The cigar: La Aroma de Cuba Edicion Especial #3

Nutritional information:
Vitola: 6x50 toro
Origin: Nicaragua
Wrapper: Ecuador
Binder: Nicaragua
Filler: Nicaragua

The marketing:
Courtesy of Ashton: La Aroma De Cuba Edicion Especial is a wonderful new cigar manufactured in Nicaragua by Jose "Pepin" Garcia. Handcrafted in small batch fashion by a select group of master rollers, this is a cigar for the connoisseur with a seasoned palate. The flavors within this cigar are tremendously complex. Beautiful, seamless, pumpkin-colored wrappers embrace an enchanting Cubanesque blend of rich, well-aged Nicaraguan tobaccos. These wrappers are cultivated in Ecuador under direct sunlight from Cuban seeds. The flavors are medium to full-bodied, rich and zesty. Hearty notes of earth and cedar are accompanied by lighter notes of leather and cinnamon. Available in 6 sizes in cedar chests of 25. Discover this fantastic new cigar for yourself!

From CI: A bold new statement from La Aroma. Enjoy Edicion Especial, a tasty new variety from La Aroma de Cuba. Carefully crafted by hand in Nicaragua by cigar artisan Jose ’Don Pepin’ Garcia, the Edicion Especial is enchanting through and through. On the outside, a leathery Cuban-seed wrapper glistens with oils. Grown in the misty valleys of Ecuador, this flavorful leaf conceals a robust mixture of aged Cuban-seed long-fillers from the black, volcanic soils of Nicaragua. Together, these tobaccos produce a hearty experience layered with deep, toasty flavors. A silky bouquet smacks the palate with an earthy core of aromatic nuances supported by notes of cedar, leather, and white pepper. Medium to full-bodied, La Aroma de Cuba Edicion Especial is a satisfying, well-made cigar built for enjoyment.

In addition to a 93-point rating and ’Humidor Selection’ honors, La Aroma de Cuba Edicion Especial was named one of the Top Cigars of the Year, numero four to be exact. The rating noted: "A very attractive belicoso with a great draw and evenburn. Every puff is rich with coffee and cocoa notes, yet well balanced by cedary flavors and plenty of spice."

Pre-Light: This cigar looks Cuban. The wrapper is that same dusty brown color, slightly mottled and with some uneveness in color that gives it a bit of a candy-cane look. The wrapper is more silky than oily, with moderate veining, and the seams on mine were not quite flat. The bunching was good, and it was well filled, with just a touch of give. Gorgeous band, if you're into that sort of thing, ornately embossed and colorful. The triple cap was very nicely applied and it sliced easily. Unfortunately, my particular sample had a bit of damage, a little cracking near the foot.

I didn't get much aroma, but the cold draw delivered some pepper on the tip of my tongue and a distinct flavor of hay.

Light & Burn: The initial lighting was easy. The crack near the foot caused a little running through the first inch, but once it burned past that spot the burn evened out. Overall, the burn was generally good, with some occasional wobbly, but no touchups were necessary. Burn rate was nice and slow: this toro gave me 1.5 hours of smoking time. The ash, white with gray striations, was good, a tad soft and slightly flaky, but it clung well, dropping only with some help in 1" pellets.

Construction: I expect a cigar made by Don Pepin Garcia for Ashton to be well built. This one was mostly well built. Draw was very good to excellent, with some resistance, which I like. As noted above, there was some damage near the foot. The filler was nicely bunched, but I expect the seams to be more, well, seamless. The cap was excellent, no problems there, but I did get a little bit of wrapper cracking during the smoke. The first was a small crack along a vein at about the halfway point, which didn't cause any problems. A second crack appeared in the final couple of inches, and this one was more of an issue because it grew and gapped open as the filler swelled from the heat.

Flavor: The flavor on lighting was very Pepin, with spice and pepper on the back palate and the exhale. The front palate was hay, a flavor that I don't care for much.

After the first inch, the hay receded, happily, yielding to cedar notes, which grew in strength. The pepper had largely disappeared, resulting in a fairly mild flavor profile with a woody, dry finish.

As I approached the midpoint, the flavor filled out a bit, and I caught a couple of brief notes of coffee. The coffee didn't stick around long, and the cedar regained prominence. The flavor was smooth, no spice to speak of, and, frankly, a bit flat. There just wasn't much going on here. The finish was still dry cedar.

Things picked up as I entered the last third. The body picked up and the flavors started to round out nicely. The cedar yielded, the coffee reappeared, and I was pleased to detect some faint sweetness on the exhale -- this was a nice, unexpected shift. The last third was easily the best part of this cigar, a nice reward for having persisted through a boring middle.

Summary: I'd enjoyed some regular LADCs and knew that CA had given very high marks to the Edicion Especial robusto, so I was looking forward to this smoke. Overall, I was a bit disappointed. I expected grade A construction, but got A-/B+. Ashton's description led me to expect a fuller, bolder Nicaraguan flavor profile with real complexity. I got a somewhat flat flavor profile that showed a little dynamism in the last third. This wasn't a bad cigar by any means, not at all, but it wasn't exceptional either.

The Poet
07-06-2009, 03:22 PM
I have had several regular LADCs, and enjoyed them almost enough to pony up what I consider too much for them. Thanks for the review - now I won't let these "Specials" tempt me.

NCRadioMan
07-06-2009, 03:25 PM
The toro is the worst of the lot. Try the robusto or the corona gorda and you may find a big difference.

kydsid
07-06-2009, 03:28 PM
The toro is the worst of the lot. Try the robusto or the corona gorda and you may find a big difference.

Agreed. The LADC Robusto is a constant in my humi. I need to get some EE's to try. Thanks for the review and it's honesty.

BlackIrish
07-06-2009, 03:38 PM

Good to know -- I think I've got a #5 (robusto) tucked away somewhere.

Mr B
07-06-2009, 05:21 PM
I have tried the Robustos and the Corona Gordas. I find the CG to be the most flavorful, full and spicy of the two.
My experience was much different than yours. Perhaps try one of the smaller sizes for a different flavor profile. Especially if you are a lover of the DPG blends.
my :2

Col. Kurtz
07-06-2009, 08:04 PM
I have had several regular LADCs, and enjoyed them almost enough to pony up what I consider too much for them. Thanks for the review - now I won't let these "Specials" tempt me.

The EE is a whole different animal. Nic vs. Dominican. Pepin vs. ?.

If you like the regular, stay far, far away from the EE.:r

blckthree
07-06-2009, 08:14 PM
The EE is a whole different animal. Nic vs. Dominican. Pepin vs. ?.

If you like the regular, stay far, far away from the EE.:r

I hope you are wrong about that. I just picked up an EE today, thinking the regular LADCs were pretty good and I would try the EE. That mention of a lot of 'Hay" in the taste doesn't leave me eager to try it.

Mike :ss

GreekGodX
07-06-2009, 08:39 PM
I like these. I got one of these in a PIF.. Enjoyed it.

Good review :tu

Steelergar
07-06-2009, 10:35 PM
i 'like the robusto, but would not make these a regular smoke.

Col. Kurtz
07-07-2009, 06:28 AM
I hope you are wrong about that. I just picked up an EE today, thinking the regular LADCs were pretty good and I would try the EE. That mention of a lot of 'Hay" in the taste doesn't leave me eager to try it.

Mike :ss

Maybe my attempt at humor didn't translate. In my opinion the EE is worlds better than the regular LADC. If you already like the mediocre one, don't try the EE, you bank account will soon be drained.

darkninja67
07-07-2009, 07:14 AM
Great review. I like the EE a lot more than the regular myself. The robusto and the #5 belicoso are my favorite in the line.