AndyMadera
07-16-2009, 08:52 PM
You know who else uses all Esteli Tobacco? Andy Madera and Guillen Cigars (Reserva Miraflor, Goviado, Don Fernando, Casa Pineda)

although all nicaraguan we dont have any cigars that are all Esteli ATM. Those blends are all Esteli, and Jalapa

AndyMadera
07-16-2009, 08:59 PM
we do the same thing as hand picking leaf from other growers. It is very efficient to use trusted growers to lend more time to work on blending and marketing. So much work goes into making cigars on all levvels that one man really cant do it all. We have to delegate that!

Steelergar
07-16-2009, 10:01 PM
where does don diego tobacco come from?

awsmith4
07-16-2009, 10:24 PM
where does don diego tobacco come from?

Dominican Republic

http://www.altadisusa.com/cigar/dondiego.asp

awsmith4
07-16-2009, 10:29 PM
I think he is just so close to Fernández the he trusts him to provide the best quality available.

I heard a rumor that they broke ties and that all new Pepin products were Tobacco from his personal farms as well as others but no longer Fernandez. Again this was just a rumor I heard

RichardW
07-16-2009, 10:45 PM

Interesting.. thanks :tu

TomHagen
07-16-2009, 11:38 PM
In Tat's there is some Jalapa, which makes for more sweeter flavors to come through, as it is more north toward Honduras, whereas Esteli is more in your face, more ligero comes from there.
IMHO older Tat browns used to be sweeter, and more complex, and I think contained more Jalapa.
Pete's newest creation will be 100% Esteli and more bold, and more pricey.
I don't think Pepin is completely independent as far as his tobacco supply as some earlier posters noted, but what he is producing is large and in charge.

NCRadioMan
07-17-2009, 08:38 AM
I heard a rumor that they broke ties and that all new Pepin products were Tobacco from his personal farms as well as others but no longer Fernandez. Again this was just a rumor I heard
Perhaps, but he has got to still be using old stock from there because he (Pepin) first planted back in Feb. and that's not enough time to harvest and cure enough tobacco to make all his cigars from his fields, yet. Or is it?