PDA

View Full Version : Computer problems!

kaelaria
07-08-2009, 01:13 AM
Just thought I'd share my recent adventures in computer land as I sit here eeking data out of a dying drive...

First a little background...I had been in the IT world for more than a decade till a few years ago when I went full time photographer. There's nothing I can't fix, but that doesn't mean I enjoy it! As an IT geek I always had the latest and greatest, and built all kinds of wild systems - pretty much the best there was at the moment, just for fun. This includes overclocking, watercooling, etc.

As a photographer, processing these huge 30MB raw files and 1GB+ tif files showed me how my IT knowledge could come in real handy! So when I switched I built one last system (so far) that would last me, and surprisingly it has - mostly due to the IT industry really slowing down development the past 2 years.

Until 2 weeks ago I had been running a heavily overclocked dual core and 3GB of ram. Not much of a system you might say, and to an extent you would be correct. However, I was still running 32 bit XP, so for the most part anything more was wasted. I had been putting off Vista due to speed and driver issues, and 64 bit was out of the question for driver and compatability reasons. Every so often I would dual boot to try new stuff out, and would always go back to XP in the end. Well, FINALLY this spring, enough of my apps, drivers and plugins were available for Vista 64 that I decided to upgrade. There are still a few 64 bit issues, but at least there are work arounds until new software versions come out (mostly Photoshop Plug-ins). My printer drivers and hardware is all good now.

So, I not only went to 8GB ram, which was what I was REALLY looking forward too (I could use 10x that amount if it was available) but went to a quad core CPU. Long story short, it turns out the particular revision of my motherboard was great with dual core, but pretty unstable with quads, and OC a quad is horrible. Unfortunately I can't find my receipt for it so I can't get a free swap, and had to buy a used one on eBay (coming Fri). The 8GB of ram in the meantime was 50% bad out of the box and I had to RMA 2 of the 4 sticks. Now tonight, one of the three primary internal drives decides to take a dump! And of course, it was the one drive that had stuff on it I had not re-backed up due to my stupidity. I use a 4TB external array for backup, and had just reformatted it to better take advantage of Vista. I had recopied everything except this one drive and was going to later. Murphy was an optimist.

LUCKILY, after 4 hours of coaxing and error corrections, I am able to eek it partially back to life and have been copying what I want off it little by little at about 5% speed in between crashes, freezes and errors. This may be the last tie it ever spins up again so I'm staying up all night to complete it before swapping it out. 5 hours to go. Yea.

So the moral of the story? BACKUP, and **** happens.

Volt
07-08-2009, 03:51 AM
Ouch, as I also still do the IT stuff, you have had a run. As an after thought, have you considered a RAID option. Even the more basic MOBOs are supporting at least mirroring. You moght even look at a RAID 5, you may see a bit of speed increase with those monster pic files.

kaelaria
07-08-2009, 04:18 AM
I already use RAID, both for the primary and backup. I use 0 for the primary and 5 on the ext backup. If I couldn't even afford the few hours downtime, I would build a monster 5 internal system though. And yes, the 0 brings a nice speed boost to the large files!

Well, things are wrapping up - took 5 hours to get everything moved, got the new drive in place. Now to update the backup script! If I had stuck to my normal procedures this would have been a simple 30 min drive swap. Live and learn...

Ashcan Bill
07-08-2009, 08:09 AM
I can relate. Looks like I lost one of my PCs this morning. :(

Not even sure I want to spend the time troubleshooting it. I may just pull the hard drive and toss it in another machine for now.

doctorcue
07-08-2009, 10:46 AM
Posts like this make me want to get a drobo. I'm sure there are cheaper options though. This is why I like Apple's Time Machine. Pretty much backs up everything.

kaelaria
07-08-2009, 12:48 PM
I use a Drobo! lol Time machine is nothing special, just an external hard drive. Drobo works in Raid 5 (above 50% capacity, raid1 below) to also protect against drive failure, and actually works as a Time Machine if you wish (automated OS controlled revisioning and backup)

BORIStheBLADE
07-08-2009, 11:21 PM
I use time machine and like it. Its nothing special, but I don't have to go digging for the new stuff I put on my pc.

Right now I have all 160 of my dvd's ripped. I have a copy on two separate 1tb external HD's. Once these are filled I'm going to build a raid.

I'm so scared of losing these movies, it took me forever to rip them.

kaelaria
07-08-2009, 11:36 PM
lol I know what you mean - try doing 1,500 DVDs and 100 blu-rays!! :)

earnold25
07-09-2009, 08:13 AM
i know it's lame, but try to get a copy of your data offsite, or at least away from your computer. RAID is great for data availability, but doesn't help if your PC catches fire like mine did :(

kaelaria
07-09-2009, 09:02 AM
If I have a fire or some other home destroying event, my data will be the least of my worries lol! When the company gets bigger though, I will use off site storage for sure.

earnold25
07-09-2009, 11:36 AM
well, my home was fine. a stupid cold cathode light power supply went up in flames one day. :)

BORIStheBLADE
07-09-2009, 06:29 PM
lol I know what you mean - try doing 1,500 DVDs and 100 blu-rays!! :)

Damn... I can only imaging how long that took.

What format do you have your DVD's in?