PDA

View Full Version : Uneven Burn Advice...really?

Les Nessman
07-11-2009, 07:23 PM
Going through my email, read the Cigar Advisor newsletter put out by Famous. I read the tip of the week below and found it odd. Does anyone let the cigar go out, clip and relight to correct an uneven burn?

Leave the ligero alone!

One of the causes of an uneven burning cigar comes from ligero leaf that wound up a little too much on one side of the cigar when it was rolled. Since ligero has a lot of oils (which contribute to its rich flavor), it is also the slowest burning leaf in the blend. For that reason it is normally placed in the middle of the bunch when rolled and helps form a conical shape when the cigar is ashed. As the cigar begins to burn unevenly, I have seen cigar smokers take their lighter and run the flame back and forth along the trouble side of the cigar. This is an attempt to dry it up a bit in the hope that doing so will rectify the situation. Actually, they’re making the situation worse. In addition to the risk of scorching your cigar and ruining it altogether, by adding more heat, more oils are released making the ligero burn even slower - and quite possibly turning it bitter, too. The best solution is to let the cigar go out and cool down, clip it behind the ash and start with an even foot, then relight the cigar as evenly as possible.

Ashcan Bill
07-11-2009, 08:01 PM
Personally, if I'm having that much trouble with the burn and a touch up or two doesn't help, I'll just pitch it a light up another. I'm lazy.

St. Lou Stu
07-11-2009, 08:04 PM
Personally, if I'm having that much trouble with the burn and a touch up or two doesn't help, I'll just pitch it a light up another. I'm lazy.

:tpd:

I RARELY re-light a cigar..... I get a lot more ass flavor after I do re-light one... and that isn't my favorite flavor.

M1903A1
07-11-2009, 11:48 PM

I had a lousy drive this evening with a Monte 4 that was clearly overhumidified. I should have thrown it in the drybox last night and didn't. Only my stubbornness (and realizing every stick in the traveldor was in the same condition) kept me from pitching it. Oh, and my cheapness too.:rolleyes:

I keep trying to tell myself, when I cut it and do that first pre-light draw, if it doesn't "draw like a straw", put it back.

Volt
07-12-2009, 07:32 AM

I DO NOT fight bad burning or bad tasting sticks. Too many others to pick from and life is too short for the aggravation.

Emjaysmash
07-12-2009, 07:36 AM
BAd Burn, I can deal with. Bad taste, well then there's no resaon to smoke it anymore, is there?

kydsid
07-12-2009, 08:25 AM
I have done that once or twice but not as a matter of habit. And when I have done it it has been on sticks where I still have at least half left after cutting. I just can't bring myself to only smoke 1/4 of a $20 stick.

BlackDog
07-12-2009, 08:27 AM
BAd Burn, I can deal with. Bad taste, well then there's no resaon to smoke it anymore, is there?
^^ What Emjay said. I find my Ronson Jet Lite is great for correcting uneven burns. Very easy to target the slow burning spot.

rizzle
07-12-2009, 08:34 AM

I RARELY re-light a cigar..... I get a lot more ass flavor after I do re-light one... and that isn't my favorite flavor.
THE BUCK TOOTHED DOG IS BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:tu:tu

darkninja67
07-12-2009, 10:19 AM
I have an uneven burning cigar once in awhile but a really tight draw absolutely kills it for me every time. Luckily at 65% I have not had any draw issues in awhile.

Totemic
07-12-2009, 02:13 PM
About the only advice that seems to work for lopsided burns is to turn the slow burning side down on the ashtray in between draws.

This does seem to help with the slightly askew burns but when it goes wonky by an inch or more, I generally find it to be a lost cause.

Silound
07-12-2009, 02:20 PM
Unless we're talking a massive inch or more uneven burn, I don't care how it burns. The one thing that chafes me more than anything is a cigar that won't stay lit for 30 seconds on it's own though.

AriesOpusX
07-12-2009, 04:05 PM
I'll roll the slow burning side to the bottom 90% of the time it corrects within another 1/2 inch. Re-lighting ruins the taste completely IMO.

gnukfu
07-12-2009, 04:26 PM
I haven't had an uneven burning cigar in a loooooong time - cuban or non-cuban.....ever since I got my Vino's and got it locked in.

Scottw
07-12-2009, 04:57 PM
I'll roll the slow burning side to the bottom 90% of the time it corrects within another 1/2 inch. Re-lighting ruins the taste completely IMO.

:tpd: this works for me

nozero
07-12-2009, 07:25 PM
I'm almost at the end of a box of El Rey Del Mundo Robusto Larga, most of which have had "one sided" burn issues and I've used a lighter to even them up with no problems.

sboyajian
07-16-2009, 08:13 AM
I've found that (when I'm sober.. don't try this drunk haha).. if you blow threw the cigar (like you were purging it) while you touch it up with a lighter, it won't get that overheated bitter taste.

I'll usually roll it over or give it a light blow on the light end to see if I can correct it, but if not, I give the light/blow trick a shot.