PDA

View Full Version : Living in the Bay Area

bigloo
07-05-2009, 09:26 PM
Guys,

Good chance I will get a job opportunity in the bay area, more specifically San Jose. I have friends who love it, others who hate it. Just seeing what some of the guys here who have lived there or do live there think of the area. My main concern is the cost of living, traffic and coming from Portland, the general friendliness of the area.

Thanks,

Lu

Giant & 49er Fan
07-05-2009, 09:42 PM
California is awesome (bay area especially - born and raised there). Very diverse, both in climate and culture. I loved being able to go an hour in any direction for snow, city life, beach, mountains, lakes and etc. However, as a young man I left because of the cost of living. I am currently in the OTHER bay area... Tampa Bay. I would love to return. If the opportunity pays well.... DO IT! :tu Find a suberb for cheaper living. It will be worth the commute. Oh, California has terrible cigar tax and non-smoking bans.... something to consider! Hope this helps... and your package will be there on Wednesday.

bobarian
07-06-2009, 01:09 AM
Looks like close to a wash for cost of living. !8% higher cost of living but avg 15% higher pay for similar work. The Bay Area is one of the most culturally diverse area of the country. I have lived in around the Bay for most of my life. Traffic is terrible but you can make adjustments. If you are looking for a new life experience I say go for it! Then you can herf the the Bay Area Brothers of the Leaf(BABOTL)!

http://swz.salary.com/costoflivingwizard/

Darrell
07-06-2009, 01:27 AM
I love me some San Jose. :D

bigloo
07-06-2009, 11:15 AM
Thanks for the input guys.