PDA

View Full Version : blind 10 spot review(s)

EEE
07-15-2009, 07:42 AM
In a thread not so long ago I made an, admittedly, horrible introduction in which I challenged a member to blind taste test some cigars that would include the line that he was so against. In that same thread someone else stood up to take the challenge as well.

Those two individuals (Andy/Mark) are receiving 10 cigars that have blank bands on them, save a number that represents what they smoked.

I did not keep track of the vitola, or any other make-up of the cigar, just the brand name. The cigars will be revealed once they give a corresponding review of it.

Andy/Mark - please note that you do not have the same cigars based on # order. Andy's #1 may not be in Mark's bag at all, or may be #8 -- only the end of the reviews will show the truth.

I hope this engages some good conversation and at the bottom of it I hope that this helps serve as an apology for my brash introduction.

So, with that, lets see where this all shakes out.

I ask that they use a 10 point scale (10 being best) on the overall smoke. Any other details they would like to provide is purely up to them.

Andy

Mark

GreekGodX
07-15-2009, 08:08 AM
These always turn out great! cannot wait to see the reviews

bonjing
07-15-2009, 08:10 PM
this looks interesting. look forward to seeing the blind reviews!!!

borndead1
07-16-2009, 12:14 PM
There was an attempted delivery of my cigars yesterday...by FED EX????

Noobs....:rolleyes:

:D Will start smoking them this weekend.

Hippi3Slay3r
07-16-2009, 12:20 PM
http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m50/Cindel_bucket/yr5xiwn4gkya.gif

EEE
07-16-2009, 02:16 PM
There was an attempted delivery of my cigars yesterday...by FED EX????

I can't complain when I don't leave my office, literally, to ship items.:tu

bigloo
07-16-2009, 02:18 PM
Subscribed!

mcmoyer
07-16-2009, 04:03 PM
Let the games begin!!

:D

TheTraveler
07-16-2009, 05:08 PM
Subscribed. I love these!

http://i359.photobucket.com/albums/oo32/TheTraveler_bucket/Avatars/popcorn.gif

Starscream
07-16-2009, 07:12 PM
http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m50/Cindel_bucket/yr5xiwn4gkya.gif

That's just plain creepy looking.

ade06
07-16-2009, 07:17 PM
That's just plain creepy looking.

I like it... :banger

Starscream
07-16-2009, 08:26 PM
These always turn out great! cannot wait to see the reviews

this looks interesting. look forward to seeing the blind reviews!!!

Subscribed. I love these!

http://i359.photobucket.com/albums/oo32/TheTraveler_bucket/Avatars/popcorn.gif

I've got ten here to do for Eric, and then I also have 5 blind reviews to do for MCS. I'll open that thread up after they've finished resting for a bit from the travel.

borndead1
07-17-2009, 07:36 AM
:D Will start smoking them this weekend.

I guess I spoke a little too soon. The cigars are in the freezer right now. I will take them out Sunday, probably start smoking them on Monday or Tuesday.

borndead1
07-19-2009, 02:10 AM
CIGAR #1

A toro sized cigar with a dark brown wrapper. Nicely constructed and heavy in the hand. Perfect draw. Pre-light draw is a faint grassy flavor.

First few draws are pure tobacco with earth and hay through the nose. "Strength" of the flavor is medium.

About 1" in...this cigar tastes OK. It's not objectionable but not wowing me either. Still a faint hay flavor in the nose, but mostly tobacco, earth, and a teeny bit of floral. The aroma coming rom the foot of the cigar is very earthy.

If I were forced to guess at this point, I would say that this is NOT a Rolando Reyes cigar. But I will smoke more before makng my final judgement. Right now I would guess that this cigar is Honduran, or contains quite a bit of Honduran tobacco.

About 2" the cigar is taking a turn for the worse. The dominant flavors are still there, but the finish has taken on a bitter flavor. Not bad enough to make me pitch the cigar, but enough that I would say I am not ENJOYING the cigar.

Halfway point...the flavor of this cigar is going back and forth between OK and bad between draws. Maybe it needs more humi time? It tastes like it has the potential to be a decent yard gar.

I am going to go ahead and make my determination now.

I would guess that cigar #1 is NOT a Rolando Reyes cigar.

Starscream
07-19-2009, 07:38 PM
http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/picture.php?albumid=350&pictureid=2463
Cigar #1

Construction: 5x52, natural wrapper, a bit veiny

Pre-light Draw: smooth draw, grassy w/ a bit of sour flavor

1st Third: Upon lighting, I detect grass and ammonia flavors. Ammonia flavor has gone, but the grassiness has not. Sweetness has come into play. Still has grassy notes, but the sweetness is in the forefront. Sweetness is still there near the end of the 1st third, but a mustiness is appearing.

2nd Third: Very mellow. Grassiness is faint, as is the sweetness. Nose exhale is very smooth. Not much going on in the second third. It seems that if I want to get any flavors out, I have to rush it, but I’m scared that it will start tunneling. Pretty mild-bodied at this point. At the end of the second third, the grassiness is replaced by wet hay(?) or something like that w/ a bit of mustiness. This stick is becoming more medium-bodied in strength.

Final third: Sweetness has retired completely, replaced by mustiness/wet hay. With about an inch and a half to go, it’s starting to become too harsh in flavor (even after purging), but I smoke on for a bit anyway. A nutty flavor appears momentarily, and the cigar starts to tunnel. At the very end, it peaked and I quite enjoyed this cigar for a minute or two, but the harshness returned and I had to put it out.

Final thoughts: The burn on this cigar was good. It burned even for the most part. I didn’t have to make any corrections in the burn. This cigar was okay for those who love mild sticks, but for me (who is a fan of strong, Nicaraguan sticks with pepper and spice) it wasn’t anything special. This stick was very grassy and later replaced by wet hay. It wasn’t a bad stick; I might smoke another with coffee early in the morning. The grass and hay reminded me of the Reyes stick that I smoked, so I would guess that cigar #1 was a Reyes product, but I might be wrong.

Would I smoke this cigar again? I would pair it with coffee as an early morning smoke, but it wouldn’t be on my favorites list, nor my goto list.
Would I purchase this cigar? If I could get a bundle for around $30 I would, but otherwise no. If I was gifted this cigar I would smoke it, but I don’t feel that it would be worth my money unless it was very cheap.

EEE
07-20-2009, 06:26 AM
With the two of you having some of the same cigars in different sections would you like to know instantly what you smoked or after all are complete?

Starscream
07-20-2009, 06:34 AM
With the two of you having some of the same cigars in different sections would you like to know instantly what you smoked or after all are complete?

I'd like to know after each individual review. If you wait until I review all 10 of them, I won't be able to associate the name/brand w/ the experience.

EEE
07-20-2009, 07:05 AM
Fair enough. I will do that.

Andy#1 - Puros Indios Natural
Mark#1 - DPG Blue Label

Starscream
07-20-2009, 07:08 AM
The grass and hay reminded me of the Reyes stick that I smoked, so I would guess that cigar #1 was a Reyes product, but I might be wrong..

:tu On the money.

MajorCaptSilly
07-20-2009, 07:16 AM
This is interesting! Andy is on the money and Mark described none of the characteristics of a DPG Blue Label.

MCS

EEE
07-20-2009, 07:39 AM
It should be more interesting as different sticks are revealed. To note - both of those sticks have been in my humi since early last year (March). At least Andy didn't hate the PI. :) LOL

kenstogie
07-20-2009, 07:54 AM
I love these blind reviews. Munch, munch (popcorn).

Starscream
07-20-2009, 08:27 AM
It should be more interesting as different sticks are revealed. To note - both of those sticks have been in my humi since early last year (March). At least Andy didn't hate the PI. :) LOL

I didn't hate it, but it still didn't change my mind about PI. I'm still keeping an open mind, though, as your initial comment that started this all was correct. No one should write off a whole brand after smoking just one stick.:tu

EEE
07-20-2009, 08:29 AM
I was wrong as well..... First try you were able to detect that it was a PI product. ;)

Starscream
07-20-2009, 08:29 AM
This is interesting! Andy is on the money and Mark described none of the characteristics of a DPG Blue Label.

MCS

Yeah, I was kind of surprised when I found out Mark's cigar was a Pepin Blue.:confused:

Starscream
07-20-2009, 08:31 AM
I was wrong as well..... First try you were able to detect that it was a PI product. ;)

There are still nine more to go. I may be proven wrong yet.:)

nozero
07-20-2009, 08:42 AM
This is interesting. Subscribed!
:tu

borndead1
07-20-2009, 08:50 AM

Mark#1 - DPG Blue Label

No way! Really?????

Wow...if that was a DPG Blue, then I think the roller forgot to add ligero. :r

CIGAR #2

Another toro sized cigar with a medium brown wrapper. Again very well constructed with a perfect draw. Pre-light draw is a faint tobacco flavor.

First few draws are quite nice. Big spice kick in the nose. Medium strength but a lot of flavor. Sweet on the draw and spice through the nose.

About 1" in...I am enjoying this cigar. Nice flavor, nice aroma coming from the foot. Good burn. The sweetness is gone. Flavors are straight earth and spice. The ash is a nice light gray, evenly colored.

Halfway...a little milder but still flavorful. Earthy flavor is dominant now with the spice in the background.

I gotta say, this is a pretty tasty cigar. A good midday smoke. Not too mild and not too strong.

I would guess that cigar #2 is NOT a Rolando Reyes cigar.

EDIT: I'm gonna throw out a wild guess as to what cigar this is.

Is it a 5 Vegas Classic?

EDIT #2: Scratch that.

EEE
07-20-2009, 10:09 AM
Mark#2 - La Gloria Cubana

borndead1
07-20-2009, 10:25 AM
Mark#2 - La Gloria Cubana

Aww DAMMIT! That was my second guess! :r:r:r

Bah! I shoulda just posted it instead of doubting myself.:bh

I knew it was a Sumatra wrapper. First guess was 5 Vegas Red, second guess was LGC.

Mr. Ed
07-20-2009, 01:25 PM

MCS

That's the funny part about smoking cigar blind. :ss

lou2row
07-20-2009, 01:57 PM
Mark, your doing MI proud! Keep up the good work!

I love watching these unfold. One of the best ways to put the hype aside and find out what you really like.

borndead1
07-21-2009, 08:37 AM
CIGAR #3

A robusto sized cigar with a light brown wrapper with blemishes. Looks like a low grade Connecticut wrapper. Pre-light draw is pure hay.

First few draws are pure hay and grass. Burn is crooked.

About 1" in...the hay and grass are not as strong but still there. Finish is bitter.

A little further...mildewy hay with a bitter finish. I'm done with this cigar.

I would guess that this cigar IS a Rolando Reyes cigar.

GoldnGT
07-21-2009, 09:13 AM
Subscribed... gotta watch this one unfold.

EEE
07-21-2009, 11:43 AM
Mark #3 - Reyes Family - Classic

Starscream
07-21-2009, 12:27 PM
Wow, Mark. I gotta catch up.

mcmoyer
07-21-2009, 02:27 PM
Mark #3 - Reyes Family - Classic

And he nails it!!

:wo

Coz77
07-21-2009, 05:01 PM
Well done...nice thread

Starscream
07-21-2009, 06:36 PM
Cigar #2
http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/picture.php?albumid=350&pictureid=2472

Construction: 6x52 dark brown, veiny wrapper

Pre-light draw: nice draw, hints of cedar

1st Third: Initial flavor is sweet. Very smooth. A slight mustiness appears, but still sweet.

2nd Third: Pretty much the same as the first third: sweet with a slight mustiness. This cigar is not complex. It's not bad, just very one-dimensional. The sweetness through the nose is more dominant. Mustiness is replaced by a leathery flavor.

Final Third: Pretty much the same as the first two thirds.

Final Thoughts: A nice medium-bodied stick. I liked the flavor, just wish it had more complexity to it. It had a nice even burn. This stick reminded me of an RP Vintage 90-92 or maybe a Cuba Libre on a good day. This is not a Reyes cigar.

EEE
07-22-2009, 08:11 AM
Andy #2 - DPG Blue Label

Starscream
07-22-2009, 08:17 AM
Andy #2 - DPG Blue Label

The missing label does make a difference, huh?:D I just associate Pepin bands with full-bodied sticks. I do usually detect sweetness from the DPG Blue, but usually more pepper along with it. I guess some of the pepper and strength I usually associate with Pepin are just in my head sometimes (b/c I'm expecting it to be there). I'm not as surprised as Mark was with his DPG Blue. I liked the one I smoked.:ss

borndead1
07-22-2009, 08:20 AM
CIGAR #4

Another robusto sized smoke with a medium brown wrapper. Heavy in the hand and well constructed. Draw is a little tight but not bad. When I clipped the cap it popped right off and flew into the trash. I love when that happens. :D

Pre-light draw is tobacco and a bit of hay.

First few draws are sweet tobacco with hay on the finish. The aroma coming from the foot is unpleasant. The kind of smell that would make people around you complain.

About 1" in...flavor is grass and hay with a bitter, chemical-like finish. I will give it another few draws before I throw in the towel.

Blech.

EEE
07-22-2009, 09:10 AM
Interesting the different tastes from the same cigars.

Mark #4 - Puros Indios Natural.

bigloo
07-22-2009, 09:15 AM
Nice job so far Mark....Andy, Andy Andy....

This thread is great!

borndead1
07-22-2009, 12:24 PM
Interesting the different tastes from the same cigars.

Mark #4 - Puros Indios Natural.

borndead1: 4
EEE: 0

EEE
07-22-2009, 12:33 PM

LOL.... Though you were so off on the DPG you shouldn't count that as a success. ;)

Starscream
07-22-2009, 12:35 PM
Cigar #3
http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/picture.php?albumid=350&pictureid=2474

Construction: 5x54 natural, very thin wrapper. Very loosely rolled. A cheap quality cigar by looks alone.

Pre-light: tastes bitter

1st Third: Starts out very harsh with a grassy flavor. Very harsh through the nose. A slight sweetness is detected when exhaling from the mouth, but harshness through the nose. Mildewy flavors appear. If I weren't a "nose smoker", this cigar wouldn't be that bad, but I do not like it so far.

2nd Third: Hay and grass appear. Sweetness is very faint. Still harsh through the nose. The draw is very loose adn smokes fast (not necessarily a bad quality in my book). Sweet flavor returns near the end of the 2nd third; the harshness begins to mellow. I'm finally enjoying the cigar (at this point). If I wasn't writing a review, I would not have waited this long for the cigar to mellow out. Still a bit grassy and hay, but not bad at this point.

Final Third: The harshness returns. Grassiness continues. Sweetness is gone. I put it out with an inch left unsmoked.

Final Thoughts: The end of the second third was good, but I normally wouldn't suffer through a harsh stick like this just to hit the "sweet spot". I wasn't a fan of this cigar, and would guess that it was a Reyes product.

Starscream
07-22-2009, 12:37 PM

LOL.... Though you were so off on the DPG you shouldn't count that as a success. ;)

I'm not really keeping score on this one. I'm just trying to be open minded to Reyes sticks. I kind of hope I find a PI product that I like, but I am doubtful so far.

borndead1
07-22-2009, 12:42 PM

HA! That DPG was a fake. :rolleyes:

Did you get it from a guy whose cousin works at the factory?

AND...at least I knew it wasn't a PI :r

EEE
07-22-2009, 01:30 PM
I'm not keeping score. Just having some fun and seeing how this all turns out.

Starscream
07-22-2009, 02:00 PM
Cigar #3
http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/picture.php?albumid=350&pictureid=2474

Construction: 5x54 natural, very thin wrapper. Very loosely rolled. A cheap quality cigar by looks alone.

Pre-light: tastes bitter

1st Third: Starts out very harsh with a grassy flavor. Very harsh through the nose. A slight sweetness is detected when exhaling from the mouth, but harshness through the nose. Mildewy flavors appear. If I weren't a "nose smoker", this cigar wouldn't be that bad, but I do not like it so far.

2nd Third: Hay and grass appear. Sweetness is very faint. Still harsh through the nose. The draw is very loose adn smokes fast (not necessarily a bad quality in my book). Sweet flavor returns near the end of the 2nd third; the harshness begins to mellow. I'm finally enjoying the cigar (at this point). If I wasn't writing a review, I would not have waited this long for the cigar to mellow out. Still a bit grassy and hay, but not bad at this point.

Final Third: The harshness returns. Grassiness continues. Sweetness is gone. I put it out with an inch left unsmoked.

Final Thoughts: The end of the second third was good, but I normally wouldn't suffer through a harsh stick like this just to hit the "sweet spot". I wasn't a fan of this cigar, and would guess that it was a Reyes product.

I'm not keeping score. Just having some fun and seeing how this all turns out.

Anxiously awaiting to find out what this stick was...

EEE
07-22-2009, 02:10 PM
Andy #3 - Reyes Family Classic

EEE
07-22-2009, 02:12 PM
My responses are delayed sometimes as I'm traveling and using the blackberry to check in here. :) lol

Starscream
07-22-2009, 02:24 PM
My responses are delayed sometimes as I'm traveling and using the blackberry to check in here. :) lol

No worries. Look over my impatience.:):tu

Starscream
07-22-2009, 02:26 PM
Andy #3 - Reyes Family Classic

So far I'm still not a fan of Reyes cigars. Still keeping an open mind though.

EEE
07-22-2009, 04:46 PM
so far, you've smoked 3 of the same cigar - just different "brand" names. ;)

Starscream
07-22-2009, 10:38 PM
Cigar #4
http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/picture.php?albumid=350&pictureid=2476

Construction: 5x50 dark brown maduro wrapper, solid stick, overall nice appearance

Pre-Light Draw: coffee flavor, nice smooth draw

1st Third: I taste chocolate after the first few puffs. The draw may be a little too wide/loose, but I can adapt to that. Very slight hints of pepper. For the most part this cigar is sweet and smooth. A medium-full bodied smoke. I am enjoying this cigar.

2nd Third: Still enjoying this stick. Sweetness with a little earthiness combine for a nice experience. The burn is a little crooked; I had to touch it up twice so far. The burn does not detract from my enjoyment.

Final Third: Earthiness is more dominant. I'm not a fan of earthy flavor (Ghurka), but it's working for me with this cigar. The burn is still not very even, requiring touchups, but it's still not to the point of detracting from my overall enjoyment. With about an inch left, the stick got too hot and I had to put it down. I wish it could have lasted longer.

Final Thoughts: I liked this cigar. It's the best of the bunch so far. This is not a Reyes product.

Starscream
07-22-2009, 10:42 PM
Note: I won't be writing any more reviews until Saturday. I am going out of town on a camping trip with two of my kids and will not have internet access. I'll get back to reviewing as soon as I get back. Sorry for the inconvenience. I look forward to getting back to doing the rest of the reviews, both here and the blind reviews for Scott (MCS). This is fun!

EEE
07-23-2009, 06:27 AM
Andy #4 - Cuba Aliados - corojo - dbl maduro (Reyes)

This is a step in the right direction. :)

To make note of my reply last night regarding smoking the same sticks. For all intents the Puros Indios nat and Reyes Family Classic nat are the same cigar.

borndead1
07-23-2009, 08:38 AM
CIGAR #5

A robusto with a maduro wrapper. The cigar has weight, but the draw is loose.

First few draws are a musty tobacco flavor. The flavor soon gets a bit better though, showing fairly typical maduro flavors of coffee and unsweetened cocoa. Burn is a bit crooked. So far, not a bad smoke.

About 1" in...the burn is getting pretty annoying, as is the loose draw. It makes getting a good mouthful of smoke difficult. The flavor is slowly becoming less pleasant. The draw and initial nose exhale are still OK, but the finish is taking on sort of a spoiled milk flavor and leaves a bitter aftertaste.

This one is gonna be tough to call.

About halfway...the smoke is burning a bit on the nose exhale, and the sour flavor on the finish has intensified. I'm gonna go ahead and call it just based on the familiar flavor of the finish.

EEE
07-23-2009, 09:15 AM
Mark #5 - Reyes Family Premier

Steelergar
07-23-2009, 11:03 AM
This is fun to read but how couldn't you guys notice the triple cap on the DPG blue label.

Aldebaran
07-23-2009, 12:34 PM
Quite a few brands are starting to tripple cap it seems soon it will be easier to identify a cigar when it isnt triple capped.

This is a fun topic thanks for it.

Starscream
07-25-2009, 04:23 PM
Andy #4 - Cuba Aliados - corojo - dbl maduro (Reyes)

This is a step in the right direction. :)

To make note of my reply last night regarding smoking the same sticks. For all intents the Puros Indios nat and Reyes Family Classic nat are the same cigar.

I found one Reyes product that I would smoke again. It's not a Puros Indios, but I will check out this Reyes stick again.:tu

Pat1075
07-26-2009, 09:42 PM
I enjoy the Cuba aliados Double maduro as well but watch out when they are fresh they are just as bad as everything else they need time (2-3 years)

borndead1
07-27-2009, 08:21 AM
CIGAR #6

Another robusto, medium brown wrapper with streaks running through it that are a shade darker. Once again, very good construction, cap pops right off, perfect draw. Pre-light flavor is a very faint grass.

First few draws...mildewy hay with a sour finish. Familiar flavor in the nostrils, familiar aroma coming from the foot.

I'm gonna call it at less than 1".

EEE
07-27-2009, 11:49 AM
Mark #6 - Pros Indies nat.

This is the last of those.... Promise. :)

borndead1
07-27-2009, 12:02 PM
Mark #6 - Pros Indies nat.

This is the last of those.... Promise. :)

HA!

That's 4 out of 5, sucka! You ready to eat them words?

Why not just tell me which one is the final Reyes so I can throw it away and enjoy the rest of the cigars? :r

EEE
07-27-2009, 12:50 PM
Nope.... LOL

HK3-
07-27-2009, 08:32 PM
This has been great to follow. Thanks for taking one for the team Mark! :banger I mean 6! :)

borndead1
07-28-2009, 08:46 AM
CIGAR #7

A robusto with a maduro wrapper. Draw is very loose. Pre-light draw is a very faint hay flavor.

First few draws...burning in the nostrils and not much else.

About 1" in...the burning has subsided, flavor is meh. Not good. The aroma coming from the foot is not good either.

I am not enjoying this cigar at all...HOWEVER...I'm gonna keep smoking it. Maybe it's the spicy hot tacos I just ate, but I can't make a call yet.

About halfway...still can't call it. I should have smoked it before I ate the tacos! :(

Dammit...now I am inspecting the remaining cigars and comparing them to this one visually! :r The flavor of cigar #7 makes me want to say Reyes, but the appearance of cigar #10 looks like the type of dull, blemished wrapper that Sr. Reyes likes to use.

Ahhhh screw it. It does taste bad, but the "signature Reyes flavor" of moldy hay and rotten milk isn't REALLY strong, so...

I would guess that this cigar IS NOT a Rolando Reyes cigar.

EEE
07-28-2009, 08:53 AM
Mark #7 - Cuba Aliados corojo del maduro

This is the same one that Andy mentioned that he liked. Maybe the tacos did throw it off?

EEE
07-28-2009, 09:01 AM
For some reason the site won't let me edit ... Or won't take what I'm typing. Anyway "del" = dbl.

Starscream
07-28-2009, 09:14 AM
I'll have my next review up by this evening. The Cuba Aliados I smoked sounds like a completely different cigar than Mark's. Maybe it was the tacos.

borndead1
07-28-2009, 11:13 AM
Mark #7 - Cuba Aliados corojo del maduro

This is the same one that Andy mentioned that he liked. Maybe the tacos did throw it off?

NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

Ruined my perfect record!!! :(

My first instinct was that it was a RR cigar.

Damn tacos! :r

Starscream
07-28-2009, 05:55 PM
Cigar #5

Sorry, but I forgot to take a pic before I smoked this one.

Construction: 5x50 dark brown wrapper (maduro), looks like a mixed filler cigar. The cap is poorly constructed. I get bits of tobacco in my mouth from the pre-light draw. The wrapper and binder are firm, but the filler is very loosely rolled.

Pre-Light Draw: Salty, leathery flavors are detectable. The draw is smooth.

First Third: The first few puffs are like bitter coffee. An inch into it, the coffee flavor is still there, bitter with a very slight hint of sweetness to it. It's like drinking a large coffee with only one packet of sweetner in it. The cigar has a damp, musty quality along with the coffee flavors. Very mild so far.

Second Third: Pepper is detectable through the nose. The cigar is a little stronger at this point. The pepper was temporary and quickly dissapears. Mustiness and bitterness are dominant. Some sweetness appears at the end of the second third. Wet and musty mixed with a little sweetness.

Final Third: Bitterness and mustiness continue. The sweetness is gone.

Final Thoughts: This cigar might have potential after a long rest in the humi, but I was not a fan. It reminded me of a very mild Padilla Obsidian ROTT (Obsidians are good smokes, but they need a very long rest before they are good). This cigar is too bitter and musty for me. Maybe after some time in the humi, the sweetness will become more prominent. This is a very one-dimensional cigar.
I would guess that this was a Reyes product b/c of the mustiness, but I could be wrong. The construction and the mustiness are qualities that this cigar shares with all but one of the Reyes products that I have smoked.

EEE
07-29-2009, 06:37 AM
Andy #5 - CAO Black VR

borndead1
07-29-2009, 07:48 AM
Since I've already smoked all 5 PIs, do I still have to review the final 3 or can I smoke them at my leisure?

FINAL SCORE:

borndead1 - 4
EEE - 1

MajorCaptSilly
07-29-2009, 07:50 AM
Andy #5 - CAO Black VR

Andy = Epic Fail!!;) First one! I don't like anything by CAO either.

MCS

Starscream
07-29-2009, 08:57 AM
Andy = Epic Fail!!;) First one! I don't like anything by CAO either.

MCS

I like the CAO Brazillia, but that's about it. I was highly dissapointed in the CAO Gold, Black, and completely let down by the Sopranos. I guess the VR isn't to my liking either.

I thought that this cigar might be a Reyes b/c of the mustiness, but it didn't have any grassy and wet hay flavors that come with most Reyes and PI sticks.

borndead1
07-29-2009, 10:31 AM
Haaa haaa....my palate is more refined than Andy's! :fu

Starscream
07-29-2009, 10:38 AM

:tg;)

AndyMadera
07-29-2009, 12:10 PM

Well to be honest he did hint that it MAY not be a reyes family cigar. I dont think he was way off on that #5 review... And if you want to really be picky, taking the review of your Pepin into consideration, I think this tie you both up if anything! hehehe:fu Andy was more basing his judgment wether it was a reyes or not based on if it was good... He just didnt take into account there are other cigars out there with the same qualities.

Nice reviews guys, I really enjoyed reading them.

Starscream
07-29-2009, 06:09 PM
Cigar #6
http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/picture.php?albumid=350&pictureid=2508

Construction: 5x50 medium/light brown wrapper

Pre-Light: Smooth draw with hints of cedar.

1st Third: The aroma is pleasant upon lighting. Cocoa flavor appears briefly then dissapates. Cedar is also present. A slight citrus flavor is now detectable. Cedar and citrus: not a bad combination. Citrus is now the dominant flavor. A little bit of spice is detectable through the nose.

2nd Third: Still very citrusy. Flavor has remained very consistent.

Final Third: Citrus is still strong.

Final Thoughts: I enjoyed this stick, even though it wasn't very complex (which isn't always bad in my book). Citrus is a flavor that isn't very prevalent in many cigars that I smoke, so it was nice to have for a change.
There is no way that this is a Reyes product.

EEE
07-29-2009, 06:52 PM
Cigar #6
http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/picture.php?albumid=350&pictureid=2508
There is no way that this is a Reyes product.

Andy - Your #1 & #6 are the exact same cigar, from the same box --

#6 - Puros Indios Nat

yes, I'm serious

Starscream
07-29-2009, 07:12 PM

#6 - Puros Indios Nat

yes, I'm serious

There is no way. No hay or grass or wet hay at all in this stick. Maybe it was a miracle that this one was good.:)

Edit: I went back and compared the pics of #1 and #6. They look the same. :hm

Emjaysmash
07-29-2009, 07:17 PM

#6 - Puros Indios Nat

yes, I'm serious
Now that, is fun. Nice twist EEE

Aldebaran
07-29-2009, 08:56 PM
I like this it really shows how much a label can influence our taste or how much our palette changes day to day.

bigloo
07-29-2009, 09:03 PM
HAHAHHAAHA, EEE, you sneaky bastard... brilliant... rep coming your way sir. (need to rep other before more rep can be given to EEE).

Starscream
07-29-2009, 10:22 PM
I like this it really shows how much a label can influence our taste or how much our palette changes day to day.

My palate does change depending on what time it is, what I'm pairing a cigar with, and many other factors contribute to this. But that was a very drastic change between two of the exact same cigar. My palate influenced the difference some, but I'm chalking this one up as inconsitency by the manufacturer.

I'd love to have another cigar like cigar #6, but if I buy a box of those things and 19 out of the 20 (hell, even 10 out of the 20) taste like cigar #1, then I don't want them. So far I'm hitting .500 with the Puros Indios Natural. I think I might buy a fiver down the line and see if the majority of them taste like hay and grass, or if they taste citrusy like the last one I smoked.
:hm
Eric, you've got my attention and I'm gonna research this one come payday.:tu

EEE
07-30-2009, 05:04 AM
Andy... Don't buy anything yet. Wait until this is complete and if your still this interested I can hook you up.

EEE
07-30-2009, 06:27 AM
What is rep?

HAHAHHAAHA, EEE, you sneaky bastard... brilliant... rep coming your way sir. (need to rep other before more rep can be given to EEE).

bigloo
07-30-2009, 08:07 AM
The little smoke ring represent your reputation.

BlackIrish
07-30-2009, 08:38 AM
The little smoke ring represent your reputation.

Click on User CP at the upper left to see your reputation. You've got some!

Starscream
07-30-2009, 09:57 PM
Cigar #7
http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/picture.php?albumid=350&pictureid=2517

Construction: 6x52 medium brown wrapper, squared off foot

Pre-light Draw: smooth with hints of cedar

1st Third: Upon lighting I immediately taste a dry grassy flavor, mixed with ammonia. Ammonia is gone. Not a whole lot of flavor going on, but I taste a little citrus. Citrus is gone. I now detect vanilla. Some spice through the nose.

2nd Third: This cigar has lost its flavor; nothing but straight tobacco. There is some nice spice through the nose. A nuttiness is also detectable through the nose.

Final Third: Not getting much out of this cigar at all. Kind of tasteless at this point.

Final Thoughts: This cigar was sub-par. It had its moments where it was ok, but it was pretty mild and bland. I smoked this one after dinner on a full stomach (when I’d normally smoke a strong stick), so maybe I didn’t give it a fair shake. I did like the spice through the nose, but for the most part this was lacking on flavor.

I couldn’t tell you if it was a Reyes stick, but I’m not a fan of this stick at this point.

EEE
07-31-2009, 06:22 AM
Andy #7 - La Gloria Cubana.

And you have caught up to Mark. :)

Starscream
07-31-2009, 09:38 AM
Andy #7 - La Gloria Cubana.

And you have caught up to Mark. :)

Makes sense. I'm not a big fan of the LGC naturals, but I do love the maduros.

Starscream
08-02-2009, 05:03 PM
Cigar #8
http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/picture.php?albumid=350&pictureid=2526

Construction: 5x54 dark brown wrapper
The cigar looks like it has been dried out and rehumidified. The foot has expanded and is starting to crack. The wrapper is very brittle.

Pre-Light: smooth draw, cedar flavor

1st Third: Upon lighting I detect both a grassiness and coffee flavors. Coffee and sweetness are now dominant; the grassiness is gone. The burn on this cigar is horrible; I've had to make three corrections in the first two inches alone. The flavor is great, however.

2nd Third: The cigar reminds me of a Mayorga maduro; great on flavor, but horrible burn. It still has a coffee/cocoa, sweet flavor. I really enjoy the flavor, but the burn is annoying. I discovered that the wrapper has been dyed. It's getting sticky and my fingertips are turning brown. Flavor is still good though.

Final Third: I barely got into the last third before I put it out. My fingers are very sticky and brown, and the burn is too annoying to keep touching up. I liked the flavor, but the construction and dye forced me to put it down.

Final Thoughts: This cigar could have had potential, but the dyed wrapper and burn issues ruined the cigar. I did enjoy the coffee and sweet flavors it produced, but it wasn't worth putting up with the nasty, sticky, brown residue all over my fingers. I greatly enjoyed this cigar until the dye got in my way. I would say that this is not a Reyes cigar because of the flavor, but it may be Reyes due to the construction. I do not know if Reyes dyes their maduro wrapper or not.

EEE
08-02-2009, 06:29 PM
Andy #8 - Reyes Family Premier...

I don't know what happen with your stick here. I've smoked a good two dozen of these and haven't had the severe burn issues and never had the discoloring on the hands. I can't speak on the topic of this company dying the leaves as I don't work for them. What I can say is that I have met and had many conversations with guys at Reyes and am under the impression that they don't do this practice. I am absolutely serious when I say that I will find out what they do.... If they dye them I won't hesitate to let everyone know.

Starscream
08-02-2009, 06:44 PM
Andy #8 - Reyes Family Premier...

I don't know what happen with your stick here. I've smoked a good two dozen of these and haven't had the severe burn issues and never had the discoloring on the hands. I can't speak on the topic of this company dying the leaves as I don't work for them. What I can say is that I have met and had many conversations with guys at Reyes and am under the impression that they don't do this practice. I am absolutely serious when I say that I will find out what they do.... If they dye them I won't hesitate to let everyone know.

It was definitely a dye job on this stick. I'm not against dying wrappers like some people are here. I love the Indian Tabac SF maduro (which has a dyed wrapper), but I've never had the dye come off on my fingers like that. Maybe they left the wrapper in the dye way too long for this stick.

BTW, I've had 2 1/2 Reyes sticks that have had a good flavor profile. So props to Eric on that side.

Starscream
08-02-2009, 08:37 PM
Cigar #9
http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/picture.php?albumid=350&pictureid=2527

Construction: 5x50 solid

Pre-Light Draw: Cedar and peppery flavors, loose draw, bits of tobacco left in my mouth

1st Third: Upon lighting, it doesn’t have any flavor, but is very peppery through the nose. Slight hints of chocolate and cedar arise. Still peppery through the nose. A nutty flavor is present.

2nd Third: Nutty flavor persists and a woody flavor arises. Pepper is still in the nose but has mellowed quite a bit.

Final Third: Nutty flavor has subsided and a sharp cedar flavor has taken control. Pepper is gone completely at this point. The finish has a little bite to it.

Final Thoughts: Not a bad cigar. It didn’t wow me by any means, but it was quite enjoyable. I’d consider putting this one in my rotation. This is not a Reyes cigar.

EEE
08-02-2009, 09:37 PM
Andy #9 - Cuba Aliados Miami series .......

I've went through about 2 boxes of these now. I absolutely love them. I admit you got one of the younger ones, as it was all I had at the time, but with even a few months age on them they are even better.

They are literally rolling these non-stop down in Miami right now as demand has been so high for them so any that you get from this point forward are probably going to be a little young still.

BTW - where did Mark go?

Starscream
08-02-2009, 09:55 PM
Both of the Cuba Aliados cigars that I've tried have been good.:tu

borndead1
08-03-2009, 08:22 AM
BTW - where did Mark go?

I'm still here. :D

CIGAR #8

Robusto with a medium brown wrapper with VERY pronounced veins. I mean I haven't seen vericose veins like this since I ran into Hillary Clinton at the beach. Draw is loose. The head of the cigar is pretty soft. Pre-light draw is sweet grass.

First few draws...hmmm....hey, waaaait a minute. What's the big idea?

EEE -- are you SURE that only 5 of the 10 cigars you sent were Reyes cigars?

Honestly, this does taste like a Reyes cigar. Harsh through the nose, mildewy hay and a sour, chemical-ish finish. The aroma coming from the foot is unpleasant.

Starscream
08-03-2009, 10:39 AM
EEE -- are you SURE that only 5 of the 10 cigars you sent were Reyes cigars?

I have had 6 Reyes cigars so far.

EEE
08-03-2009, 12:22 PM
Lol.... Don't think I ever mentioned how many Reyes sticks were going to be in this. :)

Mark #8 - Cuba Aliados Miami edition. Seriously you are the first person I have heard say bad things about this stick. I would like to send you a couple more just to try out again.

Starscream
08-03-2009, 12:43 PM
I guarantee that I can send you 10 blinded sticks and you wouldn't be able to pick out the 5 Puros Indios/Reyes Family ones I put in there. In fact - I would be willing to bet money that if you gave 10 honest reviews that you'd rate a couple of them at the top of your list.
The original challenge was for 5 PI's and 5 non PI's, but I'm not worried about it. I've had fun participating, regardless.:tu

BTW, I should have my final review completed before tomorrow.

EEE
08-03-2009, 02:26 PM
D'OH!

Aye yai yaiiii.....

This is the first time I ever do a blind review and I screw it up. Yowza.

SchizoFilly
08-03-2009, 02:54 PM
D'OH!

Aye yai yaiiii.....

I don't see a screw up....it's just a way to help get an honest opinion....this has been great reading btw :tu

Uflbassin
08-03-2009, 03:18 PM
I mean I haven't seen vericose veins like this since I ran into Hillary Clinton at the beach.

:pu

Starscream
08-03-2009, 03:58 PM
D'OH!

Aye yai yaiiii.....

No worries. As long as all of them weren't PI sticks.:tu
You didn't screw anything up in my book.

EEE
08-03-2009, 04:21 PM
hahaha - if I would have put all PI/Reyes sticks in there I would have definitely had you rate some at the top of the list! LOL

I've definitely eaten a little crow on this challenge - but, I'm big enough to handle it. With 1 or 2 left I want to say thanks to Andy & Mark for not only stepping up to my challenge, but not taking my retardedly aggressive approach too seriously and giving me a chance to see what they thought about a few sticks.

I'm good friends with the Reyes peeps and often stand up for their sticks even when people have a good foundation for not liking the PI line(s).

hopefully this moved people to, at minimum, give some of the other Reyes lines another chance.

HK3-
08-03-2009, 04:32 PM
This has been a great thread to follow. Thanks for allowing us outsiders to participate in following this adventure. Great work all three of you! :tu

Starscream
08-03-2009, 04:34 PM
Eric has more than made up for his first post. Give the man some rep for me.

ade06
08-03-2009, 06:55 PM

Agreed! Way to go EEE!

HK3-
08-03-2009, 08:03 PM

Consider it done! :tu One from me to the each of you fellas.

Starscream
08-03-2009, 09:42 PM
Cigar #10 (Final Review)
http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/picture.php?albumid=350&pictureid=2528

Construction: 5x50 oily, veiny, dark brown wrapper

Pre-Light: smooth draw w/ cedar taste

1st Third: I taste hay immediately upon lighting, along w/ a trace amount of cedar. Hay is gone, leaving the cedar alone to itself. Ash is flaky, but the burn is good. Almost done w/ the first third and still picking up nothing but cedar.

2nd Third: Still a strong cedar taste, but some mustiness is creeping in. Near the end of the second third I am tasting bitterness. The bitterness quickly turns to a nutty flavor.

Final Third: Three flavors all at once: cedar, nuttiness, and faint traces of chocolate. The final third is the sweet spot; all three flavors mix quite well for an enjoyable experience.

Final Thoughts: This cigar was ok. Pretty lackluster, but ok nonetheless. The finish was quite good. This is similar to some of the other PI sticks I’ve had; lackluster until the finish. This might be a PI stick, but it didn’t carry the grassy mildew flavors that the regular PI sticks have.

Starscream
08-03-2009, 09:45 PM
Now that I am done with all of the reviews (:( wish it wasn't over), I would like to say thank you, Eric, for the experience. I have thoroughly enjoyed completing these reviews and trying new sticks (even if I didn't like all of them). I now have a new line of sticks to check out, the Cuba Aliados line by Reyes. I liked those, but not so much the PI sticks (although one of the PI naturals was quite good too:tu).

borndead1
08-04-2009, 07:30 AM
Lol.... Don't think I ever mentioned how many Reyes sticks were going to be in this. :)

Mark #8 - Cuba Aliados Miami edition. Seriously you are the first person I have heard say bad things about this stick. I would like to send you a couple more just to try out again.

Thanks man. You don't have to do that.

Seriously. Please don't. :r

borndead1
08-04-2009, 08:37 AM
CIGAR #9

Robusto with a dark maduro wrapper. Very well constructed, perfect draw. Pre-light draw is faint tobacco.

First few draws...hmmm...Reyes. Not too bad though, the wrapper seems to be taming the moldy hay and rotten milk flavor.

About 1" in...blech. I knew it wouldn't last.

EEE
08-04-2009, 08:52 AM
Andy #10 - cuba aliados corojo dbl maduro

Mark #9 - CAO Black VR

borndead1
08-04-2009, 09:44 AM
Andy #10 - cuba aliados corojo dbl maduro

Mark #9 - CAO Black VR

Really? Man, that thing was nasty. Damn...that's 2 strikes for me. :(

CAO needs to work on their cigars instead of the presentation of their cigars. :r

Starscream
08-04-2009, 10:24 AM
Really? Man, that thing was nasty. Damn...that's 2 strikes for me. :(

CAO needs to work on their cigars instead of the presentation of their cigars. :r

:tpd:
That's what I thought about the VR as well.

EEE
08-04-2009, 12:26 PM
Hmmmmmm that sounds like the same sentiment I have towards Gurkha. How anyone smokes cigars from a guy that doesn't smoke his own cigars is beyond me.

Starscream
08-04-2009, 01:57 PM
Hmmmmmm that sounds like the same sentiment I have towards Gurkha. How anyone smokes cigars from a guy that doesn't smoke his own cigars is beyond me.

Every Gurkha I've tried have tasted like dirt. I'm sure there's a good Gurkha out there, but I've yet to try it. I don't want to try out 15 different Gurkhas just to find one good one.

lou2row
08-04-2009, 07:01 PM
Every Gurkha I've tried have tasted like dirt. I'm sure there's a good Gurkha out there, but I've yet to try it. I don't want to try out 15 different Gurkhas just to find one good one.

Cmon Andy...........

five blind Gurkhas, five blind others.

You got this down to a science, don't quit now! :):banger

Starscream
08-04-2009, 07:18 PM
Cmon Andy...........

five blind Gurkhas, five blind others.

You got this down to a science, don't quit now! :):banger

You offering the challenge?:r

EEE
08-04-2009, 08:31 PM
Ohhhhhhh snap!

LOL

Starscream
08-04-2009, 08:35 PM
Ohhhhhhh snap!

LOL

EEE
08-05-2009, 06:47 PM
It was definitely a dye job on this stick.

Andy - regarding dyeing (sp?) their sticks.

I said I would ask them, and I did. Because this was the first time I had ever heard someone stating that they had color residue on their hands from a PI/Reyes product I made sure that they (Reyes peeps) knew what was going on here - as far as blind reviews. I did this so they didn't think some random person out there was out there making stuff up because they don't like the line.

Anyway, I was given a very matter of fact, friend to friend, response that Reyes does not, has not, and will not dye their leaves. Rolando Sr. is absolutely against it. They asked if you had any pictures of your fingers, which I didn't think you did. Not that they thought you were lying but wanted to see what it looked like.

They couldn't think of why this happened but (as your review stated) it had so many different issues going on with it - they think you got a different stick. I took that as them saying that the blind, 3 fingered guard, at their facility mistook a wrapper for toilet paper and you were smoking a crap leaf. lol

While I will admit that you were able to call out most of the Reyes products I never noticed any of the cigars (with you or Mark) that had even near the issues that the cigar in question had. Something was seriously amiss with that one.

Long story short - they don't dye their leaves. I trust their answer to me and I hope that that can stand as some sort of comfort on your end.

Starscream
08-05-2009, 07:07 PM
Long story short - they don't dye their leaves. I trust their answer to me and I hope that that can stand as some sort of comfort on your end.

No offense to Reyes, but how many manufacturers are going to actually tell a customer that they dye their wrappers. I know Rocky Patel dyes some of his maduros, but has he actually come out and admitted it? (Serious question. I don't know the answer). Anybody got any info on this (how many manufacturers actually make dyed maduros vs. how many actually admit it)?

lou2row
08-05-2009, 07:39 PM

You offering the challenge?:r

pm me your addy.
EEE, you want in?

edit; don't know if this forum has that feature. Just in case; lou2row AT hotmail. Borndead has herfed with me before, he can vouch for me (I think).

EEE
08-05-2009, 08:52 PM
Andy - understand being leary of the response. Admittedly i'm not a consumer for them. While I don't work for them I do sell their cigars on the side. I have hung out with these guys on numerous occasions. They have been very frank with things that go on in the industry. If you want to talk in more detail I would be more than happy to talk one on one with you. :)

As far as Rocky.... Yeah, you don't have to be an insider to question some of his stuff. How is he getting 15 year+ tobacco when the Boom was going on and even the big guys were struggling to get leaf in?

I don't want to start any conspiracy theories here though.....

EEE
08-05-2009, 09:02 PM
Lou

I don't have anything against the taste of Gurkhas - it is much more of a personal issue of someone selling me something that they don't have any first hand knowledge of.

I will smoke dyed Rocky's because I see him smoking the same cigar. I might laugh at some of the marketing but as long as he is smoking those sticks I can at least try it.

pm me your addy.
EEE, you want in?

edit; don't know if this forum has that feature. Just in case; lou2row AT hotmail. Borndead has herfed with me before, he can vouch for me (I think).

Starscream
08-05-2009, 09:16 PM
I will smoke dyed Rocky's because I see him smoking the same cigar. I might laugh at some of the marketing but as long as he is smoking those sticks I can at least try it.

I was a big RP fan when I first got serious about cigars. I still like them from time to time, but I'm not obsessed with them like I was. I don't have a problem with dyed maduros, I smoke the Indian Tabac SF maduros a lot. I don't have a problem w/ them as long as the dye doesn't come off on my hands.

GoldnGT
08-06-2009, 08:16 AM
I knew that some of them were dyed, but had no problem with it (RP's) but overall I've always enjoyed a good RP cigar, but like Andy.. i'm not as huge into them as I once was.

borndead1
08-06-2009, 10:05 AM
There are very few cigar makers that don't "enhance" their maduro wrappers in some way. I smoked a Padron 80th and my fingers looked like I ran out of toilet paper. Smoked an Anejo that did it too. On the other hand, I've smoked cheapo, pitch black bundle cigars that didn't stain my fingers.

I think it depends on the "dye recipe". ;)

Also, I've found that some cigars will "absorb" some of the dye with time. La Floridita and El Mejor Espresso are 2 examples.

If'n it makes ya feel any better, they don't use shoe polish or anything to color the wrappers.

Starscream
08-06-2009, 10:16 AM
If'n it makes ya feel any better, they don't use shoe polish or anything to color the wrappers.

:r:r

I figured they used something similar to food coloring. I'm sure it's safe to smoke, but then again...

bigloo
08-06-2009, 10:28 AM
You guys do realize that the oils in tabacco, especially those in Maduroed leaves, can stain and impart color? Just because a leaf leaves a mark is no indication of dying.

borndead1
08-06-2009, 10:56 AM

My favorite Gurkha is the His Majesty's Limited Edition Royal Grand Centennial Gold Vintage Triple Ligero Anniversario Reserve Ancient Nepalese Titan Beast Warrior. :D

I've tried quite a few Gurkhas. The Expedition was a decent smoke, there was another one, I think Grand Reserve, in a Connecticut wrapper that was pretty good, and I smoked through a 5 pack of Centurian perfectos that I thought were pretty good smokes. Didn't like the Doble Maduro, the Royal Brigade, Nepalese Warrior, and there are a couple others I can't remember the names of.

My problem(s) with them are the inconsistent construction and flavor of the cigars, and, quite frankly, the hype. I hate hype. Make a GOOD, CONSISTENT cigar. I don't give a crap about the name on the band. I don't care what the box looks like. And I don't wanna see a ridiculous price tag either. A cigar that retails for $30 a stick? $40 a stick? $750 a stick? Who are you trying to fool? My mama didn't raise no sucka!

Starscream
08-06-2009, 11:05 AM
My favorite Gurkha is the His Majesty's Limited Edition Royal Grand Centennial Gold Vintage Triple Ligero Anniversario Reserve Ancient Nepalese Titan Beast Warrior. :D

I've tried quite a few Gurkhas. The Expedition was a decent smoke, there was another one, I think Grand Reserve, in a Connecticut wrapper that was pretty good, and I smoked through a 5 pack of Centurian perfectos that I thought were pretty good smokes. Didn't like the Doble Maduro, the Royal Brigade, Nepalese Warrior, and there are a couple others I can't remember the names of.

My problem(s) with them are the inconsistent construction and flavor of the cigars, and, quite frankly, the hype. I hate hype. Make a GOOD, CONSISTENT cigar. I don't give a crap about the name on the band. I don't care what the box looks like. And I don't wanna see a ridiculous price tag either. A cigar that retails for $30 a stick? $40 a stick? $750 a stick? Who are you trying to fool? My mama didn't raise no sucka!

I've had one in a Connecticut wrapper. Not bad if you like Connies, but too mild for me. The Doble Maduro and whatever the barber pole one was were awful. They both tasted like dirt (a heavy earthy flavor).

We started this out with PI and Reyes, move on to Rocky Patels, and now Gurkhas. Where did we go wrong?:D

EEE
08-06-2009, 04:31 PM
There are very few cigar makers that don't "enhance" their maduro wrappers in some way. I smoked a Padron 80th and my fingers looked like I ran out of toilet paper. Smoked an Anejo that did it too. On the other hand, I've smoked cheapo, pitch black bundle cigars that didn't stain my fingers.

I think it depends on the "dye recipe". ;)

Also, I've found that some cigars will "absorb" some of the dye with time. La Floridita and El Mejor Espresso are 2 examples.

I've had behind the scenes looks and conversations with more than just the Reyes group and I can tell you this may have been the case 10/15 years ago but not anymore - at least with most manufacturers. Consumers are becoming too educated and expecting better.

I can't speak for ALL manu's but there are fewer and fewer of them that dye their cigars.

lou2row
08-07-2009, 08:16 PM
Well, Andy took me up on my offer. EEE, you have first shot at the other position since you graciously put on round one. If not, Mark or someone else that has followed this thread can step in.

I'm more interested in which cigars you enjoy more than picking the Gurkhas. My biggest issue with gurks is construction. Several have flavors I've enjoyed, but they have fell apart on me more than any other cigar manufacturer. I always believe that in a blind review without any hype, you are more prone to find what you like.

So, who else wants to play?:ss

Starscream
08-07-2009, 08:46 PM
I'm more interested in which cigars you enjoy more than picking the Gurkhas.

Is this a question for me? What do I like right now?

I'm into strong sticks. I like about anything Nicaraguan at this point. I mellow out with some Padrons and a few CCs that people gift me, but if I'm picking it out, I go for the power and strength. I haven't found much power in Gurkhas yet.

borndead1
08-08-2009, 04:08 AM
CIGAR #10

Robusto with an ugly blemished wrapper. Pre-light draw is grass and hay.

First few draws...

lou2row
08-08-2009, 06:41 AM
Is this a question for me? What do I like right now?

I'm into strong sticks. I like about anything Nicaraguan at this point. I mellow out with some Padrons and a few CCs that people gift me, but if I'm picking it out, I go for the power and strength. I haven't found much power in Gurkhas yet.

I meant what you think of the ten blind sticks versus just "gurkha or not" as an answer, but this will help with a lineup.

EEE
08-08-2009, 08:05 AM
Mark # 10 - hoya de nicaragua

Very interesting.

This was the only cigar that Andy didn't get because he was the one I was actually challenging to the Reyes part of this. I'm wondering if you psyched out and thought you were smoking a Reyes stick and your brain told you what to taste vs what you were actually tasting. Almost like if were given an Opus X with a Mac label.... Would we still think it tasted like an Opus X? This is very interesting.

EEE
08-08-2009, 08:09 AM
Lou - sure, I'm game. I will send over my addy.

yourchoice
08-08-2009, 08:29 AM
Very entertaining thread guys. EEE, WTG offering up like you did. Andy and Mark, nice job on the reviews.

EEE
08-08-2009, 08:37 AM
You have great tastes in your baseball team and that you football and hockey choices follow suit.:ss

mcmoyer
08-08-2009, 10:35 AM
Very entertaining thread guys. EEE, WTG offering up like you did. Andy and Mark, nice job on the reviews.

Ditto...you all did a great job of it. Thanks!!

:tu

yourchoice
08-08-2009, 12:12 PM
You have great tastes in your baseball team and that you football and hockey choices follow suit.:ss

If you're referring to me, yes indeed. Four sport Philly guy here (yes, I even pull for the Sixers). I also pull for the city schools during the NCAA's.:tu

Starscream
08-08-2009, 12:27 PM

Very interesting.

This was the only cigar that Andy didn't get because he was the one I was actually challenging to the Reyes part of this. I'm wondering if you psyched out and thought you were smoking a Reyes stick and your brain told you what to taste vs what you were actually tasting. Almost like if were given an Opus X with a Mac label.... Would we still think it tasted like an Opus X? This is very interesting.

I love some JdNs, especially the Antano. Maybe you're on to something with the label thing. I beleive I got psyched out on the DPG blue label. Never had any grass or hay from a JdN.
If you're referring to me, yes indeed. Four sport Philly guy here (yes, I even pull for the Sixers). I also pull for the city schools during the NCAA's.:tu

Not a Phillies fan here, but I'm damned proud of them for bringing a championship home to the National League. Now if only we could win an All-Star Game.

EEE
08-08-2009, 01:10 PM
I think the next round I do this it will be completely blind and not a single brand name given prior

Starscream
08-08-2009, 06:09 PM
I think the next round I do this it will be completely blind and not a single brand name given prior

I think that would be a good idea. I was thinking that every stick I smoked was going to be a PI, therefore I was expecting the worse out of all of them.

EEE
08-08-2009, 08:01 PM
while typing on a blackberry - the English language is ruined. LOL

Next month - two more volunteers for a fiver blinder. Maybe I'll do this every month???

borndead1
08-09-2009, 09:12 AM

Very interesting.

Not a big fan of JdN...that might explain it. Smoked a few Celebracions and did not like them at all, smoked a few Antanos that were OK but nothing special. I found that they needed too much humi time for a NC. I guess I coulda been a little bit psyched out though. :tf

My final word on Reyes cigars:

I've smoked a lot of them over the past few years, and they all had a familiar flavor and aroma that I just don't like. Obviously they have fans or they wouldn't have been in business this long. Maybe it's the way they cure or ferment their tobacco, I dunno.

But hey, that's what makes this hobby/obsession of ours so interesting. Different smokes for different folks. It's the same with food. I don't like asparagus. To me, PIs are the equivalent of smoking asparagus. :D

EEE -- thanks for the challenge, bro. It was an eye-opening experience.

yourchoice
08-09-2009, 10:35 AM
It's the same with food. I don't like asparagus. To me, PIs are the equivalent of smoking asparagus. :D

Hmmm, asparagus is my favorite vegatable. wonder how it would smoke? :D :hm

lou2row
08-10-2009, 06:25 PM

I'll go with that on this one. No sense having you worry that every cigar is going to be a Gurkha. Plus, most the ones I had several of were going to be dead giveaway figurados! You could have called em before you even lit em. But a couple will be Gurkhas, just not many.

Just printed out labels, they will ship tomorrow morning.

DC#'s

I will start a new thread for the next round. Hope something hits your taste profile and you find something interesting to try. Almost every cigar is one I keep around and is part of my regular rotation.

kenstogie
08-11-2009, 01:49 PM

Yup that the way to do it. Mix em up.. .put some great inexpensive smokes and some great semi-expensive ones in there. Alway fun to watch people's reviews.

EEE
08-11-2009, 07:03 PM
Yup that the way to do it. Mix em up.. .put some great inexpensive smokes and some great semi-expensive ones in there. Alway fun to watch people's reviews.

and even some top shelf ones ........ see if guys, not knowing what it is, think it's junk. lol

lou2row
08-11-2009, 07:32 PM
and even some top shelf ones ........ see if guys, not knowing what it is, think it's junk. lol

I about threw an anejo in the mix to see if you guys could tell, but I take it too personal on expensive cigars when guys dog em out. When guys busted my balls after smoking San Cristobals and Coranados bLF the last time I wasn't real receptive to their opinions any more.
Plus I found ten that I thought (we will see?) would be fun for reviews pretty easily.

Starscream
08-11-2009, 10:03 PM
I about threw an anejo in the mix to see if you guys could tell, but I take it too personal on expensive cigars when guys dog em out. When guys busted my balls after smoking San Cristobals and Coranados bLF the last time I wasn't real receptive to their opinions any more.
Plus I found ten that I thought (we will see?) would be fun for reviews pretty easily.
I started out smoking almost exclusively Fuente. But my tastes have changed. I've never smoked an Opus or Anejo, but the last good Fuente I smoked (Sungrown Cuban Belicoso) was horrible, so I wouldn't want to think my reviews suck b/c of one stick.

I see your point. I would be a little upset if I was called out on what I thought was a great premium cigar, and the person I sent it to said it sucked.

kenstogie
08-12-2009, 07:14 AM
Taste is in the "eye" of the beholder. It's funny but some less expensive stick I enjoy just as much as the top shelf stuff. Tthat's why I think it's great to mix em up... so people can see what they really like not what there supposed to like.

lou2row
08-12-2009, 07:12 PM
Well, I think a couple of guys were trying to be entertaining critics instead of just reviewing the cigars.

Starscream
08-12-2009, 09:15 PM
Well, I think a couple of guys were trying to be entertaining critics instead of just reviewing the cigars.

"Not I," said the goat. I try to be as fair as possible. I don't try to impress anyone with my reviews; I just like to share my experiences of good cigars (and some bad ones too).

lou2row
08-14-2009, 03:52 PM
No, this was from a time before. You guys did a great job; that's why I thought it would be fun to continue this. If more people follow it and want to play along next month, you may actually get to smoke a cigar with a band on it before the snow flies!